• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Hacking your wiiu is the easiest thing these days. Just need to visit a website with some files on the sd card and it's done. It's only temporary but it's not terrible inconvenient and there is a permanent solution too

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had Nintendont on my Wii U for a while now. I still don't use it much but it is nice to have access to Nintendo's entire catalog without me having to dig out my GameCube or SNES + games. My desk has a Wii U, Switch, 3DS, and my PC. Having all of Nintendo's releases and a PC is really all anyone needs

OP
OP
GingerbreadMan
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but is it stretching the image to 16:9 from 4:3 (this is how the PS2 emulator on the PS3 does it, it seems, and it sucks) or is it able to display games at a native 16:9?
Some HUD elements might be stretched, depending on the game, but so they were in Metroid Prime Trilogy for MP1 and MP2. The game itself is not stretched.

PolskiGamer17

Oct 27, 2017
This is the only close thing to having a portable version of Skies of Arcadia.
Damn, now I can get rid of the original modded wii, since Wii u with the injections makes it obsolete

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Took me about all day today, but finally got fbalpha with a bunch of arcade games, PSX, and Gamecube games running injected on my Wii U. Thanks OP for letting me know about how relatively easy it is to do all this!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendon't is nice but there so much aliasing (as expected), recently installed the forwarder on the Wii U menu and it's so much better to play it with the Gamepad.
Don't have a lot of game but I like going back to PSO Episode 3 since I'm onto card RPG games.

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendon't is nice but there so much aliasing (as expected), recently installed the forwarder on the Wii U menu and it's so much better to play it with the Gamepad.
Don't have a lot of game but I like going back to PSO Episode 3 since I'm onto card RPG games.

I know people complained about the 480p screen, but it always seemed like it was designed with retro gaming in mind. It lets you play Wii games in their native resolution without needing a tv at all.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shame Banjo kazooie is the only rare title that works properly, is there ever going to be some sort of development on getting the others to work?

OP
OP
GingerbreadMan
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes, the GC games look very nice on the GamePad. The only problem is the lack of analog triggers, playing Mario Sunshine on it is a bit unconfortable (you have to hold L while pressing ZR to spay water while moving) and F-Zero downright impossible.
I know people complained about the 480p screen, but it always seemed like it was designed with retro gaming in mind. It lets you play Wii games in their native resolution without needing a tv at all.
It even has a built-in sensor bar. But pointing at that screen, eh...
Shame Banjo kazooie is the only rare title that works properly, is there ever going to be some sort of development on getting the others to work?
Unlikely, the emu was developed by Nintendo, the scene just managed to use it for other roms. An alternative might be Wii64 on Wii U hardware (you have to download the emulator then inject it using the tool linked in the OP), but the emulation is less accurate overall (still, far better compatibility).

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It even has a built-in sensor bar. But pointing at that screen, eh...

It totally works. Just put it on a stand and treat it like a tv. My main issue is that my sensor bar is usually below the tv so I'd have to change the settings if I wanted to use the Gamepad. But really I'd set it up by my computer monitor and use it to play VC games. They look great on there.

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this thread. I've been on a real retro kick as late, going so far as to reclaim a lot of my old GameCube discs from storage and hook the Wii back up, and had absolutely no idea there was such an easy and reliable way to enable widescreen on those old gems. Couple that with the ability to more easily boot some old imports (Mr Drill Drill Land, represent) and this has made life a whole lot better.

Last edited:

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been contemplating selling my Wii U with all the ports Switch is getting, but I think this thread is convincing me to keep it. Can it play DS and 3DS roms?

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
My only problem sometimes is forgetting to boot into Mocha custom firmware before I boot certain stuff like injected GC games; otherwise the console gives me an error message and tells me I have to restart the console.

Anyone know a better solution so I can just turn on my Wii U and boot those games without having to go into Haxchi and then Mocha every time?

The only other thing was a couldn't figure out a way to rotate the screen for tate action in fbalpha 2012 for playing shmups on the console.

Last edited:

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
My only problem sometimes is forgetting to boot into Mocha custom firmware before I boot certain stuff like injected GC games; otherwise the console gives me an error message and tells me I have to restart the console.

Anyone know a better solution so I can just turn on my Wii U and boot those games without having to go into Haxchi and then Mocha every time?

You need to install Cold Boot Haxchi.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My snes mini is amazing. GBA, Genesis, SNES, all working flawlessly. Considering adding storage to put the N64 games that work decently on it on there.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I put retroarch on it and clicked some things and now it's a chore to find things on the home brew channel without going through like 20 pages. Anyway to clean it up or do I have to delete everything?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
The OG xbox used to be my go-to retro console with all those xport emulators (and the ones that followed after like that one snes emulator that came out). Nowadays I just stick to my Shield Portable. I can't really think of examples, but would the Wii U run retroarch cores better than my Shield?

underZ

Feb 2, 2018
I put retroarch on it and clicked some things and now it's a chore to find things on the home brew channel without going through like 20 pages. Anyway to clean it up or do I have to delete everything?

You can rename the app folders (and thus the order they appear in) in wiiu > apps to adjust the app order in HBL.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel a bit slow, im trying to use the GameCube controller as the main controller for nintendont but from what I can tell the gamepad acts as player one and I can't have the gc remote override that. Is it a simple checkbox to use it as the main remote?

OP
OP
GingerbreadMan
Oct 27, 2017
I feel a bit slow, im trying to use the GameCube controller as the main controller for nintendont but from what I can tell the gamepad acts as player one and I can't have the gc remote override that. Is it a simple checkbox to use it as the main remote?
When you start the game, just refuse to use the GamePad.
If you use the GamePad, it's player 1.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ wish they'd made Retroarch more user friendly. It took forever to get it set up on my pc and even that was a cluster fuck

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
With the lack of any announcement regarding Nintendo legacy content, I feel the need to bump this thread ;)
I really need to dig out my Wii U and homebrew it. A while back, I did the softmod via the Wii portion of it, but didn't do anything after the Wii U hack was released. Just changed DNS or something!

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I added Nintendont to my Wii U about two years ago, maybe? I may have added Retroarch, but it all launches through the vWii. Is there a way now to launch these apps directly from the Wii U menu?

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
This is worth it for me just so I can play F-Zero GX. I've hacked my SNES Mini, but it'd be awesome to do something similar with my Wii U.

Oct 26, 2017
I just fired up my WiiU after having it gather dust for over a year or so and realized I have it on 5.5.2. Looks like I did some kind of custom firmware or something something back in the day? Then after I finished, I thought, "that's cool" and never used it. I'd like to get it all up-to-date. Is the guide in the OP still good for that? It looks like it assume you have stock firwmare and haven't done anything. Wish there was a guide to start from where I am so I didn't have to start from scratch.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You got three guesses.

2959.jpg

OP
OP
GingerbreadMan
Oct 27, 2017
I added Nintendont to my Wii U about two years ago, maybe? I may have added Retroarch, but it all launches through the vWii. Is there a way now to launch these apps directly from the Wii U menu?
Yes, the community managed to inject any title in the official vWii VC "wrapper" so you can have Nintendont on the Wii U Menu and launch it directly. You have to use this tool here https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/ you can also inject a GCN game.

I just fired up my WiiU after having it gather dust for over a year or so and realized I have it on 5.5.2. Looks like I did some kind of custom firmware or something something back in the day? Then after I finished, I thought, "that's cool" and never used it. I'd like to get it all up-to-date. Is the guide in the OP still good for that? It looks like it assume you have stock firwmare and haven't done anything. Wish there was a guide to start from where I am so I didn't have to start from scratch.
It is. Do you see some text on a black screen while your Wii U is booting?