• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
or they have bad spending habits!

Although who knows, maybe that stuff is cheaper to obtain when youre in Japan

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
My teacher used to have a mini arcade in her basement 😔

I miss owning arcade cabinets

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not woke on the arcade resell racket (much less the japanese one) but i'd assume most arcade owners want to get most of that off their hands quick for a not so insane price

not that whoever owns that isn't a baller but it is feasible if that's really your thing i guess

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
What you didn't see is that this person has to move that After Burner II cabinet if they want to open their fridge.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Lived in Japan for years and never met anyone with enough money or a large enough home for that. I'd love to own a few arcade cabs one day. That's beautiful.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Having bought arcade parts from Japan over the past couple of years to put together a small machine that I could never dream of affording to import otherwise, I can absolutely assure you that arcade cabinets are NOT noticeably cheaper to buy and arcade owners are quite happy to hold onto them until they get a good price. Like yeah, you can pick up tatty, yellowed, smoke ruined Astro City shells for not much but anything desirable, in good condition or still classified as "current" will cost you a pretty penny (especially that Darius Burst EX, holy shit I don't want to know how much they paid for that monster).

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me wonder how much arcade machines run there compared to the US. I'd think they'd be cheaper with the amount of secondhand machines from arcades.

edit: Seems someone already said no, damn :(

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, they even got some vending machines too. I wonder how hot that room gets?

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of those machines were gotten from international auctions, increasing the cost since they gotta be shipped across the ocean and/or a whole continent.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
If he really wants to complete the Japanese arcade look he will need to put in a crane game where you can win some sketchy anime figure.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to be rich to say you live in an arcade, come o--

Urm, those are not the domain of rich people, there are lots of small home arcades in Japan that operate as an out of home biz while the owner has an actual job and the second one again is a paying arcade you can use while having your car fixxed.

--wait I was joking, you mean these people really DO live in an arcade?

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
My home arcade
Wvh2yyv.jpg

Sep 12, 2018
You don't have to be rich to say you live in an arcade, come o--

--wait I was joking, you mean these people really DO live in an arcade?

Yes, most have inherited an actual home in a city like Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka or wherever and grew up in the 90s and decided to dedicate the garage or one room to what they loved growing up. Again, most of these people have an actual job and run their mini arcade as a side biz.

Some even hold tournaments dedicated to certain niche games like Twinkle Star Sprites or Fighting Vipers 2.

Sep 12, 2018
Example, you all know about the Beat Tribe cup right?
It started out as a Virtua Fighter tournament in a basement called Community Basement Beat Tribe.
The tournament got famous and what started as a personal arcade in a basement still exists but is now called Game Newton Oyama in Tokyo, small crowded and AWESOME.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
how tf you gonna fit that shit in a japanese マンション? Gotta be a proper house... damn

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
It's been a personal dream of mine to own a candy cabinet I can mod out to put in a console, Raspberry Pi, and/or a PC strictly for gaming & emulation inside, with additional output ports so I can either broadcast to a nearby T or set up for streaming.

But I don't have that kind of budget. Or the room, for that matter.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if I was rich, I would do this and then immediately regret when I remember that I don't like arcade games.

rein

Apr 16, 2018
That's so cool. Imagine just chilling with your friends and playing arcade games.