• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you “take a break” from an artist you like’s work after they pass away?

• Yes, I purposefully avoid their work for a period of time

Votes: 21 12.5%
  • No, it doesn’t affect me and I continue enjoying their work immediately following with no break.

Votes: 90 53.6%
  • I don’t avoid their work but don’t go out of my way to experience it immediately following either

Votes: 57 33.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Just something that I've been curious about in terms of where the majority lie in this situation. I tend to stay away for just a short time but then can come back to it soon after. Though I can just as easily see why people would like to honor the person by immediately binging all their stuff.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Unless I know them personally or was related to them the answer is no.

Gho5tstar

Jan 16, 2021
VA
Huge Prince fan before and after..drove to paisley park from VA the minute i heard about his death.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Considering that when a musician or actor dies, his most recent project usually ends up in the charts the next week, I would say most people immediately revisit their work.
Personally, it depends on the person. After Gandolfini passed away I even avoided Sopranos clips on youtube, let alone watch the series again.
Meanwhile, Chadwick died, and the very next day I just felt the need to watch Black Panther and Jackie Robinson.
Now with Michael K., I'm tempted to rewatch Boardwalk Empire.
It's always different.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I have to avoid it for a while. I still can't get myself to listen to anything from Naya Rivera it just makes me sad.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
No break, but I'll usually get sad if it's someone I like and binge them for a while.

When DOOM died, I went through his remix albums for a few days, reminded me of college days.

May 24, 2019
If it's not someone I know in great detail already, a death tends to make me get into their work even more and check out the things I hadn't seen/heard before.

I often make a week of watches after a notable film director dies.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on how they passed on. If it was of old age, I can listen to/watch/etc. them with mostly no regrets.

One of my favorite artists had ended his own life years ago, and it took me a very long time to get back into listening his music because a lot of it alluded to his depression.

Nov 29, 2018
The few examples I can think of involved me revisiting works. When Vonnegut passed, I reread Sirens of Titan, when Bowie died, I listened through his discography for at least a week. Recently when Miura passed, I started going through Berserk again.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Depends on the impact said artist has on my life to be fair. like the death of Chadwick Boseman had a profound impact on me, the news didn't want make me want to watch his work as it was a painful reminder of who we just lost, I think I felt the same way when Chester Bennington passed away too.

When the artist that passes away is someone who didn't personally affect me in anyway but still revered, then I usually watch/read/listen to one of their works to get a picture on why they were so beloved.

Apr 3, 2018
For me, it depends on the medium.

I don't alter my viewing habits if an actor I like were to die. But movies/shows don't mean as much to me as music/literature.

When John Prine died last year? Holy shit. I was a wreck. His records were always in heavy rotation for me, but I went through month and months where it was nothing but Prine.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
An artist's death really doesn't cause me to do anything differently than I normally would.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm usually tempted to revisit some of their stuff in celebration of their work.

This is where I'm at, like I've watched 4 or 5 Michael K Williams scenes today and when David Bowie and Prince died I listened to their stuff for a few days. If anything it makes me want to immediately listen/see their work to celebrate the life that's been lost.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
If my fav musician dies I definitely revisit their work. I think knowing there's no more coming from them recontextualizes the music in a weird way, like it almost becomes more precious knowing there's no more for them to "say". I took a huge deep dive into SOPHIEs music after they passed and I feel like it just blew my mind all over again. Especially if I really connected with their work when they were alive, it feels like the best way to honor them.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
it depends.

I haven't listened to Bowie's Blackstar since 2016, tbh. I listened it once right after news of his death broke, then time passed and listened to it with my then girlfriend and then I haven't listened to it ever since. I guess it's two big sad memories for one album so I'm not going to purposefully listen to it now.

I'm trying to convince my mother to finish watching The Wire (it's her first time, but it's a rewatch for me) after MKW's passing, in tribute to his craft. I hope we have the time.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends, I usually do revisit their works, but not always. The Wire got pushed up the rewatch list a few notches, but I'm not revisiting it right away just because a TV show is such a big investment. When Isao Takahata passed, I got plastered and ugly cried rewatching Grave of the Fireflies.

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
It depends, and I'm not really sure what all the factors are.

When David Bowie died I listened to a lot of his albums immediately afterward.

When Robin Williams died I remember people posting snippets of Aladdin, Jumanji, etc on Twitter, but I couldn't watch them. It felt too weird and too soon.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I still have a hard time reading new Terry Pratchett books. But that's been since his diagnosis, and it just got worse with his death. Only have about four that I haven't read.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Usually when an artist I adore dies it makes me want to go buy some of their art. Like, I dunno if it feels like I'm building a more permanent connection to them or what, but it's my first instinct.

And given my long history of suicidal thoughts and attempts, if an artist I loved killed themselves I'm tempted to revisit their art in order to see if I can pick up those thoughts or emotions. Kinda morbid, I guess, but whatever.

Oct 27, 2017
When Daffney died I watched a lot of her recent interviews to see just how loving she was to other people and it kind of made it hit harder for me that she was hurting for so long but still in her pain tried to make other people feel better.

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I tend to avoid watching movies/tv shows when actors that a really liked die. When a singer dies I can listen and enjoy their music right away no problem.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Just depends for me. I listened to lots of Bowie after he died (I was always a huge Bowie fan, named my dog after him.) but I still haven't wanted to rewatch Black Panther after Boseman passed. His What If? episode was great but even that kinda bummed me out.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends. After Bowie died I listened to pretty much nothing but his music for a month. After John Prine died I listened to Prine's albums as often as usual, one or two a month. After David Berman died I couldn't listen to Silver Jews/Purple Mountains for a year.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Depends on who it was and how it happened. Typically I am drawn to their work, but there have been a few that I couldn't handle for awhile. Robin Williams comes to mind. I couldn't enjoy the comedies and I still haven't revisited any of his films that meditate on death. I'd really like to rewatch What Dreams May Come but it's gonna be a rough watch even after all these years.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want to say I'm more compelled to check out their work that I've never seen before, but ultimately I'm a pretty lazy guy, so usually nothing changes.

But eventually I will get around to watching The Wire, I swear it...

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
im like "i should go revisit their work" then i'm like "i'll get around to it eventually" and never do

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
After Gandolfini passed away I even avoided Sopranos clips on youtube, let alone watch the series again.
I still haven't rewatched The Sopranos since his death. There was a recent thread about a Sopranos scene with Junior where I watched the clips and got incredibly sad. It was hard enough to watch "Enough Said" (which is pretty great, can only recommend it, even though I was a wreck afterwards).
Your avatar isn't helping btw, I do love it though.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I've revisited works of musicians who've passed soon after their death, but never for an actor. I generally never rewatch movies/TV shows so…

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It really depends. If it's more on the old age/natural end then I will seek out stuff to celebrate their body of work. If it's more of a sudden tragic loss then I will stay away for a bit cus it's a reminder of the sad loss.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I probably avoid or don't intend to watch/experience their stuff.

Felt this way about Tom Petty. Was so bummed when he died and that I never saw him live that I just kinda didn't seek out listening to any petty.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I went through all of Stuart Gordon's films again last year when he passed away.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It depends. I don't think I'd go out of my way to avoid a lot of it.

That said though, I haven't rewatched Angel since Andy Hallett died. I caught an episode on TV about a year after, a Lorne focused one, and I couldn't sit through it since it just made me too sad.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
I have a hard time with actors and movies soon after they pass.

With artists and music, not as bad but I still take a break from listening to their material for a while.

Every February, I blast Nujabes music in my classroom as a tribute to him :)

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Depends on if I had attachments to them. When Chadwick Boseman died I just prayed for his repose and Retweeted tributes to him. When KyoAni burned it really affected me, and it's become a ritual for me ever since to offer much of my week to that memory, be it through reading interviews, swapping out my usual music in favor of their OSTs, finishing a show, or at least lighting a votive candle on the day it happened.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
With music artists, I definitely will seek out their music if they had some significance in my life. Chester from Linkin Park is a good example. Listened to my old Hybrid Theory CD for an entire car ride the day after his death and it was incredibly hard to get through based on some of lyrics and hearing his voice, but I managed.

With actors and actresses, not so much. With Chadwick Boseman, it took me several months to eventually watch 42. When Carl Reiner passed last year, I didn't know much of his career and marked down movies to eventually watch. I just finally just got around to watching the Ocean's 11 trilogy that he's in. Also, I keep having the urge to rewatch One Hour Photo, but I think subconsciously I'm avoiding it because Robin Williams is in it and I don't think I've rewatched any of his work after he died.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I tend to avoid things, but it's partially because at that point there's a point where there'll be nothing new to watch of them. Like, I love Kurosawa movies but there's some I've purposefully avoided watching so I always have a couple left over. I've actively avoided Robin Williams movies so there's 'new' films to watch of his. Etc.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I watched a bunch of Robin Williams movies soon after he died but I dont really do this often.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I am currently in the middle of a boardwalk empire rewatch and the Michael K Williams news made it really hard to watch it yesterday. I still did but with a lot of sadness and admiration for who we lost.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on who it is. For the post part I guess nothing changes, but there are exceptions. I always loved Audioslave and was always lukewarm on Soundgarden, but after Chris Cornell passed away I fell down long spiral with all of his work. I fucking hate that it took all this time for me to appreciate Soundgarden, but now I would both bands in my top 10 (if you just pool it all together as Chris Cornell it's top 5).

I haven't watched Jeopardy since Alex Trebek passed away. I have a lot of fond memories of Jeopardy and Trebek was someone I sort of admired I guess. I can't watch reruns I missed and I don't have any interest in watching a new host. Maybe some day.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on how they passed on. If it was of old age, I can listen to/watch/etc. them with mostly no regrets.

One of my favorite artists had ended his own life years ago, and it took me a very long time to get back into listening his music because a lot of it alluded to his depression.
That's how I felt about Linkin Park :( I love their music but it was rough for 6 months