• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Follow a team of UCLA anthropologists as they venture into the stuffed-to-capacity homes of dual income, middle-class American families in order to truly understand the food, toys, and clutter that fill them. [11/2013] [Show ID: 25712]

Older video but pretty cool seeing overconsumption being given an academic approach. This was before Marie Kondo came in the picture. I personally doubt Marie Kondo, as great as she is, has had any major effects.

The video mentions but the real problem is that if you want to dispose of "stuff" it does require proactivity--have a garage sale, pack up things to theGoodwill, put a Facebook Marketplace post.

So it's just easier to keep the stuff in your house.

While I'm not a minimalist, I do believe in purges and editing. I also find moving to be a good catalyst to purge, but if you're in a home for decades, there are fewer moments to assess all your crap.

I think this is why I always appreciated small space living, you learn to edit. This is something you see in Marie Kondo's home country of Japan as well. Tiny living spaces, but not much clutter.

Some of the clutter in these households were also causing significant stress.

From the comments lol.

"A house is just a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get more stuff." ― George Carlin

Another quote from the documentary. Obviously from 2013 data, but I doubt it is better today.

The US has 3.1 percent of the world's children but consumes 40 percent of the world's toys.

Last edited:

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
In the US in particular people in general have so much stuff they have to rent out storage space for the overflow of stuff. There are so many storage rentals all over the place...
We bought the smallest house we could find last year and have plenty of room for the two of us and out belongings that we actually use and need.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
This feels directed specifically at me lol. We have lots and lots of stuff. It is all organized, clean, and kept in great condition. Then I remember my kids toyroom upstairs that is packed to the ceiling with old stuff that my wife & kids are not ready to let go yet. Unplayed toys, a disassembled bunk bed, totes of old books and clothing, ect. The amount of bullshit in the room never shrinks and only grows. If it were up to me I would give everything in there to Goodwill.

As for me, I have several hundred Lego sets that need to be broken down and sold. That clutter is currently filling my wife's hobby room. Selling all that Lego is a part time job and I dread it. If I could dump it all off on one buyer at a loss, I totally would.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I remember this video, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen the whole thing. I'm rewatching it in the background now.

You highlight that it is often more effort to dispose of something than it is to just keep it. I think this is a really interesting duality to the disposable aspects of a lot of American consumerism. So much of what we consume is designed to be disposed of, so we have an adjusted view of what is easy to dispose of. There are systems for things like trading in cell phones and game consoles, so these are exempt from the challenges of disposal. Many cities have curbside trash pickup, but they limit what you can throw out to whatever fits in your city-issued receptacles or bags. So this creates a deadzone in between "things that fit in the trash can" and "things with systemized trade-ins." Stuff in this deadzone just languishes in the house or apartment for years, especially if it's "still good."

Because as much as people throw out, most people still are apprehensive about throwing away something that's perfectly good. This is where the proactivity is required to unload. You have to donate it or have a yard sale, like you mentioned. But the effort it takes to load something into the car and take it to Goodwill or the time it takes out of your weekend to have a yard sale is enough to keep is in the closet or in the garage for years and years and years.

My own eye opening experience was when I was making plans to move out of that apartment in 2020. I was going through my closet and found totes worth of stuff I moved into the apartment in 2016 that I never even unpacked from the move. It wasn't trash or anything - it wasn't anything that warranted throwing out - but this was a big Rubbermaid tote in my closet that took up the entire footprint of said closet which I had just worked around and piled things on top of for 4+ years. I started looking around the apartment, which had a lot of "out of sight, out of mind" storage, and found so many things we moved in with and never touched, or things we accumulated as gifts and never used, and I thought to myself we have so much stuff for no reason.

I loaded up my car half a dozen times that day and just donated round after round of stuff. It felt really good to be rid of all that weight. In the more than a year it's been since then, I am always so aware of things that secretly take up space. The pots and pans in the cabinet that we never actually use, the boots and shoes by the front door we never actually wear, all sorts of things that occupy precious space in plain sight but manage to be invisible unless you approach your belongings very critically.

Something I try to do now is to try to imagine everything I care about in to my car, not including furniture. There is something secure and comforting to think, if I needed to, I could fit everything that matters to me in my vehicle and relocate it. This doesn't mean everything I own, because inevitably you will own things that are nice to have but are not truly important, but it helps me keep track of what matters, what doesn't, and what might be able to go into the next donation purge.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope people watch this because the video goes into more than just "well we have stuff": toys/chotskis, food, space, etc

I think this comes down to a few things, most importantly is just the growth of home sizes over the years. Homes are now fairly large at 2500-3000 square feet when they used to be way smaller. This all contributed to more space == more room to fill. Our house is 1100 sq feet TOPS and it forces us to be smart about storage and purging.

The food situation is 100% a real issue b/c, like the video said, going to Costco to buy 15 meals in a box is super easy and and offers flexibility. I thought it was interesting though that it found on average it only saved a family 12 minutes but I think what this over looks is with food just sitting in an oven warming mom/dad can keep an eye on the kids more easily.

I do think the age of this shows a hair b/c a lot of the issues in the space/clutter part are being solved by digital: books, school announcements, pictures, etc. All of this is now more easily kept digitally and should bring it down some.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just upgraded my NAS to x4 18 TB's hard drives so I can download all the internets. I'm a digital hoarder.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I hope people watch this because the video goes into more than just "well we have stuff": toys/chotskis, food, space, etc

I think this comes down to a few things, most importantly is just the growth of home sizes over the years. Homes are now fairly large at 2500-3000 square feet when they used to be way smaller. This all contributed to more space == more room to fill. Our house is 1100 sq feet TOPS and it forces us to be smart about storage and purging.

The food situation is 100% a real issue b/c, like the video said, going to Costco to buy 15 meals in a box is super easy and and offers flexibility. I thought it was interesting though that it found on average it only saved a family 12 minutes but I think what this over looks is with food just sitting in an oven warming mom/dad can keep an eye on the kids more easily.

I do think the age of this shows a hair b/c a lot of the issues in the space/clutter part are being solved by digital: books, school announcements, pictures, etc. All of this is now more easily kept digitally and should bring it down some.
Grocery delivery is also bigger these days, accelerated by COVID. Grocery delivery is a massive timesaver. This was not as common in 2013 outside of bigger cities probably.

But all the big grocers are doubling down on it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I've been trying to slowly decrease the clutter, my biggest issue is I have a lot of storage bins of stuff that I could use to store the stuff I'm using/want to keep, but they're full of old junk that has to go so my good stuff is just haphazardly stored on top of them.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I think I've only known one person with a home that didn't look packed down to hell in my lifetime. It's such a miserable envirement

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The internationalist magazine did a collection of postcards set around the world to show the average contents of a house(laid out outside), the US was pretty wild compared to everywhere else.

Oct 25, 2017
Grocery delivery is also bigger these days, accelerated by COVID. Grocery delivery is a massive timesaver.

But that still doesn't solve the issue of over buying because you _might_ run out of something. I do agree though that food/meal delivery may have curbed this a lot but I also think that's where a bit of the age of this video shines through. For these folks their value is saved in buying bulk where more millenial/genx families their time is worth more than buying meals from Blue Apron or Instacart.

I'd love to see a follow up focusing on folks of that generation vs the boomer gen

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I always go through cycles of getting rid of things and buying more to replace it, but have been getting better about it. They are right that is requires you to be proactive about it and that can be daunting, unless you're planning to donate it all. I've sold a lot of what I've owned the past several years and it feels like a second job at times. Finding fair prices, taking pictures, listing things on various sites. It's a lot easier to just donate it all and be done. It does feel good to have all the extra space though.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The internationalist magazine did a collection of postcards set around the world to show the average contents of a house(laid out outside), the US was pretty wild compared to everywhere else.
It's also because the US has tons of cheap land and space. Outside of the major metros, there's just tons of unused land.

Plus the rise in home sizes.

And then the rise of SUVs and Trucks. The US just loves everything big lol.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah about three years ago I started making a habit of, twice a year at least, just loading up the back of the car with stuff and figuring out a donation plan for it. Its pretty much always usable and in good condition and I can get rid of it if I tell myself its going to a good home, and it's definitely helped keep my life from becoming a mess

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i'm in a mode now where i have shelf space for stuff and if i fill up the shelf, then i need to get rid of some stuff if i want to add more to the shelf. books, games, cds, movies - they all have their spot and it isn't going to be in piles in a closet or garage.

the consuming of stuff happened in my teenage years and early 20s, when i finally had some disposable income to have fun with on my own. then i went overboard with it. now i'm coming back down from it. i still have 60+ video games that i purchased with the intent of playing 'some day' but left even some in the wrapping. in my last clean, i made sure to unwrap every single one of them to get the 'but it's collectible' thoughts out of my head if i was going to keep them.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
The US has 3.1 percent of the world's children but consumes 40 percent of the world's toys.
Yeah, damn, this adds up.

UK, but we had our first child last year, hardly buy him anything at all (he's 18 months - he usually prefers the boxes toys come in to the toys themselves) and are very sustainability-minded so buy second hand whenever we do make purchases. But thanks to extended family he's still got so many toys that it's often impossible to cross from one side of the living room to the other without moving them out the way. I'm genuinely dreading xmas.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, damn, this adds up.

UK, but we had our first child last year, hardly buy him anything at all (he's 18 months - he usually prefers the boxes toys come in to the toys themselves) and are very sustainability-minded so buy second hand whenever we do make purchases. But thanks to extended family he's still got so many toys that it's often impossible to cross from one side of the living room to the other without moving them out the way. I'm genuinely dreading xmas.
Kids are notoriously moody and fickle with toys anyway. You buy them their favorite toy and that same toy is abandoned in a week lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Kids are notoriously moody and fickle with toys anyway. You buy them their favorite toy and that same toy is abandoned in a week lol.

This is abig reason my wife and I try to not buy toys for our nieces and nephews. We try to get a specific item they want or the parents feel they might need over just buying some random toy.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I loaded up my car half a dozen times that day and just donated round after round of stuff. It felt really good to be rid of all that weight. In the more than a year it's been since then, I am always so aware of things that secretly take up space. The pots and pans in the cabinet that we never actually use, the boots and shoes by the front door we never actually wear, all sorts of things that occupy precious space in plain sight but manage to be invisible unless you approach your belongings very critically.

'Tis a brilliant post, and one that I can genuinely relate to too, although it's this paragraph that made me have a brief flashback to the time when I went through a Gumtree (UK equivalent of Craigslist) and charity shop phase whereby I sold the things I knew had value, and donated the rest that was perfectly fine but not a necessity/essential item to keep.

The satisfaction you feel afterwards is immensely gratifying!

I travelled quite a lot during my early twenties, and I will always remember my time in Fiji whereby the Fijians had the absolute basic essentials in their huts/shacks and enjoying their life with big smiles on their faces.

Made me appreciate the necessities of (my) life an awful lot more.

Here's a companion thread that folks may wish to browse/post after reading this thread — Minimalism |OT|

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
This thread reminds me I have two large plastic crates full of nerd shit I need to throw out.

Oct 27, 2017
I downscaled from a 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apartment several years ago and got rid of around half our stuff. It took about 3 months but I either donated things or did runs to the dump. I've since done pretty well keeping things relatively minimal.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I have enough space for my things and I like my house to look like someone lives there. I keep it pretty well organized though. I hate those sterile, empty looking spaces.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

My kids have a billion toys they never play with. As parents, we figured out a decade ago that our kids would rather have technology instead of toys, so we did a full shift in that direction. Despite us telling friends & family not to buy them anymore toys, they still opened toys for another 10 years from those same people every Xmas and birthday. They are teenagers now and my mother switched to buying clothes instead. Same problem. Teenagers don't want clothes that grandma picks out no matter how great or expensive they are!

My father in law has it right. He has been giving them heaps of cash for almost a decade, helping to fill up/top off checking & savings accounts. I fully intend on doing this for my grandkids someday. Building up a nest egg is the best gift you can give a kid over time. They get a portion of the money to spend, and the rest is regulated to their various accounts.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like my house is stuffed to the gills. 2500 sq ft and every room is packed. My wife just constantly buying stuff...

got the toy issue with my son. My wife put an Advent calendar on the wall and my son gets a little toy in the daily pocket EVERY DAY.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
We're looking to move into a bigger place, largely so that we have room for our stuff, lol.

Admittedly, a lot of it will likely get purged during that process, but I'd like to be able to actually sort and store things so that everything isn't just stacked in boxes everywhere, impossible to access and use.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I think my issue is most of the stuff I get is big. Like, my hobbies are video games (not too bad), Guitar, running, and woodworking. So my garage is full of tools and my office is full of guitar gear and our spare room has a bigass treadmill and rowing machine and shoes everywhere. Luckily I've been switching to digital for most movies and games so that's less space.

But then I also have every power or miscellaneous cable that I've ever owned in a few boxes. Like, I'm not gonna need 7 different sizes of coax cables or the phone charger from my 2008 Sanyo phone but I have them for some reason.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
There is one very consumerist room in my house, and that's my toy room. It looks like a little museum for my childhood. Other than that most of the rooms in my house are pretty bare. Almost all my media is digital now. I refuse to buy furniture to fill up rooms I don't really use. I have a rule that we must always be able to comfortably park both cars in the garage and the garage may only be used for cars and gardening equipment.

I keep a list of every non-consumable item we own, so I try to keep that pared down so it's not too annoying to manage.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with a business that sells stuff, I like it when people like stuff :)

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
My wife was very into Marie Kondo for a while but that didn't stop her from buying every possible massage machine and other gadgets. Also my house is a plant sanctuary, we're way past 15 plants. Two cats, but if I wasn't pushing hard we'd be up to four cats and two dogs by now.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
My family definitely struggles with this. Toys and clothes are the worst offenders. One thing I have found to be helpful is internalizing that a lot of our unused stuff may still have some value, but it's marginal at best. Stuff that may make the cut at Goodwill, but is just as likely to end up in the dumpster. So I just skip the Goodwill/eBay part and put things right in the trash. Of course, the second and probably more important part of the process is acquiring less stuff to begin with. That remains a work in progress.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I have a hard time getting rid of some toys my kids no longer use because I still wish I had some of my toys from when I was a kid that I got rid of

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
This is my mom. She has like 10 of everything, none of it very good quality. Like if you go to get a corkscrew in her house there is a drawer with like 10 corkscrews, some of them basically broken, others in weird sizes, etc. Every surface just has "stuff" on it - magazines, candles, decorative bowls, whatever.

It's not hoarder level or anything, but you could literally throw away 80% of her belongings and have zero impact on her day to day life.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Yeaaaaahhhh....we have a TON of toys.

Our house is a lot less cluttered than most of those pictures though. We are moving into our new home on the 21st. We'll have 1000sqft± more, but that's actually going to help out a ton with toys/play things. We're adding another bedroom and big play room for our kids. That play room will now inherit all the toys that are split between a couple rooms. We have 3 kids, one is a teenager, and only 2 rooms between all 3 of them right now. All my "stuff" is in bins in the garage, rather than the house. I've not had anywhere for my stuff since the 3 year old was born. All 4 bedrooms have walk in closets this time too, so I'm pretty sure my wife will not allow any excuses for clutter in bedrooms/rooms 🤣.

Trashed a lot of stuff so far getting ready for the move.

I have a hard time getting rid of some toys my kids no longer use because I still wish I had some of my toys from when I was a kid that I got rid of

I keep "name brand" stuff or things of theirs I think will hold value.

I have Toys from my childhood (a lot) from Power Rangers to sports cards and other brands. Some of them are worth THOUSANDS of dollars now. There's probably $50k-$100k in collectibles in my garage. Just my Star Wars and Video Games (hundreds of them across 40 years worth of consoles I also have) are worth thousands of dollars. It can be hard to get rid of things that just keep increasing in value. My wife would toss one of my bins just to get rid of the clutter, even if it has a figure in it worth $1k.

I do sell things occasionally to pay for things, like a vacation, or something expensive I want.

Last edited:

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I have purposefully avoided buying into the larger house lifestyle. My philosophy was that a larger house just means more rooms to fill with junk I don't need, and more stress to maintain and keep it clean. Easy to say when you don't have kids I'm sure.

Oct 25, 2017
we have this problem now. too much stuff. what to do with old toys? just in the garage. need to move in the spring to a larger home, will have to rent 4 storage units this time to de-clutter. days of garage sales just seem long gone. usually we give our housekeepers what we've outgrown.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I've managed to live with my husband in a 560 sq ft condo. Had to learn a lot about "what matters" and what really fucking doesn't. For example, I don't buy physical games or movies much anymore, and I definitely don't buy useless collector's editions with toys and statues that fill up space anymore. I don't keep boxes for more than a day and I've had to learn to minimize space used and maximize utility. We could use a larger space just for mental health reasons, but we're doing okay in a place as small as we are living.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wife and I have a pretty solid purge policy, every few years we get a dumpster and throw out anything we've accumulated that we don't need. Only things we've spent energy selling was furniture since it was hundreds of dollars, everything else we can't be bothered to sell and a lot of it is mostly useless crap anyway.

Should mention that our kid is about to be 1 and the accumulation of junk rate is increasing so it might have to become every year that we get a dumpster

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
This wouldn't be a problem in my house if it wasn't for boomer grandparents. They were brainwashed to buy things constantly. They buy more things for my kids than my wife or I.

It drives me crazy, so crazy that I finally blew up and drove home to my parents that their wastefulness would no longer be tolerated. I told them big, bulky plastic toys would not be opened and would be returned to the store or donated. I went through with it and they finally got the message. They ask us if we're okay with whatever they're thinking about buying the kids now. My life (and my kids) is much better because of it.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Prior to meeting my partner, I lived in a 1 bedroom apartment and only had enough to furnish my bedroom only. I had a twin sized bed, a desk where I kept my monitor and game consoles, and a waist-high bookshelf full of other possessions, aside from my modest wardrobe. I had lived my entire adult life since leaving for college at age 18 with a dorm/single bedroom's worth of possessions (age 18-30, then I met my partner). This was my first time living in a unit entirely by myself, so all my stuff just fit in my bedroom and my living room and extra den was completely empty.

After being with my partner for the past 4 years, I've fully furnished my apartment and it's cluttered to hell with stuff. Mostly my partner's stuff, but I've certainly expanded my possessions as well. I still feel weird returning home from work to my apartment and just seeing how much stuff I have now.

Kinda wish I could get back to minimal. My partner watches and admires Marie Kondo but has had difficulty committing to paring down their possessions. But like I've said, I'm certainly guilty of expanding my stuff in the past 4 years, too.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've managed to live with my husband in a 560 sq ft condo. Had to learn a lot about "what matters" and what really fucking doesn't. For example, I don't buy physical games or movies much anymore, and I definitely don't buy useless collector's editions with toys and statues that fill up space anymore. I don't keep boxes for more than a day and I've had to learn to minimize space used and maximize utility. We could use a larger space just for mental health reasons, but we're doing okay in a place as small as we are living.
Collector's Editions are the bane of collecting useless stuff. Thanks for the free "coin" that now sits at the bottom of my "stuff drawer", and the bad quality figurine collecting dust.

Yeah. CEs are an easy purge now. It's so easy to be tempted by buying trash, but I think as soon as yourl purge once it becomes easier to see the things in life you need versus... stuff you literally NEVER need lol

Oct 29, 2017
Owning too many things gives me tons of anxiety, so we don't have a lot. I do have tons of books, but those organize neatly on bookshelves (and also look nice), so those are okay. But I don't collect collectibles anymore, and routinely donate/sell stuff I no longer need.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My friends poke fun at me sometimes because I basically have an entire empty section of my apartment. But it's like...I don't need anything else. I have everything I need from a furniture standpoint, and adding extra "stuff" just to fill in spaces seems like a waste of money.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Moving to different continents twice transformed me from a ""collector"" to a semi-minimalist out of necessity. I hate stuff now. So much wasted money and added burden.

Oct 27, 2017
My parents have this problem, but in some ways it's severe. They have accumulated, through legit means, a lot of stuff in the two decades in their current house (grandparents estate, mom retired from teaching - omg so much teacher stuff), but none of it ever leaves now. We found a box of broken extension cables my dad keeps because he'll "put new connectors on them." No you won't, dad. Toss them...I beg you.