• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I ran the numbers. Even the best case of 2.875% on a 15 year loan will barely save me anything over how I'm currently paying extra principal when you factor in closing costs. Plus I like the option of being able to pay less in case one of us loses a job.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I do home loans for a big bank.
I can attest to the craziness of the market for the last 3 weeks.
The Feds dropping the rate has only made things even more insane.

I take on what I can, but there is only so many hours in a day. LOL

p.s. If you have Mortgage Insurance, you should always be looking to refinance and get away from that the moment you can. Literally throwing money away.

About to close on a house in two weeks at 3.3 % fixed for a 30 year. Not sure how to change that at this point...

Any advice?

Get a quote from another lender. Bring it to your current lender. tell them to match or beat it.
But honestly, you have a great rate for a 30yr. Shouldn't stop you from trying to get even better though.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
So we are five years into a 30. We don't have PMI because we put down a lot. What should we be aiming for? I'd be down to play what we are paying now for a 15 or 20. Any lenders people recommend?

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
So we are five years into a 30. We don't have PMI because we put down a lot. What should we be aiming for? I'd be down to play what we are paying now for a 15 or 20. Any lenders people recommend?
My best experience came from going through a mortgage broker. Maybe see if friends/family in your area who have purchased a house recently have had a good experience with one?

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The big banks in Canada are dropping down to ~2.3% on a 5 year. Crazy.

Is everyone talking about 20 and 30 year fixed rates from Europe? Even a 10 year term is rare in Canada.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Curious for anyone with experience, when I check out better.com or nerdwallet and I put in my current loan amount I always get terrible rates, I owe 165k and get quoted like 3.9 or 4.1 with a 800+ credit score, doesn't make sense. This is for either 15 or 20 year refinance.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I just bought a house and got a 3.5% rate. It's a VA loan though with zero down. Is there any possible way i can get in on this lol?

You have a VA Loan, of course you can look into this. You may even be able to do a streamline refinance with no income or appraisal. Just pay closing cost, wrap it up in a few weeks.

I might need to look into this, but I haven't had my place for a year yet? I'm pretty new to being a homeowner in general but I was told to wait at least a year before refinancing??

You can refinance when it makes sense for you to do it. if the rate is low enough, you may not ever have to refi again unless you are trying to get cash out or just lower your payments. Look into. It doesn't cost you anything but time to see if you can save yourself 10's of thousands of dollars over the life of your loan.

There's a rumor at work saying that the WSJ Prime Rate is expected to fall another .25% soon. The applications I'm processing are almost 2 weeks old before they even get to me. There isn't enough appraisers to keep up with our demand. And yet the powers at be decide to start shrinking staff even though our new hire class won't be ready for another 4 months.

ba0b8fdca507f3bf7ccd35088305f00d.jpg

All I really have to say here is that if you decide to get in on this, just be patient with all parties involved.

for real. it's already been crazy on my side. it's only gonna get crazier of over the next few week.
I'm already doing a TON of Home Equity line (seriously, hit me up, HELOCS starting as low a 2.74% right now) if they drop the Prime Rate again... it only gets better for all involved.

So.... I'm paying a fixed 4% interest rate over 30 years on an FHA loan. Your saying I should look into refinancing? 2.8% sounds amazing, even 4% was considered good when I bought my house.

The only catch for me though is I just bought my house last year.

you may not get away from the PMI, but you can most likely lower the amount your paying your rate on the overall mortgage.
Just make sure the closing cost and funding fee are worth the cost. You could also possibly get into a program that's not FHA, which means you might not have to refinance again later to drop that Mortgage Insurance

I think we're paying 4.5% right now but on a $247,000 note supposedly the fees would be like 2 to 6% of the note amount? So $5,000 minimum?

We might not live in our house long enough for the difference on the interest to make that up. That's just a silly amount of money to spend up front.

We bought our house during a relocation so all closing costs were paid for by her company. Guess we'll just wait and see where her job takes her next instead.

wrap the cost into the loan. Hopefully the saving pays back the cost in the first 3 year. If you plan on selling in 5 years, the the cost is negligible anyway if your saving money in the short term now. Housing values will continue to creep upwards. you'll more than make the money back in a few years if you end up selling.

I wish I knew more about buying homes lol any good research I can do. Got a pretty good income and hot ass credit score, and paying way to much for a small ass apartment.
I messaged a lender we used for our mortgage about this on Thursday and haven't heard back- I imagine they're busy/maybe not incentivized to do business.

Guess I should try another one?

I wonder if we give the ResertEra discount....
I'll have to look into that. ;)

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I have 4.25% interest on the mortgage I opened in July last year. Is it too soon to refinance??

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Curious for anyone with experience, when I check out better.com or nerdwallet and I put in my current loan amount I always get terrible rates, I owe 165k and get quoted like 3.9 or 4.1 with a 800+ credit score, doesn't make sense. This is for either 15 or 20 year refinance.

With the current administration, the current market situation, and the fact that it's an election year, rates are not likely to go back up anytime soon. I say give a few days and try again later in the week or next week. some lenders have artificially raised their rates to slow down business.

your payment may be a bit higher on a 15yr than what you're paying now, but your rate will likely be much lower.
Alternatively, you could refinance to a lower rate on our current 30year, and just continue to pay what your paying now, and pay it off much quicker at a lower rate. Give you the flexibility of not having to make a higher payment if you dont want to.

I have 4.25% interest on the mortgage I opened in July last year. Is it too soon to refinance??

no. not at all.
If you're lucky, you may not even have to do an appraisal.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm not an expert on this but have been looking into refinancing from a 30 year down to a 20 or 15 year (23 years left on my original loan). My confusion is that when people say "record lows, get interest rate on a 15 year for 2.79%" that doesn't seem to be accurate without paying more points (money up front) for the lower rate. I have been monitoring better.com (highly rated online refinance place) and the site is pretty detailed/allows you to see the numbers. I see interest rates this low but at the cost of paying a lot more up front. Is that accurate or should I be looking elsewhere to see about refinancing?

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm holding off a bit longer because the fed has signaled they aren't done. Gonna get that 15 year loan.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I just refinanced in December, got a lower rate than I had and dropped my pmi so I'm happy, but man had I just waited a little longer. As if I could have predicated this though lol

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I refinanced last March and can do it again just fine. I'm surprised my real estate guy hasn't called me.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 3.75 30 year from November so there doesn't seem to much incentive to refi yet. I'm sure it will go lower.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
Where are you seeing these low rates? On all the "get customized rates" pages (zillow, nerd wallet, etc), I am seeing 4% or higher no matter what type of numbers I put in for home value and current principle balance.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if it's worth me going through this process. Right now I have a 30 year fixed at 3.88. Only a couple years into it though. Current rates for me are 3.25 for 30 year fixed (going to 15 or 20 isn't feasible for me). Debating if that's enough of a saving on the interest rate or I should wait a bit longer

maks

Oct 27, 2017
I got a great deal on my mortgage a while back and although im at 4.5% i still cant quite pull the trigger.

=CURRENT SITUATION=
154k Loan, 4.5%, 15yrs remaining ($1178mo)
102k balloon becomes due at end of Loan
$450mo is going to Vanguard VTSAX
$1628mo Mortgage + Vanguard

=15YR REFI SCENARIO=
256k Loan + Balloon, 3.0%, 15yrs ($1768mo)
$1768mo Mortgage (no room for Vanguard)

I'll probably stay in my current situation even if i could get a 2.75% 15yr. My vanguard should be able to payoff the balloon in 15yrs (or earlier) if i really need to use it for that. Its nice to have a sure thing the refinance offers but i dont like being locked in to such a high monthly payment.

If you guys are on android checkout Karls mortgage calculator. It seems like some people here should explore principal prepayments on their current mortgage instead of refi.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if it's worth me going through this process. Right now I have a 30 year fixed at 3.88. Only a couple years into it though. Current rates for me are 3.25 for 30 year fixed (going to 15 or 20 isn't feasible for me). Debating if that's enough of a saving on the interest rate or I should wait a bit longer

Uh you should seriously refinance, I'm at a lower rate than you on a 20 and that was last March and I knocked off the insurance and hundreds off my mortgage.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I looked at mine since I just got an apartment. But I've only had the place for 5 months and I looked up rates due to how low the price is...I'm actually not going down that much and due to how low the purchase price was my payments don't really get affected much. I'm better off just dumping extra towards the principal every payment directly instead of spending the money to go through the process

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i am in the middle of refinancing now. Closing costs for the loan itself are $3500 for bank fees, attorney, and title search.

I also have an escrow for taxes and insurance so there's also $6000 for that but that will be different for everyone. That's just going to get transferred from the existing escrow so out of pocket I'm only $3500.

My original closing costs on the house were $16,000 with escrow back in August.
Yea, the closing costs are why I'm hesitant to refinance.

Bought my place at 5.375% 30 fixed in August 2018. I would love to refinance down to a 15 or 20 year at a lower rate, but I don't have that extra cash in the bank to cover the costs. I am paying a little over my monthly payment now to get 20% equity and cut out that PMI so the slightly higher payments wouldn't hurt.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
still at 3.8% from 2012 and I only have about 65k left on mortgage and less than 10 years left. Not sure I could remortgage at this point.

Spawnsniper

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm currently 5years in at 3.2% and paying mortgage insurance( is this PMI that I can remove?)

Is it beneficial to refinance ? Also on a 30year loan. My credit is way bad from when I got the home originally though

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I'm on year 7.5 of a 30 yrs / 3.5% rate. Also I'm in the same 10 year MIP plan. Will trying to refinance help me lower my payment or am I in the best rate possible right now?

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For those asking... use a refinance calculator to determine whether it's worth it. No one can really give you advice without knowing your situation. Here is one that I've used.

www.nerdwallet.com

Mortgage Refinance Calculator: Should I Refinance? - NerdWallet

Interested in refinancing to a lower rate or lower monthly payment? With NerdWallet's free refinance calculator, you can calculate your new monthly payment and estimate your monthly and lifetime savings.

Some general advice. If you can afford the monthly payments it's generally worth refinancing from 30 years to 15 years... assuming lower rates of course. Always check your break even year and whether you anticipate staying in the property that long.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at 1.21 on 20 years, so I think I already had a good deal pre-Covid.

Zularti

Oct 25, 2017
I got my house July 2018 with 30yr 4.6%. I currently have about 217,000 left with pmi.

Is it worth looking into for me this early? Can I get pmi off through refinancing without having paid the 20%?

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Hmm. Definitely gonna look into this. My first house is at 3.25 so I dunno how much lower I can get that, but my current home is at 3.75 (I think...)

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
I just refinanced in December, got a lower rate than I had and dropped my pmi so I'm happy, but man had I just waited a little longer. As if I could have predicated this though lol

How long into the loan were you with the PMI and did you have to put money down on the refinance to get out of PMI?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I got my house July 2018 with 30yr 4.6%. I currently have about 217,000 left with pmi.

Is it worth looking into for me this early? Can I get pmi off through refinancing without having paid the 20%?

Unless your value has gone up enough to increase your equity, you probably won't be able to get rid of it. If you get quoted without it, make sure they're not bundling the lump sum into the loan.

At that rate, you should be talking to your loan officer regardless though.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Where are you seeing these low rates? On all the "get customized rates" pages (zillow, nerd wallet, etc), I am seeing 4% or higher no matter what type of numbers I put in for home value and current principle balance.
Check better.com or refinancing through credit karma. Some lower rates may require you to pay down with points.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
There's a rumor at work saying that the WSJ Prime Rate is expected to fall another .25% soon. The applications I'm processing are almost 2 weeks old before they even get to me. There isn't enough appraisers to keep up with our demand. And yet the powers at be decide to start shrinking staff even though our new hire class won't be ready for another 4 months.

ba0b8fdca507f3bf7ccd35088305f00d.jpg

All I really have to say here is that if you decide to get in on this, just be patient with all parties involved.

Ha so true been absolute insanity.
The prime has no bearing on mortgage rates though outside of HELOCS.

Nerdwallet is garbage.
Head over there bankrate

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I'm holding off a bit longer because the fed has signaled they aren't done. Gonna get that 15 year loan.

What the Fed does will affect rates but only to a point. Right now most banks are freezing rates and not following the Fed. At the end of the day the banks are losing a tremendous amount of money when rates start to drop so much it cuts into their inventory.

https://www.housingwire.com/article...e-lenders-keeping-them-from-going-even-lower/

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
for real. it's already been crazy on my side. it's only gonna get crazier of over the next few week.

I'm already doing a TON of Home Equity line (seriously, hit me up, HELOCS starting as low a 2.74% right now) if they drop the Prime Rate again... it only gets better for all involved.

Ha so true been absolute insanity.
The prime has no bearing on mortgage rates though outside of HELOCS.

Yeah, I work with HELOCs specifically. The kneejerk reaction from executives seem to be to move some of our HELOC Underwriters to 1st Mortgage even know they know we don't have capacity for that to happen.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

Find a broker so he can shop the rate for you. You will never get as good a rate going direct to a wholesale bank. Just hop on Yelp in your area. Look up mortgage brokers

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Here is my sitch.

I bought a condo in 2016 for 88k. There is 80k left on it
I plan to pay the full condo off 18 months from now
I have 40k saved in high interest savings accounts currently
My rate on the 88k loan is 4.125%
I have found a 20 year loan at 2.99% and a 15 year loan at 2.5% in my area
I do not have PMI and the condo is now worth around 100k

My plan was to save up the whole amount and then send my current lender a check in Novemer 2021 but I'm wondering if these interest rates might help me save some? Closing costs seem to be a LOT of money from my research but if I took the 40k to knock the refinanced amount down to 40k at one of the new rates listed above my payments would go down by about $150/month and my interest per month would go down by about $150 by my calculations. Is it worth it for 18 months? 300x18 is $5,400. What exactly DO the closing and admin fees entail on a refi?

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Yea, the closing costs are why I'm hesitant to refinance.

Bought my place at 5.375% 30 fixed in August 2018. I would love to refinance down to a 15 or 20 year at a lower rate, but I don't have that extra cash in the bank to cover the costs. I am paying a little over my monthly payment now to get 20% equity and cut out that PMI so the slightly higher payments wouldn't hurt.

Broski you have a 5.375% 🤯
You need to refinance. You can add all the closing costs to your loan balance. The $3500 you Finance will pale in comparison to the $100,000+ you will save in interest over the life of the loan

Yeah, I work with HELOCs specifically. The kneejerk reaction from executives seem to be to move some of our HELOC Underwriters to 1st Mortgage even know they know we don't have capacity for that to happen.

Gotcha. Most stressful 2 weeks of my life

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
This thread is a good read. We are deciding to either buy a home this year in Orlando or pack up our shit and move to the west coast but we would need to rent for a bit before buying of course. Good to hear though that now is a good time to buy.

iguanadolphin

Nov 2, 2017
I'd like to get my mortgage all paid up. I still owe around $87K. I bought back when the getting was good. Might as well put what I would pay to refi towards my principal.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Broski you have a 5.375% 🤯
You need to refinance. You can add all the closing costs to your loan balance. The $3500 you Finance will pale in comparison to the $100,000+ you will save in interest over the life of the loan

Wait. If i roll the closing costs into the loan and then pay it off in 18 months, do I still have to pay the remainder of the closing costs, or do I get out of everything past the 18 months? The math changes dramatically and a refi would be a no-brainer if I could get out of those costs after 18 months.

Mar 30, 2018
So I just got a letter from my loan originator last week offering to refinance from our 30 year FHA that we got in 2011 at 4.625% to a new rate of 4.375%. It's supposed to drop our payment, interest, and mortgage insurance each month by $155, but it adds another $2000 to our balance (a little under $117,000). I'll play around with some of the calculators, but is that worthwhile at all?

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Wait. If i roll the closing costs into the loan and then pay it off in 18 months, do I still have to pay the remainder of the closing costs, or do I get out of everything past the 18 months? The math changes dramatically and a refi would be a no-brainer if I could get out of those costs after 18 months.

Here I'll send you a Loan Comparison.

So I just got a letter from my loan originator last week offering to refinance from our 30 year FHA that we got in 2011 at 4.625% to a new rate of 4.375%. It's supposed to drop our payment, interest, and mortgage insurance each month by $155, but it adds another $2000 to our balance (a little under $117,000). I'll play around with some of the calculators, but is that worthwhile at all?

Lol
Direct lender right? That's a shit deal

Oct 30, 2017
I'm also anticipating mortgage rates to be cut in the UK from March 26th (or a week later once all the banks take into account the rate cut!)

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

assuming your credit score is decent, you should be able to do better than that.

Jan 16, 2019
Why are condo rates so much worse?

currently at 4.625% and would like to lower that.

bought it 6 months ago and payment of principal and interest is only like $680

HOA and escrow is $1170 or so monthly.

i originally out 20% down and original amountof loan was $132,400

Current principal is $130,800

I make over $100k before taxes with a credit score just above 800, I've put in some info into refinancing but can't get any condo rates down below 4.5 or so. Thoughts?