• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
look carefully at the serial number, if it starts with 79 and ends with 34 you won't believe this OP

hope you are sitting down

are you ready?

prepare for your life to change

don't touch the bill with your greasy fingers

savor this moment

it'd be worth $2

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol i watched a video that talked about the 2 dollar bill. people keep hoarding them thinking they are rare and worth more and the mint then prints more which are then hoarded by people. its not worth more than 2 dollars and unless there is some kind of print error on them they won't be worth more than that in the future.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Most of them are from 1976 and that's what you'll mostly get at the bank. There's no rare issue year in circulation.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
It is worth 2 dollars and you get a story from the person you gave it too because if they haven't seen one they will talk to you about it, which then gives them a story to tell others and so on and if they have, then they feel part of a secret circle which is also kinda fun and silly. So in other words, don't hold onto them, spend them, they are worth 2 dollars.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
A coworker told me to keep one on you and something lucky will happen. Once it does, give it to someone else as a tip to give them luck.

I'm not a very superstitious person, but it was a fun idea. So I've followed it since.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I have a friend who semi-regularly orders a stack of $2 bills (I think it's 100 bills) from his bank because he thinks it's fun to give them out for tips and such. Occasionally, the bank has to order them for him, but they're always easy for him to get.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
in my country a 2$ bill is consider a good luck charm, additionally the more "8" number the bill has, the luckier it gets lol

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how they're not rare. Anecdotal, but I've worked in retail, restaurants and bars for about a decade and I can count the $2 bills I've seen in one hand.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
definitely not true.. the design hasn't changed since 1976, though.

I should have said of the years in circulation 1976 was the biggest printing by far (over half a billion bills). My wording implied more than half are from 76 when in reality that was just the biggest batch, the three or so times we've minted more since were way smaller runs.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I don't understand how they're not rare. Anecdotal, but I've worked in retail, restaurants and bars for about a decade and I can count the $2 bills I've seen in one hand.
People tend to hoard them rather than spending them, because they think they're rare/valuable/novel, so many of the bills in circulation are sitting in drawers unused. That's also why they all tend to be in really good condition.

I work in retail too though and I've seen far more than one hand's worth swapping out the cash in the registers at night, and I only do that once a week. I've seen much more than that in a single night.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
zKTLTVV.png

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Did you know if you put a 2 dollar bill in a vending machine, it'll credit you $2.... I'm not kidding..

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm working at Starbucks, made drinks for a customer and her kid and then, she personally gives me a $2 bill for helping her out.

Are they pretty rare? It doesn't seem to be counterfeit and I never seen an actual $2 bill in the wild besides being hung up on walls at restaurants and the like.

Lol since at a cursory glance it doesn't seem like many people have given much of an answer, you don't see them a lot, but they're not terribly rare. It depends some - For example, I live in the San Jose area where there's a sizeable Vietnamese population, and $2 bills are considered lucky. My wife would get $2 and $20 bills from relatives at holidays growing up etc. Someome at my local Peet's (another coffee chain) tends to tip with them since they often have a couple in their tip jar.

Tattarus

Mar 16, 2018
Italy
When I lived in the US I received a couple of 2 dollar bills for tip too! Never heard of them until I got it in my hands...googled it and Yeah, it's 2 dollars.
Some people, I read it online, leave them as a tip as a way to make you remember them because they're the "2$ bill tip customer"