• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
This thread has been fantastic, not as great as when origami guy pretended his "date" was using his account, but close.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Hey everyone, I'm playing through Dark Souls and I don't get what the big deal is. To be fair I haven't actually completed it yet, but I'm almost done (I just rang the second bell and I'm on my way back to the guy at Firelink Shrine), and I'm all around disappointed by it. The overworld has a vague sense of Metroidvania style progression to it, but it feels like the game was only just starting to find its footing and I'm already at the end.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
OP is completely full of it. He just likes to make threads and get responses. Thinks he can be the next LantWar. OP, I don't believe you one iota.

To be fair with OP, i felt the exactly same thing at that point of the game. It's kinda made on purpose i guess.

So LTTP is a completely different experience compared to Between worlds? Guess I really owe it to myself to play

Think Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask levels of difference.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't understand the praise either. It's really fun but by no means does it rank among the greats.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ZEnLcIB.png
Whether OP is sincere or not doesn't matter

This post makes it a worthy thread

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
All the people in this thread so mad about someone being reactionary and missing the joy of it all. I feel like I just watched my little cousin play LTTP for the first time... again.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if these threads are actually real or just an attempt to get attention. I honestly can't tell; the op is structured in a pretty obvious way with him saying all the "right" things to get the reactions he's looking for. Maybe I'm just jaded, but I don't buy this at all.

Nov 1, 2017
There's no way he thought that was the end of the game. The item list is half empty, you don't even have a full heart line, and you even see the dark world when going to the 3rd dungeon.

The OP is trolling.

Either that or they are very much just doing this for the attention. This person has a pretty distinctive username and avatar so it's pretty noticeable that they are constantly creating new threads of frankly dubious quality with some questionable opinions (the nonsense God of War thread sprung to mind where pretty much everyone disagreed with them). I rarely make new threads and if do I ask myself "Is this something new, relevant or interesting that has the potential to foster some decent discussion" and if the answer is no i don't post anything. Except for that one joke thread that was quickly locked that was mocking Resetera in general after some mod pissed me off for giving me shit because i had the audacity to point out how reductive this place has gotten that i was honestly expecting to be banned for.

Also let's be honest. ALttP is an iconic game in one of the most recognisable franchises in gaming with a reputation that very much precedes itself, not to mention being the main blueprint for dozens of latter games in the series, plus it is also an old game. I find it extremely hard to believe that even if the OP hadn't played it before that he wouldn't be aware of the general gist or structure of that game, especially considering how it has inspired countless games that came after it.

I haven't even made that many threads...

Hahahahahaha what?! OK now i know for sure you are trolling. Jesus christ.

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I came late to this great thread. Keep us updated OP and enjoy the game.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is great and it really speaks to how you shouldnt jump to conclusions and rush to the internet for a hot take. Good stuff.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I didn't understand the praise either. It's really fun but by no means does it rank among the greats.
I mean, it literally does in any number of 'best game of all time' lists, that's why it's so influential. It's the template for Ocarina of Time (and pretty much codified a large part of what the series would be about) in so many ways, there's a reason both that and LA repeatedly sit near the top of their respective systems most-talked-about games, the structure is just timeless.

I like both LA and LTTP for different reasons. The way that LTTP has dozens of different orders you can approach it's dungeons in, which is a callback to the original and leads to your limited freedom in OOT dungeon order. On the other hand LA is much tighter in terms of a strict order and difficulty curve. Two of my all-time favourites.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

Saying no, or something along the lines of "you're in for a treat" or any type of tease would've been fine. I'm referring to the guys going into details.
Seriously the Wii U has the most Zeldas though

Ocarina and Majora can be played in their original form on Virtual Console
Wind Waker and Twilight Princess recurved HD remasters
Skyward Sword is backwards compatible

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I had such a big smile reading the OP...

This game has probably been my favorite since its release. I remember how long I had waited for it (maybe 3 years between first screenshots and French release) and how fascinated I was. The Rain in the opening sequence... The first glimpse of the dark world pyramid...

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I personally know someone who had this same experience. She legitimately thought she was about to beat the game before the Dark World.

I grew up with the GBA version after playing OOT and even I was surprised by it the first time around since I expected the missing items to be hidden secrets or Four Sword Bonuses. I thought the warp was just a shortcut and not an entirely separate world. So it really isn't an uncommon thing to think. I will say it's a bit sad that BOTW made people forget how clever Zelda dungeons used to be though, and I'm happy he's finding out how fun the older games are.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game with an influence that remains clear to this day. But it's not timeless like OoT.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
imagine op playing games when he was a kid lol

this reminds me of when I played Paper Mario TTYD as a kid and saw Hooktail on the back of the box and thought he was the final boss so when I went to go fight him at the end of chapter 1 I thought I beat the game.

I had a moment like that!

My grade school friends and I made our way through final fantasy VII every day after school for like half a year (we were young and slow lol). Early on, when we got to the Guard Scorpion fight, we all agreed that this must be the end of disc one. Hahahaha

I also saw the cutscene screenshots on the back of the box and for some reason believed the graphics got better each disc. 😅

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's a great game with an influence that remains clear to this day. But it's not timeless like OoT.
For me the main thing that dated with OOT was the N64 visuals that weren't as timeless as SNES pixel art, but the 3DS version got it up-to-date with a few extra polishes here and there. The game design is amazing though.

I'll always slightly prefer LTTP but with LA deciding between the three of them is tough, I like them all for different things. OOT's story, theme, and minor characters have far more going on but the focused immediacy and shorter running time of the 2D titles means I've gone back to them far more over the last 20 years.

It reminds me of a lot of series that made the jump into bigger games over the years, from Ys to Castlevania etc. The early ones are tight and action-focused but the later ones have more scope and depth.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I still think about buying this game again on 3DS VC even though it'd be like the fourth time I've bought it.