• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Ahh, I see the qhimm forums are still alive and well after all these years.

I still remember downloading mods for FF8PC back in the early 2000s to get the original soundfont instrumentation to work with the MIDI of the game to sound super close to the actual thing. They even have a standalone triple triad download there.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Actually can we apply this AI upscaling technology to the pre-rendered backdrops of the plate in FFVII Remake

Not even joking

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Actually can we apply this AI upscaling technology to the pre-rendered backdrops of the plate in FFVII Remake

Not even joking

You mean the couple of times where it actually looks bad, right? I think anytime they have you elevated like the dungeon under the plate or on the pillar they are using some effect to make the skybox appear lower and for some reason that makes the backgrounds look terrible. Otherwise, I thought the effect of the backgrounds helped Remake feel dense and beautiful.

Eh, it doesn't look good, the upscale makes the backgrounds look like plastic and too clean, it doesn't look coherent and organic at all like it's supposed to be.

This game displayed at it's true 240p resolution through RGB signal on SD CRT is the only definitive/intended way.

I feel the same way. I was watching the Nintendo Direct earlier and it looks like they are using the same AI upscaling on the Saga Frontier remaster, but it didn't stand out quite as much due to the locations they were showing off being fairly sterile. Decent CRT filters are the easiest things to add to their remasters. I wish they would realize that it's what a lot of people would prefer.

Shiryu

Sep 6, 2019
I feel the same way. I was watching the Nintendo Direct earlier and it looks like they are using the same AI upscaling on the Saga Frontier remaster, but it didn't stand out quite as much due to the locations they were showing off being fairly sterile. Decent CRT filters are the easiest things to add to their remasters. I wish they would realize that it's what a lot of people would prefer.
Sonic mania developers did a great job in that regard, it's not just a generic CRT filter applied but they created 2 complex shaders as an option to mimic the look of shadow mask CRTs and PVMs.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Those look like actual human beings.

I laughed. xD

L3fQhqo.jpg

99.9% of Remake's classic retread moments are peerless. This is the 0.1%. The chef asks you to take a seat but as far as I could tell you can't actually do so. I'll never be able to order the strangely wall-breaking Korean BBQ Plate again.

Yeah, small things like this I sorta looked for too. :P

I was pretty bummed we didnt see the pretty cool basement in Tifa's bar

D6KzHU6XkAEp_NQ.jpg

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the work that goes into mods like these and it looks good. I still prefer the look of the game on original hardware on a CRT. I do wish we could get that look on modern machines but emulation with CRT shaders is still the closest we can get imo.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic mania developers did a great job in that regard, it's not just a generic CRT filter applied but they created 2 complex shaders as an option to mimic the look of shadow mask CRTs and PVMs.
That game is a great example of software scanlines done right. I hate when there's no gamma or gamma options to make up for turning on scanlines. All the arcade archive releases are so dark with them on.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Wow, it looks fantastic, and super easy to install too.

Now that I remember that FFVIII mod is also coming out this or next week. Project Angelwing Ultima.

Esxc9aIVEAEU0Mi
ElbwSQQU8AInv_o

ErFjRBgVoAELKSt

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't look half bad. I'd give it another play through, but near as I can tell, the Steam version doesn't have the same quality of life boosters that the recent console rereleases do. I need the ability to run shit at 3X speed or turn off random encounters to get through these games anymore.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is there a mod that skips the flyover part when a battle starts and gets straight to the combat? That, plus this mod would make me want to finally replay FF7.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone post a screenshot of the area in Mako Reactor 1 where Jessie uses codes on the doors? I remember Remako making ugly macaroni salad out of the floor grates and wall textures in that area, and I'd like to see how this stacks up.

I can't say I think much of the floor tiles in that one shot at the ramen shop.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it doesn't look good, the upscale makes the backgrounds look like plastic and too clean, it doesn't look coherent and organic at all like it's supposed to be.

This game displayed at it's true 240p resolution through RGB signal on SD CRT is the only definitive/intended way.
It looks like ugly 90s CG either way, but at least this makes it acceptable to look at on modern displays.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a fan retranslation mod of the game that doesn't call Moogles "Moguri" (i.e., the Beacause mod)?

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Been having a blast with this, it now looks just like my mind interpreted it was supposed to way back in the day. Enjoy!

Fucking incredible. Thank you.

Very important question: Can I add a CRT or scanline shaders "somehow"?

Last time I tried it with the previous versions of REMAKO with Reshade, I got a black screen.

EDIT: Last time I tried, the non-chibi models "resize per background" mod wasnt working correctly. Is this fixed? I love the Lego people but wanted to try with more human proportions BUT with the correct proportions compared to the background ...and it crashed last year.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
That scanline filter puts to shame pretty much every professional attempt at them I've seen in the last decade or so, even from great studios like M2.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really wish I could see the appeal of AI upscale like many others.

Those screen shots maybe cleaner than PS1 but I don't see how they actually appeal to anyone any more than the OG look.

Backgrounds may look better but it makes the pop eye arms and models look that much worse, at least to me.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like much ado about nothing to me. Like does it look better? Sure I guess? Nothing in that trailer or comparison shots screams "HD" to me though.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Here's a comparison between the vanilla game and what it looks like when you install satsuki and some other mods, such as Ninostyle's chibi models:

IwsrxRc.jpg

GZYzlyF.jpg

So this looks absolutely amazing and I want it. I've done a little light searching, but if I've just installed a clean version of FFVII on Steam and the latest satsuki HD mod with the Steam version installer, what's the best way to install these ninostyle models?

I've seen people that did it with Remako, but no luck finding any instructions installing it with satsuki.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish I could see the appeal of AI upscale like many others.

Those screen shots maybe cleaner than PS1 but I don't see how they actually appeal to anyone any more than the OG look.

Backgrounds may look better but it makes the pop eye arms and models look that much worse, at least to me.
The higher-res backgrounds, on PC, make the graphics not only prettier, but less distracting. On a old CRT TV, FF7 looks great; everything is coherent. But on PC, with a very high resolution monitor, the juxtaposition of the blurry backgrounds with the high-res real-time character models just creates visual distraction. So having the AI-upscaled backgrounds makes the visual composition less distracting. That alone is good.

As for the original pop-eye models, there are redone chibi models out there that look really good, and when used in combination with the upscaled backgrounds, creates a really good result, as seen in my previous post.

Here's a screenshot from my recent playthrough:

J0brKdt.jpg

There are three mods in action here:
-satsuki's upscaled backgrounds
-ninostyle's chibi field models
-Chrysalis and EQ2Alyza's Enhanced Stock UI 2.0

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Pair this with New Threat mod and you got yourself a nice excuse to replay FFVII if you haven't play New Threat. Excellent gameplay mod.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The higher-res backgrounds, on PC, make the graphics not only prettier, but less distracting. On a old CRT TV, FF7 looks great; everything is coherent. But on PC, with a very high resolution monitor, the juxtaposition of the blurry backgrounds with the high-res real-time character models just creates visual distraction. So having the AI-upscaled backgrounds makes the visual composition less distracting. That alone is good.

As for the original pop-eye models, there are redone chibi models out there that look really good, and when used in combination with the upscaled backgrounds, creates a really good result, as seen in my previous post.

J0brKdt.jpg

Okay yeah with those models I can get behind it a bit now.

And to be fair I haven't seen it on PC barely at all so you maybe right, and in that environment I might be able to see it more with a positive eye too.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

J0brKdt.jpg

I freaking love how these models look. It's what I would imagine something like a Dreamcast enhanced port of FF7 might've looked like, they kinda remind me of Grandia 2's models but still maintaining the proportions of the original FF7 models. Just cool.

images

OP
OP
CHC

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Has disgusting PC mouths

PASS
Read the bottom of the OP
Is this better than Remako Mod?
Would like to know as well

Yes it's definitely better. Remako was made a while ago and it can be very painted or "melty" looking in certain places like grates, fences, etc. Satsuki's mod is generally a little softer and cleaner looking, less artifacts and stuff. On top of that it's MUCH easier to install, makes the FMVs play at 30 FPS, and also includes font and menu upscales that are really respectful of the original feel.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna check this out later, thanks a lot.
The AI upscaled mod for VIII is almost complete too, there's still stuff to fix but the new models won't clash with the blurry backgrounds now.
A lot of cool stuff lately.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
The slums look better than the official remake slums

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

J0brKdt.jpg

Thank you for posting this, this is the first time i've seen mods that feel to me like they fit with the OG game, other mods i've seen just seem like they're out of place.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow this is amazing....

Meanwhile here I've been waiting for months and months as a Patreon to McIndus Mods for him to finish the same things with VIII