• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
basically, the creator of that translation is an asshole that makes using it with 7th incredibly difficult, if downright impossible.

Reunion is not compatible with most other mods. For a mod to be compatible with Reunion, it needs to have a version made explicitely to work with Reunion. Most mods don't have that.

Thank you both, that's about the same as what I remember from the last couple of years. So I guess situation hasn't changed and seems it's unlikely to change.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to live with the original translation.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you both, that's about the same as what I remember from the last couple of years. So I guess situation hasn't changed and seems it's unlikely to change.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to live with the original translation.
New Threat comes with its own revised script. It's really great. In fact, I think I like it more than Reunion. Considering that New Threat makes FF7 10x better, I'd say you shouldn't mourn the loss of Reunion and go for that option.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
adding to that, a somewhat related question: i tried 7th heaven yesterday, and while i personally don't really care about the achievements(i don't envision myself ever doing 100%), i dislike the idea of always needing to launch 7th heaven so i can launch the game. is there are way to just launch the game directly, after modding it?
I put a shortcut in steam with the launch parameter reading /launch

That way I can just hit play in steam and it'll launch 7th heaven and auto launch Modded FF7 (Also works for steam link if steam is run as an administrator)

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
please teach me and AuthenticM your ways
Using the "Add a Game" button in the bottom left of your steam window, select "Add Non-Steam game..." and then navigate to your 7thHeaven folder, and select the 7thHeaven executable.

Once you've done that, select the title in your Steam Library, right click it and select "Properties"

In there, there's a section called "Launch Options" in that field put "/launch"

So when you click play in Steam, it should launch 7thHeaven and Auto Launch FF7.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Using the "Add a Game" button in the bottom left of your steam window, select "Add Non-Steam game..." and then navigate to your 7thHeaven folder, and select the 7thHeaven executable.

Once you've done that, select the title in your Steam Library, right click it and select "Properties"

So when you click play in Steam, it should launch 7thHeaven and Auto Launch FF7.
ohhhh, i see what you meant. i was confused with what i needed to add. gg then. ill wait for V5(or not, i'm not sure yet) to be compatible with 7th heaven, and install it all with 7th heaven. are the differences really that unnoticeable, AuthenticM ?

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are the FMVs still washed out looking when using them with v4 of this mod in 7th Heaven?

I really want to use version 5 of this mod with 7th Heaven, or play this mod standalone with an "Always Run" mod, but neither seems possible. :( I always run into a snag when wanting to play this game modded...

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you!

ohhhh, i see what you meant. i was confused with what i needed to add. gg then. ill wait for V5(or not, i'm not sure yet) to be compatible with 7th heaven, and install it all with 7th heaven. are the differences really that unnoticeable, AuthenticM ?
I did a full playthrough of the game in January, which included Satsuki v4. When I watched the trailer for v5 in the OP, I couldn't tell if what I was looking at was sharper than what I played. So take that as you will.

The one thing that v5 has over v4 is animations for certain backgrounds. For example, the waterfall behind Aerith's house is normally animated. With Satsuki v4, it's not animated. There are some animated background graphics in Satsuki v4, so I don't know what differentiates the working animations from the non-working animations in v4. But there are some.

If you really want to play now, I'd say go with v4 in 7th Heaven. I did a full playthrough and couldn't even tell if some things were supposed to be animated or not. If you don't mind waiting, I'm sure 7th Heaven will be updated sooner rather than later to support it, so you wouldn't have to wait long.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you!

I did a full playthrough of the game in January, which included Satsuki v4. When I watched the trailer for v5 in the OP, I couldn't tell if what I was looking at was sharper than what I played. So take that as you will.

The one thing that v5 has over v4 is animations for certain backgrounds. For example, the waterfall behind Aerith's house is normally animated. With Satsuki v4, it's not animated. There are some animated background graphics in Satsuki v4, so I don't know what differentiates the working animations from the non-working animations in v4. But there are some.

If you really want to play now, I'd say go with v4 in 7th Heaven. I did a full playthrough and couldn't even tell if some things were supposed to be animated or not. If you don't mind waiting, I'm sure 7th Heaven will be updated sooner rather than later to support it, so you wouldn't have to wait long.
ill wait a few weeks and see what happens. thanks!

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Also check my previous post on New Threat (#106). I very much recommend that you install New Threat. It makes the gameplay 1000% better.
Thanks for this helpful post!

I've tried so many times to get into older JRPGs because I simply cannot stand modern ones... it's just unbearable for me. Older ones however feel so archaic in their gameplay mechanics. For instance, I couldn't continue with FFIX because of ultra slow animations (battle openings and ending) that couldn't be accelerated like the rest of the game, or random encounters for each same insignificant fight.

I'll probably give FFVII another try with these mods (never got beyond the first two hours in the original; after all 20 hours in the Remake... until I reached a point where it was just too much for me and I had to stop).

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
The latest update allows disabling the transparency of the text boxes and the renderer message on screen.

Also, i don't know if it is something included in the mod, but you can increase the speed of the game by 0.5 increments if you press CTRL + UP on the keyboard (CTRL + DOWN to decrease it). I recommend changing the ingame keyboard bindings so you don't move each time you activate it.
It is not as comfortable as in the console versions, but close to it if you keybind it using steam input.

For configuring running as the default way of moving and the option of no encounters, you can use the Ochu trainer (maybe something can be done with a program like autohotkey to toggle no encounters in the trainer with the press of a button).

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this helpful post!

I've tried so many times to get into older JRPGs because I simply cannot stand modern ones... it's just unbearable for me. Older ones however feel so archaic in their gameplay mechanics. For instance, I couldn't continue with FFIX because of ultra slow animations (battle openings and ending) that couldn't be accelerated like the rest of the game, or random encounters for each same insignificant fight.

I'll probably give FFVII another try with these mods (never got beyond the first two hours in the original; after all 20 hours in the Remake... until I reached a point where it was just too much for me and I had to stop).
I understand. I recommend that you bookmark the following webpages on various Final Fantasy gameplay mods, as they will assuredly make things more interesting for you:

FFVIII mod will be out in the next week or so too
Great time for the series!
Good lord these look beautiful. Can't wait to try it.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to use the mouth removal mod and pointing it at the folder its asking but its throwing an error saying there's not enough disk space which definitely isn't true. Tried searching this thread and google but can't find anything. Any ideas?

edit: Did some more googling and seems like the patching program the mouth removal uses is old as the hills and can't patch on a partition with over 2 tb free. Guess I need to install some random crap to use it :P

Last edited:

Polaris

Oct 29, 2017
Twin Cities, Minnesota
I successfully installed the mod and made my selections on the mod configuration screen, but when I click the launch the game I just get a black screen and if I click anywhere it says FF7_ENG (or something like that) has stopped responding. I wonder what could be wrong?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Hey so I've played Final Fantasy 1-2 (GBA versions), haven't played 3-5 due to the confusion around versions etc. I've played and completed VI, VII, VII Remake, up to Stormblood in XIV and I've finished XV.

Of the ones I haven't played I'm interested in VIII, IX, X and XII.

Which should I make a priority to play ASAP?

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, it looks fantastic, and super easy to install too.

Now that I remember that FFVIII mod is also coming out this or next week. Project Angelwing Ultima.

Esxc9aIVEAEU0Mi
ElbwSQQU8AInv_o

ErFjRBgVoAELKSt
Terrible name aside, these look incredible. FF8 was my favorite of the PS1 games. Wouldn't mind going back to this one with this mod.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I wasted most of my Saturday reinstalling FF7 and going through 7th Heaven to install and play New Threat version 2.something, whatever the current one is. Made it to the Jenova Birth fight on the cargo ship... and it's impossible for me to progress any further. The fight is a great deal harder than the original, but more than that, the programmer got too cute with adding new attacks for it to use. It has some ability called "propagate" now, and what it's intended to do I have no idea, but when it uses it, it invariably "misses" and then nothing happens. Permanently. The music keeps going, the characters keep cycling through their animations, but neither friend nor foe gets another turn. They stand around and and stare at one another until you exit the game, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

I assume propagate is triggered whenever you deplete a certain percentage of Jenova's HP, but there's no way of killing it before it gets to that point, not with the absurd bump in HP it got over the original version. I could spend the next six months grinding on the cargo ship to get my characters to level 99 and they still wouldn't be able to pull it off.

I know I can't expect too much from a fan mod, but this has literally wasted my entire weekend now. Please, please think twice about playing through this on your own.

OP
OP
CHC

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Hey so I've played Final Fantasy 1-2 (GBA versions), haven't played 3-5 due to the confusion around versions etc. I've played and completed VI, VII, VII Remake, up to Stormblood in XIV and I've finished XV.

Definitely FF IX! I'm playing it now with the Moguri Mod (AI upscale like in the OP, only for IX). I played it when it came out but it's great to revisit it, classic fairy tale adventure and the characters and combat are really fun, it really feels like the most full and polished realization of the whole PS1 JRPG framework.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely FF IX! I'm playing it now with the Moguri Mod (AI upscale like in the OP, only for IX). I played it when it came out but it's great to revisit it, classic fairy tale adventure and the characters and combat are really fun, it really feels like the most full and polished realization of the whole PS1 JRPG framework.
Cool! Do you know if its tricky to mod the game pass for PC version?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'd say definitely X. It's the most beloved of these four, and it the most well-rounded. I personally consider it to have one of the greatest endings in video game history, up there with The Last of Us. You can't go wrong with it.

IX is divise, both in its gameplay and story. I cannot know where you will fall on it. There is a gameplay mod for it called Alternate Fantasy (which I have linked to upthread), which, from reading about, seems to do some very interesting things. I haven't played it however, so I cannot attest to its quality. But I will be trying it at some point.

I love VIII dearly, and am waiting for some mods to come out before playing through it again. I'll do so with the Ragnarok mod first, and then again with New Threat whenever 1.0 comes out.

XII's gameplay is great and has some nice environments for the player to explore, but its story is very weak. I still like it quite a bit.

So I wasted most of my Saturday reinstalling FF7 and going through 7th Heaven to install and play New Threat version 2.something, whatever the current one is. Made it to the Jenova Birth fight on the cargo ship... and it's impossible for me to progress any further. The fight is a great deal harder than the original, but more than that, the programmer got too cute with adding new attacks for it to use. It has some ability called "propagate" now, and what it's intended to do I have no idea, but when it uses it, it invariably "misses" and then nothing happens. Permanently. The music keeps going, the characters keep cycling through their animations, but neither friend nor foe gets another turn. They stand around and and stare at one another until you exit the game, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

I assume propagate is triggered whenever you deplete a certain percentage of Jenova's HP, but there's no way of killing it before it gets to that point, not with the absurd bump in HP it got over the original version. I could spend the next six months grinding on the cargo ship to get my characters to level 99 and they still wouldn't be able to pull it off.

I know I can't expect too much from a fan mod, but this has literally wasted my entire weekend now. Please, please think twice about playing through this on your own.
I'm very sorry that this has been your experience. What you are describing about the Jenova boss fight is most definitely a bug; I didn't encounter it myself when I played the game last month. I also assure you that the boss isn't supposed to be this big difficulty spike. If you are still willing to give it a shot, I would tell you to wait until version 2.1 comes out in the coming weeks, which will fix some bugs and further polish the game. Keep your save files in case, so you can continue from the cargo ship.

Sep 29, 2020
Didn't see it answered but is there a mod for animation interpolation in battles to up the frame rate, probably my biggest gripe with playing FF7 now is how awfully choppy combat is.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Was hoping the achievements would still work given the modded game shows as playing on steam and you can take screenshots but alas they do not. Oh well, boring list compared to the console ports anyway and can use Sam as you meet the conditions which are fairly spread apart.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Installed the Satsuki mod and New threat just fine, although the game keeps crashing when i help jessie to escape the reactor after the scorpion sentinel boss.
The 7th heaven manager is a different story for the ninostyle chibi models, 2 things happen:
-The manager creates a disc image for some reason and installs the mod there, it works but the others mods(satsuki and new threat) are gone.
- i changed the default exe path to my FF7 steam exe but an errors occurs saying that 7th heaven doesn't support it..

I really liked those new models( except for the mouths) but oh well, i'll try again next weekend if i have some time.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Installed the Satsuki mod and New threat just fine, although the game keeps crashing when i help jessie to escape the reactor after the scorpion sentinel boss.
The 7th heaven manager is a different story for the ninostyle chibi models, 2 things happen:
-The manager creates a disc image for some reason and installs the mod there, it works but the others mods(satsuki and new threat) are gone.
- i changed the default exe path to my FF7 steam exe but an errors occurs saying that 7th heaven doesn't support it..

I really liked those new models( except for the mouths) but oh well, i'll try again next weekend if i have some time.
Are all of your mods installed through 7th Heaven? If not, that might cause some issues. Also:
-make sure that you are running 7th Heaven in administrator mode;
-make sure that FF7 is installed outside of Program Files;
-make sure that the mod list in 7th Heaven is sorted accurately. Use the auto-sort feature when your mods are tagged with the correct category.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Are all of your mods installed through 7th Heaven? If not, that might cause some issues. Also:
-make sure that you are running 7th Heaven in administrator mode;
-make sure that FF7 is installed outside of Program Files;
-make sure that the mod list in 7th Heaven is sorted accurately. Use the auto-sort feature when your mods are tagged with the correct category.

I installed Satsuki and New Threat with their respective installers.
Never used 7th heaven before, i only want to install those characters models you've shared here. I don't have anything else installed.
I'll try admin mode and auto-sort then, i have my games installed in a different drive so no problem there.
Thanks for the support.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019

V GBA
IX Ps1
XII Xbox One X

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I installed Satsuki and New Threat with their respective installers.
Never used 7th heaven before, i only want to install those characters models you've shared here. I don't have anything else installed.
I'll try admin mode and auto-sort then, i have my games installed in a different drive so no problem there.
Thanks for the support.
Yeah, I recommend having every mod of yours be installed through 7th Heaven; it's the best way to avoid weird bugs and crashes.

Always remember these points:
  • Make sure each mod has their category type correctly attributed;
  • Make sure that you auto-sort your mods (the 1/9 button on the right) every time you add a new mod;
  • Make sure you run 7th Heaven in administrator mode. Always.

Here are screenshots of my configuration of 7th Heaven, which doesn't give me any issues despite having tons of mods installed, to serve you as reference:

eI5Yuby.jpg

R17bx71.jpg

sLJkPos.jpg

d6AuvTv.jpg

YakrgZa.jpg

Last edited:

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
While modded does look sharp and clean on my PC the last time I connected original hardware PS1 ff7 on CRT TV I was like damn I'd probably play like this again on PC if possible looks good in person sadly can't take screenshot like that

I'm looking on how to replicate that experience on PC as close as possible, some say CRT Royale is a good CRT filter, seems there's supersampling 240p too need to mess around and see what I can do to get the closest experience to that I can't be bothered connecting my CRT again

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I recommend having every mod of yours be installed through 7th Heaven; it's the best way to avoid weird bugs and crashes.

Always remember these points:
  • Make sure each mod has their category type correctly attributed;
  • Make sure that you auto-sort your mods (the 1/9 button on the right) every time you add a new mod;
  • Make sure you run 7th Heaven in administrator mode. Always.

Here are screenshots of my configuration of 7th Heaven, which doesn't give me any issues despite having tons of mods installed, to serve you as reference:

eI5Yuby.jpg

R17bx71.jpg

sLJkPos.jpg

d6AuvTv.jpg

YakrgZa.jpg
Wow thanks a lot, this will be really useful.
I'll reinstall everything again.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Just played some with this mod and the Nino battle and chibi models and it looks fantastic. Also added the soft shadows. It's amazing how much cleaner and smoother the FMVs are and it really makes the backgrounds "just like you remember them". Such an upgrade over the default.

I was a bit confused with the installation at the start and how to have both this mod and the chibi character mod but in th eend it ws much easier than I though.

Install the mod from the OP, install the update for the mod.
Run the mod config from the FFVII install location and configure it to your liking
Then grab the Direct file version of the nino models and follow the readme.txt (copy the files into the Direct folder in the games directory and delete and copy over the ones from the chibi folder if you want to use them)

I was confused after 7th Heaven didn't load the upscale mod and just launched the regular version but now I can just run it from steam and I'm good to go with what I wanted. I wish SE would do something like this as an update for this and the other "remasters" (ports) of the PS1 FF games. Like, how much work would it really be to have a small team redo the chibi/battle models? I mean, a small team or sometimes a single person can do so much work to the models/textures for free/donations. And the AI upscaling now just costs time really (and I guess license fees? Maybe?).

Anyway, these mods really make the game feel like a remaster instead of just a port and don't go the route of some HD texture packs that kind of change the feeling of the original art.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting the "not vanilla version of Steam" error when trying to install the background, was there a workaround for this? I verified all the files to remove any other modded files I have.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks both, this seems to have done the trick!

Can't seem to get it to work with the other mods mentioned in this thread, but I think it's just me being new to this thing. Will have a play around.
Installing mods through different means sometimes creates issues (such as a standalone mod + 7th Heaven). I'd say install all of your mods through 7th heaven. It's the best way to avoid issues. So get Satsuki v4 from 7th Heaven's catalog in the meantime. You can get v5 when it is made available for the manager.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks both, this seems to have done the trick!

Can't seem to get it to work with the other mods mentioned in this thread, but I think it's just me being new to this thing. Will have a play around.

Yeah, I really want to play New Threat but it doesn't seem to play well with Satsuki. Tried 7th Heaven but the game doesn't recognize my controller when launched with it.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Installing mods through different means sometimes creates issues (such as a standalone mod + 7th Heaven). I'd say install all of your mods through 7th heaven. It's the best way to avoid issues. So get Satsuki v4 from 7th Heaven's catalog in the meantime. You can get v5 when it is made available for the manager.

Ah excellent. Will get that done, cheers!

Yeah, I really want to play New Threat but it doesn't seem to play well with Satsuki. Tried 7th Heaven but the game doesn't recognize my controller when launched with it.

Yeah I find that controller issues seem pretty random with FF7 on PC.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine that you have a Dualshock? If so, you need to use DS4Windows. Start the program and plug in your controller BEFORE launching 7th Heaven. 7th Heaven only supports Xinput controllers, hence the need for DS4Windows.