• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly sorry you feel that way, I do try my hardest with them.
Don't worry about it, at least you keep the forum moving. You're definitely not the first poster people have arbitrarily latched on to. I don't get why they find it so annoying, or why they find thread whining to be a better solution than muting the thread if they're actually that bothered.

I've enjoyed your threads, at least.

Last edited:

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're introduced to the dark world before dungeon 3, also Gannon doesn't make an appearance before then. Literally no one thought getting the master sword was the end game when they first played.
Hey, for me warping to the top of the pyramid and discovering I had just completed the prologue was mind-blowing and I still hold it as the greatest surprise any video game has given me ever. I pity OP, people couldn't keep their mouths shut and had to rob him of this amazing moment.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I had always planned on playing the older Zelda games, given how much I loved Breath of the Wild, and in anticipation of the Link's Awakening remake, I was advised by some very nice posters in the Link's Awakening OT to give A Link to the Past a try first to see if the old style of Zelda games - which I am only very vaguely aware of - is something I would like.

I had always imagined I would like the older games, given the comparisons to Okami and God of War, both games I enjoy, I have heard bandied about. I also knew about A Link to the Past's legendary reputation. It's supposed to be one of the best games ever made, with game design so perfect it holds up all the way today. Game developers cite it as an influence to this day, so surely I was in for a treat?

But... it's just okay?

To be fair I haven't actually completed it yet, but I'm almost done (I just picked up the Master Sword after completing the tower, and I'm on my way to Hyrule Castle), and I'm all around disappointed by it. The overworld has a vague sense of Metroidvania style progression to it, as do the dungeons, but it feels like the game was only just starting to find its footing and I'm already at the end. I've heard so much about the older games' dungeon design and progression, and while I understand a 16 bit game will be more limited than something like Ocarina of Time I imagine will be, I'm just... trying to figure out why there is so much rave acclaim for this game. Like... it's okay? The graphics feel fine, the controls are sharp, the music is really good, and I'm surprised at the emphasis on storytelling they put, but in terms of pure design, it just feels so vanilla. It basically feels like it ends before it even starts (my activity log says I am under 5 hours, and I would have been pretty mad if I had spent $60 on this game, to be honest).

Am I missing something?
I actually did the exact same thing when I was a kid first playing Link To The Past. Coming off of shorter NES games I thought I was about to beat the game and got really angry and frustrated when I realized I had so much left to do (weird reaction in retrospect; I now love how long Link To The Past is and how it has the most dungeons of any Zelda game).

But yeah the 3 pendants are basically the tutorial.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly was not trolling. I have to be honest, I haven't really kept up with Nintendo stuff. I know of their praised games, but nothing more.
To me, it felt like completing dungeons, getting the sword, and going to Hyrule Castle in the middle of the map was the series' trademark thing because that's how Breath of the Wild had done it. I legitimately had no idea this was a thing.
Did you not see the bottomless derth of fan criticism that a lot of what BotW did actively went against the main formula of the series lol? Specifically the dungeon part is mentioned everywhere.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
This thread went from "Oh boy, do I have to school someone on how wrong their opinion is?" when reading the title to "Oh boy, OP is in for a ride!".
Favorite thread of the month.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
To be fair to the OP if your only reference of a Zelda game is BOTW, you can excuse him for thinking picking up the MS and heading to Hyrule Castle is the end game

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I honestly was not trolling. I have to be honest, I haven't really kept up with Nintendo stuff. I know of their praised games, but nothing more.
To me, it felt like completing dungeons, getting the sword, and going to Hyrule Castle in the middle of the map was the series' trademark thing because that's how Breath of the Wild had done it. I legitimately had no idea this was a thing.

I wish i had this magic when playing the game for the first time, everytime - Thread backfire but a positive one" enjoy OP
Just wait until you try some of the other games!

Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Attacking the Community, Hostility, and Modwhining Over Multiple Posts in this Thread; Prior Infractions for Similar Behavior
This is ridiculous to read after your thread

I mean aside from taking the piss at what Resetera has become I might have created less than 5 "proper" threads over the last 2 years or however long I've been registered so you can fuck off, frankly.

But this place has become a complete parody of itself already. Between the 2 or 3 threads about Death Stranding that get created daily for every single tiny inconsequential detail that dribbles out of Kojima's mouth and the current trend of these ridiculous "Is Microsoft ruining gaming?" threads there is a definite argument that could be made about tightening up the quality control. It's telling that people in the Xbox Game Studios thread are constantly saying it's the only thread they feel comfortable posting or participating in because the rest of Resetera is a garbage fire of shit.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
The best part about this game is that it doesn't spoil the dark world part.
Unlike Zelda OOT where the game literally spoils you adult link and Kotake/Koume when the intro plays.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I remember the Xmas I got LTTP, I think I literally spent all day playing it. What an enchanting game. Atmosphere out the wazoo from the go.

If there was ever a SNES game worth £40 it's this.

Aug 10, 2019
People who play today will never be able to appreciate the surprise a 90s kid without the Internet felt on besting Agahnim...

Having started LA on Switch, I'd love LTTP to get this kind of face lift... it's gorgeous
I'm not knocking LA's remaster, I find the visuals charming and befitting of the game. But I feel that LTTP would necessitate a different art style to convey the dark tones of the story and grandioseness of the adventure.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I'm not knocking LA's remaster, I find the visuals charming and befitting of the game. But I feel that LTTP would necessitate a different art style to convey the dark tones of the story and grandioseness of the adventure.

Yeah, I'd like the 360 degree movement, and some of the physically based rendering they've done - but the characters would maybe need a less toy-like look. Some of the bosses though are literally how my imagination pictured them.. really awesome job

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Guys I just got the three spiritual stones in Ocarina of Time and I'm ready to enter the Temple of Time and banish the evil forever. Great game but felt too short, should have at least another 5 dungeons.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is gold. Love it. Now when you play Link's Awakening...

Prepare to be disappointed that the Dream World is only a minutes long sequence.

Nov 18, 2017
To be fair I haven't actually completed it yet, but I'm almost done (I just picked up the Master Sword after completing the tower, and I'm on my way to Hyrule Castle), and I'm all around disappointed by it.

Wonderful youvejust about finished the first third of the game, come back once youve done the other two thirds.

Sorry I can't reply individually, but how am I not even halfway done? I've cleared all the dungeons, and been all over the world. I have all the Pendants.

Now im pretty sure your trolling

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm genuinely surprised so many people think Link Between Worlds is a remake of Link to the Past rather than a sequel set in the same world. I mean, the painting mechanic that runs through every element of the game gives it away. Maybe it's that the title is reminiscent of LTTP?

LTTP is the better game but the 'become a 2D painting on the wall' effect, used in everything from exploration and puzzle solving and item collection to boss fights and evasion and moving between areas, is a masterclass in having a single core idea and theme running through the whole game.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
See, you think all of that makes sense, but to me, I completed dungeons, had my inventory screen tell me I had all my collectibles, got my master sword, and went to the castle in the middle of the dungeon. To me it made sense I was near the end.

Go play instead of posting here ;) The new mechanic introduced after Hyrule Castle is completely worth it, and at the time was a huge shock, similar to the time-travelling in OoT, but in a sense more fully implemented than OoT.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
I get what you're saying OP, I feel the same way with BOTW.

Everybody says it's a masterclass in world building and game design, but I'm almost done with the game, I've reached the church and ready to leave the plateau.

Is that all there is?

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
This thread reminds me of that guy that kept bringing back MGS3 to the store because he thought the ladder was a bug.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
I get what you're saying OP, I feel the same way with BOTW.

Everybody says it's a masterclass in world building and game design, but I'm almost done with the game, I've reached the church and ready to leave the plateau.

Is that all there is?
Pretty much, now go pick up a stick, walk up to Hyrule Castle and beat Ganon with it

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The original release of the game even came with layout guides for the light world dungeons so if one assumed that was it, they'd be thinking the game literally spoiled the complete contents of the game.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Probably the most overrated game I have ever played. It's such a chore. I reckon most of its praise comes from nostalgia or maybe I just don't get it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Think Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask levels of difference.

If OoT used sprites and Majora's Mask used 3D models. :)

Probably the most overrated game I have ever played. It's such a chore. I reckon most of its praise comes from nostalgia or maybe I just don't get it.

I booted it up to see the intro on the Switch online service and ended up playing until the sanctuary, so nope, it's still amazing. Sorry.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Same thing happened to me when I first played Ocarina of Time.

I had rented from Blockbuster, thought it was over after three dungeons, and then...

Aug 28, 2019
I booted it up to see the intro on the Switch online service and ended up playing until the sanctuary, so nope, it's still amazing. Sorry.

That entire opening segment, heading out into the driving rain, fighting through the castle dungeons, and finally escaping through the sewers with Zelda, was an unbelievable experience for me as a kid back in 1992. It still ranks as one of my favorite game openings of all time. It serves as a tutorial, but it also throws you right into the game's story, with tense atmosphere and no nonsense or wasted time. It's just perfect.

Now I'm tempted to start a new game. Even though I should probably finish my other Zelda games.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has made my doctors visit enjoyable! I am honestly not sure if he's trolling or not but god damn this is hilarious.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It's such a chore. I reckon most of its praise comes from nostalgia or maybe I just don't get it.
Imagine every thread about an old game filled with comments like this. Let's not do this please.

At least explain why it's a chore or why do you think it didn't stand the test of time (which I think it does perfectly).

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's really rather a shame how many people have gone after the OP for this thread and for posting threads in general. This is a message board, you all realize that right?
When Phantom Thief isn't self-banning himself for whatever reason he makes dozens of threads a week and no one bats an eye at those. Why are you all being dicks about OP?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Eh, we're being a bit harsh on OP. If you're going into the game blind you wouldn't know about the Dark World. I read all the coverage of the game before it came out, and many people here did too, so we all knew about it going in.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're right. The large swaths of people who love this game are wrong. The developers who state LttP as an influence in game design are wrong. The fact that pretty much every Zelda up until BotW followed a similar formula doesn't matter.

it's all nostalgia. All of it. You are the sole arbiter of quality. It's everybody else that is drinking the kool-aid.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
That entire opening segment, heading out into the driving rain, fighting through the castle dungeons, and finally escaping through the sewers with Zelda, was an unbelievable experience for me as a kid back in 1992. It still ranks as one of my favorite game openings of all time. It serves as a tutorial, but it also throws you right into the game's story, with tense atmosphere and no nonsense or wasted time. It's just perfect.

Now I'm tempted to start a new game. Even though I should probably finish my other Zelda games.
The SNES era had some truly memorable intro sequences. Link to the Past and Final Fantasy VI are to this day my all-time greats for openings.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's really rather a shame how many people have gone after the OP for this thread and for posting threads in general. This is a message board, you all realize that right?
When Phantom Thief isn't self-banning himself for whatever reason he makes dozens of threads a week and no one bats an eye at those. Why are you all being dicks about OP?
People did complain about PT, and it was still dumb

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dont get all the replies here. If he hasnt really liked the game up until now than the last half to two thirds arent really going to change anything

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont get all the replies here. If he hasnt really liked the game up until now than the last half to two thirds arent really going to change anything

Yeah, I said as much earlier in the thread. The dungeons get better, but if you haven't enjoyed the game up to that point, then I don't think that's going to change your mind.