• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Interesting...

• It's a good word, I like to use it

Votes: 178 37.9%
  • Your professor was right, it's nothing, like saying "that's crazy" or "lol"

Votes: 136 28.9%
  • I agree but still use it all the time and have no plans to change in the future

Votes: 156 33.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about precise definitions of words. It's just that it goes without saying that what you're writing about is in a general sense interesting to you, which is why you're writing about it in the first place.
That's a different case than I was describing, but In your case it's about the usage. nothing inherent about the word again.

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
As others have already pointed out, "interesting" is not a word you use in academic literature. It's kind of expected that whoever did the work finds it interesting, they're doing it after all! But stating something is interesting really tells the reader nothing. Think of it is as show don't tell: explain why you think something is interesting (without using the word), or more plainly, why the reader should care about your work. Don't just tell them it's "interesting".

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
He actually never specified if he meant in academic writing or just in general. It was in class, but it could have been taken either way.

Regardless, I don't think striving to use a more accurate word in conversation is a bad thing, even if I still end up using interesting from time to time. In papers, though, he was absolutely right and I don't think it should be used in an academic context.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ask him if using "Yikes" and "cringe" is okay.

As for the word "interesting", it depends on the context. It's a perfectly fine word in many contexts. I'm not gonna stop saying "This looks like an interesting documentary" in favor of "This looks like a thought-provoking documentary." Just because an adjective is more specific doesn't mean it's more appropriate.

Deleted member 20892

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
gnNw3NJ.jpg

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I use the word when I think someone just told me some BS or when I just don't care of thinking of a response.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine in conversation. In any serious writing, keep your "interestings" to a minimum. Things can be intriguing, hilarious, fascinating, blah blah blah I can quote from a thesaurus.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
My High School English teacher said this about 'entertaining', which I think is fair enough. You should be explaining why something is interesting or entertaining, not just throwing it out there and moving on.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I only use "interesting" as a reply when I can't be bothered to come up with a real answer or simply don't care at all.

It's a positive sounding nothingburger.

Oct 30, 2017
he's right. you need to say why something is interesting in order for the statement to be useful at all, and it's very rare that doing so wouldn't render the "it's interesting" part redundant.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's a meaningless word. It's like a placeholder for pending thoughts, like saying "Umm"

I still use it all the time, but it's usually unhelpful in actually conveying whatever thoughts I have on something.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
In writing yeah. In conversations as well but at least it's more acceptable there as an indicator that the speaker has some other thoughts flowing on the subject which they can't quite describe.

I liked Spock's overuse of "Fascinating"

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Sometimes you need to learn a rule as an absolute to get out of the habit of using it without thinking. Some words or phrases are horribly misused, but that doesn't mean they have no use whatsoever. For example, most of us were probably taught at school never to start a sentence with "and" or "but." However, both of those words are perfectly fine sentence openers if used correctly and sparingly, and in the right situation they can even elevate a text. The same goes for a word like "interesting," I suppose. There's usually a better word to pick for the situation, and if you make that into a habit instead, the few times when you do use the word "interesting" will be far more... interesting.

So sure, stop using the word completely for a while, at least until you get used to doing so. Then start gradually reintroducing it when appropriate. Your writing will likely be better for it in the long run.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
In academic/formal writing, I agree with him. There probably is a better, more descriptive word you can use.

But that's about it.

Sometimes, you need to use placeholder words, because you have not yet formed enough of an opinion on something to use another.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Interest" is a common heuristic for convolutional neural networks. When doing academic AI write ups, the word "interesting" has definite non-basic meaning.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
There's always a more specific and descriptive word than "interesting".
I feel like the whole point (and power) of the word is in its generality, though. "If I discover anything interesting, I'll let you know." I don't have to know in advance why my findings may be interesting, but the implications are understood.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Any synonym you'd use like noteworthy or intriguing would still be equally vague unless you follow up with details to explain your statement. Interesting is probably just being attacked because it's used more frequently and the professor feels it's a pretty weak word at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
Professor here.

That grad professor is right. There isn't a good reason to use it in academic writing - you have time and space to convey precise thoughts through the written word. Saying that an idea is "interesting" in that context is doubly offensive:

1. It lacks clarity and doesn't advance your argument. So what if you think it is interesting? It's not an argument, and you're occupying space with a thought that will just need further explanation in the next sentence. It's awkward and unnecessary. That sounds brutal, I know. 😁

2. Your audience already assumes that your topic is interesting. After all, you decided to write a damn paper about the topic and its various components in a narrower sense. Since that's the case, what kind of impression does using that word give us? It reads and sounds like a person who doesn't know quite how to advance at that point of the discussion, and I'd rather have a person exploring the topic with expressed doubt than a person who claims an idea is interesting.

These rules aren't absolute, but "interesting" is a term that few people are equipped to use well. Just avoid it.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
Professor here.

That grad professor is right. There isn't a good reason to use it in academic writing - you have time and space to convey precise thoughts through the written word. Saying that an idea is "interesting" in that context is doubly offensive:

1. It lacks clarity and doesn't advance your argument. So what if you think it is interesting? It's not an argument, and you're occupying space with a thought that will just need further explanation in the next sentence. It's awkward and unnecessary. That sounds brutal, I know. 😁

2. Your audience already assumes that your topic is interesting. After all, you decided to write a damn paper about the topic and its various components in a narrower sense. Since that's the case, what kind of impression does using that word give us? It reads and sounds like a person who doesn't know quite how to advance at that point of the discussion, and I'd rather have a person exploring the topic with expressed doubt than a person who claims an idea is interesting.

These rules aren't absolute, but "interesting" is a term that few people are equipped to use well. Just avoid it.

And for the record, this is only for academic writing. Obviously, there are rules that apply there that don't carry into other contexts or writing styles.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Generally, yes, you should not be using empty words to convey meaning in an academic paper.

What people mistake about these writing tips is that they are guidelines more than rules. Sometimes, though rare, you'll have need to bend them either to make your topic more interesting ( ;) )or to clarify your meaning to a specific audience.

I would not mark it down in any sense unless it was overused or used in a way that did not convey a proper meaning.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
He's not wrong, even in everyday usage. Interesting is super vague and there are better ways to convey interest in a topic.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Filler words are fine depending on context and if you expand upon the topic.

If we're only talking about acedemic writings then sure, your professor has a point.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Avoiding using it in an effort to broaden your vocabulary if you tend to rely on it a bit too much, sure, that's good and healthy.
But there's no such thing as an empty word... there's empty uses of words.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
As a (former) English academic and prof, I told my students exactly the same thing. "Interesting" really doesn't mean anything in most cases and is just a fluff word, at least when it comes to high-level academic writing.

Oct 27, 2017
I used to always say sorry for a lot of things when I was younger and my dad told me to stop always saying sorry. That's why I switched to "I apologize" it wasn't what he meant but it stuck lol

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Casual conversation, yeah, whatever, doesn't really matter.

But in any form of serious writing where you're trying to describe or explain something, yep, "interesting" is a nothing word.