• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just some musings on the end of season 2.

Everything we've seen so far demonstrates that every single action one takes to prevent a future occurrence is part of the loop to bring that future to fruition. Therefore, the future is already determined and there is no way to avert it.

So what does the existence of alt-martha imply? The most obvious possibility is alternate timelines. In one timeline, the future we know comes to pass. In another parallel timeline, alt-martha's intervention has created a different future that is still immutable but also different.

Alt-martha says she's from a different world. However, she appears to be the same age as her current(dead) self and uses technology that is far more advanced than the machines created by Tannhaus. This implies that her reality diverged from the main reality at a point earlier than 2019 - maybe in the mid to early 1900s?

Claudia, I believe, also says something to Jonas like "I've seen futures where you don't exist and it's not a good thing."

Further, the show has given us evidence that parallel timelines are already in play: look at this picture of the calendars.
OFd7D6q.png

(taken from u/eunone on reddit)

As you can see, in 2053 Hannah never marks June 21, 2020. This means that the 2053 timeline is different than the timeline the show ends on - and more evidence that parallel realities exist.

So in closing, I think we've seen at least three parallel realities.

1. The 2053 future where Hannah never marks out June 21st.
2. June 27, 2020 when Hannah has marked June 21st.
3. alt-Martha's reality, where she has access to advanced technology.

One more thing to note - I think in timeline #2, alt-martha has to appear and save Jonas. If she doesn't he dies to the apocalypse and Adam never exists. I think this means that although alt-martha is from a parallel reality, she always visits reality #2 to save Jonas. And maybe Jonas never needs saving in reality #1.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
darkj8j4e.png

Shame that nobody really watches it.
Honestly, I don't think the end of June is a good time to release a new season of this show. I'm looking forward to the second season, but it's been so damn hot the last couple of days that I can't bring myself to watch a show that demands my full attention.

It's a shame it's not really getting attention from critics either, considering the first season seems to have gotten quite a bit of attention over time. I don't know if foreign shows usually receive much coverage by US critics though...

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I can't wrap my head around is

ending spoilers

how the daughter is the mother of herself

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched Ep. 3. I'm trying to keep track of this by basically splitting everything into two categories: events that are part of the time loop and events/characters that are at the front of what I presume is still a time loop.

This is really interesting in how it's really a regular time traveling show shot in an interesting way, but also a small-town mystery show.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
a few things for the next Season

-Martha of the other universe, will probably be from the one where Jonas is Dead (Claudia mentioned this). In this Universe i would think Martha playes a similar role to Jonas in ours. But there she is unable to keep him alive (like he is with her in ours). In that Universe Martha ends up as Eve (Eva in german).
3 is the magic number in this, 33 years, 3 cycles, 3 timelines etc. So it will probably also eventually have 3 universes. Adam and Eve have to start the last one together. (At the End of the next season....)

-However, there is also still the possibility that Adam isn't actually Jonas. Because of what happened to his face there is still the possibility that someone is tricking Jonas.....I don't think so, but it is not impossible.

-still really wondering who the girl in 2053 is. i thought she was going to be the daughter of Jonas and Martha, but that isn't possible anymore. At least not with Martha of this universe....

-really interested where everyone is at the beginning of the 3rd Cycle. Old Jonas and the Gang, Katherina, Jonas and Martha2, The fuck does Hannah do in 1953?
Most of them will end up being somehow releated to themselve when everything is said and done.

-What happened with Charlotte and Elizabeth. The last time something like this happened one of them switched places (Helge) and the other ended up somewhere completely differtent (Jonas). I hope they both ended up somewhere different this time, otherwise it would mean old Elizabeth would die:(

-There has to be more with Noah, at the end he was mostly a pawn this season, which made it bit weird that they killed him. There has to be a bit more.

-And most important of all we need waaaay more scenes with Agnes and Doris! Love everytime we see them together.

Last edited:

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Has season 3 started filming already? Because if so I think we'll get it within a year instead of having to wait 18 months again.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished.

I was worried they'd push the post-apoc stuff, but was glad to see everyone returned, and they rather iterated on the S1 timelines.

I didn't even realize (or probably just forgot since S01) until her mom pointed it out, that Martha was Jonas's aunt, and it's really weird how they handled the incest thing, with hanged Jonas wingmaning himself at the lake, then the two of them rolling with it in the last ep. Contrary to that, future Jonas seemed to be accepting that this shouldn't be a thing.

I saw someone mentioned looping Elisabeth and Charlotte. I had to rewind twice, as I wasn't sure it was mis-translated, but the German line was pretty much the same, so yeah, that is weird.

I was squealing when punished Martha showed up, I like the gradual complications coming with each season as we went from 3 timelines to 5 to alternate universes.

Oh , and what's up with everyone having dirty-ass nails in the 2019 timeline? :D
Was wondering bout that too. Why do they all have dirty hands and nails?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Has season 3 started filming already? Because if so I think we'll get it within a year instead of having to wait 18 months again.

Yeah they started filming last week according to Barin Bo Odar's instagram. So hopefully we'll get S3 around the same time next year if not potentially sooner.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Just finished the second season.

Phew. That was a ride.

I'm not sure that Old Jonas (Adam) actually is Jonas. It feels like there's something more there. Espacially as they're hiding his face when all the other characters are spot on in their different ages. I wouldn't be suprised if it turns out to be Bartosz, who Adam actually reminds me the most of.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just finished the second season.

Phew. That was a ride.

I'm not sure that Old Jonas (Adam) actually is Jonas. It feels like there's something more there. Espacially as they're hiding his face when all the other characters are spot on in their different ages. I wouldn't be suprised if it turns out to be Bartosz, who Adam actually reminds me the most of.
I am 99% sure that Bartosz is Noah. Especially since Bartosz and yougn Noah look basically the same. And since Adam kills Noah he can't really be Bartosz - unless Adam is younger than Noah, which I doubt.

Namko

Oct 27, 2017
I am 99% sure that Bartosz is Noah. Especially since Bartosz and yougn Noah look basically the same. And since Adam kills Noah he can't really be Bartosz - unless Adam is younger than Noah, which I doubt.
I think that Bartosz is the one who got killed by young Noah before he met his older version. Which explains why we haven't seen any older version of Bartosz yet. I'm prolly wrong, hehe

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have two episodes left but so disappointed with the second series. Everything I loved about the original is missing; the sound direction, the cinematography, the framing, the lighting, the editing, overall direction. It's all just so basic now and boring, it feels like it's been Disneyfied.

The story is alright but it's pretty basic time travel stuff and the same old framings. Entertaining enough but watched and read similar many times before. Without everything else it's just a standard show with good actors.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Probably asked a million times already (sorry), but can anyone point me to a good recap of the first season? I want to watch S2 but I barely remember anything about S1.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

Why would Bartosz be Noah? They already show adult Noah grooming his younger self. Besides, young Noah and Bartosz are probably of similar age. Older Bartosz is most likely the guy who is struck by the pickaxe in the first few minutes of the first episode.

The only thing I can't wrap my head around is

ending spoilers

how the daughter is the mother of herself

You see young Noah stepping into the bunker where Elizabeth is. They probably developed a relationship and became a couple, giving birth to Charlotte (who yet had a name). As Noah said she was born premature, Noah probably went back in time and dropped the baby with HG Tannhaus, who becomes her adoptive grandfather. She and Peter give birth to Elizabeth and the cycle goes around again, like the bootstrap paradox they talk about.

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Bartosz be Noah? They already show adult Noah grooming his younger self. Besides, young Noah and Bartosz are probably of similar age. Older Bartosz is most likely the guy who is struck by the pickaxe in the first few minutes of the first episode.

You see young Noah stepping into the bunker where Elizabeth is. They probably developed a relationship and became a couple, giving birth to Charlotte (who yet had a name). As Noah said she was born premature, Noah probably went back in time and dropped the baby with HG Tannhaus, who becomes her adoptive grandfather. She and Peter give birth to Elizabeth and the cycle goes around again, like the bootstrap paradox they talk about.
Thanks that clears it up

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Watched Season 1 for the first time last weekend. Much better than expected (most German TV series are really bad. Exemptions are "Babylon Berlin" and "Weissensee").

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Why doesn't the second season have Atmos anymore? The sound was incredible in the first, hope they didn't drop the ball in season 2.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The scenes where
Jonas talks to his dad to try and convince him not to commit suicide were fantastic. The realization that Jonas trying to get him not to kill himself is what ultimately causes Mikkel to do it. I felt really bad for Mikkel.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. I like that this show isn't scared of just jumping into all the time travel tropes. It seems to be a very self-aware time-travel show that tosses in a Twin Peaks-style small-town mystery.

I probably should have seen all that try-to-prevent-an-event-only-to-cause-it-yourself thing coming. Three things stick out to me:

1. As far as I understand, almost no one knows Charlotte is her own grandmother. I don't even think Jonas/Adam knows. Claudia might be the only one who knows before Noah.
  2. So far, the mystery surrounding Aleksander/Boris hasn't been connected to anything else in the entire show.
  3. We have no idea if alternate Martha showing up is part of the loop or not.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Skipped past all these posts coz I'm about half way through first episode. The cinematography I love but it has always been so difficult for me to enjoy voice overs. I'd say they're ok so far - not bad and not amazing.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
It was acted well and looked gorgeous but overall I thought this season was quite a bit weaker than the first. The slow burn and emphasis on chamber room drama and character study was a big strength in the first one. In this season...

there was entirely too many winking "look at this cool machine brehs it totally time travels" exchanges between characters, people consistently giving villain level over explanations for everything, it felt like some ridiculous chain email where we need to see almost every character getting the 411 on time travel so everybody is up to speed. Also cue a lot of unnecessary teen angst fueled scenes of the younger characters being so very irritated that the adults didn't tell them about time travel.

I also feel like the over emphasis on the season ending with the "apocalypse" and having the "x day until..." at the beginning of each episode was completely anti climatic considering the time thing ended up not meaning much since now we've got Sliders Martha sliding in at the nick of time to give young Jonas the Doc Brown "but wait! you haven't seen nothin yet!" I get it people like their twists in shows but this felt shoehorned in and wasn't particularly relevant to the general season themes given the emphasis on Adam and his group's plans. Like seriously you gonna end this shit on a cg shockwave breaking some windows in a house when you've teased this event the entire way through. Just ugh...also Noah's arc went to a completely unsatisfying conclusion given the importance of his character in the first season plus all the screen time he was given in this one. This go around it felt like his main role was to menacingly peel apples while glowering at people and babbling on about how bad Claudia/Adam is and must be stopped.

Hey at least they're supposedly shooting season 3 soon in time for a next year release so that's some silver lining. A lot better than the limbo OA's S3 is in currently, that shit is gonna take forever to come out if it ever gets greenlit :/

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
What I gather here is that the whole purpose of the show is to pay homage to classic time travel tropes. It feels like it's intentionally hitting each of them note-for-note.

Maybe it just wants to be a German spin on all of them with some European mystery thrown in for good measure. That's the angle from which I've been enjoying the show.

Sorry, another one:

I was also a little confused how the majority of the season was Claudia Begins type backstory, but Jonas over the course of eight episodes (and still as Young Jonas) instantly becomes accepting of his task and understands it all. It's Stranger/Middle Jonas that becomes less and less confident as things move on. I need to re-watch and work out exactly what's different for Young Jonas this time around, ie Martha's doppelganger appearing at the end. That must not have happened during any previous cycle.

Jonas mentions it real quick in the last episode, but after failing to prevent his dad's suicide he and old Claudia warped back to 1986 and Jonas stayed there for a year -- until the day of Egon's death in 1987. He had to do this to get back in sync with everybody else. That 12-month time gap is where he really starts to turn into Middle Jonas.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Finished it right now. I feel that one last twist might be a little too much.
Loved the show until that happened cause it kinda made me not feel hype about a 3rd season somehow.

Anyway, i love this show.
The casting, cinematography, etc...everything is perfect!

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I fucking love this show so much. The finale was a wild ride and with season 3 a little over a year away I can not be happier. Gonna start watching season 1 / 2 in a year so I can enjoy season 3 to the fullest.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
"That's why Jonas came back from the future "
Wöller................................
😆

That final twist.

Fuck it let's go. Strap me up for season 3

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This show is definitely one of my all time favourites now. Everything is just... *chef's kiss* like holy shit is every scene so satisfying. It's so good I didn't even mind having to rewatch season one because I forgot a lot of the character relationships and what they looked like in different years.

However I really didn't like how they broke the 33 year rule by having Jonas travel back to 2019. That one rule is what made this one of the best time travel stories ever. I hope it's only a one time thing because I can live with that. Season 3 (which is the final season thank god) better just stick to alternate timelines because that on top of going to specific times within those 33 years would be too much.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get more Agnes next season

The biggest mystery of this show is still what happened to Wöller's eye, we were so close to finding out lmao.
I bet the writers had a good reveal on the eye next season.

A Wöller with perfect eye on alternate Widen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that

they addressed the concept of family photos in this season. At one point I even thought 'okay we get it, there's photos to signify important characters, where were all of these when Hannah and Katarina were growing up with their respective spouses'???

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
How is it that this show looks so much better than basically every other show? The cinematography is absolutely bananas in this shit.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I have two episodes left but so disappointed with the second series. Everything I loved about the original is missing; the sound direction, the cinematography, the framing, the lighting, the editing, overall direction. It's all just so basic now and boring, it feels like it's been Disneyfied.

The story is alright but it's pretty basic time travel stuff and the same old framings. Entertaining enough but watched and read similar many times before. Without everything else it's just a standard show with good actors.

That sounds awful. I absolutely loved those aspects you mentioned there and it's what truly made the series a standout for me. I haven't started season 2 yet so I'll see how I feel about it but that sounds not-so-great.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Amazing season. Dark is legit one of my favorite shows on netflix (or any service).

But.....

fuck that cliffhanger ending! I need Season 3 now