• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

camu

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry I can't reply individually, but how am I not even halfway done? I've cleared all the dungeons, and been all over the world. I have all the Pendants.

Sorry but this is trolling right? Every reply is people (who have finished the game) telling you you're not even close to done, but you're somehow not convinced cause in the game it seems you're almost done?

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Kinda feels like I should play this lol. I started with the series with OoT when it released and since then I've completed every 3D Zelda. Including playing through OoT 7-8 times all the way through, no exaggeration. And Wind Waker 3-4 times Majora's Mask at least twice.

In terms of 2D Zelda, I am wayyyyy less experienced. I have completed Link's Awakening which I loved as a kid (haven't touched it in like 15 years though and can barely remember the dungeons at all), and briefly played the NES original which was probably a bit boring and difficult for me as I was pretty young at the time but I didn't get far and gave up on it.

Am I an idiot for not playing LttP yet? Seems to be the main "must play" in the series that I haven't touched.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda feels like I should play this lol. I started with the series with OoT when it released and since then I've completed every 3D Zelda. Including playing through OoT 7-8 times all the way through, no exaggeration. And Wind Waker 3-4 times Majora's Mask at least twice.

In terms of 2D Zelda, I am wayyyyy less experienced. I have completed Link's Awakening which I loved as a kid (haven't touched it in like 15 years though and can barely remember the dungeons at all), and briefly played the NES original which was probably a bit boring and difficult for me as I was pretty young at the time but I didn't get far and gave up on it.

Am I an idiot for not playing LttP yet? Seems to be the main "must play" in the series that I haven't touched.
I won't call you an idiot for that, but yeah, play it. Easily my favorite Zelda game ever, then Link's Awakening, and tied with Super Metroid for title of my favorite game of all time.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I dont get all the replies here. If he hasnt really liked the game up until now than the last half to two thirds arent really going to change anything

He didn't liked it because it felt it was short or too little. Obviously once he finds out that was only like 30% of the game, he should not feel the same once he enters the dark world.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Since you called yourself an idiot, then yes, you are an idiot for not having played LttP yet. Correct that mistake at once, so you'll stop being an idiot and become a halfwit for not finishing Zelda 1 & 2. Then once you finish those, you'll be a genius like the rest of us.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
A Link to the Past is one of my top five games of all time. The gameplay, the world, the graphics, the music, the sound effects. It's all perfect. It's aged extremely well and should definitely be played.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly was not trolling. I have to be honest, I haven't really kept up with Nintendo stuff. I know of their praised games, but nothing more.
To me, it felt like completing dungeons, getting the sword, and going to Hyrule Castle in the middle of the map was the series' trademark thing because that's how Breath of the Wild had done it. I legitimately had no idea this was a thing.

Now you get it. You were just playing the tutorial. The game begins now.

Hope you are enjoying the rest of the game.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I am also going to be playing ALttp for the first time soon on the SNES app thingy . and well I played like 10 minutes of it already and haven't went back cause Smash Ultimate keeps calling my name when ever I have time to game ..I played most of the 3d Zelda's so I'm not shocked there's more to the game since most of em are what people say follow the ALttp formula

From the 10 minutes I played what I already kinda dislike that every screen has to move and it isn't seamless...feels jarring..also not a fan of sword combat feels like I'm just mashing away the button to kill stuff. And the map in the dungeons look too same-y too confusing...I feel like I'm gonna need a guide for this game

Fuck I should pick up links Awakening today too...too many games

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all I started MGS2 yesterday. Snake just died and the game was so short. Is this what people meant with Kojima's trolling for this game?

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
There's no way this isn't a troll thread.

However, most entertainment isn't truly timeless. You can't play 25 years of games inspired by what LTTP did and then expect the original to be as fresh for you as it was for us in the 90s.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this was a bait thread, but yeah, you're missing quite a lot of stuff man.

Just get off ERA and keep playing, or else you're going to have your ass spoiled.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is trolling. I don't believe the OP for one second.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
why he still doesn't have a tag

"wait, what"

and I don't understand why people think he is trolling. a LOT of people are discovering old classics this year, including me ( first time playing Ninja Gaiden, from 1981) and I've been playing games since 1991 and posting since IGN/ Gaming Age forums ( pre Neogaf).

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That's literally every Zelda game. If you want to make combos, there's Darksiders or God of War.

Eh my first Zelda was Twilight princess and that game's combat was fun/ more interesting and using the hidden skills to fight enemies was always a blast compared ....to just doing horizontal Slashes, my 2nd Zelda was also Skyward sword where combat once again feel very different and more strategic ...this Alttp feels tooo old-school and unfun again I'm just like still stuck in hyrle castle so we will see

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Eh my first Zelda was Twilight princess and that game's combat was fun/ more interesting and using the hidden skills to fight enemies was always a blast compared ....to just doing horizontal Slashes, my 2nd Zelda was also Skyward sword where combat once again feel very different and more strategic ...this Alttp feels tooo old-school and unfun again I'm just like still stuck in hyrle castle so we will see
The fun in sword combat in the old 2D zelda's is in the timing - and later on in combining items for certain enemies. Most games from that era had really simple button-mash-y gameplay.
The boss battles have some good sword battles, although less complicated compared to modern 2D games.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Getting a few macguffins and heading to the big boss before realizing that you've only just started is such a Zelda staple it's easy to take it for granted. If you were following along from the beginning you pretty much already knew how the return to Forsaken Fortress was gonna go in Wind Waker.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeeze, this thread was a ton of fun and then all the "must be trolling" comments roll in. Can anyone prove it one way or the other? Does it even matter?

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Jeeze, this thread was a ton of fun and then all the "must be trolling" comments roll in. Can anyone prove it one way or the other? Does it even matter?
No and no. There's more evidence that he's sincere than trolling, though; he very recently made a thread on BotW where he mentioned it was his first Zelda, and did in fact play this game after another user suggested it. Very high effort if he was already familiar with the game.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This is kind of a magical moment.
Like when that twitter discovered the Star Wars movies and wasn't aware of the twist at the end of ESB.
Treasure it people, this is how it felt like in the 90s when you discovered shit on your own with the internet to spoil everything.
My moment like that was when playing FFIII (before the DS remake) and being blown away that the world was much MUCH larger than the current overworld.
Interestingly enough, this thread twist is what I expected of Twilight Princess. Totally let me down there.

I guess for a lot of people this is what it felt like to play Pokemon Gold/Silver.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
That entire opening segment, heading out into the driving rain, fighting through the castle dungeons, and finally escaping through the sewers with Zelda, was an unbelievable experience for me as a kid back in 1992. It still ranks as one of my favorite game openings of all time. It serves as a tutorial, but it also throws you right into the game's story, with tense atmosphere and no nonsense or wasted time. It's just perfect.

Now I'm tempted to start a new game. Even though I should probably finish my other Zelda games.

On one of my last play throughs I couldn't help but appreciate little touches like the stone path that leads around the castle to guide you in the right direction, even the way they especially tiled around the bush to make it obvious there was some kind of entrance. There are similar nice game design choices the first time you encounter a lamp that can be lit, or the first time you can dash.. there are always little visual hints or NPC dialogue hinting the correct direction. Another example is the ground shading on spectacle rock and it's equivalent in the dark world, giving you a frame of reference for where you can use the magic mirror.

I did a zero-game run (zero deaths, zero save and quits) the other week and I really enjoyed it but I think given a proper remake treatment like LA they could make it really shine again... I know it's unlikely after the 3DS sequel, but I can imagine the Mode 7 map given a lovely overhaul. Or full 360 degree movement and attacks. They could make the dark world transitions more like the time travel segments in Titanfall 2... Seamless. One thing that stands out to me on replays of ALTTP these days is that there are a handful of music tracks that basically repeat for the full length of the game, and while they're all classics they could probably add in more variation and subtlety in a remake. As evidenced by the Symphony of the Godesses performances, ALTTP deserves an orchestral soundtrack too. I have to wonder if Nintendo thought Grezzo did a good job of it, whether they would then offer them other remakes from the stable.

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
Awesome thread. Lttp is a classic. Really inspired my childhood imagination. My parents' friends owned it and I remember booting up their saves before I had my own copy. Thought it was so rad back then. Might be time to fire up the old switch and have a run through.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly enough, this thread twist is what I expected of Twilight Princess. Totally let me down there.

Do you mean you expected the actual final fight with Ganon to be a fakeout and have the game open up afterwards, with the bulk of the experience left to go? Because Twilight Princess is easily a 40-50 hour game when you go through it blind for the first time, with 9 full dungeons.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Do you mean you expected the actual final fight with Ganon to be a fakeout and have the game open up afterwards, with the bulk of the experience left to go? Because Twilight Princess is easily a 40-50 hour game when you go through it blind for the first time, with 9 full dungeons.
no I expected the twilight realm to not be a simple dungeon and be done with it.
It's supposedly a whole world out there but it's really just a simple dungeon with 3 NPC out there.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
no I expected the twilight realm to not be a simple dungeon and be done with it.
It's supposedly a whole world out there but it's really just a simple dungeon with 3 NPC out there.

Oh ok, yeah I definitely see that. Same kind of thing in Wind Waker with Hyrule under the sea, but then again that game was rushed like crazy.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

But in those games all you do is button mash too. Yeah Wind Waker, and TP added a few special moves here and there to spice things up, you're still just button mashing as your main attack (except SS).

Also, LttP is a 1991 game. You can't expect an adventure game from that era to have combos or hidden moves. Please don't play any of the 2D Zeldas then, because they are all like that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Alright, I'm not going to respond to the individual comments accusing me of trolling, since like I said yesterday evening, I am done with trying to prove my innocent over something as trivial as this, lol.

That said, I did promise an update on my thoughts with the game, so here we go:
  • I have completed two dungeons since entering the Dark World so far.
  • The quality of the game shoots up ridiculously at this point. Dark Palace (I think?) is an incredible feat of level design, and the way it twists on itself and inventively uses your inventory to challenge you and gate progress is fantastic. The Metroidvania comparisons start to make sense here
  • The boss fight was great, and again, I love the usage of your items (it turns out I didn't need to use the Hammer, I could use my bombs, which I thought was neat. I was a bit afraid the game would stick too closely to one puzzle=one solution=one item)
  • The world design is also far more involved now, and again, I get the more involved Metroidvania vibe here with more parts opening up the more items I have
  • One minor disappointment I had going into the second dungeon was that the game wasn't using its two dimensions/overlaying maps for puzzles. As it turns out, the second dungeon does exactly that, so there goes that complaint lol
  • Swamp Palace is great (though I don't like it nearly as much as Dark Palace, other than it needing you to use the Dark World/Hyrule together for a bit)
  • The boss fight here is awful. There was literally no challenge to it. I guess designing a fight around a hookshot in a 2D top down view is difficult, but still, given how much I liked the last three boss fights, this was a bit of a bummer
  • Some general observations:
    • I love the music so much now, especially the overworld theme
    • This game is surprisingly atmospheric for how old it is
    • The difficulty spikes up by a lot in the Dark World
TL;DR, liking the game a lot, lot, lot more now. Veering towards loving it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Either that or they are very much just doing this for the attention. This person has a pretty distinctive username and avatar so it's pretty noticeable that they are constantly creating new threads of frankly dubious quality with some questionable opinions (the nonsense God of War thread sprung to mind where pretty much everyone disagreed with them). I rarely make new threads and if do I ask myself "Is this something new, relevant or interesting that has the potential to foster some decent discussion" and if the answer is no i don't post anything. Except for that one joke thread that was quickly locked that was mocking Resetera in general after some mod pissed me off for giving me shit because i had the audacity to point out how reductive this place has gotten that i was honestly expecting to be banned for.

Also let's be honest. ALttP is an iconic game in one of the most recognisable franchises in gaming with a reputation that very much precedes itself, not to mention being the main blueprint for dozens of latter games in the series, plus it is also an old game. I find it extremely hard to believe that even if the OP hadn't played it before that he wouldn't be aware of the general gist or structure of that game, especially considering how it has inspired countless games that came after it.
Okay, I know I said I wouldn't reply to individual people, and you are banned, but you're extremely hostile, and making false claims, so here we go. First off, what God of War thread are you talking about? The only God of War thread I have made was one where I praised the camera: https://www.resetera.com/threads/go...start-incorporating-one-as-well.140141/unread
More importantly, I outright say in the OP of this thread I like God of War. To me it sounds like you're so worked up over the idea that someone (not me, to be clear) could dislike a game you like that you can't even keep different posters straight.
Secondly, excuse me for trying to use a discussion forum as a discussion forum. If people stop making threads, there's nothing left here.
Finally, it may be shocking to you but there are people out there that literally do not know much about a lot of games, no matter how popular they are. If you talked to more people, you would know that.

EDIT: Double post, sorry

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
But in those games all you do is button mash too. Yeah Wind Waker, and TP added a few special moves here and there to spice things up, you're still just button mashing as your main attack (except SS).

Also, LttP is a 1991 game. You can't expect an adventure game from that era to have combos or hidden moves. Please don't play any of the 2D Zeldas then, because they are all like that.
Not Zelda 2. Up down jump slash down. God that was so amazing then.

Fucking shadow link.

Not full combos but an old game that made you do varied sword play and it was a great addition. Feels like it was moving towards combos, if Zelda could have that.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I know I said I wouldn't reply to individual people, and you are banned, but you're extremely hostile, and making false claims, so here we go. First off, what God of War thread are you talking about? The only God of War thread I have made was one where I praised the camera: https://www.resetera.com/threads/go...start-incorporating-one-as-well.140141/unread
More importantly, I outright say in the OP of this thread I like God of War. To me it sounds like you're so worked up over the idea that someone (not me, to be clear) could dislike a game you like that you can't even keep different posters straight.
Secondly, excuse me for trying to use a discussion forum as a discussion forum. If people stop making threads, there's nothing left here.
Finally, it may be shocking to you but there are people out there that literally do not know much about a lot of games, no matter how popular they are. If you talked to more people, you would know that.

EDIT: Double post, sorry
Know what's weird, Op? I also thought you had made this other GoW thread hating on the game. But I'm getting old :) anyway, glad you are enjoying it more now. It's a classic.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm not going to respond to the individual comments accusing me of trolling, since like I said yesterday evening, I am done with trying to prove my innocent over something as trivial as this, lol.

• The quality of the game shoots up ridiculously at this point. Dark Palace (I think?) is an incredible feat of level design, and the way it twists on itself and inventively uses your inventory to challenge you and gate progress is fantastic. The Metroidvania comparisons start to make sense here
  • The boss fight was great, and again, I love the usage of your items (it turns out I didn't need to use the Hammer, I could use my bombs, which I thought was neat. I was a bit afraid the game would stick too closely to one puzzle=one solution=one item)
  • The world design is also far more involved now, and again, I get the more involved Metroidvania vibe here with more parts opening up the more items I have
  • One minor disappointment I had going into the second dungeon was that the game wasn't using its two dimensions/overlaying maps for puzzles. As it turns out, the second dungeon does exactly that, so there goes that complaint lol
  • Swamp Palace is great (though I don't like it nearly as much as Dark Palace, other than it needing you to use the Dark World/Hyrule together for a bit)
  • The boss fight here is awful. There was literally no challenge to it. I guess designing a fight around a hookshot in a 2D top down view is difficult, but still, given how much I liked the last three boss fights, this was a bit of a bummer

I'm glad you're enjoying it a lot more now, as is not surprising.

One thing is for sure, the Dark World map is a lot more dense with things to do, puzzles to solve, and secrets to find. The Light World is much more open and the kind of place that feels like people actually live there. Going back as the game goes on, it definitely feels like a calm safe zone. Still, there are plenty of secrets left to find in the Light World, especially using the overlaying maps and new items that you have and will be getting before the end.

Not to mention that the dungeons get better as you go, as well.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread triggers the hell out of me. LttP is probably THE best Zelda game. Zelda 1 may beat it due to its purity of game play and adventure though

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not Zelda 2. Up down jump slash down. God that was so amazing then.

Fucking shadow link.

Not full combos but an old game that made you do varied sword play and it was a great addition. Feels like it was moving towards combos, if Zelda could have that.

I wasn't thinking of Zelda 2 when I said that since the game is so different, but the downward stab is the best move in any game, period.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
This was not what I was expecting when I entered the thread. This was great!

Glad to hear that you're enjoying it once you realized that you haven't even scratched the surface of it yet!

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Whether your OP was fake or real ((leaning real with you being a young person)) you legit gave me a laugh out loud moment and joy at your changing opinion, so thank you.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
I dont get all the replies here. If he hasnt really liked the game up until now than the last half to two thirds arent really going to change anything

When I read the OP it sounded like he didn't see the big deal, which doesn't mean he doesn't like it so far. So yeah, not knowing you're not at all close to the end and playing more may warrant a different opinion...