• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you really want to nudge opinions to be point of it being based only on objectivity, then religion and personal believes wouldn't exist all all. And every human will be like robots operating behind a united hive mind. That's not happening.
At no point did I say that. This is a literal strawman argument.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If people are that susceptible to conspiracies, thinking that world governments are hiding the truth that we have been to the moon, it means they are open to the idea of things we take for granted all being hoaxes.

While believing the moon landing is fake is harmless in a day to day sense, there is no doubt that they also believe other more harmful ideas or will at some point.

You don't start thinking 'the government's been lying for decades over this one thing' and not start seeing conspiracies elsewhere.

If these people can't be reasoned with then I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to associate yourself with them.

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think you quite understand what an opinion is. An opinion is subjective based on anecdotal experiences. It has no basis on facts or research. It is not rooted on any objectivity. Thus there's neither right nor wrong about an opinion and it's about what they 'thinks' but rather what they 'feels'.

Try to argue with someone on how their opinions are wrong, especially on something as trivial as moonlanding, is just a waste of time. Just reply: "Agree to disagree. You do you." and move on.....unless you really got alot of time on your hands.
Nah, it's not an opinion. It factually happened. This is no different than holocaust deniers just not as egregious. You can't have a feeling 2+2=3.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How can you be sure those are the same lasers?

trying-not-to-laugh-gif-4.gif

Not gonna lie that's quality bait, you got me lol

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Me and my friends dont agree on everything. You gotta choose your battles.

If they say some dumb shit about fake moon landings or the earth being flat i just laugh and clown on em and then we will go grab lunch.

If they say some dumb shit about anti-vaxing or gender superiority i will have to set them straight and make my views perfectly clear.

Some things are worth fighting and some things are not.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Well, yeah, then you'd start believing a lot of crazy shit if you did that. So, you take their word as fact... a leap of faith?

Why should anyone take you seriously? Your posts always seem to be intended to be trolling and/or rile people up. Whether your ridiculous rich person posts or this new stunt. It comes of as sad and kinda tragic. Hope you feel better soon and don't waste your time on something so stupid.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Nah, it's not an opinion. It factually happened. This is no different than holocaust deniers just not egregious. You can't have a feeling 2+2=3.

ok, so what's your proposition than? Shutting down these people ain't gonna stop them from believing what they believed. unless your intention of shutting them down is to minimise the spread of misinformation? Again, just because you didn't hear these misinformation doesn't mean it's not being spread.

Anyone can have an opinion based on a factual incident. And that opinion can be different regardless of how clear the facts were being presented. I mean...just look at the 'Rashomon Effect'. The nature of human beings being individual thinkers means that 'differing opinions of facts' will happened, regardless of whether we like it or not.

Again, i am not saying 'moon-landing' deniers should exist or spread misinformation. I am saying they WILL exists no matter how you try to correct or shut them off.

So there's really no reason to be reasonably upset by something that's inevitable.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Its a stupid ass view to have, but is it really that big a problem? Like how much time are you guys spending discussing the moon landing program on average?

Oct 27, 2017
If you're thinking about cutting off your friendships with them based on this trivial shit then you didnt want to be friends with them in the first place

Oct 25, 2017
When did I bring up Trump or suggest anything like what you're trying to suggest?

You seem to think that an "opinion" has to be rooted in fact, knowledge or understanding. There is no such qualifier. The OP's friends "opinion" is not a fact, and it is ignorant, but it is still their opinion.

It's not like human ignorance is a new phenomenon. If you can't just roll your eyes and humour this dumb old conspiracy theory then it says more about you than anybody else. Not everything has to be a fight.
Yah I mean it's just my opinion that the holocaust didn't happen, it's just my opinion that jews are controlling the world.

I hate this bs.

BadHand

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yah I mean it's just my opinion that the holocaust didn't happen, it's just my opinion that jews are controlling the world.

Nah, it's not an opinion. It factually happened. This is no different than holocaust deniers just not as egregious. You can't have a feeling 2+2=3.

A majority of Americans don't believe in the official explanation of the JFK assassination by a lone-shooter... do you liken them to holocaust deniers too? This is shameful behavior and attack on free speech. Good to know you'll always be there to call out all the Thoughtcrimes and disparage the dissenting voice.

Many people here would jump at the opportunity to speculate on the unconfirmed existence of kompromat on Trump, like the "Pee Tape", or Homeland Security covertly communicating with Nazis by tweeting out secret codes, but we wouldn't be having this crazy shit of trying to link any conspiracy theory with antisemitism and holocaust denial then.

Oct 25, 2017
A majority of Americans don't believe in the official explanation of the JFK assassination by a lone-shooter... do you liken them to holocaust deniers too? This is shameful behavior and attack on free speech. Good to know you'll always be there to call out all the Thoughtcrimes and disparage the dissenting voice.

Many people here would jump at the opportunity to speculate on the unconfirmed existence of kompromat on Trump, like the "Pee Tape", or Homeland Security covertly communicating with Nazis by tweeting out secret codes, but we wouldn't be having this crazy shit of trying to link any conspiracy theory with antisemitism and holocaust denial then.
No one is saying you cannot have those thoughts, no one is saying you cannot use your free speech to spread those views. What people are saying is don't be surprised if people don't want to associate with you. You seem to have a odd view of freedom of speech, you seem to think it means there aren't consequences to your speech. Denying objective, verifiable evidence, and hiding behind its my opinion is the shameful acts of a child.

If you deny objective evidence, and hide behind it's my opinion man, you are no different than someone who denies the holocaust, 9/11 truther, terrorists are coming through our southern border, etc. I don't have time for you, I don't want to associate with you, and guess what that is my right.

BlueGeezer

Oct 28, 2017
Now you're just being extra.

Holocaust denial is in like flat earth territory, except worse since it's erasing the genocide of a people.

Moon landing is just in 'well whatever dude' territory and don't hurt nobody. Who cares.
It's not though. Read post 258 up there it explains better then I can why it's a problem and a good reason to disown people.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Like, I get comparing moon landing and Holocaust denial is absurd but what the hell mate - this is just ludicrous

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Well, yeah, then you'd start believing a lot of crazy shit if you did that. So, you take their word as fact... a leap of faith?
Weird. So you don't believe the space station exists either? You've never met anyone involved. Oh, what about cancer if you've never met anyone with cancer? Is it a myth?

We went to the moon six times, there's only so much you can do on a rock. We got samples, studied it, and left. Why go back unless we're colonizing it?

BadHand

Oct 25, 2017
No one is saying you cannot have those thoughts, no one is saying you cannot use your free speech to spread those views. What people are saying is don't be surprised if people don't want to associate with you. You seem to have a odd view of freedom of speech, you seem to think it means there aren't consequences to your speech.

If you deny objective evidence, and hide behind it's my opinion man, you are no different than someone who denies the holocaust, 9/11 truther, terrorists are coming through our southern border, etc. I don't have time for you, I don't want to associate with you, and guess what that is my right.

I have never said there shouldn't be consequences to free speech. But if you start associated people to Nazi's for believing in *any* conspiracy, then speech is not free. It's an attempt to dissuade people from free speech.

I have never said you cannot disassociate yourself from conspiracy theorists. I've said it's a ridiculous rule that I personally don't subscribe to.

Like, I get comparing moon landing and Holocaust denial is absurd but what the hell mate - this is just ludicrous

It was intentionally ludicrous to make a point.

Typically, people who buy into conspiracy theories don't believe in just one.

Apparently they are all flat-earth holocaust deniers who believe the world is controlled by lizard shape-shifting Jews.

Oct 25, 2017
I have never said there shouldn't be consequences to free speech. But if you start associated people to Nazi's for believing in *any* conspiracy, then speech is not free. It's an attempt to dissuade people from free speech.

I have never said you cannot disassociate yourself from conspiracy theorists. I've said it's a ridiculous rule that I personally don't subscribe to.

It was intentionally ludicrous to make a point.

Apparently they are all flat-earth holocaust deniers who believe the world is controlled by lizard shape-shifting Jews.
I'm not associating you with Nazis, I'm saying I don't have time for people who shrug off objective, verifiable evidence, and hide behind hey bro its just my harmless opinion. There is zero difference between a moon truther and a 9/11 truther or someone who says we need a wall because terrorists and homicidal rapists are coming across our southern border. I ain't got time for that shit.

BadHand

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not associating you with Nazis, I'm saying I don't have time for people who shrug off objective, verifiable evidence, and hide behind hey bro its just my harmless opinion. There is zero difference between a moon truther and a 9/11 truther or someone who says we need a wall because terrorists and homicidal rapists are coming across our southern border. I ain't got time for that shit.

I know you are not associating me - I am not someone who believes the moon landing was a hoax.

I do remember being called a conspiracy theorist in 2003 when I was convinced by someone that the British government's dossier of evidence and intelligence on Iraq WMD was nothing more than a pretext for war. So maybe I would have been one back then though.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, were you there, OP? Did you land on the moon with them? If not, how can you be sure it ever happened? ;]

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Has anyone discussed the best hot take? Humans definitely did go to the Moon (because duh), but some Aliens were like get lost yo dis our base. The whole 'fake' theory is baloney as-is since it denies that humans have the ingenuity to do it; moon landing+aliens though, that's way more entertaining.

I know some Astronauts have said they saw some real weird stuff during their careers man, like Gordon Cooper. I mean I'm more likely to believe a trained pilot observing something over a random Joe Bob that claimed they got 'probed.'

Narrated by my boy Riker

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Meh, I could easily see it being faked. I don't necessarily believe it, but let's say I can be agnostic on the subject.

Depends on my mood. From a general sense I believe we landed on the moon, but I don't necessarily believe everything I read either.

I'm split. It's not like the US isn't incapable of shady shit.

Why would this make you hate them?

Last edited:

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a co-worker I used to hang out with who doesn't believe in the moon landing.

I tried debating him, then I tried going with "agree to disagree", but then I realized it wasn't the only thing he didn't believe in. Quickly I realized he was a complete idiot and not someone I want to spend my time with.

Point is that if you don't believe in the moon landing, it's usually indicative of other flaws that can be impossible to look past.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
I have a co-worker I used to hang out with who doesn't believe in the moon landing.

I tried debating him, then I tried going with "agree to disagree", but then I realized it wasn't the only thing he didn't believe in. Quickly I realized he was a complete idiot and not someone I want to spend my time with.

Point is that if you don't believe in the moon landing, it's usually indicative of other flaws that can be impossible to look past.

To believe in such bullshit he didn't required any evidence at all... He probable will eat others stupid bullshit stories with the same "no evidence required" approach

Last edited:

DukeTogo1300

Oct 28, 2017
Conspiracy truthers drive me crazy too. It's never just one thing with them, people should cut OP some slack.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
No, they are real friends
Yeah I don't know man, I get not wanting to be friends with idiots, but it could be awkward if you guys frequent the same places and what not. Unless you want your life to turn into an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, I'd just let it go. I have plenty of dumb ass acquaintances, I just smile and say "well that's an interesting viewpoint there" fairly often rather than agreeing or debating their points. I prefer to keep things cordial to avoid awkwardness. If you don't mind being seen as someone who relishes conflict, then drop em like bad habits. Ultimately up to you, just consider whether you're likely to see them much afterwards.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
how someone could ever possibly consider that the six missions that we made to the Moon with different landing points witnessed and worked on by thousands of people could have been faked is ridiculous. there are literally thousands of people still alive that worked on it for decades let alone witnessed the space program.

either that or they are so ignorant that they bought into something without spending 45 minutes actually reading a book or watching archived film footage of the actual events of the Saturn V rocket exploding off into space and being tracked through the solar system to the Moon and back.

WTF is going on in this a post-fact age.

Get it together people.