• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I think everyone else has addressed most things and I agree.

But can we talk about your workplace culture?

How the FUCK did this spread? This should have been a personal thing between your friend and HR.

Well from what I've seen in these situations, people are usually unsure of what to do about something that makes them feel uncomfortable. Most will not go straight to their boss or HR because that means causing trouble. A new employee in particular falls into this category. Instead people start by confiding in a co-worker, or co-workers, about the situation. More than likely whoever she talked to recommended that she go to HR, and said co-worker(s) spread the story from there.

Keeping in mind that it's completely possible that OP's friend may have been seen behaving like this before, so people are more willing to talk behind his back.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"oh yeah she's crazy!"

Right? Now not only does she feel uncomfortable around you two, she's probably been demonized by OP for going to HR adding to a culture that blindly accepts obvious harassment.

OP... I didn't know that the dudes in the anti-harassment workplace videos actually existed... but here you are in the flesh.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
It's unprofessional, but it's also not something he should get fired for.

Edit: and just to add on the obvious. It's just fine to check out somebody for a second or two, that's completely natural. However he did cross the line by just staring and calling you over. Anybody would feel some type of way about that.

Last edited:

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Right but what's not what I asked about. I'm asking if that poster believes attraction between two people is either yes or no rather than on a wide scale.
Repeat it after me, in caps, please: ATTRACTION BETWEEN TWO PEOPLE REQUIRES TWO PEOPLE TO BE ATTRACTED TO EACH OTHER. Not an idiot calling out his old friend that think it's completely fine to get furious that his friend got in trouble because the "complete 10" took it to HR.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Oct 26, 2017
What your friend did wasn't cool. She is a coworker, not someone at a club. I don't think it's worth firing someone over if it's a first offense, but I'm glad your company doesn't tolerate that.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
He made someone feel like an object at work

I don't give a fuck how hot a girl is you learn to control those looking skills in high school. Your friend fucked up.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Seriously. What does the scale even mean? She's either attractive to you or not. Lol

I for one find my neighbor down the street a solid 4.5967 but my pizza guy a cool 6.0385828485.

I love this post too by the way. Often wonder if "perfect 10" is in this context how guys like OP try to politely say "has hella rack" or whatever the more blatant douchebro terminology is these days. Like, this is the OP trying to explain why he and his friend were justified in their actions, and I assume it's the sanitized version of something a lot more gross and reductive

I'd guess that the woman told a few friends before she took it to HR.

"This dude in the mailroom was trying to get his friend to stare up my skirt. Pigs." - something like that.

Yeah, especially if she's new, I can see her talking to some of the other women in the office and being like "yo is this dude like this to y'all" because that's a main way a lot of ladies in the workplace get a read on which of the dudes in their workplace are creeps

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Jeez all we did was make someone feel unsafe and uncomfortable at work and they're making a big deal out of it"

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
How does one write "She's a complete 10. He motions to me to look at her." and not take a moment to reconsider the thread they're making?

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't sound like something your friend will lose his job over. Probably a warning and maybe some kind of training.

It's also possible your friend looked way creepier than you realize or she heard him talking about her looks before even meeting her which is off putting.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

I don't give a fuck how hot a girl is you learn to control those skills in high school. Your friend fucked up.
"But it's so hard tho, I demand the "complete 10" to be fine with me and my friends thinking she's a "complete 10" because that's what "complete 10" is and if she didn't want to be a "complete 10" she shouldn't wear her clothes like a "complete 10", it's all "complete 10"'s fault". Sexist dudes are pathetic.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
If your friend got caught actively encouraging someone else to come check out a hot co-worker that's a pretty clear no no by most company standards.

Also it sure doesn't look like you're in support of #MeToo

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
OP, your friend is an idiot, and your response should not have been "nice going dude, she saw you", it should've been "you shouldn't be doing this at work."

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
You work in a small office and your friend is too stupid to realize how bad shit like this can go?

People that treat work like its outside life are the worst. Enjoy your time, talk to your coworkers, even be friends and shit but it is still work and still subject to fucking rules and appropriate conduct.

Like jesus fuck why cant some people grasp this.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The office isn't a bar, OP. That lady's there to get paid and support herself. She shouldn't have to dodge a bunch of dudes gawking at her as she goes about trying to get paid and support herself.

Simplegamer

Oct 26, 2017
OP your friend definitely deserves a visit to HR. I'm Not necessarily saying he needs to be fired but he needs to understand that this type of behavior is not tolerated.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lmao, your buddy and yourself objectified
"a 10" she felt uncomfortable with you staring with lust in your eyes and rightly complained. I doubt your friend will he fired, but you two hopefully learnt two lessons, respect women and when you're at work act like it.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't answer that properly because I've never found anyone attractive :P I would assume yes though I am aware you can find someone attractive later on as you get to know them. But it's not like they are going from a 3 to 10, it's a yes or no question.

Speaking from the experience of someone who has found someone attractive a scale is an appropriate measure and I don't think it's objectifying to say so. What OP did here "she's a solid 10" his try to justify his behavior by observing how attractive she is. That's wrong.

I don't think it's wrong to be able to communicate how attracted you are to a person. To give you an obvious example I can find someone like Katherine Langford (star of 13 Reasons Why) an 7.5. She'sa attractive. Notably so. But I find someone like Zendaya closer to a 9.

That doesn't mean I'm objectifying them. I'm just communicating how attracted I am to that person.

I could just as easily say that one person is attractive and another is very attractive. But a number is just more communicative.

Tell me what you think hope to hear your thoughts.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
You gotta play it cool and act uninterested. Why the hell would you even motion it in front of her.

Oct 25, 2017
We work in a small office. This new girl walks in to get Coffee at the cafeteria. She's a complete 10. He motions to me to look at her. She catches him doing it.
Seemed uncomfortable and went about her business to get the coffee.
My friend got embarrassed and I muttered to him "nice going dude, she saw you"
This is all kinds of problematic so I want to point out a couple of things, not to be mean, but because perhaps you're not aware of them.

1. You, not your friend, are stating a girl is "a complete 10". Don't you think that turning a human being into something on a 1-10 rating scale of how physically appealing their body is...is a bit objectifying and gross? Imagine if you had left that part out, and just said that a new girl walked in, and your friend gestures to get you to look at her because she's physically attractive. Would that have significantly changed the story? Does being a 10 rather than a 9.5 or an 8 make it different somehow, for whatever those numbers mean?

2. Your response is "nice going dude, she saw you" -- are you suggesting the problem with what your friend did was that he got caught, rather than that he was trying to get someone to ogle someone else in an office environment? That's not good either.

3. The "rape" thing randomly put later in your post seems 110% out of line with the facts you gave. Someone pointing out an attractive person in a small work environment is creepy, it made someone uncomfortable, and HR addressed it. Who used the word rape?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing sexual harassment.
Innocent, natural behaviour. If he gets fired (or more than a mild warning) it's a joke.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
It's a place for work, she shouldn't have to deal with shit like that and was right going to HR with that.

If anything it sounds like your friend got a warning and he absolutely deserved it, it's unacceptable behavior.

Sure people check out each other all the time, but being super obvious about it and signaling to your mates creepy ass work behavior.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Speaking from the experience of someone who has found someone attractive a scale is an appropriate measure and I don't think it's objectifying to say so. What OP did here "she's a solid 10" his try to justify his behavior by observing how attractive she is. That's wrong.

I don't think it's wrong to be able to communicate how attracted you are to a person. To give you an obvious example I can find someone like Katherine Langford (star of 13 Reasons Why) an 7.5. She'sa attractive. Notably so. But I find someone like Zendaya closer to a 9.

That doesn't mean I'm objectifying them. I'm just communicating how attracted I am to that person.

I could just as easily say that one person is attractive and another is very attractive. But a number is just more communicative.

Tell me what you think hope to hear your thoughts.

I think people that think they can "grade review" other people like they are things are all 0s. And yes, it is objectifying.

tumblr_nqfkhmghv81qzco77o3_500.gif

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Yeah, I don't think looking at a coworker is gross, but doing it in a way that is noticeable and makes them uncomfortable is. Doing a nudge and point with your bro is pretty bad dude

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
this is another of those things you need to do better on, man
A woman should not be forced to endure leering perverts at work, this is not innocent behaviour, it's unprofessional and an adult man is expected to act like a fucking adult.

It's human nature to check out attractive members of the opposite, or even the same sex. It happens everywhere, every day. It just is what it is.

They didn't say anything lewd to her, didn't stalk her, just got caught doing something people have done many, many times over the years.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
She's a 10? The fact that you're objectifying that woman in the same breath as you are calling bullshit on the HR warning to your presumably even crasser friend tells me all I need to know.

It's 2018, stop sexually objectifying coworkers. Not that hard.

just got caught doing something people have done many, many times over the years.

Incredibly dumb argument.

Last edited:

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
I'm sure OP is being incredibly respectful and gracious when referring to that poor woman, when they tell their coworkers about how their friend is getting unfairly punished for just glancing at that 10's booty.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017

I don't give a fuck how hot a girl is you learn to control those looking skills in high school. Your friend fucked up.
He also made sure to let us know to treat her like an object as well by giving us a rating, because clearly if she wasn't a 10 as he said, it would've been an even greater injustice his friend got reprimanded.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's human nature to check out attractive members of the opposite, or even the same sex. It happens everywhere, every day. It just is what it is.

They didn't say anything lewd to her, didn't stalk her, just got caught doing something people have done many, many times over the years.

Men should be able to control themselves long enough to not make a woman feel uncomfortable at work just because they think she's attractive. This isn't about "human nature", we are animals that have evolved to not do stupid shit.

If you as a man cannot control yourself, you should not be working with other, civilized humans.

This is the EXACT kind of attitude that cast a pall over all of society and necessitated a wave of #MeToo admissions and accusations.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Almost like... it is something that shouldn't have been done many many times because it leaves people uncomfortable by unwanted leers by their shitty creepy coworkers