• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never been a fan of these guys overly cynical style of humor.

The sexist and racist comments are just further reason for me to stay away.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
I confess that I really look forward to the release of RLM videos, and aside from being funny I find them knowlegable and insightful (especially Jay).

However, yes, they do use "edgy" and transgressive humour (similar to Matt Stone and Trey Parker) that occasionally crosses the line. In particular I think Rich is too easily goaded into saying unacceptable things for the amusement of the others.

I kind of think if Patton Oswalt thinks they're okay, then they're okay.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I confess that I really look forward to the release of RLM videos, and aside from being funny I find them knowlegable and insightful (especially Jay).

However, yes, they do use "edgy" and transgressive humour (similar to Matt Stone and Trey Parker) that occasionally crosses the line. In particular I think Rich is too easily goaded into saying unacceptable things for the amusement of the others.

I don't know it's hard to take their snipes at Brie Larson as just "edgy humor."

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I think it says a lot about RLM that the quality of their content skyrockets when the 'faces of their brand', Mike and Rich, aren't in the videos.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Lindsay Ellis, Folding Ideas, Strucci Movies, Be Kind Rewind, Renegade Cut, Movies with Mikey, Patrick H. Willems, Pop Culture Detective

You're so unbelievably wrong about this.
Endorsing this list myself. I'd add Jack Saint, Lessons from the Screenplay & Nerdwriter1 to the list as well. Not all of them are 100% current, reviewing everything that comes out on a regular schedule but they're all worth getting even a quarter of the support that RLM gets.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

They've often shown to be more than simply edgy comedians, though. Rich, for example harbors toxic views, and basically said the women's March and other protests were bullshit, to stop crying because they didn't get who they wanted for president.

There are links and some quotes in the OP.

Also, you should never make judgments of people based on someone else's approval.

And ranting about Brie Larson for like ten minutes in the Cap Marvel video isn't a joke, no matter how much people want it to be.

At some point, you have to ask yourself why bigotry continues to surface in their content and why bigots flock to it.

It's not this way by accident.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Rich Evans is actively a terrible human being.

I never went to them for film insight, I just thought the original Plinket reviews were very entertaining.
Once they stopped doing that I didn't care for them as much, Half in the Bag is very hit or miss, but Best of the Worst is actually alright most of the time.

I know they can't fire Rich, but I wish they would never put him in another video again, because not only is he just the worst, he's also just fucking plain annoying.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I like Mike(mostly), Jay, Jack, Josh and Jessi. (Just realized all the Js.) I wish Jessi was still around.

I like Jim(another J)and Colin.

The Patton Oswalt episode is one of, if not the best episode of anything they've done.

Rich is an annoying human punching bag for Mike.

This part will be controversial. I don't like the Macaulay Culkin episodes at all. Idk why, but he annoys me.

I don't really watch HitB. The Worst series is the best and re:view is awesome.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like Mike(mostly), Jay, Jack, Josh and Jessi. (Just realized all the Js.) I wish Jessi was still around.

I like Jim(another J)and Colin.

The Patton Oswalt episode is one of, if not the best episode of anything they've done.

Rich is an annoying human punching bag for Mike.

This part will be controversial. I don't like the Macaulay Culkin episodes at all. Idk why, but he annoys me.

I don't really watch HitB. The Worst series is the best and re:view is awesome.

Yeh, i'm not a big fan either.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
there really isn't many better film channels. RLM is pretty good when they do HITB and even better when they do re:views
You don't watch many film channels on YouTube if RLM of the dozens stands out to you as the best film channel!
giphy.gif

Better film channels:

Mark Kermode
Breakfast All Day
Criswell
Renegade Cut
Patrick (H) Willems
Lindsay Ellis
Thomas Flight
Kaptainkristian
Now You See It
The Take
Karsten Runquist
Lessons From The Screenplay
Folding Ideas
Brows Held High
Rossatron
No Film School
Every Frame A Painting
Double Toasted
Wisecrack
Needs More Gay
Innuendo Studios
Movies With Mikey

Oct 2, 2018
You don't watch many film channels on YouTube if RLM of the dozens stands out to you as the best film channel!
giphy.gif

Better film channels:

Mark Kermode
Breakfast All Day

some of those you listed: Mark and Breakfast I can agree with. I also like the SJU reviews.

Some of the others are just the sort of overly verbose and pointless channels I dont have time for. Especially these:

Patrick (H) Willems
Lindsay Ellis

For me, Double toasted is unwatchable as they spend the 1st 2-3 minutes just laughing loudly into their microphones

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
some of those you listed: Mark and Breakfast I can agree with. I also like the SJU reviews.

Some of the others are just the sort of overly verbose and pointless channels I dont have time for. Especially these:

Patrick (H) Willems
Lindsay Ellis

For me, Double toasted is unwatchable as they spend the 1st 2-3 minutes just laughing loudly into their microphones
If I was gonna pick overly verbose from the film channels, Lindsay and Patrick would not be the ones lol, if anything they're quite layman speak. How are they pointless? How is RLM any less pointless than them?

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
This thread was not a response to RLM posting another Star Wars video. The timing is merely coincidence. This thread was something that was gestating for well over a month between myself and other members on Era. I volunteered to be the one to put it up and take the bullets that would be fired.

So no, this isn't some conspiracy and knee jerk response to yet another video RLM made. This was something that was thought out and researched ahead of time.

MAN_FLANNEL

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory drive-by in a sensitive topic; Account in Junior Phase; Prior infraction for similar behavior
Eh I find them funny

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I was pretty big into RLM around 2010-2015 but it's been increasingly harder over the years to stomach them and their reactionary behavior. I know this thread is old, but even if I'm not necessarily in favor of banning them, it's good to reflect on the kind of media you consume and what you're taking away from it.

But yeah, if South Park is allowed here, I don't see RLM being banned.

Oct 27, 2017
Besides that weird fixation they had on shitting on Brie Larson for a couple of weeks, they are still funny, and with the most odd tangents and interesting takes. And they most certainly have changed with the years. Sure, they don't grovel and crawl on the floor for past mistakes, but they are half dead from everything being Disney now, and from cirrhosis of the brain (except Rich, who is just dying).

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I think they have a lot of critiques of late capitalist culture that I agree with (even if theirs seem mostly half formed), but those also occasionally gets wrapped up in a dated anti-sjw-lite cringiness.

I still watch their stuff, but Mike is so thin-skinned and reactionary sometimes. Like in some recent video Jay corrected his pronunciation on La Llorona and he goes off into this whole "Oh right, right, because spanish with the double L's are like y's, like with "pollo"—that's spanish for chicken—oh sorry excuse me I never took spanish. So so sorry, I'll check my white male privilege" rant. Like they seem like generally good people on the right side of things, but just can't help but be reactionary and small whenever they feel they've been slighted or misunderstood in any way. Those are usually small moments in much larger videos, but I really can't blame people if they are turned off by those moments.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think they have a lot of critiques of late capitalist culture that I agree with (even if theirs seem mostly half formed), but those also occasionally gets wrapped up in a dated anti-sjw-lite cringiness.

I still watch their stuff, but Mike is so thin-skinned and reactionary sometimes. Like in some recent video Jay corrected his pronunciation on La Llorona and he goes off into this whole "Oh right, right, because spanish with the double L's are like y's, like with "pollo"—that's spanish for chicken—oh sorry excuse me I never took spanish. So so sorry, I'll check my white male privilege" rant. Like they seem like generally good people on the right side of things, but just can't help but be reactionary and small whenever they feel they've been slighted or misunderstood in any way. Those are usually small moments in much larger videos, but I really can't blame people if they are turned off by those moments.

I think Mike in particular just isn't good at being wrong. Rich Evans seems to revel in the attention he gets for being shitty and thus just says whatever the fuck he wants to get a reaction.

But Mike gets really defensive a lot, especially when disagreed with.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I think Mike in particular just isn't good at being wrong. Rich Evans seems to revel in the attention he gets for being shitty and thus just says whatever the fuck he wants to get a reaction.

But Mike gets really defensive a lot, especially when disagreed with.
Mike has very alpha nerd/bully energy, and that type of person is very bad at taking criticism or admitting they were wrong.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
RLM has always been lazy, lowest common denominator critique inextricably tainted by various members' bigoted cynicism — and as much as they love to mock the invocation of "white male privilege," it is oh-so-exceptionally-applicable to their viewpoints.

That anyone thinks of them as high tier film criticism is, if not surprising, worrying. I wouldn't object to them being a banned source here.

(And to preemptively deflect "ur mad they criticize star wars" trolling: naw, I criticize Star Wars; I'm not a big fan of the ST for various reasons.)

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Jack and Josh are easily the most likeable of the gang. Rich probably seems the most shamelessly bigoted, followed by Mike. Jay at least seems somewhat more progressive.

Most of their videos they tow the line enough not to bother me that much though I really didn't like the video where they whined about Brie Larson for like 15 minutes. Made them seem like wounded manbabies.

I do enjoy their cynical perspective except when they're punching down, especially on issues of representation, which is unfortunate.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Never been able to watch their "legendary" *cough* prequel reviews because the VO is utterly infuriating. So annoying.

This just clarifies it for me.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
They are unfunny, insufferable trash.
Did you say trash?
serveimage

@Topic

Honestly, I still wonder how people keep watching their stuff. They had like one funny thing by riffing on the prequels, and then tried to make it into a larger production, except they never evolved or changed.
Like a lot of comedy on Youtube, it just tries to milk the same humour endlessly. I get why they are doing it, but it's baffling to me how it keeps drawing a steady fan base
And that's just talking about the quality of the videos, the bigotry is like icing on the cake

Oct 27, 2017
Use to watch them a lot.

Rich is a racist/sexist asshole (always has been). Mike is the quintessential man-baby when any topic of white straight privilege comes up. Jay is the only one of the original three, who I still think is cool. He's just always either lets Rich and Mike be awful or doesn't push back hard enough.

I stopped watching when someone pointed me to the clip of Rich doing that wildly racist "ching-chong" bit.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Simple question for those saying they still like them:

Do you have any issues with Rich Evans going on a Twitch livestream and angrily and seriously ranting about women marching for abortion rights in DC and how he feels they should let Donald Trump do his job?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Simple question for those saying they still like them:

Do you have any issues with Rich Evans going on a Twitch livestream and angrily and seriously ranting about women marching for abortion rights in DC and how he feels they should let Donald Trump do his job?
Yes I have an issue with that, though I've had issues with Rich way before that happened.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've never liked RLM. They come off as insufferable, thin-skinned neckbeards. I'm also tired of the boring nihilistic cynicism masked as insightful critique of entertainment media, and that's not exclusive to RLM. It does nothing to add to any genuine discourse, and just waters down and distracts from engaging discussion

squallmx

Oct 25, 2017
I like them, they are self admitted white trash, 95% of their content is issue free, I can stomach the problematic 5%, Mike is evidently the more thin skinned, Jay is the more leftist and Rich is their diet racist friend.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Yes, I came to realize that truth. Their content also feels like forced criticism nowadays, the only very good thing they made is that Nerd Crew.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I can't honestly say I never liked their content, but finding out what Rich really is was disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
they're shit critics who make videos for the lowest common denominator. Their content is only "insightful" to clueless people.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've never liked RLM. They come off as insufferable, thin-skinned neckbeards. I'm also tired of the boring nihilistic cynicism masked as insightful critique of entertainment media, and that's not exclusive to RLM. It does nothing to add to any genuine discourse, and just waters down and distracts from engaging discussion

None of them have neckbeards.