• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Definitely a favorite of mine and a cult classic and at its heart, it's a touching father-son story.

I remember being pleasantly surprised when Roxanne showed up in an episode of House of Mouse.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the same day that Disney finally put I 2 I and Stand Out on Apple Music, they took away the Robin Williams songs from the Aladdin soundtrack.

There's no better vibe than the vibe of someone who has a playlist that plays I 2 I or Stand Out while driving.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Cried my eyes out in the theater watching this with my parents. I remember telling my mom that I loved her when Max was being a dick to Goofy.

Also, never forget this delicious looking slice of cartoon pizza.

tumblr_inline_moylb1QqC11qz4rgp.gif

Ratadad

Nov 22, 2021
One of my favorites. Watched this so many times with my boy. God... someone started chopping onions in here.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I still remember how I felt walking out of the theater as a kid that night.

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
90s Disney Channel had some great TV movies. Other one I remember liking was Johnny Tsunami or some shit

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I think today is the day I hit my breaking point and stop letting these threads bother me. I'm fucking old and all of the best years of my life were just the first one third of it. I just need to get used to that.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorites growing up. Gorgeous movie, really heartfelt, stands up really well next to the Renaissance movies of the era. Wish we'd gotten more mid-budget theatrical releases from the studio before they were sent off to the direct-to-video mines - I think it proves they had the talent to make some all-time classics, even with a fraction of the money of the main Walt Disney Animation team.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The most personally relatable thing about Goofy Movie for me is that when I first watched it as a kid, I was absolutely oblivious to the way that Roxanne was into Max through the whole thing, but it got extremely and comically obvious as I got older and rewatched it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that both this movie and it's direct-to-VHS sequel were seen as "lesser" films among pundits back in the day since I feel like they've both aged incredibly well (its sequel perhaps to a lesser extent since it's much more of a "period" piece). Maybe it's just a generational thing, it feels like those films really captured a millennial essence, but the animations are still lovely, the jokes land, and the core is heartfelt. The Powerline concert is still one of the most cathartic finales, not just because of how well staged it is, but because what with Max's more grounded perspective of the world and how unrealistic his ambitions would seem to a person like him, only someone like Goofy with his cartoonish caliber could unrealistically crash into that kind of situation and successfully play it into a cool moment. It's like a triumph for the character and proof that Goofy is, in fact, cool.

Wonderful movie that you really age into.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Always loved this movie, still rewatching it from time to time and it's always great

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think my vhs is capable of playing this again so good and I don't think as a white dude how much black culture these movies taught me, disney put a lot in to these vhs movies with really creative peoplr

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I've adored the reappraisal this movie has seemed to get over the years. People talk about it more and more positively than a bunch of other Disney films of the era. It's just a fantastic film.

Watching it again recently the period piece nature of it is way more obvious and endearing. Like, Goody works in an industry that doesn't really exist anymore and Star Trek nerds were the emblems of being geeky.

My only complaint about Turning Red was the songs in it weren't as good as the Powerline songs here.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I saw this post and was instantly transported back into time, watching this with my dad in the movie theatre - I can even smell the popcorn.

Memories and nostalgia is a weird thing man.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
One of my all time favorite movies. Practically a comfort movie. I will never not be down to watch A Goofy Movie but also know that I'm not always good at fighting the urge to sing along.

I wish Mickey and Donald were given movies like this that really ground them emotionally and give them a range and depth to their characters that we rarely get to see in shorts.

Watching this now, the scene where Pete and Goofy are in the hot tub followed by Goofy going to his car and seeing the map is a standout for the quality of the animation, colors, lighting, layout, the vocal performances from Bill Farmer and Jim Cummings, not just as actors but as THESE characters is so cool. Damn I'm gonna have to rewatch this tonight.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've adored the reappraisal this movie has seemed to get over the years. People talk about it more and more positively than a bunch of other Disney films of the era. It's just a fantastic film.

Watching it again recently the period piece nature of it is way more obvious and endearing. Like, Goody works in an industry that doesn't really exist anymore and Star Trek nerds were the emblems of being geeky.

My only complaint about Turning Red was the songs in it weren't as good as the Powerline songs here.
It helps that 1995 is when we were in the high point of that style of pop(heavy MJ influence). Good times, Turning Red did what it could but at the end of day, it's still harkening back to these glorious years.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Had it on VHS and a cassette tape, both listened and watched it so many times as a kid.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
I still load up the songs from this movie. My absolute favorite scene is Stand Out. Max becoming a hero to the school, pulling off what would be an awesome High School prank, and the viewer realizing Roxanne was already into Max while Max was trying to impress her. Such a great segment.

youtu.be

A Goofy Movie - Stand Out Scene (4K)

its upscaled to 4k btw. since people been asking here the stand out scene where max win roxannes heart by flushing the boring principle down the toilet and...

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I don't count that... since he's not with Roxanne.

Isn't he not with Roxanne in a an Extreme Goofy movie as well?
Loved this movie, wish Donald would have gotten something similar too.

Quack Pack should've gotten a movie.
Well this was a follow up to the Goof Troop cartoon.

..there was An Extremely Goofy Movie where Max goes to college....

If it is a Goof Troop follow up then where were Peg and Pistol?

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I saw this movie with my dad when it came out and it was one of the first things I watched on D+. It still holds up, especially the music.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
The movie made me a better person as a kid. I stopped getting embarrassed by my mom whenever she'd start singing in the grocery store or when she showed affection in public after seeing it.

And the songs were absolute bangers.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I love this movie. Watched it so many times and I actually tried to hook up our two VCRs so I could copy the movie that was rented from Blockbuster. There was only a single song in there that I didn't really care for that much but the rest of the soundtrack is great.

Also has one of the wacky scenes in animation that never fails to put a smile on my face.

giphy.gif

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
This movie and its follow ups are the reason why Goofy is the only one of the "core" Disney cast that stuck with me. Goofy being a well intentioned, kind but dense, struggling single father makes him incredibly endearing.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This movie and its follow ups are the reason why Goofy is the only one of the "core" Disney cast that stuck with me. Goofy being a well intentioned, kind but dense, struggling single father makes him incredibly endearing.
It's actually interesting that Max was allowed to age unlike most cartoon characters.