• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your friends are idiots and I would assume at least a good number of these same people think 9/11 was an "inside job."

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mythbusters Season 6 episode 3.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/m...s-database/apollo-moon-landing-pictures-fake/

As for why not going back...
1 - for the sampling/ data collection it's dangerous for humans and rover tech has evolved to do most of what we'd need at a fraction of the cost and no risk to human lives
2- Why go anyway... It's a deserted piece of rock. IF we go (there was a plan to do so at some point until fairly recently, it's very uncertain now) it would be to establish presence and build a permanent station
Which
3- poses massive cost and technological problems, needing much larger and more powerful rockets
And NASA's budget is currently the lowest it's ever been (in terms of % of Fed budget).
The small silver lining is the rise of private investments in Space tech.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
A conspiracy would be more interesting than humans actually landing on the moon? Nope

Also people landed on the moon multiple times - it wasn't a one off and why would there be a global conspiracy about it? Including countries like Russia etc?

Yeh if someone is that stupid / believe such drivel I would gladly never speak to them again.

That's kind of why it would be more interesting. It would have to be a conspiracy on an epic scale, with no credible leaks, across all nations, over decades, for like no discernible reason. That actually would be interesting. But that's also why it's impossible.

It would similarly be amazing if the Earth was actually flat. Like the logistics and science behind it, how they kept it hidden, the whole concept of gravitational force, etc. Speaking of which, how did these people who believe in a flat earth pass remedial science and geography classes, did they just go along with the deception or did they get "enlightened" later on in life. And where exactly is the end of the world?

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
A co-worker of mine is also a flat earther and says that the moon landing is CGI made in hollywood. He also says that all of this is to deny the existence of God.

I let him speak his mind, and then I laughed out loud in the office

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
People know that we did go back, right? We didn't just land once, plant a flag and fuck off forever. We landed people on the moon six different times, over a period of three years. By the end they were driving cars and playing golf up there. There's zillions of photos and hours of film footage.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Pure stupidity. People think they are being smart by "seeing through the cover up" but are actually being stupid as fuck and displaying are worrying lack of critical thinking skills.

Sums up all conspiracy theories to be fair.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
People know that we did go back, right? We didn't just land once, plant a flag and fuck off forever. We landed people on the moon six different times, over a period of three years. By the end they were driving cars and playing golf up there. There's zillions of photos and hours of film footage.

Actually, from the faked Moon landing people I've talked to, no. They think there was only a single mission to the Moon. Hence, "Why haven't we been back since?!". It boggles my mind.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are you worried about it? I have family members that think it was faked, that the US government is hiding the cure for cancer, and that some governments have machines that control weather. It's not worth the investment in time to convince them otherwise.

I dunno why we haven't built a theme park on the moon yet like in Futurama.

Still waiting on the whaling mission to be completed

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of why it would be more interesting. It would have to be a conspiracy on an epic scale, with no credible leaks, across all nations, over decades, for like no discernible reason. That actually would be interesting. But that's also why it's impossible.

It would similarly be amazing if the Earth was actually flat. Like the logistics and science behind it, how they kept it hidden, the whole concept of gravitational force, etc. Speaking of which, how did these people who believe in a flat earth pass remedial science and geography classes, did they just go along with the deception or did they get "enlightened" later on in life. And where exactly is the end of the world?
They say Antarctica is an ice wall surrounding the earth.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
They say Antarctica is an ice wall surrounding the earth.

Is it magic so that we can never go over it, like Game of Thrones keeping the white walkers out? What's on the other side of the flat Earth? When you fly on a plane, from the edge of the flat earth is, how do they trick you into thinking you're flying over parts of the Earth that are on the other side of the flat Earth? Are all pilots in on the conspiracy?

I have so many questions.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Is it magic so that we can never go over it, like Game of Thrones keeping the white walkers out? What's on the other side of the flat Earth? When you fly on a plane, from the edge of the flat earth is, how do they trick you into thinking you're flying over parts of the Earth that are on the other side of the flat Earth? Are all pilots in on the conspiracy?

I have so many questions.
I feel like it has to be an elaborate joke that some people end up taking seriously.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

But its nonsense / fantasy. Might as well debate Santa Claus and the easter bunny being real world scenarios or postulate that the events in the Lord of The Rings is actually a depiction of 100% historical accuracy and everyone has conspired to lie about it the whole time.

The reality is interesting. The rest is just nonsense spouted by morons

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
But its nonsense / fantasy. Might as well debate Santa Claus and the easter bunny being real world scenarios or postulate that the events in the Lord of The Rings is actually a depiction of 100% historical accuracy and everyone has conspired to lie about it the whole time.

The reality is interesting. The rest is just nonsense spouted by morons

I mean, obviously they embellished true history when they adapted it to the LotR movies. It wasn't 100% accurate, maybe only around 80%.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd have a hard time trusting someone that can't accept basic facts and reality ... I don't see it as a little thing that someone refuses to accept historical fact. It's not a far reach from that to say something like the Holocaust didn't happen or any number of horrible denials.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
The funniest thing about conspiracy-theorists (and deniers of facts, from the Holocaust to mass shootings) is that they're willing to question everything but the conspiracy itself. Therefore they're contradicting themselves.

A scientist questions everything and avoids simple beliefs, until he or she has the facts and then shuts up.

The Conspiracy theme is a really interesting one. As far as we know it has existed since forever, but what exactly is what differences them from religions, for example? A reasonable person would agree that the Bible isn't an historical account by all means, actually many books contradict themselves, yet many people are still able to believe in such religion and, at the same time, accept scientific facts. The Catholic Church accepts Evolution no problem.

What's inside the mind of conspiracy theorists that doesn't allow them to separate beliefs from facts? I don't know.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
To anyone who denies the moon landing, I always present the Moon mirrors left by the Apollo missions, that anyone can use to measure the distance to the moon.
Strangely, it usually shuts them up.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
You block and hate everyone who doesn't share your views, OP? Sounds like you got bigger problems then a few conflicting opinions if you ask me.

Oct 30, 2017
OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017
You block and hate everyone who doesn't share your views, OP? Sounds like you got bigger problems then a few conflicting opinions if you ask me.

I don't hate them as people but I did this morning as this debate raged ha. I tend to block people temporarily when I'm stuck in group chats that revolve around politics. They can be toxic and it impacts my mood at work so yea

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017

I thankfully don't know anyone who denies the moon landings, but I would have a hard time respecting someone who believed conspiracy theories like that. Maybe I'm a judgemental person, but I can't be friends with people who I don't respect.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorta baffled by the responses along the lines of "this is a trivial thing to be bothered by". This isn't friends liking bell bottomed pants or Nickelback. They're friends who basically can't think like a grown up and live in pretendland. I would find it exhausting too.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, believing in conspiracy theories is definetly not "trivial" and the people who believe that have no clue how much damage widespread belief i conspiracies can do to a society.

When facts become optional is when children die of preventable diseases and history can be bent to espouse all sorts of horrible and dangerous ideologies.

Believing in moon hoax conspiracies is more harmless than way being anti-vaccine, but it further erodes trust in scientific and historical institutions that should otherwise be where people go to for facts.

Edit: a good quote to reinforce my point.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political & cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
The Moon is a Ridiculous Liberal Myth.

It amazes me that so many allegedly "educated" people have fallen so quickly and so hard for a fraudulent fabrication of such laughable proportions. The very idea that a gigantic ball of rock happens to orbit our planet, showing itself in neat, four-week cycles -- with the same side facing us all the time -- is ludicrous. Furthermore, it is an insult to common sense and a damnable affront to intellectual honesty and integrity. That people actually believe it is evidence that the liberals have wrested the last vestiges of control of our public school system from decent, God-fearing Americans (as if any further evidence was needed! Daddy's Roommate? God Almighty!)

Documentaries such as Enemy of the State have accurately portrayed the elaborate, byzantine network of surveillance satellites that the liberals have sent into space to spy on law-abiding Americans. Equipped with technology developed by Handgun Control, Inc., these satellites have the ability to detect firearms from hundreds of kilometers up. That's right, neighbors .. the next time you're out in the backyard exercising your Second Amendment rights, the liberals will see it! These satellites are sensitive enough to tell the difference between a Colt .45 and a .38 Special! And when they detect you with a firearm, their computers cross-reference the address to figure out your name, and then an enormous database housed at Berkeley is updated with information about you.

Of course, this all works fine during the day, but what about at night? Even the liberals can't control the rotation of the Earth to prevent nightfall from setting in (only Joshua was able to ask for that particular favor!) That's where the "moon" comes in. Powered by nuclear reactors, the "moon" is nothing more than an enormous balloon, emitting trillions of candlepower of gun-revealing light. Piloted by key members of the liberal community, the "moon" is strategically moved across the country, pointing out those who dare to make use of their God-given rights at night!

Yes, I know this probably sounds paranoid and preposterous, but consider this. Despite what the revisionist historians tell you, there is no mention of the "moon" anywhere in literature or historical documents -- anywhere -- before 1950. That is when it was initially launched. When President Josef Kennedy, at the State of the Union address, proclaimed "We choose to go to the moon", he may as well have said "We choose to go to the weather balloon." The subsequent faking of a "moon" landing on national TV was the first step in a long history of the erosion of our constitutional rights by leftists in this country. No longer can we hide from our government when the sun goes down..

/s, and with apologies

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
It's frustrating dealing with conspiracy theorists, but getting angry won't accomplish anything except raising your blood pressure.

I have a brother. Love the dude. He's my best friend in the world. But this conspiracy shit seems to have poisoned his mind. Flat Earth, moon landing was fake, 9/11, pizza gate, fossils are fake, etc . . . Shit has branched off wildly, and everything seems like a fucking conspiracy to him now. Hearing inane shit like that makes me extremely angry. I keep blowing up on him, and don't like it. Despite him believing this crazy shit, it doesn't feel worth destroying our relationship over. But god does hearing that shit irritate me. I just can't let it go. But I'm not convincing him of a damn thing, so it's fruitless for me to get so upset and angry.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can never fight conspiracy theorists with logic. What you can do is throw in a conspiracy theory to disrupt their personal ones.

jet_fuel.png

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 30, 2017
When they try to argue such nonsense, but response back with a massive well-timed ass-slapper of a fart. Perhaps even a wet one for extra points.

The massive fart would be a more nuanced and reasonable response than their inane conspiracy garbage rhetoric.