• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I still need to play this one, been following it since the Kickstarter days but haven't gotten around to actually playing it. Will probably get it on Switch once that version comes out. I really hope Psychonauts 2 sells just as well, if not better, once it comes out next year.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, what I think is that not wanting to redo some trivial and hardly relevant voice over just in spite of a voice actor you used having anti-immigration ideas is a far cry from being "a white supremacist".

But you can keep doing your self-righteous hyperboles if they actually make you feel so much better about yourself.
Didn't he say something along the lines of other races diminishing the white gene pool or something?

Thats...Pretty white supremeacisty dude. That doesn't take into account all the shady things the director had his hand in.

I'm really not sure anything anyone is saying is hyperbole. You're awfully defensive.

Oct 31, 2017
You're awfully defensive.
Sure, I must have a HIDDEN AGENDA!
It surely has nothing to do with this sort of bullshit being exasperating to the point of physical exaustion.
Everyone who says or does something you don't like istantly jumps to NAZI level and you will make sure every-fucking-one wil have to hear about it at any possible chance.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It surely has nothing to do with this sort of bullshit being exasperating to the point of physical exaustion.
Everyone who says or does something you don't like istantly jumps to NAZI level and you will make sure every-fucking-one wil have to hear about it at any possible chance.
There's nothing wrong with calling out people who have done shitty things. I have sympathy though, it truly must be hard getting physically exhausted reading things on an online forum.

This forum doesn't generally let bigots get a pass just because they made/or contributed to a good game. Maybe GameFaqs would work better? They're all about embracing those types over there.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game. Hope a possible sequel cuts down on the white supremacist cameos. I feel at least 50% less should be in the cards.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
This is not JonTron's game. He had nothing to do with the development of the game and his role on it was severely reduced.

No. The director has a history of stealing work from artists, doxxing, and blackmailing.

Remove JonTron entirely and the director is still a piece of shit.

Control+F+Nazi. Nope, just you jumping to that.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's pretty much what a good chunk of discussion ends up becoming in completely unrelated threads. Gets pretty damn old.

Skaterboy

May 16, 2018
Game is good.
I don't know shit about the director and or Jontron.
Can I just get a quote or two from the Tron himself that genuinely vilifies him.
I don't care about the Director, his team doesn't deserve to be sunk for his sins.

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Great game with some fantastic music. Absolutely deserved!
Going to double dip once the switch version is out.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. The director has a history of stealing work from artists, doxxing, and blackmailing.

Remove JonTron entirely and the director is still a piece of shit.

Control+F+Nazi. Nope, just you jumping to that.
He has definitely been pretty shitty in the past and hasn't exactly apologized, but i'm not aware of anything bad he has done in recent times

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I've still not played it but I'm very happy to see a game that takes so many cues from Paper Mario resonating with an audience. I hope that series makes a comeback one day. Still undecided on whether I'll support the Switch release

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Do you realise what your defending here? Rather than get upset read what the guy actually said. It's was some clear cut KKK type rhetoric and your just displaying your ignorance batting for something like that.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Do you realise what your defending here? Rather than get upset read what the guy actually said. It's was some clear cut KKK type rhetoric and your just displaying your ignorance batting for something like that.

Give him a break, all of this defending is exacerbating to the point of physical exhaustion.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit on my buddy's PS4, it was ok if unremarkable.

Not ready to give my money for the Switch version after the racist fuckery and the dev's childish tantrum after being asked for a Switch version.

Whoever runs their social media accounts can eat a bag of dicks for breakfast.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Good, it's the best platformer this gen next to mario odyssey.

And frankly, the gap isn't as wide as you'd think.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
People like calling out this game for it's individual devs, I'll join in; shout out to my buddy Sieg, one of the art directors, he's the GM to my weekly D&D game, super talented dude and one of the nicest I know. I'd love the game even if I didn't know him though, it's genuinely great and it deserves the success.

Fuck Jontron also.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
Glad to hear it's sold well. I've heard a lot of good things and want to play it. Holding out for a physical release on PS4 or Switch.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm happy that games like this can succeed.

It's one of the games I won't play because of the creator's behaviour. Committing to Jontron's inclusion was the icing on the cake.

I think it's unfair to antagonise people for allowing their moral compass to guide which work they support. People are free to engage with works by anyone they wish, but I think we'd all be better off if we could respect people's reasons for avoiding a product.

Last edited:

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
It's a nice game, I bought it on PC (Switch version was taking too long for me and my impatience. :) ), but I liked Super Lucky's Tale more, surprisingly. For me it was Yooka<Hat<Lucky.

I wouldn't have expected that going in.

Lucky was loads of fun as well, a very pleasant surprise, although I'd still give A Hat in Time a slight advantage.

People like calling out this game for it's individual devs, I'll join in; shout out to my buddy Sieg, one of the art directors, he's the GM to my weekly D&D game, super talented dude and one of the nicest I know. I'd love the game even if I didn't know him though, it's genuinely great and it deserves the success.

Fuck Jontron also.

Cheers to Sieg, the game has wonderful art (although I do wish the visuals weren't slightly undermined by rough aliasing in the Xbox One version).

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I wish this game had bombed and everyone on the dev team had become paupers because of the actions of one guy.

/s, wish I could say the same for similar comments. Collective punishment is usually a bad thing

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beautifully charming game. Extremely tight gameplay, especially with a mouse and keyboard. The fact it's fully voice acted is a really nice touch.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The game is awesome and it deserves it. I really hope they will create a proper second installement some time in the future.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
I had a surprising amount of fun playing this. Happy to see that it did well.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Still won't be picking it up, the actions and attitude of the director have made it one of the few games that I'll turn down playing despite knowing I'd likely enjoy it and it being a genre that's been sorely lacking in original output recently.

I'm glad it's seen some success though, for all the others that worked hard on it. I just wonder how it would have done without the bullshit affecting it. Big shame all around.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

Maybe don't trivialize an actual Nazi who talked about white genocide and the white gene pool getting invaded and changed by immigrants and people won't jump on you for defending a Nazi. Either you have no idea what Jon actually said or you think what he said doesn't turn him into a white supremacist. I hope it's the first, you spent some time on Google and are then able to apologize for going with the "Oh, ANYONE who is a little critical of immigration is a Nazi"-defense, when we are actually talking about someone who spouts 1:1 the same shit David Duke does.

A few quotes getting you started:

• "Once Le Pen and Wilders gets in. Hopefully they win, hopefully they win..."[79]
  • Destiny: So what if whites became the minority but most brown people assimilated to the culture. Would that be okay then?
    Jafari: Yeah, but if they assimilated, they would enter the gene pool eventually and would just... you know...[48][49][50]
  • What is it that's so offensive about white people saying they would like to preserve their demographic majority?[59][60]
  • What do you call a large number of people from one specific place, coming in, setting up their own ethnic enclaves and then waving their own flag inside of our nation? ... There are also large swathes of them who want to break parts of America off back into Mexico.[15]
  • You can't make the argument that whites should be okay with them becoming a minority in the country their ancestors built if it doesn't apply to other countries.[13]
  • Wealthy blacks also commit more crime than poor whites, that's a fact. Yeah, look it up.[51][52][53]
  • These are just slurs; white supremacist, racist.[57][58

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/JonTron#Additional_quotes

Jon is the literal definition of a white supremacist. No one in this thread has called anyone but Jon exactly that term.There are other problems with the director, but him supporting and not denouncing a white supremacist certainly is one of them.

A lot of people can clearly ignore this when playing the game. I couldn't. Many others couldn't. Because knowing that the person responsible for this cheerful, happy game happily included a open racist tarnishes everything the game wants to achieve and makes it impossible for many to enjoy it. And they are voicing their discomfort, which is absolutely fine.

Last edited:

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
The director might be an asshole but the game itself deserves to be played by that many people. It's just so fun and charming. I honestly believe that if it had an equivalent budget to Odyssey, it would be the better game.

Oct 27, 2017
Fun to see, the game was quite good and was more in line with what I was hoping Yooka-Laylee would be. With a bigger budget a sequel could reach the hall,of great platformers quite easily.

Didn't know about the director. Shame, but there's a whole team behind this game so I'm happy it's successful.