• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
Code Vein. That game slaps. Awesome combat, pretty good and varied level design, good bosses. Just skip the story and you got a very competent Souls clone. It sure as hell is better than the German sci-fi Soulslike I once tried.
True. I heavily disliked some character designs but it is a very competent souls-like. Aside from the Cathedral area I'd also say that most areas were fun to explore.

Jak 2 & Jak 3.

Come at me!
Same. Jak 3 might be my personal favorite out of the 3.

Final Fantasy XV

I do hate how crucial plot points and character arcs are cut off into post game DLC scenarios, but other than that I think it's a solid 8.5/10 game. Oh and Luna being a nothing character.
Same, the underlying story is really good but it isn't told well at all. But the gameplay is amazing and it has some of the best dungeons in FF history.

Tales of Zestiria, it's basically the only Tales game I've played to completion because of the story and characters (I finished Graces too but that was probably more down to the gameplay being fun). Without prior knowledge of the behind-the-scenes drama I didn't even notice the Alisha/Rose switcheroo that still riles folks up.
Yep really enjoyed that game as well. Had some stupid game mechanics (I remember sprinting being tied to some annoying mechanic) but otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also liked Besaria but I remember being bored at times.

Personal one? Twilight Princess. I barely hear anything positive about this game but I love it. The pacing could be better at times and the dungeon objectives aren't that varied but the world is so well-realized and it has the best dungeon design. I'd like another Zelda in a bleaker, more realistic style.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
People really need to stop viewing ERA, or any internet forum for that matter, as a hivemind or a monolith entity. It just holds discussion back.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Alpha Protocol
CP77
BioShock 2
Call of Juarez Bound in Blood & Gunslinger
The Darkness II
Metro 2033
Silent Hill Homecoming
Split/Second
Thronebreaker. The Witcher Tales
XIII

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FFXV for sure. I had a really great time with that game, regardless of the general opinion on it.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I love that game so much. Everything from the combat, the world, the music, and characters (still my favorite cast of Nintendo characters) was just great. Performance wasn't the best no doubt. Wish they could've gotten it running like Yorna and XC1 Definitive, but it wasn't enough to take me out of the experience. It was getting a lot of flack for characters designs and for being "too anime" but I didn't have a problem with either. I actually liked how anime it was at times.

Came to post these two specifically--absolutely don't regret the time spent on XBC2, and BotW is currently my favorite Zelda title.

I guess I could add Fatal Frame 5. Was shocked to see it's considered the worst in the franchise--really hoping the re-release will help boost sales.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would assume Era is lukewarm on Star Wars Superemcy/Rebellion (those who have even played it) - most reviewers were back in the day. And it's understandable because ship combat was a mess (so I always used the auto resolve option). But the diplomacy/resource management side is super fun.

7qjnLxC.jpg

Palps bitching at me that it was my fault his diplomacy mission failed was always hilarious

Man, I loved that game. I actually liked the space battles 😄 iirc it was pretty stacked in the rebels favour; they had way more/better hero characters.

Red Dead Redemption 2.

One of the best games I have ever played.

Yeah, huge fan. I was surprised how much better it was than the first, something I never dreamed would be possible.

hoagiecity

Oct 23, 2018
Jak 2 for sure. It still baffles me how people can hate that so much, yet be fine with Jak 3, which effectively triples down on everything that made them hate Jak 2 lol.
Sonic 2 Master System is another one. Easily a top 5 Sonic game, and it has an incredible soundtrack, but people don't like it because they played the crappy version. It's like me saying Sonic 1 is bad because I played it on a GBA instead of Mega Drive.

Not a great comparison, Sonic 2 MS wasn't officially available in the US til 2008 when it was put on the Wii VC, meaning most of us played the GG version. There's only one way to play Sonic 1 GBA and fifty thousand ways to play Mega Drive Sonic 1. But I agree, it is a good game.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Oh man.

Resident Evil 5. Resident Evil 6. Metroid Other M. Bioshock Infinite. Every single Borderlands game that doesn't also have the word "Tales" in the title. The classic Tomb Raiders. Hell, the modern Tomb Raiders. Halo 4.

Probably a lot more. I see people frequently dog NES era games as unplayable garbage, but I still rock them like they wish they could.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
Borderlands 3.

I enjoyed 1 and 2 but, not to sound like the fun police here, 2's particular brand of edgy, juvenile humour never worked for me for some reason, even as an edgy juvenile teen playing through it.

The same could be said about 3 for sure but, for whatever reason, it really worked for me with 3.

Also, as much as I do not condone or appreciate what happened with the original VO, I enjoy Claptrap's new VO way more.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Halo 5 MP. People generally shit on the game (and for good reason), but as a result, they seem to also overlook the MP, or they only go by how it was at launch. IMO, it's absolutely the best MP in the series. The Halo Infinite MP looks great, too, but it looks like it'll be about as fun as the Halo 5 MP (as opposed to being better).

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i would have thought Xenoblade 2 would have more mentions considering how every thread about it turns into a XC2 hate thread (even threads that have nothing to do with it fall into this)

Samus Returns is my pick though since that game seems to be disliked by a lot of people everywhere, this forum included. i had as much fun with it as with AM2R for different reasons (oh and AM2R wasn't perfect. it also had some spots i thought weren't that good).

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
People really listing a bunch of games that came top 5 in GOTY ranking on Era the year they came out.

Might as well say this place dislikes every game.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Not a great comparison, Sonic 2 MS wasn't officially available in the US til 2008 when it was put on the Wii VC, meaning most of us played the GG version. There's only one way to play Sonic 1 GBA and fifty thousand ways to play Mega Drive Sonic 1. But I agree, it is a good game.
Oh, I had no idea lol.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I loved that game. I actually liked the space battles 😄 iirc it was pretty stacked in the rebels favour; they had way more/better hero characters.

I almost always played as the empire lol. They had way cooler ships, plus I was big into the SWEU back then and their side had the tie defenders, dark troopers and thrawn!

One thing that really annoyed me - normally I never built a death star as they're such a waste of resources, but one time I thought I'd build one and see if there was a special ending by destroying the rebel base with it. But the base survived the destruction of the planet! So lame, rebels obv had nothing to worry about in A New Hope, they would apparently have survived Yavin IV blowing up...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
People really listing a bunch of games that came top 5 in GOTY ranking on Era the year they came out.

Might as well say this place dislikes every game.
These threads are usually really silly, lol. Some people just don't like to read a negative opinion of their favourite games, I guess.

That's because Era on average actually really likes Xenoblade 2, despite what some would have you believe.
And... this is true for many of the games ITT.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Watch Dogs Legion. Most people here dislike it because of the play as anyone system, but it's one of the games I enjoyed the most this year.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII for sure.
I'd say Final Fantasy XI is a valid response as well due to the general hate MMO entries tend to get and it's way less approachable than XIV so it doesn't get the benefit of being totally solo friendly, which it totally is these days. It still has way less hand-holding because it doesn't give you giant neon signs that point you towards your destination during every step of the journey.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Star Fox Zero is the best star fox game, by far. It's my favorite Wii U game as well. Also possibly one of the best Platinum games that isn't a character action game.

Edit: also the controls were great. half the reason I love that game is because of it's control scheme.

Last edited:

ImboSlice

Nov 30, 2017
Also Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Definitely understand the critique surrounding that game, but every time I thin about it, it also kind of baffles me how so many people ignore the (and here we go with my subjective view) downright fantastic characters, the writing, the strong set pieces and world design, the cool crafting system, the rewarding combat and exploration, while exclusively zooming in on the dozen or so fetch quests there were.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6 and Resident Evil 3 remake are all incredible games and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
We're only as loud as the people who consistently have to voice how much they liked it while ignoring all the legitimate issues people have with it.
The negativity is very often just needlessly loud. A person expressing the fact they like the game doesn't need to even acknowledge your subjective issues. You're not entitled to that every time someone says they like it, lol.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Crackdown 3. It was more crackdown, and exactly what I wanted, as a fan.

The vitriol that this game received on Era was unwarranted, in my opinion. But it was fun to pile on Microsoft at the time.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The negativity is very often just needlessly loud. A person expressing the fact they like the game doesn't need to even acknowledge your subjective issues. You're not entitled to that every time someone says they like it, lol.

Lol no it's not, it was a very disappointing remake. You literally can't say that without someone just ignoring it and going "am I the only one who really liked it?!". It's annoying as fuck and just as annoying as someone relentlessly shitting on it.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Crackdown 3 and Bioshock Infinite also.

(Actually quite enjoyed Halo 4 multilayer at the time aswell)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It was a very disappointing remake. You literally can't say that without someone just ignoring it and going "am I the only one who really liked it?!". It's annoying as fuck and just as annoying as someone relentlessly shitting on it.
It's the other way around far more than not imo, case in point you started this conversation with me. Let it go, plenty of us love it and don't agree with you. That's fine.

Oct 26, 2017
The better question for me would be 'A game you dislike that ERA loves'.
This question gets answered every tome there's an "what's a game with X negative trait" thread.
You'll have all the heavy hitters withing the first page, Zeldas, Naughty Dog games, Halo, etc.

For this thread, I'll say Deus Ex: Mankind Devided. I think opinion on it has softened over time but back then there was a lot pf negativity towards it.