• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want to believe. Based on an earlier thread, I'm pretty sure OP has only played BotW and isn't familiar with the classic Zelda formula. Which to be fair, that's probably more common these days. BotW brought a lot of new fans into the series
That makes a lot of sense actually. Only three dungeons before the end wouldn't seem odd if someone's only experience with the series was BotW or MM.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
It's a famed cornerstone of the Zelda formula. It has immense legacy, but other titles improved on things in many ways.

For people who didn't play it in the 90s I can't expect to always see it as their favorite when there are so many other good titles too.

But if you had to pick between just 1 2 and 3, then ALttP is the clear uncontested winner IMO.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
That makes a lot of sense actually. Only three dungeons before the end wouldn't seem odd if someone's only experience with the series was BotW or MM.

Not only that, three dungeons and then getting the master sword and heading to the castle in the middle of the map, that sounds kinda like endgame botw.
It just so happens that in alttp you get the master sword really early in the game

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I don't know if I should still be here when the serious discussion about "LttP was never actually good" starts

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Between Hollow Knight and this, are you just in a constant state of confusion about why good games are good?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
andherewego.gif

If nothing else OP got me to start another replay of LTTP.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is hilarious. 'I'm playing super Mario bros. I'm almost done because I just finished 1-3 and got to Bowsers castle.'

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
you go to the dark world in order to get to the 3rd dungeon? you can see a whole second map there. It's really not that surprising.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I can't reply individually, but how am I not even halfway done? I've cleared all the dungeons, and been all over the world. I have all the Pendants.
In the spirit of OP, I'm not gonna finish this thread and just call you a troll.

I just started a new run thru and it does seem smaller than my memory has it but the dungeons really kick up in the dark world. I think I have the thieves hideout next. Now, none of the dungeons are perplexing. Maybe the lost woods wasn't as straightforward but it's still an amazing game from 1991 or as I like to call it, 5 years since the very first game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I honestly was not trolling. I have to be honest, I haven't really kept up with Nintendo stuff. I know of their praised games, but nothing more.
To me, it felt like completing dungeons, getting the sword, and going to Hyrule Castle in the middle of the map was the series' trademark thing because that's how Breath of the Wild had done it. I legitimately had no idea this was a thing.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People laugh but TBH having played the original on NES and then playing ALttP some years later (and having not heard anything about it beforehand) what happens after really came as a shock to me. Like, I couldn't believe it.

Same with Metroid and Super Metroid. Super Metroid is amazing stand alone, but going into it after having beat the original Metroid just adds a whole extra layer to the world.

Pafounapa

Oct 25, 2017
You're like 30sec in the dark world before the 3rd dungeon, so its possible he just didn't open the map.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So.... You went through Death Mountain, including the Bunny stuff and didn't notice it? Lol

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I honestly was not trolling. I have to be honest, I haven't really kept up with Nintendo stuff. I know of their praised games, but nothing more.
To me, it felt like completing dungeons, getting the sword, and going to Hyrule Castle in the middle of the map was the series' trademark thing because that's how Breath of the Wild had done it. I legitimately had no idea this was a thing.

It made for a great thread, so no worries.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
you go to the dark world in order to get to the 3rd dungeon? you can see a whole second map there. It's really not that surprising.
This. I thought I was remembering it wrong. I'm really skeptical about OP's reactions now

While this is true not everyone checks the map constantly, it could simply feel like a warp to another area for a moment so the actual implications of the warp might be lost on many players until later on.