• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 30, 2018
assuming your credit score is decent, you should be able to do better than that.
Even with garbage credit on an FHA streamline he should be in the 3s

It's been too long since I've checked my credit, but it should be pretty decent. Guess I may call and see if that's the best they can do; if not, then I guess I'll go to a local broker and see what they can do.

One question I have, and it may have been answered in another reply, is what's required upfront. The one appeal of using our loan originator is that most fees were being waived, but I would assume I'm on the hook for closing costs at least, right? If so, can all those be rolled into the balance?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Broski you have a 5.375% 🤯
You need to refinance. You can add all the closing costs to your loan balance. The $3500 you Finance will pale in comparison to the $100,000+ you will save in interest over the life of the loan
I didn't think of that. Maybe I should really look into this. Thanks!

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
My wife works in the industry. They are all on salary but are going in tomorrow to ask for overtime pay.

OP
OP
AbsoluteZero0K

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
How much do you actually save by refinancing to a shorter loan vs just paying the extra on a longer one? I'm currently paying off a 30-year loan at a rate that will see it paid off around 21 years in.

YMMV. Gotta look at your amortization schedule and add all the interest you'd pay in the six-year difference minus closing costs.

I do home loans for a big bank.
I can attest to the craziness of the market for the last 3 weeks.
The Feds dropping the rate has only made things even more insane.

I take on what I can, but there is only so many hours in a day. LOL

p.s. If you have Mortgage Insurance, you should always be looking to refinance and get away from that the moment you can. Literally throwing money away.

Get a quote from another lender. Bring it to your current lender. tell them to match or beat it.
But honestly, you have a great rate for a 30yr. Shouldn't stop you from trying to get even better though.

Godspeed to you.

ANd yea, I don't remember if I put this in the OP or not, but my MIP would total $48k if I did not refinance. EFF THAT NOISE!!!

This thread is a good read. We are deciding to either buy a home this year in Orlando or pack up our shit and move to the west coast but we would need to rent for a bit before buying of course. Good to hear though that now is a good time to buy.

WARNING: it's a seller's market, so if you're moving to an in-demand area like SoCal, whew, it's gonna be nasty due to he demand.

So I just got a letter from my loan originator last week offering to refinance from our 30 year FHA that we got in 2011 at 4.625% to a new rate of 4.375%. It's supposed to drop our payment, interest, and mortgage insurance each month by $155, but it adds another $2000 to our balance (a little under $117,000). I'll play around with some of the calculators, but is that worthwhile at all?

Don't. Every time you refinance, you're essentially "purchasing" a new loan. All those fees and such line the pockets of lots of folks.

Outside of this COVID-19 special, the rule of thumb is to refinance if you can get at least 1% off your interest rate. So for you, that would be 3.6%.

My current mortgage was also 4.6%, which is why I started applying at 3.8% ( I was itching). I can get sub-3.0% and you should try, too.

My wife works in the industry. They are all on salary but are going in tomorrow to ask for overtime pay.

Bless her heart.

Oct 27, 2017
Yo I made this for the ResetEra brethren. I hope it gives you guys a decent breakdown of what you're dealing with

Thanks for that! You explained it very well, I had a loan mod years ago with a 4% rate but have a good amount of equity and want to see if it makes sense for me to try and refi or take money out for home repairs. I have decent credit not good that I've been repairing over the years. I'm on the west coast as well I'll be sending you a message.

Mar 30, 2018
Don't. Every time you refinance, you're essentially "purchasing" a new loan. All those fees and such line the pockets of lots of folks.

Outside of this COVID-19 special, the rule of thumb is to refinance if you can get at least 1% off your interest rate. So for you, that would be 3.6%.

My current mortgage was also 4.6%, which is why I started applying at 3.8% ( I was itching). I can get sub-3.0% and you should try, too.

Thanks! I figured that the 30 years starts over, but I wasn't aware that I could get my rates down so low. Maybe finance would have been a better career than physics...

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I didn't think of that. Maybe I should really look into this. Thanks!

Yeah bro I mean look at this:
I'm just going to assume you purchased at $350,000 at 3.5% down.
This is the total interest you would pay over the course of 30 years:
This is a great site by the way: https://www.mortgagecalculator.org/

gUGihSA.jpg

If you switched to a 15 Year you would drop it by half easily. For this scenario I didn't even factor in the lower balance you likely have right now

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Did the math on mine and it doesn't really seem worth it. Got a 30 year at 4.25% that I'll have paid off 24 years early, and would only save around $1500 if I refinanced to a 2.5%. Add closing costs to that and I'd actually lose money.

OP
OP
AbsoluteZero0K

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Yo I made this for the ResetEra brethren. I hope it gives you guys a decent breakdown of what you're dealing with

I threadmarked this.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. It might make some folks a little confused, but it's important that folks do their homework and shop around!

Mortgages are "products" that banks sell. They are trying to make money off these things, so be careful of banks trying to charge you huge origination fees.

I recommend credit unions over banks if you can. My origination fee is about $800.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
What's the incentive for banks to refinance?

I get switching to a different bank, they will offer a lower rate for you just to get your business.

But what about sticking with the same bank? If I went in tomorrow, why would they say yes to refinancing?

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

I get switching to a different bank, they will offer a lower rate for you just to get your business.

But what about sticking with the same bank? If I went in tomorrow, why would they say yes to refinancing?

If you have a retail bank (BofA, Chase, Wells etc) they don't really want to do a huge refinance on you cause they are losing thousands upon thousands long term. That's why so many of them are freezing the rates and pushing refinances to 60-90 day closes. They offset the refinance though on some clients if you have a decent amount of other accounts with them but yeah banks hate drops this drastic.

I threadmarked this.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. It might make some folks a little confused, but it's important that folks do their homework and shop around!

Glad it helped. Mortgages are confusing beasts and your absolutely right that they will take advantage if they can. Best advice is to treat them like car salesman.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
I finally decided to refiance last month (closed mid-feb) when rates dropped, but I didn't expect them to drop much further. Not a huge deal since I got a 3.375%, but it's crazy to see them between the range of 2.75 - 3% (depending on points)

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Your bank will charge you closing costs which they will get up front and the probably sell your mtg to another lender within 30 days.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I'm in the UK on 2.8% for 5 years fixed, 25 year term. Two years ago that seemed sensible with Brexit being up in the air and supposedly imminent. The government and the EU have dragged it all out as long as possible which is either minimizing the consequences or simply delaying the fallout and I suspect it's the latter. I'm keeping a close eye on everything over the next couple of years because we already have a good rate and don't really wanna see any precipitous falls in value or any rate hikes - but so far we're looking like being in equity. Wondering whether we try and get another fixed period soonish before shit potentially gets volatile.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
I'm sort of in the same boat. Got a 4.125%... So it will take me about 2-3 years to recoup the closing costs, and it's very possible we move before then...

But this whole process reminded me that with my house value going up I just recently crossed the 80% value threshold so I can now get rid of my PMI! Woo!

Does increased value matter for removing PMI? I always assumed it was 80% of the original loan value. I am hoping you say yes, because I am in the same boat.

OP
OP
AbsoluteZero0K

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019

The incentive for banks to refinance is the origination fee.

Banks make money just by creating the loan. Interest isn't guaranteed money, but investors will speculate the profits nevertheless.

Watch the threadmark. Bruceleeroy shows what banks look to make just by generating a mortgage. Some will be out to get ya.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
So assuming a good lender, what fees are to be expected? Appraisal, underwriting, processing?

Not counting your taxes and Insurance $2000 - $3000 but again you can negotiate no fees just make sure the lender isn't raising your rate to ABSORB those fees. I always just make the banks fight each other - get pre-qualified at one and make the other beat it then right before ordering appraisal squeeze them one last time

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
So I just got a letter from my loan originator last week offering to refinance from our 30 year FHA that we got in 2011 at 4.625% to a new rate of 4.375%. It's supposed to drop our payment, interest, and mortgage insurance each month by $155, but it adds another $2000 to our balance (a little under $117,000). I'll play around with some of the calculators, but is that worthwhile at all?

That rate is way too high. Go to another lender and shop the rate.

Why are condo rates so much worse?

currently at 4.625% and would like to lower that.

bought it 6 months ago and payment of principal and interest is only like $680

HOA and escrow is $1170 or so monthly.

i originally out 20% down and original amountof loan was $132,400

Current principal is $130,800

I make over $100k before taxes with a credit score just above 800, I've put in some info into refinancing but can't get any condo rates down below 4.5 or so. Thoughts?

I'm doing several condos right now locked in the 3's. My guess is you were looking at the wrong times, or went to the wrong lenders?

BlackNMild2k1

Thanks for your advice. You sound really knowledgeable. Are you a loan officer too? Or just experienced?

Bruceleeroy watching that video now. Thanks.

I'm a Loan Officer by day.... and at night.
Part time on Saturdays, but usually never on a Sunday.

Bruceleeroy seems to know the ins and outs of the mortgage market. (I'll need to check out that video too.)
shop your rates. I price match all the time. No one is paying your mortgage but you, so don't feel bad about asking for a better deal. Honestly, it takes nothing out of my pocket to see you pay less and leave a little happier. I would hope that would have you call me when you need something else, like cash out, or have referral for someone else that needs a loan.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017

That was helpful, thanks for sharing!

I'm a little confused why people are so against fees (aside from the obvious "don't pay if you don't have to") considering how much folks stand to save over the lifetime of their loan.

We're two years into a 30 (at 4.25%) and my wife and I both have good credit scores, so I'm hoping to see something close to a 3.0 if we stick with a 30 but am tempted to get aggressive and go for a 15 (near 2.5, maybe?). Is that achievable, or am I not providing enough detail for someone to actually say if it is or isn't? Need to contact some other potential lenders since the one we used a couple years back didn't get back to us (since Thursday).

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
My interest rate is 3.375%. I'm very happy with it and not paying extra on this. Investing more money over the last 3 years has made me more money.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
That was helpful, thanks for sharing!

I'm a little confused why people are so against fees (aside from the obvious "don't pay if you don't have to") considering how much folks stand to save over the lifetime of their loan.

We're two years into a 30 (at 4.25%) and my wife and I both have good credit scores, so I'm hoping to see something close to a 3.0 if we stick with a 30 but am tempted to get aggressive and go for a 15 (near 2.5, maybe?). Is that achievable, or am I not providing enough detail for someone to actually say if it is or isn't? Need to contact some other potential lenders since the one we used a couple years back didn't get back to us (since Thursday).

Hard to give something more than general advice without details.
but it really comes down to priorities. Are you trying to pay it off sooner, or lower your monthly payments?

A much lower rate on a 15 or a 20yr fix will have a higher payment, but the amount of money saved by not having a payment for an additional 8-13 years will likely far exceed the the amount extra you are paying per month.
If your goal is to save money now, a 30yr in the mid to low 3's could save you money now, while also allowing you to use the amount saved to pay extra towards the principal when you want to. In other words. you could pay your 30 like a 15, but have the flexibility to not make that extra payment if something comes up.... because life happens.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Very confused here. I have an FHA loan in PA...I told my wife we should look into this and she said we would have to pay a lot to refinance. I have no idea about this kind of stuff.

If I want a lower interest rate...am I going to have to pay?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah bro I mean look at this:
I'm just going to assume you purchased at $350,000 at 3.5% down.
This is the total interest you would pay over the course of 30 years:
This is a great site by the way: https://www.mortgagecalculator.org/

If you switched to a 15 Year you would drop it by half easily. For this scenario I didn't even factor in the lower balance you likely have right now

Between this and the video I can't thank you enough! I'm going to start shopping around. Also a big thanks to AbsoluteZero0K for starting this thread.

I punched my info into Lending Tree and found 15 year/3% and 30 years/3.125%. Hopefully things work out well.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to give something more than general advice without details.
but it really comes down to priorities. Are you trying to pay it off sooner, or lower your monthly payments?

A much lower rate on a 15 or a 20yr fix will have a higher payment, but the amount of money saved by not having a payment for an additional 8-13 years will likely far exceed the the amount extra you are paying per month.
If your goal is to save money now, a 30yr in the mid to low 3's could save you money now, while also allowing you to use the amount saved to pay extra towards the principal when you want to. In other words. you could pay your 30 like a 15, but have the flexibility to not make that extra payment if something comes up.... because life happens.

Thats a good point that I hadn't considered, but wouldn't you still be paying a fair bit more interest if you "pay your 30 like a 15" because the monthly payment on the 30 is very interest front loaded early on?

There's an appeal to "being done" with the mortgage in 15 years that is kind of making that appealing, but that's sort of aside from the refinance discussions.

Either way, thanks! This is a very educational thread.

OP
OP
AbsoluteZero0K

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Between this and the video I can't thank you enough! I'm going to start shopping around. Also a big thanks to AbsoluteZero0K for starting this thread.

I punched my info into Lending Tree and found 15 year/3% and 30 years/3.125%. Hopefully things work out well.

Yeah, like I said, I've been watching the market for at least six months, and the savings are just too stupid to overlook.

I see a lot of threads of woe on Era. Bout time we get a little positivism for a change.

Especially you, where you started over 5%. Yeah, you're gonna save big during the lifetime of your mortgage.

Thats a good point that I hadn't considered, but wouldn't you still be paying a fair bit more interest if you "pay your 30 like a 15" because the monthly payment on the 30 is very interest front loaded early on?

There's an appeal to "being done" with the mortgage in 15 years that is kind of making that appealing, but that's sort of aside from the refinance discussions.

Either way, thanks! This is a very educational thread.

Most long-term loans (this applies to cars too) are front-loaded. Unlike auto loans which are fixed (when you sign the dotted line, you're paying that interest even if you pay ahead of schedule), you can lower how much interest you pay on a house if you pay ahead, true.

I was also "paying ahead." 13 months of payments in 12. But again, the interest is front-loaded, so while I would save in the long run, I wouldn't be saving *as much*. Also, with a 15 year mortgage, you're earning equity faster, so if you have to sell, well, that's more cash for you if you want to upgrade to bigger OR downscale.

Key in this process for me is that refinancing to a 15 year mortgage with the interest rates bombing means my monthly payments don't change. Usually, you pay more, so for me, there's nothing to lose except if I don't refinance, lol. Some people like the poster above, will actually see LOWER monthly payments by refinancing to a 15 year than their 30 year simply because of the 5% interest rate.

So yeah, if only ONE person in this whole thread saves the equivalent of the average household income in the US because I brought this to their attention, then mission accomplished.

I suspect that adding all the people who said they'd looking into refinancing, over the life of our combined mortgages, probably in the millions of dollars saved.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
What's the difference between rate and APR on a mortgage? I'm looking at houses and I can get a 30 year fixed at 3.125% with zero points but APR is 3.285%. What is the extra .16%?

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like I said, I've been watching the market for at least six months, and the savings are just too stupid to overlook.

I see a lot of threads of woe on Era. Bout time we get a little positivism for a change.

Especially you, where you started over 5%. Yeah, you're gonna save big during the lifetime of your mortgage.

Most long-term loans (this applies to cars too) are front-loaded. Unlike auto loans which are fixed (when you sign the dotted line, you're paying that interest even if you pay ahead of schedule), you can lower how much interest you pay on a house if you pay ahead, true.

I was also "paying ahead." 13 months of payments in 12. But again, the interest is front-loaded, so while I would save in the long run, I wouldn't be saving *as much*. Also, with a 15 year mortgage, you're earning equity faster, so if you have to sell, well, that's more cash for you if you want to upgrade to bigger OR downscale.

Key in this process for me is that refinancing to a 15 year mortgage with the interest rates bombing means my monthly payments don't change. Usually, you pay more, so for me, there's nothing to lose except if I don't refinance, lol. Some people like the poster above, will actually see LOWER monthly payments by refinancing to a 15 year than their 30 year simply because of the 5% interest rate.

So yeah, if only ONE person in this whole thread saves the equivalent of the average household income in the US because I brought this to their attention, then mission accomplished.

I suspect that adding all the people who said they'd looking into refinancing, over the life of our combined mortgages, probably in the millions of dollars saved.

You and others are doing us all a big service, so genuinely I say thank you to you and the rest!

Any recommendations on where to go to shop for rates/options? I was a click away from giving Lending Tree my email address and then thought I should ask around more first.

What criteria goes into whether you'll qualify for the best rates? With high credit and solid jobs, plus only mortgage and minimal car debt, I feel like that should be enough but I was semi-let down by our 4.25% a couple years ago so maybe I'm not understanding something (or that was the best we could do then).

Oct 25, 2017
I refinanced a year ago to a 15 year at 3.625. What are the rates right now for 15 year fixed? Do you guys think it's worth it to refinance again? Now I wish I would have held off. Haha. My original was 4.5

Last edited:
OP
OP
AbsoluteZero0K

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
You and others are doing us all a big service, so genuinely I say thank you to you and the rest!

Any recommendations on where to go to shop for rates/options? I was a click away from giving Lending Tree my email address and then thought I should ask around more first.

What criteria goes into whether you'll qualify for the best rates? With high credit and solid jobs, plus only mortgage and minimal car debt, I feel like that should be enough but I was semi-let down by our 4.25% a couple years ago so maybe I'm not understanding something (or that was the best we could do then).

If you live close enough to a college town, I recommend a university credit union.

But yeah, credit score and debt-to-income ratio are the important factors.

I refinanced a year ago to a 15 year at 3.625. What are the rates right now for 15 year fixed? Do you guys think it's worth it to refinance again? Now I wish I would have held off. Haha. My original was 4.5

If you just refinanced to a 3.6 last year, I think you'll want to sit this one out. You'd get double-tapped for the closing costs. Not fun.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're at 4% fixed on an FHA 30 year loan...with the pesky MIP as well. Five years in and I'm deeply considering a refinance if my credit score can rise in time. I'm now qualified for the VA home loan guarantee that we didn't when we bought the house. Cutting to 15 years makes too much sense right now

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Got quoted for a 3.5% last week, pushing to get closer to 3. Hopefully I hear good news tomorrow.