• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
  • Baba Is You
  • The Outer Wilds
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence
  • Amid Evil
  • Katana Zero

Enjoyed these every bit as much as Sekiro, RE2, Gears 5 etc.

Baba is You in particular is ridiculously good and if you have a PC or Switch, you owe it to yourself to get this game.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Ion Fury on Steam

3D Realms, creators of Duke Nukem 3D, Prey, and Max Payne, are excited to team up with Voidpoint to bring back the legendary Build Engine, famously known for classic first-person shooters like Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Blood. Ion Fury is the real deal!

store.steampowered.com

Eastshade on Steam

You are a traveling painter, exploring the island of Eastshade. Capture the world on canvas using your artist’s easel. Talk to the inhabitants to learn about their lives. Make friends and help those in need. Visit cities, scale summits, unearth mysteries, and discover forgotten places!

store.steampowered.com

Save 70% on Overcrowd: A Commute 'Em Up on Steam

Design and build the most efficient metro stations known to man! Excavate. Expand. Set staff priorities. And manage the commuter flow. Overcrowd is a 2.5D management/tycoon/simulator set below the bustling city of Lubdon Town.

Here's a few titles that are in contention for my personal GOTY.

Don't expect any of them to be recognized on a wider scale though.

Oct 30, 2017
control is easily my GOTY so far, pending anything drastically terrible happening after like 20 hours

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
store.steampowered.com

Ion Fury on Steam

3D Realms, creators of Duke Nukem 3D, Prey, and Max Payne, are excited to team up with Voidpoint to bring back the legendary Build Engine, famously known for classic first-person shooters like Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Blood. Ion Fury is the real deal!

store.steampowered.com

Eastshade on Steam

You are a traveling painter, exploring the island of Eastshade. Capture the world on canvas using your artist’s easel. Talk to the inhabitants to learn about their lives. Make friends and help those in need. Visit cities, scale summits, unearth mysteries, and discover forgotten places!

store.steampowered.com

Save 70% on Overcrowd: A Commute 'Em Up on Steam

Design and build the most efficient metro stations known to man! Excavate. Expand. Set staff priorities. And manage the commuter flow. Overcrowd is a 2.5D management/tycoon/simulator set below the bustling city of Lubdon Town.

Here's a few titles that are in contention for my personal GOTY.

Don't expect any of them to be recognized on a wider scale though.
Wow, Eastshade looks really beautiful. I'll check that one out.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It didn't technically start this year, but my vote goes to The Walking Dead the final season.

I purchased two 2019 games (days gone, a plague tale) but haven't started them yet.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Control is this year's Prey.
There'll be one or two people at each major outlet that will be champions for it, but ultimately, it will be lucky to walk away from this year with any awards at all.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Eastshade looks really beautiful. I'll check that one out.

Yeah, the thing that blew me away was that it really is a non-violent questing game, like Skyrim without combat.

I went in thinking it'd be a chill walking sim where you paint lovely landscapes for NPCs. And while it is that, there's so much more. Collecting and crafting systems. NPC quests that flesh out the personalities. World lore from books, etc.

It's way deeper than I imagined.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Be interesting to see if you stick with that pick in your GOTY Era votes. I plan to give it a go once I finish up with Sekiro and DMC5.

i'm not sure what would be interesting or surprising about me sticking to it. though i'm a xbox only gamer and perhaps have less to look forward to for 2019 (or to have played earlier in the year) that may change my mind

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
FE Three Houses is a great game, reviewed well, and has a great following and all, but if you're talking about the GOTY award context, then it stands basically no chance because Western outlets do not touch games like that outside of their one "weird anime games!" person.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Control seems to have come out with relatively little fanfare despite being an amazing game so I hope it makes some GOTY lists.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Slay the Spire, for sure. It's weird for me because I started playing it during early access in 2018 where I spent the majority of the 400+ hours I have in the game. But it released early 2019 and then got console ports in the summer, so I need to keep in mind that it's a 2019 game.

I was gonna post pretty much the same thing. Slay the Spire is such an incredible game, but the OT isn't as active as I'd wish it would be.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Still need to finish both Control and Shadowbringers.

Both are quite good, but ShB is maybe a bit overrated so far and feels not too dissimilar from prior expansions instead of the leap I expected given hype. Certainly improved over the last expansion in many ways, and I may feel differently by its end, but halfway through and its good, but not OMG gud.
Control feels like a proper return of Remedy after QB left me cold.

Really need to play FE, Plague Tale, and several others too.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Nothing feels like GOTY to me yet. Probably no GOTY for me this year unless Touryst turns out amazing

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
There's no obvious GOTY frontrunners this year so it's hard to say.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see many outlets giving GOTY to action games or remakes, there's been no major breakthrough indies and there's been no GOW/BOTW level exclusives from Sony/Nintendo. I feel like Sekiro will win by default with only Death Stranding being a potential wildcard.

More on topic....Goose Game.

There's a strange pseudo snobbery towards comedy games and some positive reviews had weird apologetic undertones to me, for enjoying this thing that isn't a "real game".

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I'd say Sekiro, Devil May Cry V, and Smash Ultimate since I think that one came out too late to make it into the 2018 GotY discussion.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Control (currently my GOTY) and Apex Legends. The latter because a F2P Battle Royale is easy to think doesn't deserve any GOTY recognition in lists, despite the fact it is far and away the best controlling and playing FPS of 2019 until Doom Eternal comes out. Wonder if Doom Eternal will get overlooked as well.

Last edited:

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
There are games I haven't gotten to yet like GreedFall, A Plague Tale, The Occupation. Outer Wilds, Control, Untitled Goose Game...but so far there hasn't really been a standout to me.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Answers are all over the place. Even RE2 isn't safe from uncertainty doom going by this thread.

What are the likely GotY candidates then?

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne.

Much like shadowbringers, it will get overlooked because it's an expansion, despite being better than the base game. ...

At least playing through the base game of MHW doesn't suck, unlike FF14. But can an expansion really get or deserve GOTY? It's not a new game.

For my answer to this thread - it is 100% Control.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shadowbringers, probably will be overlooked cause it's an MMO expansion.

Hikari_Ryu

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Devil May Cry 5 is one of the best games of all times, I hope it is at least nominated in various sites.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Similar to how The Witness was overlooked in 2016, I think the same will happen with the excellent Outer Wilds.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Dragon Quest Builders is not only my GOTY but is like one of my top 5 fave games ever.

Probably will be ignored because it's dragon quest and because it's a building game, but the game is so good that I'm now afraid to be disappointed with the next Animal Crossing.

Untitled goose game is also a contender great gameplay, perfect length and lot of style, humour and originality.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It hasn't been released yet, but if Luigi's Mansion 3 lives up to the greatness of Dark Moon and Next Level Game's track record, it's absolutely gonna be a GOTY contender.