• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's worth repeating: BotW is the best selling game in the series and nowhere near done selling yet. There are going to be A LOT of people out there who only have that game as a frame of reference.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ZEnLcIB.png
You win

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's worth repeating: BotW is the best selling game in the series and no where done selling yet. There are going to be A LOT of people out there who only have that game as a frame of reference.

Agreed, the people saying this thread was trolling were meanspirited. Not everyone has played every best selling series.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly was not trolling. I have to be honest, I haven't really kept up with Nintendo stuff. I know of their praised games, but nothing more.
To me, it felt like completing dungeons, getting the sword, and going to Hyrule Castle in the middle of the map was the series' trademark thing because that's how Breath of the Wild had done it. I legitimately had no idea this was a thing.
Man I hope you'll get to playing Metroid Prime 1 and 2 some day.

Oct 25, 2017
México
I had always planned on playing the older Zelda games, given how much I loved Breath of the Wild, and in anticipation of the Link's Awakening remake, I was advised by some very nice posters in the Link's Awakening OT to give A Link to the Past a try first to see if the old style of Zelda games - which I am only very vaguely aware of - is something I would like.

I had always imagined I would like the older games, given the comparisons to Okami and God of War, both games I enjoy, I have heard bandied about. I also knew about A Link to the Past's legendary reputation. It's supposed to be one of the best games ever made, with game design so perfect it holds up all the way today. Game developers cite it as an influence to this day, so surely I was in for a treat?

But... it's just okay?

To be fair I haven't actually completed it yet, but I'm almost done (I just picked up the Master Sword after completing the tower, and I'm on my way to Hyrule Castle), and I'm all around disappointed by it. The overworld has a vague sense of Metroidvania style progression to it, as do the dungeons, but it feels like the game was only just starting to find its footing and I'm already at the end. I've heard so much about the older games' dungeon design and progression, and while I understand a 16 bit game will be more limited than something like Ocarina of Time I imagine will be, I'm just... trying to figure out why there is so much rave acclaim for this game. Like... it's okay? The graphics feel fine, the controls are sharp, the music is really good, and I'm surprised at the emphasis on storytelling they put, but in terms of pure design, it just feels so vanilla. It basically feels like it ends before it even starts (my activity log says I am under 5 hours, and I would have been pretty mad if I had spent $60 on this game, to be honest).

Am I missing something?
😂😂😂

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly was not trolling. I have to be honest, I haven't really kept up with Nintendo stuff. I know of their praised games, but nothing more.
To me, it felt like completing dungeons, getting the sword, and going to Hyrule Castle in the middle of the map was the series' trademark thing because that's how Breath of the Wild had done it. I legitimately had no idea this was a thing.

The master sword is not really a lategame item, instead its the one sword you use most of your adventure and thats something that happens in most Zelda games, yet another piece in the "Zelda Formula" that BOTW managed to break

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I love the fact that you as an adult thought you were heading to the endgame after grabbing the Master Sword, just like I did as a kid. It's so well done.

But yeah, as others have said, you basically are about to finish the first chapter of the book.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, the people saying this thread was trolling were meanspirited. Not everyone has played every best selling series.

To be fair the Zelda formula is so well known amongst gamers that I can't blame people for being wary about the idea of someone having a gaming background and being genuinely clueless about it. It's pretty cool to see someone have a genuine reaction to the "twist" nowadays though.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What if I were to tell you the Master Sword is upgradable....

...twice!

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
all of those empty spots in your inventory wasnt a dead giveaway?

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you make this thread before seeing the game through? You just ruined part of the experience.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's very good but it's pretty short once you know what you're doing. You can 100% it in like an hour I think, without abusing any glitches. But, great gameplay, good music, great pacing, all kinds of secrets. It earns its reputation

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You didn't even get to the defining part of the game yet.

Yeesh. Keep playing, the second half is the real game.

Aug 28, 2019
...I honestly can't remember my reaction when I first reached this point. It was probably spoiled for me beforehand. 28 years, wow.

I do remember I didn't have the Moon Pearl. That wasn't ideal.

The Light World dungeons aren't bad, but they're just the introductory levels before the Dark World.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
I played A Link to the Past for the first time probably around 5 years ago (so I was 14 years old), and it has become one of my favorite games ever. No cap might still be my favorite LoZ game, even with BOTW and OoT in mind.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's one of my top Zeldas but I admit the parts before the Dark World are not super engaging, especially before you get the Pegasus Boots. With those on and the Power Glove the world is much more fun to traverse.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Did not read the entire thread but did the OP ever come back and comment? It is hilarious that he/she thought they were at the end of the game.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
This is obviously a joke. No one doesn't check the map when near the third pendant. Or the fact that 90 percent of the inventory is empty when you get the Master sword.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
Let's go back and shit on groundbreaking games at the time with all the modern games under my belt.

Game was a masterpiece think of what they did with what they had.