• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
The Philistines and their land are mentioned in the bible quite a lot, though their land is called pleshet (I am not 100% sure how it is translated to English exactly).
So only kinda.

I don't think any of it has any bearing on the current political situation by the way.

it doesn't but the question is clear and in the past which has nothing to do with the current events of today.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
tenor.gif

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously come from those words, but in the context of Jeopardy I don't think they would have accepted Palestine if they were looking for Syria Palaestina or Palaestina Secunda. Though it was the name of the British colony there, so I guess there's that.

Anyway, I think we can all agree it's a shitty question.
I feel it's pointless to talk about the historically correct answer, when something like "Israel" is accepted as the correct one, but "Palestine" is not. That's such a blatant political statement on its own.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it is in Palestine?
Whats a Palestine? Thats the endgame.

Amazes me how people (rightfully) point out Israel doesn't exist in the consciousness of some, its abhorrent, yet redefine Palenstine existence because its inconvenient for them. Disgusting.

i think its messed up she answered the question in way to try to attack Jewish people saying that is not their home to follow the rhetoric of Palestine trying to erase Jews claim to the area saying it belongs Palestine classic antisemitism

Are you being serious? Its in West Bank, its designated under Palestine. How on earth can a region belonging Palestine be antisemetic?

Last edited:

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The US doesn't recognise Palestine so the 'official' answer in the the US, would be Israel. Obviously whether Palestine should be considered a state or not is a highly contentious subject and it seems obvious that it is to all intents and purposes and that it should be. But as far as the US and most of western Europe is concerned, officially, it is not.

Fucking daft question to ask on a gameshow.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i think its messed up she answered the question in way to try to attack Jewish people saying that is not their home to follow the rhetoric of Palestine trying to erase Jews claim to the area saying it belongs Palestine classic antisemitism
So you believe the West Bank is part of Israel?

Then please tell me why the people there are not considered Israeli citizens.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the person/people in charge of questions included it to make a pro-occupation statement or if they didn't even suspect the answer to be controversial because they take the occupation at face value. 🤔

I don't really know how the questions are determined and I'm sure we'll never know. I would guess it was probably the latter, though.

You're putting way too much thought into this

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The US doesn't recognise Palestine so the 'official' answer in the the US, would be Israel. Obviously whether Palestine should be considered a state or not is a highly contentious subject and it seems obvious that it is to all intents and purposes and that it should be. But as far as the US and most of western Europe is concerned, officially, it is not.

Fucking daft question to ask on a gameshow.

So Palestine, in the areas you mentioned doesn't exist? Even though its officially recognised as a State by the UN with its own embassies and flag around the world? This is amazing, how can we go after those that deny Israel existence, and with the same breath say Palestine doesn't exist. I assumed it wasnt contentious to acknowledge Palestine, searching around the net and it seems to be the case. The hypocrisy is stunning. Those poor people in Palestine.

Last edited:

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Palestine, in the areas you mentioned doesnt have a right to exist? Even though its officially recognised as a State by the UN with its own embassies and flag?

They don't recognise it as an independent state. I'm not sure if that is the same as not having a right to exist. Probably is more or less.

Nov 27, 2017
The Jeopardy producers' response:

In the process of taping this clue, "BUILT IN THE 300s A.D., THE CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY" we became aware that the clue was flawed as written and that determining an acceptable response would be problematic. In accordance with our rules and in the interest of fairness, we voided the clue and threw it out. We restored Katie's and Jack's scores to what they were prior to the clue. The outcome of the game was not affected. We then continued the game with this replacement clue.

Unfortunately, through human error in post-production, the uncorrected version of the game was broadcast. We regret the error and we will make every effort to ensure this never happens again.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Everytime there's an error or a correction, they always make a note of it right after the commercial break. They didn't here.
Exactly. Any time there is an issue with a question that requires adjustments to player's totals, they always give a reason after the commercial break. Here she just magically got the $200 back, without any reason given. That isn't a coincidence.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Everytime there's an error or a correction, they always make a note of it right after the commercial break. They didn't here.
Did you read the link? That question wasn't supposed to be shown on air but the editor didn't put it the replacement question. That is why there is no correction after the break.

They obviously realized the original question hd two correct answers which explains why they filmed a replacement one. The editor just didn't do his job.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Any time there is an issue with a question that requires adjustments to player's totals, they always give a reason after the commercial break. Here she just magically got the $200 back, without any reason given. That isn't a coincidence.
They address this in their response. They said that question was supposed to be left on the cutting room floor. They wouldn't correct a question that they didn't plan on being in the final cut.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure they rushed everyone back to the studio to fabricate the clip of the replacement question.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Did the show itself make a point of it publically (usually when somebody gives an almost answer and they judge it wrong, if they change their mind during the break Alex will publically say so afterwards before starting the next round), or is it clear the question was meant to tow the line?

In this case, the question was supposed to be replaced with a new one:

One audience member at the taping of Friday's episode seems to have an answer: The Church of the Nativity question was never supposed to air at all.

When the episode went to break inside the studio, the show's producers began huddling around each other offstage, an audience member told The Washington Post. Most breaks during that day's taping had been only about eight minutes, and this one had reached twice that length.

"It was obvious that something was wrong," said the audience member, who asked to remain anonymous because of the sensitivity of the situation.

Once the show started filming again, she recounted, it was as if Trebek and the producers had turned back the clock: Scores for Needle and McGuire had both reverted to what they had been immediately before the host read out the Church of the Nativity clue. Then, Trebek and the three contestants taped an entirely new $200 question on the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Mysteriously, it seems as though that prompt never made it to air.

from https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/01/13/jeopardy-bethlehem-church/

So McGuire buzzed in and got the new $200 question right, which is why he had those points when they came back from break.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
Smells like a load of bullshit. The scores were the same coming back from break.

If you watch the clip in the article, the same guy who answered "Israel" got the replacement question right. Someone already noted that the woman who answered "Palestine" had her money refunded, so the scores line up with the story they're telling, I think.

Also, the fact that they have a replacement clip ready here does lend credence to their claim, IMO.

Edit: also the above article from the Post seems to be in line with this as well.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
If you watch the clip in the article, the same guy who answered "Israel" got the replacement question right. Someone already noted that the woman who answered "Palestine" had her money refunded, so the scores line up with the story they're telling, I think.

Also, the fact that they have a replacement clip ready here does lend credence to their claim, IMO.

Edit: also the above article from the Post seems to be in line with this as well.

That's fair.

Honestly I feel bad for Alex Trebek here. The guy is literally fighting for his life and he is undoubtedly going to get a lot of the heat here, despite him having nothing to do with it.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Props to her. This intellectual occupation and brainwash needs to end.

Building settlements does not mean you own the lands.