• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to use them as a test, most of the time. i disregard whenever they dislike a movie, as most of the time, it comes of as ''in my time'', or the "everything is hero movies, shit sucks now". when they actually like a movie, i watch it, tho it's never based solely on them.
that said, since Ghostbusters, and recently Cap Marvel, ive started to get more and more bothered. Because Rich rarely appears on HitB(all i watch from them), i wasn't aware of this. eesh
Haven't watched them in years, but didn't know they were trash until today. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

It'd be great if YouTube had an "ignore content by these creators" feature, as the film stuff I do watch sometimes throws up a RLM thumbnail. Never clicking on those again.
they actually implemented it last month, i think. if not, there's multiple blocking addons for browsers.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
RLM is some of the funniest stuff on Youtube, but Mike definitely has woman hating energy, Jay can be a weird little creep, and Rich has not grown out of that phase where saying something really gross or inappropriate is comedy. The occasional unfortunate take but mostly harmless. This isn't red pilling or white nationalism disguised as movie reviews.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Most of those films were bad, and the few that were good you can qualify as part of the endless sea of super hero films or remakes.

Lol

"They were wrong but in a way that makes them right"

IT and Wonder Woman were literally the hits of the summer.

Power Rangers put a ton of heart into the characters and was hardly trash

Please

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RLM is some of the funniest stuff on Youtube, but Mike definitely has woman hating energy, Jay can be a weird little creep, and Rich has not grown out of that phase where saying something really gross or inappropriate is comedy. The occasional unfortunate take but mostly harmless. This isn't red pilling or white nationalism disguised as movie reviews.
No it's not. How do you think sexist and racist ideas spread?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I don't remember really when I stopped giving them clicks or even the reason why, but it was around 2 years ago and for the reasons enlisted by PhoncipleBone on his OP, which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
RLM has always been wack. I really can't stand youtube channels that aren't related to food anyways. Never understood the love for gaming and film/tv based youtube personalities. I'll enjoy the occasional video breaking down a game or film but I don't see the reason why they end up with cult followings.

Mandius

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Drive by, Trolling in a sensitive topic
I was radicalised by Lightning Fast VCR Repair.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Also what's with this push to ban discussion of e every single thing that a portion of the site disagrees with? Just ignore threads about those things; it's not like the forum is totally riddled with RLM threads other than the community OT and the multiple threads we've had today to call them out.
I understand some serially problematic people getting silenced here, like Boogie, but I don't think RLM has nearly the problem/content ratio that Boogie does, given that they mostly talk innocuous shit about movies outside of the few instances in the OP.
I think with youtubers its less about banning discussion outright and more about not wanting to use the forum to make threads that promote videos that gives them ad revenue. Like if Mike or Rich posted the stuff they said on Era they'd be banned so its seems reasonable not to host their content.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
No thanks Jeff. Fucking love RLM.
HitB and Best of the Worst are great. So are their Re:views.

Their opinions on movies are closer to mine than any other reviewers, making them the most reliable reviews for me.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Lol

Please

This is a good job of avoiding context of the video in question and only reacting to the gif. The whole point of the video was the creative bankruptcy of Hollywood largely because of endless remakes, sequels, and super hero movies.

And power rangers was awful, so they got 5/7 right even isolating that gif, that puts them at a better ratio for predicting if something will be good or bad then the average era user.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
And like I said if someone being a racist and sexist doesn't stop you from watching them that says something about you. Not very good things.
Watching content is not endorsing their every viewpoint, of which they have more than a few bad ones. You are free to have that standard for yourself that you will not consume any content by anyone who has ever had a problematic viewpoint, but I don't elect to do the same. If that means that Icemonk191 from ResetEra thinks less of me, then I'll have to find a way to cope.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't watch them because I don't enjoy their content or find them funny. I rather watch Double Toasted any day over them.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Or the Brie Larson thing, they mostly complained about how she is acting like a bastion of gender equality while just being a rich white actress from Hollywood who made a mediocre movie and nothing else. They also praised Daisy Ridley constantly when TFA came out and if they were sexists wouldn't they have joined the hate against her?
Brie Larson might be a rich white actress but whatever bearing you think that has on her, or anyone's, feminism is irrelevant to a review of Captain Marvel.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
I tend to think of them the same way I view some of the dumb shit my band mates would say in the van while on tour. Half of what makes it funny to them is the idea of who can "out-awful" each other the most. Especially Rich Evans. He reminds me of so many people I've known who...while knowing what's right...will just say the contrarian thing because it gets a rise out of people.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think with youtubers its less about banning discussion outright and more about not wanting to use the forum to make threads that promote videos that gives them ad revenue. Like if Mike or Rich posted the stuff they said on Era they'd be banned so its seems reasonable not to host their content.
Okay, but how often does that happen, really? All I've seen for some time are threads shitting on the channel (rightfully in most cases) for problematic viewpoints. I haven't seen much in the way of promotional threads, as most of that just goes on in the OT.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Also what's with this push to ban discussion of every single thing that a portion of the site disagrees with? Just ignore threads about those things; it's not like the forum is totally riddled with RLM threads other than the community OT and the multiple threads we've had today to call them out.
I understand some serially problematic people getting silenced here, like Boogie, but I don't think RLM has nearly the problem/content ratio that Boogie does, given that they mostly talk innocuous shit about movies outside of the few instances in the OP.

Their popularity or racism/non-racism ratio doesn't obscure the bigoted things they've said. Someone can write thousands of reviews and out themselves with a single sentence. Why is redlettermedia suddenly the exception?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Almost all of their criticism is aimed at corporate cynicism that is about coopting progressive topics for movie sales and marketing.

And you're also getting mad at Plinkett, who is literally a character. His character is an old, racist, sexist, murderer who kidnaps people and chains them to his heater and forces them to watch Star Wars movies. It's a caricature.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you got Tony Zhou, Lindsay Ellis, Dan Olson, Lessons from the Screenplay, etc.

I feel like you would know this lol
Every Frame a Painting spawned a lot of really cool channels that took inspiration from his style. RLM spawned a lot of endless cynical and abrasive trash that took inspiration from their style.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I used to follow them pretty closely (I still have a Half in the Bag bottle opener just a few inches from my keyboard), but there were a handful of "sjw" references where I couldn't tell if they were being jokey or not, and then that Ghostbusters video that seemed to be using a somewhat valid point to smooth over some tellingly defensive feelings, and I finally had to tap out after they got to the "forced diversity" nonsense with TFA.

Even if that side of the group hadn't started to come out, I think I still would have drifted away by now. Like many people I found my way to them via the Plinkett TPM review, but those videos eventually seemed to become the final step along the path of online Star Wars fandom as a whole defining itself by hatred of half of Star Wars, sneering and cynical. See also that Nerd Crew thing going from a one-off gag to being a recurring series needlessly dunking on people who have the nerve to be enthusiastic about something

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol

Please

Is this about the endless trash meme?
Those movies weren't out yet when they did that.
EVERYONE thought that IT 2017 was going to be awful at one point.
Wonder Woman was coming off of BvS.
The previous attempt at a Power Rangers movie was a massive failure.

Oh, and they ended up liking all three of those movies.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Almost all of their criticism is aimed at corporate cynicism that is about coopting progressive topics for movie sales and marketing.
There is certainly a lot of that, but they also certainly say some objectionable shit outside of that lens.

That said, I still find BotW to be some of my favorite content on YouTube. Sometimes my buddies and I will hunt down the best (the Last Vampire) to get blitzed and watch together. It's a good format.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I, for one, am truly shocked that someone by the name of NoMoreTrolls would, in fact, a be troll.

So we cancel RLM now?

they been cancelled for years bruh

And you're also getting mad at Plinkett, who is literally a character. His character is an old, racist, sexist, murderer who kidnaps people and chains them to his heater and forces them to watch Star Wars movies. It's a caricature.

you failed to even read the OP:
Rhetoric like this would not be tolerated by anyone on this forum, joking or not, and we shouldn't continue to promote those who say such rhetoric. And if it is just a joke, then why do the themes and values continue into their non-character reviews and casual conversations about what they truly believe?

somehow I doubt you clicked on a single link

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They have directly attacked Brie Larson and her feminist views. She isn't a corporation.

Rich Evans attacked women who take part in the women's march. They aren't a corporation.

more bigotry

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

What does the Women's March have to do with corporate cynicism?

What about this?

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of angry neckbeards that want to hate everything new. No thanks.

It's so clear they hate the new Star Wars films because they don't degrade women anymore.

That's not why they don't like Star Wars. Look at their review of Annihilation. It's glowing and that's a new unique idea with a diverse all woman cast.

Last edited:

Kitad

Banned
Feb 15, 2018
Brie Larson might be a rich white actress but whatever bearing you think that has on her, or anyone's, feminism is irrelevant to a review of Captain Marvel.

Huh? But they've always made fun of the personalities beneath the films. Did you not see the Plinkett reviews and how much they tear into George's psyche? Same thing with TLJ. Rian Johnson was almost the star of that review. They also shitted on both Bill Murray and Paul Fieg on the Ghostbusters review.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I, for one, am truly shocked that someone by the name of NoMoreTrolls would, in fact, a be troll.

they been cancelled for years bruh

you failed to even read the OP:

somehow I doubt you clicked on a single link
I am sharing genuine views about the channel, which I have already stated to have problematic views. What part of my posts in here constitute trolling? Is anything you find disagreeable trolling?
If this is the way the discussion is headed from here on out, I'll bow out of this thread before further accusations fly. I'm happy to continue talking about it over DMs, with the assurance that I have been genuine in this thread about still enjoying the majority of their content despite their sometimes problematic views. I'm truly nonplussed at the trolling accusation, and apologize if anyone mistook my posts as a dishonest or bad faith argument.

Last edited:

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Cool, so no comment on the bigotry then?
Them in a nutshell:
KPAGgUy.jpg

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Don't these guys weave racist and sexist jokes into their content?

If that's the case, I don't know how anyone can watch those videos and claim it's just entertainment and doesn't affect them, unless you tolerate that kind of behavior.