• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's ridiculous is what it is. She dared to have an opinion and white dudes lost their shit.
Why are you assuming both that poster's gender and race? Also, saying "she comes off as smug" isn't the same as losing one's shit. I don't agree that she comes off that way, but this is a pretty bullshit response to it.
Whoever told you all opinions are valid lied to you.
Whoever told you that you get to decide which opinions are and aren't valid lied to you.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I think anyone who has seen my posts here knows that I'm a very liberal, very progressive and easy to react type of person but lumping in RLM with those names is reckless and lessen the negative impact of what people like Keemstar, Grace Randolph and the others listed do.
Yeah, RLM is in no way shape or form anything like fucking Sargon. RLM saying some shitty things doesn't make them into this guy:

You're either diminishing how awful of a human being Sargon is or you're being extremely hyperbolic. You can be critical of RLM without resorting to such insane extremes.

Whoever told you that you get to decide which opinions are and aren't valid lied to you.
So you're saying my opinion isn't valid? 🤔

Sep 3, 2018
but a friend of mine doesn't like that they made the little mermaid black in the upcoming movie for example. I won't cancel that friendship because of that, and I won't unsubscribe from a yt channel because of that either.
I don't think this is a good example for what you're doing here because while this is just "problematic" to you, it's a huge red flag for a lot of people.
So, if this is the bar, then yes. I'd be comfortable dropping someone like that.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
I don't keep friends who complain about diversity, no.

I think people who out up with sexists/racists just to have "friends" are really sad.
Real life situations are much more complicated than that though. For example, My wife has a friend, and the friends husband recently moved to germany to be with her and her kid. We sometimes meet with them, since my wife likes the woman and we come from a smaller city so the number of children with likable parents in the age of our son is limited. The husband is a generally nice guy, but he just told me he voted for trump the other day. So I have 2 options now:
1: suck it up and let my wife and kid be happy with their friends
2: throw a handgrenade in there and debate the guy until we can't meet anymore and destroy the friendships of my wife and my kid.

I don't think not chosing option 2 makes me a "sad person"

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why are you assuming both that poster's gender and race? Also, saying "she comes off as smug" isn't the same as losing one's shit. I don't agree that she comes off that way, but this is a pretty bullshit response to it.

Well, first of all it says "male" in that poster's profile and secondly I just can't imagine any rational person who isn't a fragile white male taking issue with anything Larson has said (or the way she has said it, whatever that means).

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah RLM is not comparable to people like Sargon or Jontron. They still say problematic stuff that deserves to be called out on, though.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
They ruined any actual conversation about the Star Wars prequels years ago so I could never stand them lol. Only heard stuff on here about them since and it's just seemed like garbage personally.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I never liked their shtick. Sure, they're entertaining and occasionally insightful in rare moments, but it's hard watching grown-ass men in their 40's constantly hating on everything like a snobby 15 year old. And often time's they're so gloomy on future films they get things downright wrong - projecting their own petulance onto projects (like in the "endless trash" gif, in which Wonder Woman and It are plainly visible - talk about getting shit wrong). They're man babies, in short.

The one thing I do agree with, though, is that Brie Larson generally comes off as smug and arrogant. Regardless of the message and the wider implications.

So. She's a bad ass in the film. A fucking ace pilot with super powers. What, should she be giggly and curtsying?

Robert Downy Jr / Tony Stark takes smugness and arrogance to new heights and no one ever complains about him.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Thread reopened. Please note the following:
  1. While it is correct to note that Plinkett is a satirical character, it is not difficult to tell what messages Plinkett videos are trying to sincerely convey. As noted in the OP, some of these messages are problematic and should not be handwaved just because Plinkett is a character.
  2. It is possible to enjoy something while also recognizing that it has problematic elements. Do not defend those problematic elements just because you enjoy the content.
  3. Do not attack members simply for consuming or enjoying Red Letter Media content.
  4. There will not be a blanket ban on Red Letter Media content.
  5. As always be civil and constructive with your fellow members.
Why? They shown who they are?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still find them funny and still watch their content (latest Best of the Worst was fantastic). That being said, their hate boner for Captain Marvel and Brie Larson is just obnoxious at this point with how much it keeps popping up randomly in videos.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Love Red Letter Media despite the questionable content; mostly coming from Rich Evans.
Just want to note that Patton Oswalt is showing up for a guest appearance as well on a future Best of the Worst.

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
User Banned (1 month): Excusing racist jokes, ignoring staff post; previous severe ban for dismissing bigotry.
I enjoy a good chunk of their content, I do wish they would replace Rich, he just doesn't really bring anything interesting to the conversations.

The problematic language OP outlined I interpret as just satirical or played out jokes for the purpose of being satirical and played out. I highly doubt they are trying to push a bigoted agenda, and if people are being radicalized or their racist/sexist beliefs are strengthened because of a 6 second joke in a 15 minute video then I'm not going to blame the creator of that video.

And for every problematic quip they have entire discussions gushing about movies like Us, Get Out, or specific actresses; Jay says Daisy Ridley carried TFA because she was so charismatic, and both of them liked Daphne Keen in Logan.

Oct 25, 2017

People wouldn't be talking about her being smug if not for the controversy.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I didn't lump them in. They weren't in that post. I was responding to the person saying we should never ban topics.

Some of you have some appalling reading comprehension.
My reading comprehension is fine. The last line of the 2-line post you replied to is RE: RLM and you apparently replied to the first line. Delete the bits you aren't replying to, or highlight the bits you are. And when others are confused by your poor posting hygiene, definitely don't start compounding your behavior by insulting them.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
What's the problem with Disney seeing an economic benefit to diversity? It's literally the same argument many progressives and Democrats make about keeping America diverse. And it's true. You get more money if more people enjoy what you're selling and diversity in media helps. It used to be mostly only white peoples has money and power, so most movies were for them and had them. But that's changing.

I agree we shouldn't applaud Disney as altruistic, and you're right that they played it safe with the directors (too safe in regards to Solo), but it's also true they take some risk lately that seems to be paying off with global audiences because, duh, there a millions of people around the world who want to see more Black Panthers, Mulans, Captain Marvels, and yeah, diversity in Star Wars.

I can't really disagree with what you said, but it just feels a little icky for them to only promote diversity because it makes them more money rather than it being the right thing to do.

Oct 31, 2017
Real life situations are much more complicated than that though. For example, My wife has a friend, and the friends husband recently moved to germany to be with her and her kid. We sometimes meet with them, since my wife likes the woman and we come from a smaller city so the number of children with likable parents in the age of our son is limited. The husband is a generally nice guy, but he just told me he voted for trump the other day. So I have 2 options now:
1: suck it up and let my wife and kid be happy with their friends
2: throw a handgrenade in there and debate the guy until we can't meet anymore and destroy the friendships of my wife and my kid.

I don't think not chosing option 2 makes me a "sad person"

First of all, real life situations range from complicated to simple and are still real life situations.

In real life, you're not even describing a friendship between you and the trump voter. He's just your wife's friend's husband and more like an acquaintance, based on what you described.

You first brought up friendship but now you're talking about your wife and kid's friends.... wtf

In real life, I've dumped childhood friends who support trump because hanging around them when they obviously don't care for my well being would be sad.

In real life, I don't have the privilege nor desire to tolerate trump people outside of work anymore than I have to, certainly not to the point of wanting to share my time and friendship with people who clearly don't give a fuck about me or people like me.

Hanging out with people who don't give a fuck about you just to say you have "friends" is pitifully sad shit, especially for anyone older than teen age, to me.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Been slowly watching their videos less and less as I began to notice this stuff over the last few years. I thought the negative reaction to their Ghostbusters vid was overblown because I thought it actually made some good points about the filmmakers' intent and how that was a bad fit for that property (improv humor vs written jokes). But then shit like the TFA plinkett review or the Captain Marvel review happens and it's like, oh y'all are really starting to pander to this anti-SJW crowd huh.

Then I saw the Godzilla / X-Men HITB go up and was curious to hear their thoughts because I had just seen both of those movies and part of me does still enjoy their content. And outta fuckin nowhere Mike makes that lazy, stupid fucking joke about assuming Godzilla's gender and I literally said out loud "What the fuck?" Like with the Captain Marvel thing they were able to get away with this type of shit because of their whole "Corporations are only progressive because it's profitable now" (which, side-note, no shit? RLM brings no insight to this topic beyond pointing it out), but nothing about Godzilla's marketing, the people involved, etc. was broaching the topic of gender pronouns. That's just some shit that's on Mike's mind. Seemed like a pretty revealing moment.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
This is going to be quite the read… I've only ever found the captain marvel and ghostbusters reviews problematic which is weird because there's plenty to take issue with in both of those films without devolving your dialogue

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like with the Captain Marvel thing they were able to get away with this type of shit because of their whole "Corporations are only progressive because it's profitable now" (which, side-note, no shit? RLM brings no insight to this topic beyond pointing it out)

If you aren't up to date on the lingo, "Corporate Wokeness" is definitely the way a lot of genre-savvy bigots hide their bigotry these days. There are people with legit gripes but-- SHOCK HORROR-- the shitheads leapt onto lingo and arguments and reappropriated them. As they do. It's the new "virtue signalling". Everything old is new again, etc, etc, etc.

yep, not sure how they got a rabid fanbase here

This place isn't nearly as progressive as you'd think. It's just better than the alternatives.

Last edited:

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Official Staff Communication

1. While it is correct to note that Plinkett is a satirical character, it is not difficult to tell what messages Plinkett videos are trying to sincerely convey.
It very obviously is difficult, or else the OP wouldn't be littered with poor examples of "RLM bigotry" that include in-character Plinkett throwaway lines about "Malaysians" being "no good" and "dirty," which TO ME is pretty obviously their attempt at having their character be weird and cranky for comedic affect, and not RLM taking the podium to label the people from a randomly-selected tiny island country as inferior. It's a common joke premise where an old person has some anachronistic, weirdly-specific problem with something, like in this old Grandpa Simpson clip.

Last edited:

Deleted member 37303

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Seems like a thread on them pops up here every couple months and it's always the same stuff being criticized. People here love to label them Alt-Right or even better, "Alt-Right Adjacent." Whatever the fuck that even means. There's zero room for nuance with anything. It's always black or white. Left or Alt-Right. Fully woke or a Nazi. But when people try to compare these guys to those who are genuinely all around shitty Alt-Right fuckers, it's laughable.

You can think their jokes are in bad taste or "problematic." That's fine. Don't watch. But they are far from being Alt-Right. Whenever they have a serious conversation about things like women in film or diversity they're always strongly in favor of it (HitB's for Annihilation, Suicide Squad, Furious 7), but they call "bullshit" when it's used as a disingenuous marketing tactic for corporations to try and boost their box office totals.

I fully admit I'm biased here. I've been watching them for years. I buy all their commentary tracks. I back them on Patreon. And I'm going to keep doing all those things and never once feel the slightest bit of guilt over it because they're two drunk fucks (and Rich Evans) in Milwaukee bitching about movies. They have no real influence on anything much less anything of any significance. But they are good for a laugh. They don't take themselves seriously. I don't take them seriously and I really don't get why so many people here seem to.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
So. She's a bad ass in the film. A fucking ace pilot with super powers. What, should she be giggly and curtsying?

Robert Downy Jr / Tony Stark takes smugness and arrogance to new heights and no one ever complains about him.

I find Robert Downey Jr. equally obnoxious if that helps. I generally don't like arrogant people. I don't think that necessarily means I want women to be subservient.

Oct 25, 2017
Never understood how so many people here found them entertaining, I watched a few videos that were posted here and on the old place and found them very cringey bordering on offensive

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I find Robert Downey Jr. equally obnoxious if that helps. I generally don't like arrogant people. I don't think that necessarily means I want women to be subservient.

That's cool, respect. I just find it odd in wider social media how people harp on about Brie Larson's Captain Marvel when there are a legion of examples of smug, arrogant characters in action films from the past ten years but people love them. Even female characters, like all of Angelina Jolie's action characters for example.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
It very obviously is difficult, or else the OP wouldn't be littered with poor examples of "RLM bigotry" that include in-character Plinkett throwaway lines about "Malaysians" being "no good" and "dirty," which TO ME is pretty obviously their attempt at having their character be weird and cranky for comedic affect, and not RLM taking the podium to label the people from a randomly-selected tiny island country as inferior. It's a common joke premise where an old person has some anachronistic, weirdly-specific problem with something, like in this old Grandpa Simpson clip.

TC didn't bring up Rich talking about tr***ies, or their multiple other out-of-character transphobic "attack helicopter"-like jokes. OP is not an exhaustive list of them being bad.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Not being familiar, is the Plinkett character criticized or demonized in any way? Does he get his comeuppance? Is there any effort made to establish that this is not a person that you're supposed to agree with?

A lot of bad attempts at edgy humour present naked bigotry, and fall back on the defense of "well obviously I don't agree with it" while doing nothing to actually make that obvious. While the intent may not actually be harmful, it still ends up sharing bigotry for the audience to enjoy and doing nothing to justify spreading it, but provides enough of a veneer of plausible deniability to shield from the consequences that sharing that same bigotry may otherwise bring.

Oct 25, 2017
Not being familiar, is the Plinkett character criticized or demonized in any way? Does he get his comeuppance? Is there any effort made to establish that this is not a person that you're supposed to agree with?

A lot of bad attempts at edgy humour present naked bigotry, and fall back on the defense of "well obviously I don't agree with it" while doing nothing to actually make that obvious. While the intent may not actually be harmful, it still ends up sharing bigotry for the audience to enjoy and doing nothing to justify spreading it, but provides enough of a veneer of plausible deniability to shield from the consequences that sharing that same bigotry may otherwise bring.

I wouldn't say that there is an especially strong attempt to make Plinkett look bad, no. The way Plinkett is framed is that you're expected to already not agree with the things he's saying, but to people who do agree, what he says can be taken as serious belief.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. nor do they need to do that either.

Last edited:

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I can't really disagree with what you said, but it just feels a little icky for them to only promote diversity because it makes them more money rather than it being the right thing to do.

I know. I get what you're saying too. But I think too many people like those at RLM hide behind the "Disney just wants money" argument disingenuously, as if they really expected every movie to always only be about the "art" and shouldn't be "about forced diversity."

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching them years ago not necessarily due to this, but thinking back at what I remember from them it's pretty obvious they always were nto edgy 4chan-esque humour.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not being familiar, is the Plinkett character criticized or demonized in any way?
He's a psychopathic serial kidnapper/murderer. There is one other character of the Plinkett reviews, and she is a sympathetic character, an escaped former victim who schemes to come back and kill him in revenge, but even if she weren't there, at no point is the Plinkett of the Plinkett reviews normal enough to appear like a character to model your behaviour or beliefs on. He's also depicted as being the height of white trash.

The reviews sort of come across as the work of a killer in a slasher or Texas Chainsaw Massacre film.

Last edited:

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever agree to any idea that "You should not be allowed to talk about X or Y on this forum". If the mods decide that I'll follow the rules, but I personally think its insane to say certain ideas or people are to never be discussed. If the people are unpopular then discussion will just die naturally.

To me it just exposes the weakness of some peoples beliefs, when they are angry that something they dislike is not hated by everyone else and they feel their only recourse is to ban all discussion of that idea or topic.
I agree that it's not like these guys should be on some unforgivable ban list, but they really haven't gotten as much flack as they should for some of their shit, and I'm more than fine with it getting called out. They don't seem like shitty people at their core, just the kind of priveleged white dudes who are sometimes aggressively ignorant. They won't change unless they're called out for it ( I actually think some people here have posted examples of them back tracking a few statements in the past ).

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that so many of the defenses are basically "Yeah, they did these shitty things, but they also did these other non-shitty things, so they're actually okay" is really just sad.

This is not a game of points where you get to cancel out every bad thing you if you just do another good thing later. Doing the good doesn't cancel out doing the bad, and if you keep doing the bad stuff without showing any real attempts to change or show remorse, that generally just means you're bad, full stop, no matter how many good things you try to do to counter it.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I only watch their best of the worst stuff and their re:views. They highlight racist and problematic stuff quite often, but it looks like they also go in the other direction beeing cynical to the "SJW"