• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Two random things I just thought about:
  1. I hope Housemarque is okay. I don't think I've seen anyone talk about Stormdivers since it was announced.
  2. I can't believe Sony hasn't done anything with Warhawk. It seems so ripe for the current multiplayer landscape. Whether it be F2P, $20 download, Battle Royale, etc. That game has something special to it that I don't find in many others.

Oct 26, 2017
Allow me to respost what I wrote some hours ago in another thread, as it's relevant
A sequel to a game that was loved by pretty much everyone and just got poor sales because it was released at a bad time between other AAA titles.

All the fans say that. There is zero evidence for it. It's the easy thing to say, a clear thing to grab to explain why this good game didn't sell, it's almost conforting to have it as explanation, we can point it and say, "see? this was the problem. Not the game". It's almost just wishful thinking.

Titanfall 2 is a very good game, but imo it wouldn't have sold a ton even if it would been released on another release window. It would have done it better? Yeah, but no, say, three times better. The market is less and less interested in single player FPS campaigns, and less and less interested in super high mobility/skill twitch shooters.

So yeah, I agree with you, after two games they never reached the commercial success they were searching, a third game wouldn't help do it.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
A high production value AAA single player campaign is incredibly expensive to make relative to the hours of ply you get. I can see a Dead Space-like end or very long pause to the series if TF3 had been more of TF2 minus multiplayer.
While it does feel like saturation at this point - all we're missing is a Gears BR - this may be what the series needs. I don't get how monetization will work, but I hope it works out for Respawns sake.

Black Duke

Dec 2, 2017
TitanFall 2 was like 5€ on the PSN sometimes ago.
They could have made that f2p with a BR mode and call it a day.
I still would love a TF3.

Bavera__

Feb 3, 2019
Italy
I'm honestly all aboard with the disgruntled titanfalls fans, it sucks that ea basically forced respawn into this but I really do hope this game captures a lot of people so they hopefully work on other tf games in the future

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
In the long term and if Apex works out beyond its release period, it should actually pave the way for a new Titanfall fusing Legends' proposal with classic TF design.

It cannot be by chance either, that Titanfall 2 is right now on sale (again) in most digital stores. This should be used as the new foundation stone for Respawn and its series.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
I think i just threw up a little reading this.

Another BR game that is stripped down compared to another potential entry in the series of one of the best and unique shooters in recent years? No thanks.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The wallrunning stuff is untouchable nowadays. TF2 failed and the CoD devs couldn't go a interview without saying "boots on the ground" after IW. Need to give it a break after TF1, AW, Blop3, TF2 and IW in a few year period.
I'm glad we got Apex over TF3 though.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind if it was just a one off game but with the idea of continuous support I wonder how much room there is for making another FPSs at respawn

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
if apex had more in common with titanfall sure but with no wall running or even titans it feels more like a regression

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anything that removes giant robots from a series that previously had giant robots isn't a good thing.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Another case of insider info that was never intended to be public confirmation of anything causing blowback against a project that, IMO, doesn't deserve it at all.

I know it's both duty and passion on behalf of folks of Jason Schreier to keep us apprised of insider dealings and solid murmurs, and I love the guy for it, but doubling down on "I knew Titanfall 3 was being made for sure" is IMO really causing Titanfall's commercially meager fanbase to kind of cannibalize itself. It's my hope that being a solid Battle Royale is going to really reach out to an audience well beyond the squabbling Titanfall and backseat designer whining that we do as fans of the series (there was plenty of vocal blowback to the variety of changes made to Titanfall 2, for instance) will just get drowned out, and eventually Respawn just makes Titanfall 3 as THEY feel it should be.

All this nonsense about us deserving Titanfall 3 based on loyalty alone is stupid. Respawn's a talented developer and I respect them enough to let them do whatever the hell they want. I don't see them pursuing Battle Royale as a money-hungry desperation move at the cost of Titanfall 3 -- I think they just saw this brand new game design landing and felt passionate about putting their own spin on it and trusted fans would show up and be passionate about it too.

If Titanfall 3 was really ever happening, I trust Respawn would've told us publicly already, and they will communicate with us if Titanfall 3 gets back into production. Until then, IMO Apex Legends is great as far as Battle Royale games go (I've personally only enjoyed Blackout so far because I think PUBG is too clunky and Fortnite's building mechanics aren't my thing), it makes perfect sense that Titanfall 3 isn't happening (yet?) despite how badly I want to see it happen, and goddammit they have the opportunity to make the first great Star Wars game in a long, long time so I'm more invested in seeing that happen than watching Titanfall 3 release to an uninterested wider audience and possibly land Respawn in trouble as a studio.

Titanfall got blowback from audiences for its multiplayer only design. Titanfall 2 released between two juggernaut series sequels and the remainder of Titanfall fans loudly squabbled over the gameplay changes from the first game, which wasn't a good look to curious other folks (it just looked like a complete lack of confidence about the quality of the game for people on the outside looking in). Apex Legends is apparently a "tired" genre (that's only about 2 years old in the limelight, good grief) and is allegedly responsible for "cancelling" Titanfall 3 which is drawing the ire of the Titanfall fanbase.

Respawn can't seem to catch a break -- the response to their games often is so divisive that it seems to keep outsiders looking in from having confidence about investing their time and money into the games because we all just fucking cry about their games every time they release one. They've done nothing but amazing work as a studio so far, though.

Battle Royale's wider current appeal and what I trust to be designer savvy and passion about the genre that caused Respawn to throw their hat in the ring is probably the absolute best move they could've made as a studio. Landing the Star Wars gig and nailing it could get them out of this reputation they have for releasing games that people do nothing but bicker about.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Another BR game that is stripped down compared to another potential entry in the series. No thanks.

Honestly how much did you actually play Titanfall 1 & 2? This game is not a stripped down "another BR game". As a big fan of multiplayer shooters, what they are doing with Apex is far more exciting than anything that came from Titanfall.

Titanfall was just "another arena shooter" if you are going to have that logic. This faux fatigue on resetera over BR - which is a widely expansive exciting new space in the multiplayer field is so tiring.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Titanfall died for this and you think this is a good thing?
DirtyCrazyFruitfly-size_restricted.gif

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I hope the success of Apex Legends makes people check out Titanfall 2 and increases the demand for TF3.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Can't say I agree OP. Apex Legends is fine on its own sure.
But it doesn't replace an actual Titanfall 3, not by a long shot. I'm unsure if this even has the capacity to push an actual TF3 like you propose either.
It's clearly not even Titanfall related as much as it is. The game doesn't even have TItanfall in the name.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
If this game succeeds and make Respawn a lot of money, why would they ever go back to Titanfall instead of doubling down on this?

It's easier to just assume Titanfall is dead now.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The wallrunning stuff is untouchable nowadays. TF2 failed and the CoD devs couldn't go a interview without saying "boots on the ground" after IW. Need to give it a break after TF1, AW, Blop3, TF2 and IW in a few year period.

This likely plays a massive part in why Titanfall 2 failed. Wall running must have be a too high skill floor for a lot of people.

Part of me thinks that it's because wall running and high speed tends to annihilate low skill play. Camping and abusing easy mechanics together at kills is next to impossible in Titanfall 2, or similarly black ops 3. You gotta actually master the wall running a d moment to moment gunfighting to stand a chance. And of ourselves the more dynamics you add to a game (verticality, speed and wall scaling) the harder it becomes for a newcomer to master.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I don't think it's the best thing for the franchise at all.

I would much rather have straight up Titanfall 3, although I think it's too soon for it anyway right now

Another thing is it take much more than being popular for one week to make a successful F2P game. You need to sustain a player base, or else the game dies. Let's see where the game is in a few months

OP
OP

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
If this game succeeds and make Respawn a lot of money, why would they ever go back to Titanfall instead of doubling down on this?

It's easier to just assume Titanfall is dead now.

Imagine TF3 launching with SP, traditional multiplayer and a new revamped BR mode like apex that is F2P.

People that buy TF3 get a bunch of coins, cosmetics and other goodies right away.

Oct 30, 2017

The wall running stuff would be fine if they (they being everyone) didn't try to oversaturate the market from day 1.

I'd also rather have Titanfall 3 over AL. TF2 was one of my most enjoyable FPS titles this gen. Here's hoping we do get 3 one day.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The
I think i just threw up a little reading this.

Another BR game that is stripped down compared to another potential entry in the series of one of the best and unique shooters in recent years? No thanks.

I struggle to share the trend of hating BR related games. This is how gaming goes, always has, always will, people create new genres or styles of gameplay that others borrow and adapt. TDM, CTF etc. Not only that, but at this point there's only a handful of BR titles, not the saturated mass many will have you believe.

BR has resulted in a return to much larger scale battles and gameplay from multiplayer first person shooters, much like PC games of old used to reach (who remembers Joint Ops?). Seeing series such as Call of Duty hit 100 players is great - if someone told you a few years ago CoD would be a 100 player game they'd probably laugh you off.

Don't get me wrong, I love Titanfall but the game unfortunately didn't sell that well, despite the love many of us have for it. Apex features a hell of a lot of similarities for fans of the series, along with some really great and fresh changes to the 'norm' established by other BR titles. If someone doesn't enjoy it that's absolutely fine, but folks that hate on games just because they're not the one they were hoping the team would make for them seems silly to me. For the devs I'm sure it was far more exciting and creatively inspiring to produce a new take on the genre rather than the third game in a series back-to-back.

Hopefully it does result in a Titanfall 3 with a much larger audience to boot - cross-promotions would be great!

Last edited:

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I'm supportive of them doing what they gotta do to make a living and keep their jobs.

Meanwhile, the game is good.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The wall running stuff would be fine if they (they being everyone) didn't try to oversaturate the market from day 1.

I'd also rather have Titanfall 3 over AL. TF2 was one of my most enjoyable FPS titles this gen. Here's hoping we do get 3 one day.
That's definitely a factor too, CoD certainly didn't have to do the wallrunning stuff 3 times in a row and the IW reveal was when it became untouchable imo.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Titanfall 3 was made, EA will again drop the ball on marketing and planning release like it did for Titanfall 1 & 2.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The series is no more. Apex Legends might as well be a new IP. It may have been the best thing possible for Respawn, but for Titanfall? Nah.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Titanfall died for this and you think this is a good thing?
DirtyCrazyFruitfly-size_restricted.gif

TitanFall died long before this. If anything, the success of Apex might be able to bankroll TitanFall 3.

If you want TitanFall 3 you should be hoping like hell Apex is successful otherwise we'll be memeing about "Papa EA" taking Respawn out back with all the other devs they've shut down.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
That not the same as making Titanfall 3. It was the titans, the superb movement, verticality and gunplay that made Titanfall the game it is. That not enough.

Once AGAIN. There is literally nothing stopping them from making that apart of Apex legends at some point. Some of you guys are flipping Respawn the bird and saying no to this game as if that is gonna get you TF3. Hate to break it to you, but if this game flops there will be no TF3 no matter what the players want. This game was not cheap to make and if its not a financial success then EA will take Respawn out behind the barn and put a round in their head like they have already done multiple times now.

However if this game becomes a success and the community wants Titans bad enough Respawn could add a new mode somewhere down the line or even just use the success of this game to fund TF3. Cutting off revenue to Respawn because you refuse to even give the game a chance is not the answer. If you play the game and you don't like it then fine, but boycotting the game on principle in order to magically get TF3 somehow is extremely stupid.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I could live without the robots, but the lack of wall running really killed any desire. Titanfall 2 absolutely nailed movement, and while Apex isn't bad in that department, it lacks the feel that made me love TF2.

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
Although it pains me a bit (was a huge fan of TF2), I agree with you OP.
There's just no way Respawn could top TF2 and TF3 would have most likely been a disappointment.

Having played Apex, it does feels great and I'll gladly take that.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I like the mechanic and liked IW and even I was growing tired of it lol.

I need to download AL. It does look pretty good.
I liked the movement, but couldn't really ever get into the MP modes for any of the wallrunning games (haven't tried TF2 though, but Apex's shooting has me really interested in trying it). Loved IW's SP, in large parts thanks to the movement, but was bored with the MP after like 5 games.

Jan 15, 2018
While I would have downloaded a BR game with Titans in a heartbeat, this doesn't look bad or more of the same to me. If I can convince a friend or two I'll probably try it out.