• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
UY4LZU2Y6JHH7HNI24M6E2EVOA.jpg

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subu...0191102-3cl76kisdjcbvi3cotqgqahfj4-story.html

A group of children and adults celebrating a birthday at a Naperville restaurant last weekend were asked to move to different tables because of the color of their skin, two men who were part of the group said.

Justin Vahl and Marcus Riley said they visited the Buffalo Wild Wings on 75th Street east of Route 59 to celebrate a child's birthday about 8:30 p.m. Oct. 26.

As employees set up the tables to seat the group, a host asked Vahl about his ethnicity, and later a manager asked the group to move to another location because a nearby customer didn't want to sit near black people, the men said.

A manager at the restaurant Friday directed any questions to Buffalo Wild Wings' corporate communications team.

Claire Kudlata, coordinator of brand communications, said in an email that Buffalo Wild Wings has zero tolerance for discrimination.

"We take this alleged incident very seriously and are conducting a thorough, internal investigation," Kudlata said in the email. "We're in direct communication with the guest to understand their account of what happened and to offer our deepest apologies for any unacceptable behavior."

Vahl, who lives in Montgomery and said he is multiracial, said he's never experienced discrimination like that before in public, and it was made worse because his children — ages 5 and 9 — witnessed it.
He was the first in his group to arrive at the restaurant, Vahl said, and he initially told the host he needed seating for 15 people.
As the staff was setting up the tables, he said he realized he'd miscounted and went to the tables to discuss adding more chairs for three more kids.

Vahl returned to the waiting area, where the host — who Vahl described as a young black man — asked, "What race are you?"
Vahl asked why it mattered.

He said the host explained that one of the restaurant's regular customers seated nearby "doesn't want black people sitting near him."
"I'm not going to let a customer dictate where we sit," Vahl said, and he told the host to seat the party at the table.

Vahl said a manager then approached the group shortly after speaking with the regular customer and his guest. The manager told Vahl's group they needed to move because the tables had been reserved by another party of 18.
A Naperville Sun reporter later called the restaurant and was told the Naperville location does not take reservations.
After multiple managers tried to get the group to move, Vahl said the six adults decided to go to another restaurant.

Riley said the drive to the next restaurant was difficult because the children in his car thought someone had done something wrong.

The father of two boys, ages 6 and 10, said he explained how the adults didn't want to spend their money at the restaurant. "If they don't value us as people, as human beings, would you want to pay them?" he said he asked the kids.
Just as challenging, Riley said, were questions like, "Why does he not like us?"

"That was the most troubling thing for me," he said.

This is America Part SIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
That topic title alone just made me physically shudder. What Is wrong with people?

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Fucking crazy. How else could you react to this stuff around your family?
I'm sure we all Think we'd react a certain way, but, Kinda irresponsible to get heated around your children

Boom Roasted

Feb 8, 2018
As much as this story makes me feel empathetic to Vahl and his family, a part of me thinks these overt incidents are good for the cause because it removes the plausible deniability closeted racists keep hiding behind.

Smh @ the black employee who allegedly participated in this absurdity.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
What the fuck? Also, that part about the host is strange. The manager going along with it too. Man, some people should be losing jobs.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I hilariously read that headline as "Group of adults/kids celebrate not sitting next to black people" lmao

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
fucking racist pieces of garbage. and fuck wild wings for that bullshit. they should've thrown that regular customer out on their ass

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. I mean Buffalo Wild Wings tend to be poorly managed in my experience but being asked to move because of race is pretty shocking and a great way to get fired or sued or both.
I mean if you asked me where something like this MIGHT happen in/around Chicago, Naperville would be on my short list. So not that shocked. Sad, sickening, but not really all that shocking. Especially not in the "MAGA" era of emboldened shitbags.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
It is interesting that Buffalo Wild Wings says they will check regarding the guest (in a lot of cases, no issue with that and it would be the easiest path to investigate) but ignore that apparently MULTIPLE managers told them to sit somewhere else and LIED about the table being reserved.

I'm sorry but fire those people.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I already wasn't eating at Buffalo Wild Wings due to the one I used to go to being shut down temporarily because of a rat problem and just the fact that their wings suck compared to WingStop, but this definitely sours me on going to another one.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
User Banned (1 month): Dismissing Concerns of Racism, Threadwhining, and Hostility Over Multiple Posts
Hey, keep up your outrage circle jerking, far be it from me to stop you.

Roland Garros

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 9, 2019
How can this be real. It's fucking ridiculous. If everything happened as they said it happened, every staff member involved should be fired and charged.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Normally I don't support people being terminated, but rather, coached and retrained. But nah, fuck that shit. Every employee and staff member involved in this incident needs to be fired, immediately. This is just so goddamn ignorant. Like, this is some Jim Crow level of racism here. Holy fucking shit. I would have lost every bit of my sanity if that happened to me.

This is the kind of topic I wish we had less of here. It's like, "yeah this sucks?" What conversation is this supposed to evoke?

Yikes, partner. I get what you're saying, but there's a far better way to illustrate your point without totally poo pooing on the discussion entirely. That's a sure fire way to get in trouble.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Also, B Dub sucks anyway. Plenty of local bars and pubs in your area have better food, drinks and service too.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
This is the kind of topic I wish we had less of here. It's like, "yeah this sucks?" What conversation is this supposed to evoke?

Gaming side's that way. You didn't need this +1, we can't see your post count. This post was pointless. There's an ignore button for threads. All those are ways of saying "if you didn't have anything to contribute (and you clearly didn't), then why post at all?"

Family is going to get paid. Even in Trump land.

I don't know about paid, but hopefully people get fired.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The correct response to the racist is: "There's a seat outside at the bus stop. Nobody to bother you there. GTFO"

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017

I mean why does this offend you so much? Like does this hit to close to home for you or something? I know it must suck seeing stuff like this all the time but imagine having to actually be one of the people who have to deal with bs like this.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

I mean why does this offend you so much? Like does this hit to close to home for you or something? I know it must suck seeing stuff like this all the time but imagine having to actually be one of the people who have to deal with bs like this.
Like, seriously! What kind of backward ass complaint is that?

"Boo, I'm tired of hearing and reading about injustices going on on my country!"

Well, so the fuck am I! So the fuck are they! We're also goddamn tired of experiencing this shit. The sooner we have to stop having it happen to us, the sooner we stop telling everyone, and the sooner you stop having to read about it!

Fix the root cause of our complaints if you don't want to hear our complaints.

moonie

Oct 25, 2019
What is this, did we learn nothing from the 1950s?

Where is our modern day Rosa Parks?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The hell, I don't understand why any restaurant staff would even entertain this idea. If racists have problems with other folk, surely they can get the fuck out of there themselves.

Oct 27, 2017
Happy for a black person to serve them food, though.
I can't remember who the comedian was (maybe Chris Rock?) but he made a joke about how in America a lot of white people don't like black people moving into houses in their neighbourhoods... while during slavery black people were in their house.

Never underestimate how many people are only "ok" with black people when they can view / treat us as below them. And will completely unironically see themselves as not being racist because of it... But when a situation comes up where we're equal to or prioritised above them for whatever reason — then you'll see who them for who they really are.

Last edited:

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you asked me where something like this MIGHT happen in/around Chicago, Naperville would be on my short list. So not that shocked. Sad, sickening, but not really all that shocking. Especially not in the "MAGA" era of emboldened shitbags.
I live nearby in Plainfield but why Naperville?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
The hell, I don't understand why any restaurant staff would even entertain this idea. If racists have problems with other folk, surely they can get the fuck out of there themselves.
Society has been set up so that the comfort of white peoples comes first. It's conditioning that's too often difficult to break and a testament to how ingrained white supremacy is that telling those bigots to bounce wasn't the first and only response. A lot of workplaces could benefit not just from diversity focused training but directly teaching employees to firmly push back against bigoted customers as much as bigoted coworkers; A hardline policy of refusing to serve customers who display this kind of contempt for marginalized people.

Last edited: