• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is one major plot twist that its just stupid though.
Elizabeth being both Charlotte's daughter AND mother. It doesn't really add anything to the story.

Also disappointed with Noah in this season.

B3N1

Oct 27, 2017
Totally forgot this came out yesterday.

2 episodes in, it's everything I wanted it to be.

I wanted to drip-feed it (at least until the end of the weekend), but seeing here now that it's only 8 eps, I think I know what I'll do for the rest of the day.

hEist

Oct 26, 2017
finished it this morning.

KXzud2b.gif

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the first episode of season 2. The sound design, cinematography and editing are outstanding. Maybe even better than season 1.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They definitely upped their cinematography game big time this season, and s1 was already incredibly well shot. I'm two eps in and pretty much every single shot in the future timeline is like a straight up painting. This show has no right being as good as it is haha.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
darkj8j4e.png

Shame that nobody really watches it.
I watched the whole S1 and don't feel like watching S2. S1 was so convoluted with so many different families and people interconnected, and add time travel to the mix. I don't remember anything. I don't want to go through the trouble of re-understanding everything and everyone for S2.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I really liked this, lived up to season 1 for me. Congrats on the Emmy for Best Incest Subplot (Sub-Category Aunt-Nephew)
D4Cb74l.gif

Something I really enjoyed was how they went back and fleshed out the minor characters from last season. I went in assuming Martha was going to be all but phased out once Jonas went time traveling, but she's a focal point of the whole thing. Old Jonas became more of a character. Elisabeth got a meaningful, albeit not huge, story segment. They brought back old Mikkel. Katharina might not have had a purpose, but she had purpose throughout, and it was compelling enough to keep her in play for next season without having it feel like she was spinning her wheels. Even that Woller dude got some elbow room. It really solidifies the whole card tower of events when characters you thought were minor get fleshed out in important ways. Contrast this to something like Stranger Things season 2 where they bloated the cast and left everyone feeling undercooked.

About the only thing I didn't like was Ulrich's failure to gain any perspective over his three decades of imprisonment, and even that's only half "meh" and half me just being disappointed.

I'm still not sold on Jonas being Adam. Old Jonas must've known that he was creating Sic Mundus when he saved Magnus, Franziska, and Bartosz. And yeah, that makes it make sense that he would be so much older and decrepit compared to them as Adam, and he does refer to Bartosz in the third-person, but we never see Bartosz in the future. We don't see Jonas or Claudia experience any detrimental effects comparable to what happens to Adam as a result of traveling - and Claudia traveled a hell of a lot, a year passed between her and Jonas leaving Old Mikkel and Jonas returning to middle-aged Claudia. What we do see is that Bartosz's family has a history of lethal, aggressive cancer. There's some funky wiggle room shenanigans in there between Jonas leaving her in the bunker when he knew she was going to die and him saving the trio with the machine. So, I'm still leaning towards that malevolent little shit Draco Malfoy wannabe as Adam.

The ending wasn't bad, but I'm a little flat on it. For a show that so arduously, meticulously works to weave everything together in a structurally sound way, I was hoping for another, grander twist in the weave. Instead, we get a parallel/mirror reality tearing through it like a bullet. Which is fine, it's always been alluded to with the opening, and it does work. You can't break the loop as part of the loop, so alternate realities/timelines are the only way you can actually justify a time-altering Terminator-style storyline. I'd just rather have seen them add another dimension to the master plan of the show, rather than bring in an element that gets to wipe its ass with the master plan. It wasn't cheap, it's just a little... mundane. Straightforward.

Maybe a little cheap, considering how intricately woven the rest of the story is.

Last edited:

Lyon

Jun 5, 2019
I'm on episode 4 and feel like I need a viewing guide. I can't keep up with all these characters and the recap of season 1 didn't help me much.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Well this show is fun. just finished season 2 wooh that was a wild ride. puts to shame most shows in 2019.

B3N1

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished.

I was worried they'd push the post-apoc stuff, but was glad to see everyone returned, and they rather iterated on the S1 timelines.

I didn't even realize (or probably just forgot since S01) until her mom pointed it out, that Martha was Jonas's aunt, and it's really weird how they handled the incest thing, with hanged Jonas wingmaning himself at the lake, then the two of them rolling with it in the last ep. Contrary to that, future Jonas seemed to be accepting that this shouldn't be a thing.

I saw someone mentioned looping Elisabeth and Charlotte. I had to rewind twice, as I wasn't sure it was mis-translated, but the German line was pretty much the same, so yeah, that is weird.

I was squealing when punished Martha showed up, I like the gradual complications coming with each season as we went from 3 timelines to 5 to alternate universes.

Oh , and what's up with everyone having dirty-ass nails in the 2019 timeline? :D

Oct 25, 2017
So, I loved it.

Quick question

Is Old Ulrich just the same actor as 2019 Ulrich with lots of make-up?

The credits always ran too small and ended too abruptly before the next episode and I wasn't brave enough to google during my watch.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Catching up
Marathon-ing season 1

This show's slow burn is good.
Damn Ulrich went there huh

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Ummm, what happened to this show? I'm only on episode five of season two and a religious like order and there goal seems like a rip off of the last seasons of 12 monkeys. Am I the only one seeing this? If I see a red forest I'm done lol.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting how they teased the future in S1's ending,
and then we ended up not really spending much time there at all in S2. Which is totally fine with me but it's just funny because I remember people not liking that ending because of the implication that S2 might be a totally different kind of show and mostly set in the future. Thankfully it stuck with the same formula of hopping between different time periods.

With S3 though, I wonder how they'll play it with other world(s) being in play now and the 2019 Winden being destroyed. Really intrigued to see what they do next. Hopefully middle aged Noah shows up again somehow too because that actor is great. I was pretty bummed when he died.

Also the casting on this show continues to be top notch. I don't know how they manage to find actors who look exactly like their past/future counterparts but it's super impressive.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
It's interesting how they teased the future in S1's ending,
and then we ended up not really spending much time there at all in S2. Which is totally fine with me but it's just funny because I remember people not liking that ending because of the implication that S2 might be a totally different kind of show and mostly set in the future. Thankfully it stuck with the same formula of hopping between different time periods.

With S3 though, I wonder how they'll play it with other world(s) being in play now and the 2019 Winden being destroyed. Really intrigued to see what they do next. Hopefully middle aged Noah shows up again somehow too because that actor is great. I was pretty bummed when he died.

Also the casting on this show continues to be top notch. I don't know how they manage to find actors who look exactly like their past/future counterparts but it's super impressive.
Yeah when older Magnus showed up I could immediately tell it was him,

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question for those of you who have finished season 2.

I rewatched the last episode of season 1 after binging on season 2.

In the last sequence, Noah says that although the older Jonas thinks he is trying to close the timeloop, he us actually creating it. Hence we then get the crazy sequence with all the lights flashing and the black ball enveloping the nuclear facility which Aleksander and Regina see from afar.

1. What is the significance of Noah saying this and what was the elder Jonas trying to do?

2. If Aleksander and Regina saw the black orb why didn't they tell anyone? Is this why Aleksander puts the nuclear waste in concrete?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Helge - in all his timelines - was drastically minimised this season and Noah was sorta elevated. I didn't like how he instantly got back to 1953 after the season 1 cliffhanger.

This show not only has the Walt Problem where the child actors are subject to giant growth spurts but a few of its cast members are also probably going too be too old and frail to make repeat perfomances.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, another one:

I was also a little confused how the majority of the season was Claudia Begins type backstory, but Jonas over the course of eight episodes (and still as Young Jonas) instantly becomes accepting of his task and understands it all. It's Stranger/Middle Jonas that becomes less and less confident as things move on. I need to re-watch and work out exactly what's different for Young Jonas this time around, ie Martha's doppelganger appearing at the end. That must not have happened during any previous cycle.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
For a while I thought they changed the actors for Mikkel's brother and his girlfriend.

2 eps in, my two gripes are that some of the mysticism of first series is lost now, perhaps an inevitable occurance but also that it's not very "dark" so far. Where is my rain ? Where are my creepy nights ?

lol Ulrich

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Mikkel and Alexsander younger and older actors have close similarities.

This is giving me Lost vibe with all the characters

Last edited:

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
They've already canceled it. Was announced a few weeks ago season 3 will be its last.

The show is meant to be a trilogy, saying they already "cancelled" it is such a weird spin into the negative. Especially since it's a sign of trust that it got renewed before season 2 started airing in the first place.