• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From Aljazeera

Popular American game show Jeopardy has been plunged into controversy after a contestant was told she had the wrong answer after identifying Jesus's place of birth, the Church of Nativity in Bethlehem, as being in Palestine.

The incident took place in round one of the game broadcast on Friday, when Katie Needle was given the clue: "Built in the 300s A.D., the Church of the Nativity", under the category "Where's that Church?".

Needle, a retail supervisor, from Brooklyn, responded that it was in Palestine, but was told her answer was wrong.

One of the other two contestants, Jack McGuire, then buzzed in with the reply "Israel", which host Alex Trebek accepted as correct.

"This [jeopardy incident] just shows how normalised the occupation and cleansing of the Palestinian people from the historical record has become," Imraan Siddiqi, executive director of Council of American Islamic Relations Arizona chapter, told Al Jazeera.

James Zogby of Zogby Analytics, who is also a US public opinion pollster, said the incident was "an insult to history, reality, the thousands of oppressed Palestinians of Bethlehem".

Zogby recently wrote: "Suffering under Israeli military occupation since 1967, Bethlehem has slowly been strangled. It has lost most of its land to settlement construction. It is hemmed in by a 30-foot-high concrete wall, stripped of its resources, and denied access to external markets."

The United Nations says Israeli settlements in Bethlehem and other parts of occupied West Bank are illegal, and has called them a "flagrant violation" of international law.

However, fans of the show noted that following an ad break Ms Needle, who ultimately won the episode, appeared to have been reimbursed the $200 she had lost out on through her answer – although no explanation was given for the decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 27, 2017
actually saw this live the other night. katie knew that israel was going to be the accepted answer so she hesitated for a moment and decided to forfeit that question for the greater good, and props for that. she still won the night handily

jml

Mar 9, 2018
It's pretty baffling to me that Jeopardy decided to include this question at all when they could have easily just used something uncontroversial instead.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
From Independent article
However, fans of the show noted that following an ad break Ms Needle, who ultimately won the episode, appeared to have been reimbursed the $200 she had lost out on through her answer – although no explanation was given for the decision.

Glad to see that Katie wasn't completely punished for staying her ground, though this is yet another evidence that Jeopardy producers just didn't want Palestine as "public" answer.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's pretty baffling to me that Jeopardy decided to include this question at all when they could have easily just used something uncontroversial instead.

I wonder if the person/people in charge of questions included it to make a pro-occupation statement or if they didn't even suspect the answer to be controversial because they take the occupation at face value. 🤔

I don't really know how the questions are determined and I'm sure we'll never know. I would guess it was probably the latter, though.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Um yes? Do people just assume hostility on this forum?

I was saying in case anyone thought it was a "mistake". Her facial expression should allay fears.
I watched the video; I'm not 100% sold on the idea of her knowing the answer was going to be controversial. I think it's possible she just wasn't sure she was giving the right answer.

But if she knew that was the right answer while knowing it was going to be rejected by the game, good on her.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Considering Bethlehem was in the Roman province of Palestine, seems like Jeopardy created a far bigger headache for themselves than they needed to.

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the video; I'm not 100% sold on the idea of her knowing the answer was going to be controversial. I think it's possible she just wasn't sure she was giving the right answer.

But if she knew that was the right answer while knowing it was going to be rejected by the game, good on her.

Honestly her smile and look afterwards makes me feel it was. She also might have debated between the right and answer and the accepted right answer.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Bethlehem is in the West Bank. Did Israel annex the West Bank and only informed the people running Jeopardy (and that one contestant)?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not 100% sold because in the 5 seconds she had to read/hear the question and respond with an answer I don't think there was necessarily time to also think "I'm going to protest the answer they want to hear with the answer they don't want to hear". I'd think it was more like "I have a 50/50 shot here at the right answer so here's a guess"

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Why the fuck would jeopardy even have this question knowing the conflict on the identity of the land? Seems like someone had an agenda.

Oct 25, 2017
From Independent article

Glad to see that Katie wasn't completely punished for staying her ground, though this is yet another evidence that Jeopardy producers just didn't want Palestine as "public" answer.
Did the show itself make a point of it publically (usually when somebody gives an almost answer and they judge it wrong, if they change their mind during the break Alex will publically say so afterwards before starting the next round), or is it clear the question was meant to tow the line?

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
Including the question is alright. Making the answer israel is wrong.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'd like to hear Trebek's thoughts on it. I know he's just the host, but I'm still curious.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Someone tell me if I'm wrong here but it litteraly is called palestein in the Bible is it not?

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
How the hell can it be Israel? Why the duck are we so eager to suck up to Israel every chance we get?

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
It's in the West Bank which is considered to be a Palestinian territory. Maybe the person who set up the answer should have stuck with Jerusalem.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Someone tell me if I'm wrong here but it litteraly is called palestein in the Bible is it not?
The Philistines and their land are mentioned in the bible quite a lot, though their land is called pleshet (I am not 100% sure how it is translated to English exactly).
So only kinda.

I don't think any of it has any bearing on the current political situation by the way.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm not 100% sold because in the 5 seconds she had to read/hear the question and respond with an answer I don't think there was necessarily time to also think "I'm going to protest the answer they want to hear with the answer they don't want to hear". I'd think it was more like "I have a 50/50 shot here at the right answer so here's a guess"
This is where I land too. Being in the moment of trying to win the game you don't really have time to decide within 5 seconds if an answer is going to be used as an opportunity for protest. He face looked more like she wasn't quite sure which answer was the correct one.

Anyways...shitty on them to give her her money back during the commercial without saying anything.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this live and I wondered if she did that on purpose.

The problem with appealing to history to decide who owns it is that conquest was how Muslims, Romans, and Jews etc. came to claim it in the past and so it's not really helpful if you don't want to apply that now.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly Jeopardy's audience being largely older people who have been taught through church to take offense at the idea of Palestine being a thing at all.
I think its primary audience is also educated people so I'm not so sure. Not like Trumpers watching.

edit: I should say not like MAGAs watching. Trumpers can definitely be educated and wealthy.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The Roman province Bethlehem was in was called Judea and later Syria Palaestina.
Roll eyes

Palaestina is Palestine, and the empire that we call Byzantine but they knew only as Rome called the province Palestine In various forms. It's unlikely a knowledgeable Roman of the time would be confused by the term. Under this logic Judea would be an acceptable answer as well, or even Israel as a reference to the original Kingdom of Israel.

The point is, it would have been a smarter move on Jeopardy's part to just take the answer as one of a list of acceptable answers If they wanted to avoid the current day political question entirely.

But obviously if they only wanted to accept the current day political designation, Palestine would be the only correct answer.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Roll eyes

Palaestina is Palestine, and the empire that we call Byzantine but they knew only as Rome called the province Palestine In various forms. It's unlikely a knowledgeable Roman of the time would be confused by the term. Under this logic Judea would be an acceptable answer as well, or even Israel as a reference to the original Kingdom of Israel.

The point is, it would have been a smarter move on Jeopardy's part to just take the answer as one of a list of acceptable answers If they wanted to avoid the current day political question entirely.

But obviously if they only wanted to accept the current day political designation, Palestine would be the only correct answer.
It's obviously come from those words, but in the context of Jeopardy I don't think they would have accepted Palestine if they were looking for Syria Palaestina or Palaestina Secunda. Though it was the name of the British colony there, so I guess there's that.

Anyway, I think we can all agree it's a shitty question.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the really baffling thing here is why did they include the question? The person who wrote the question and answer must have known that it was controversial at the very least, and it's not like Jeopardy! is typically in the business of trying to make political statements.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's obviously come from those words, but in the context of Jeopardy I don't think they would have accepted Palestine if they were looking for Syria Palaestina or Palaestina Secunda. Though it was the name of the British colony there, so I guess there's that.

Anyway, I think we can all agree it's a shitty question.
That's certainly true.