• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Juices

alt account
Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Roxanne is a babe. I'm not gonna lie, she's super hot.
tumblr_mxcua8piTk1qm6oc3o1_500.gif

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
What was up with that principal though? How do you misconstrue a kid's attempt to impress a girl so badly that you think he's destined for the electric chair?

I remember reading an article about some of the black culture subtext in the film, intentional or not, and it definitely gave another spin on that Principal.

Let's not forget Max's persona, either. A pretty good kid, Max was easily misunderstood by a bum ass principal who recklessly labeled him based on his baggy clothes and – okay, fine, Max did highjack a school assembly. But although Max wasn't perfect, how quick did Principal Mazur brand him? Do you remember what Max was called? "Dressed like a gang member, your son caused the entire student body to break out in a riotous frenzy," he said. "If I were you, Mr. Goof, I'd seriously reevaluate the way you're raising your child before he ends up in the electric chair." Gang member. Riot. Any of this sound familiar? Max did reach his hood pinnacle at Lester's Possum Park though when he smacked the shit out a mascot that tried to hug him.

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fantastic movie and definitely one of my favorite Disney movies. I know it has a cult following, but I wish it was praised as much as some of the other big Disney movies. The songs are just as good, if not better than most other Disney movies. The story is wonderful and I love it more and more the older I get. It's also hilarious, there are so many scenes that cracks me up.

Last edited:

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And one of the best parts wasn't even technically in the movie!

only 90s kids &c

Well that's something I totally forgot but immediately had rush back just at that thumbnail holy cow

Eye to Eye (I refuse to call it the official title it's so dumb lol) is such a great song.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I wish this had a Blu Ray but they won't. Likely because it's not HD.
A Blu-ray 2-pack with the sequel (which imo was decent, though not as good as the first) would be a slam dunk and I'm surprised they haven't already done it.

I don't see why they couldn't remaster it like the other 90s animated classics, plus the movie has a ton of nostalgia-driven merchandise.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this movie is great. Pretty sure my 5 year old self was as into powerline and Roxanne as Max was. The soundtrack is too good. Councidentally, I just bought the dvd and forced my wife to watch it like a week ago. She wasn't into it :/

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny how of all classic Disney characters it's Goofy who gets the most human showing in a movie. The moments from when Pete confronts him to him telling Max that he just wants to be a part of his son's life were pretty crazy for someone who was often the literal goof off the group.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Yo Stacy, talk to me talk to me talk to me bay bayyyy

Came here to post this quote. I fucking LOVE this movie so damn much. I always wondered whether that quote was intentionally taken from Jodeci's track called Come And Talk To Me. Oh and I had the biggest crush on Roxanne, goodness gracious. That just might have been my first animated crush. I still remember seeing this movie in theaters as a kid and seeing movie posters for Toy Story in the hallway lol. I know I've got A Goofy Movie on VHS at my mom's still, I seriously hope it gets released on Blu-ray some day. Shit's gonna make me bawl now that I'm an adult with a kid of my own though.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this in the theatre, my family and an old couple were the only people in the whole movie theatre!

Will always be a top 5 animated movie for me, it is so quotable and easy to watch.

The sequel is awful

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I love this movie. I think it might still be my favorite Disney movie. Used to rent and watch it a lot and admittedly tried to copy it one time. And there is only a single song that I didn't like in the movie. Too bad about the sequel though.

Now I'm in the mood to listen to part of the soundtrack on YouTube.

cHaotix

Oct 25, 2017
One of the GOAT Disney films. Loved it when I saw it in theaters as a kid. Loved it when I watched it again a couple years back. Might be due for another rewatch now. Tevin Campbell had some bangers.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Genuinely maybe one of Disney's most underrated films and also one of their cult classics.

The music was second to none and was a genuinely grown up film, with Goofy being used to take the edge of how serious it was. It works so well.

Oct 25, 2017
I mused on the other site some time ago as to why it hasn't come out on Bluray. Essentially this scene:

hKD4Cof.gif

Has Pete making guns out of his hands. This gesture (and even ALLUDING to it in shape) is banned in all US schools and will invoke a prompt suspension in all cases. Considering this, and considering that this appears in a film marketed towards children, the likelihood of this gesture tying up the film is likely in my opinion. You can't edit around it, and you can't just cut it. It would break the scene entirely.

Yeah you can argue there are technically worse things in many more Disney animated films (did Frollo just rape-ily sniff her hair!?), but thems the breaks. Murica.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I mused on the other site some time ago as to why it hasn't come out on Bluray. Essentially this scene:

hKD4Cof.gif

Has Pete making guns out of his hands. This gesture (and even ALLUDING to it in shape) is banned in all US schools and will invoke a prompt suspension in all cases. Considering this, and considering that this appears in a film marketed towards children, the likelihood of this gesture tying up the film is likely in my opinion. You can't edit around it, and you can't just cut it. It would break the scene entirely.

Yeah you can argue there are technically worse things in many more Disney animated films (did Frollo just rape-ily sniff her hair!?), but thems the breaks. Murica.
I really doubt this is why - you can still buy the movie on DVD and digitally.

https://www.amazon.com/Goofy-Movie-Disney-Classic-Collection/dp/B00004R99F

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
3. One of my friends insists this movie hides a subplot of the relationship between an abusive father and his son (AKA Pete and PJ). And upon rewatching this, I can't help but think Pete is jealous that Goofy and Max get along swimmingly.
One scene where this is demonstrated, but also overlooked, is the bowling scene where Pete has PJ knock down his last pin. After Pete does this he holds up his hand for PJ to high five him, only to "psyche" him, and the look PJ has on his face is of pure disappointment, like he was humiliated and you can practically feel the pain going through him in that brief shot before it cuts back to Pete talking to Goofy.