• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No wonder. Imagine being in your late 20s-early 30s and raising a teen.

????

Why is that troublesome? what

Troublesome bc of hormones and lack of maturity, not necessarily age range. A teen mid puberty being a babysitter to someone potentially just hitting puberty themselves.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
15 feels too young to babysit a teenager, she herself was a teenager. Not an age where she could sort what's right or wrong. And she proved that she didn't.
Troublesome bc of hormones and lack of maturity, not necessarily age range. A teen mid puberty being a babysitter to someone potentially just hitting puberty themselves.

Idk why a 12 year old needs a babysitter, but it just sounds like you expect teenagers are gonna fuck whenever they can, which is a weird take.

Teenagers know what's right and wrong, doesn't mean they won't make bad decisions.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
A grandfather but can't retire, that's a terrible deal there if you ask me.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
In cases like this I mostly hope the family can give the new parents the support they need

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's certainly not for me, but if that's how they want to live their life more power to them. I'm sure in eras gone by this would be far more common than it is now.

A family is creepy? I think it's pretty amazing. I can imagine they all feel pretty supported and proud.
I personally wouldn't feel proud of having children that young over so many generations and intentionally overpopulating the planet. We need less people being born, not more.

So yes, creepy.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
It may be normalized to wait on kids and pregnant teens have it tougher but it's not the end of the world. My mom had her first kid at 17 and we turned out fine.

I'm just weary of the leap from, 'it's harder and you shouldn't do it' to a stance that says, 'you are ruining your life and people who have kids at an early age are __________', *insert negative connotation*.

This thread feels like the latter. Judgemental. Meanwhile, our history is filled with family disowned because they made a mistake. Too much worry about what people say, not enough love.

I saw a Twitter video of 6 generations of women, walking past the camera, saying 'come on mom'. I can't find it but it was beautiful. Waiting until your 30s is a western civilization thing and it comes with it's own set of problems.

Having kids at an early age is difficult, for many reasons. Not least of all because humans are shit. It worked well for my mom because she relied on my grandmother to help out. But what if the general job market didn't treat mothers as trash? As if kids were a big inconvenience? That's not a putting your penis in the wrong place thing. That's a people are greedy dicks.

Adequate early child care would help a lot of people, including young single mothers but we can't have that. Pull yourself up by your fallopian tubes. Early, universal child care would let them go on and thrive. And reduce the stigma.

Affordable college would help single young mothers out but same reasons. We don't want to find solutions. Adequate transportation? Nope, got to keep black people out of certain neighborhoods. Hell, pull out an AR if certain people enter your gated community.

Like, we know why it's hard but trying to change the system is harder, even if it would protect kids, which we can easily agree is a worthy endeavor.

But we've decided to give up on that and lay the burden on kids responding to natural hormones.

In summary, I wouldn't advise having kids at an early age but I remember being a kid. I had sex before I was ready to care for a kid and I got lucky. But it's not the end of the world and I would love to leave that bullshit judgement back in the past. The biggest problems to teen pregnancy ain't the teens. It's rich people wanting lesser government.

It's the assholes who decided sex Ed isn't a good thing or don't want to give out condoms for free. It's the jerks who decided you can't get universal maternity leave or even paternity leave. It's the assholes who decided to raise minimum wage 2 dollars over 20 years. It's definitely the Fuck Bois who don't want universal health insurance.

And it's us, joking about it instead of realizing the truth.

The USA is fucking broken. As well as a lot of other western ciivilizations.

AliasGreed

Oct 31, 2017
I have a close friend who has a 16 year old son that just had a baby with his girlfriend. My friend had his son when he was 16.

This is crazy to be honest, I'm close to 30 and don't think I will have any children soon let alone be a grandfather any time soon.

Anyone else have know similar situations?

It's not that bad OP , if they can manage. My wife beat friend had her two daughters when she was 15 and 17 (around there). Shes 37 know, her two daughters are in college and they are año grown ups enjoying life together and getting old together. She beat the odds but if you do the outcome is pretty great.

I'm 38 I just had my first child, I'll be in my 50s when my kid is college age.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it so hard to have safe sex.

In the US, at least, it was only very recently that Sex-Education switched from "don't do it until you marry or you'll get AIDS and DIE!" to "please just wear a condom/take birth control." And in some conservative areas, the former is still more or less what it taught.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
In the US, at least, it was only very recently that Sex-Education switched from "don't do it until you marry or you'll get AIDS and DIE!" to "please just wear a condom/take birth control." And in some conservative areas, the former is still more or less what it taught.
Yeah more conservative areas are pretty fucked. Trying to get rid of all the Planned Parenthoods is basically a "FUCK YOUR CONTRACEPTIVES AND SEX EDUCATION" move.

Backwards cavemen desperately trying to hold onto their control.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Probably will :v Pretty sure I remember a study where it was mentioned that it was highly common for the children of people who had kids in their teens, to also have their own kids in their teens.

And OP.. well "at least" he was 16. Once during high school, I remember they celebrated a baby shower at school for a 9th grader that was pregnant.. and yes it was as strange as it sounds.
in my hs we had a daycare/ child care class for student parents. which imo is a great thing to have.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Be 48 and a Great Grandfather at this rate. I'm currently 44 and just had a nap on this fine Sunday. Will watch a movie later, maybe play a game. Well done on having the sex is about all I can say to your friend OP.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
My aunt was able to see her grand daughter's grand son before she passed away few years ago. (5 generations).

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I had a patient who had a baby with his babysitter when he was 12 years old. The babysitter gave the baby to boy's parents and they adopted him. He was 42 when I met him and his son was 30. They looked like brothers rather than father and son and the son called his father by his name.
Yeah my wife was a Plunket nurse (they go around and do baby checks etc) and one of her clients was 14, and the grandmother who was like 40ish had also had a child? Pretty crazy

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
I had a patient who had a baby with his babysitter when he was 12 years old. The babysitter gave the baby to boy's parents and they adopted him. He was 42 when I met him and his son was 30. They looked like brothers rather than father and son and the son called his father by his name.
My grandpa had kind of the same thing. He had an "uncle and aunt" who were actually his brother and sister. My great grandma had them both before the age of 14.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
_92826987_lethbridgefamily.jpg

eldest is 96 her daughter is 75 whose daughter is 59 whose daughter is 39, and her daughter is 20
[/SPOILER]
The rate of ageing between 59 and 75 is scary.

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico
in my hs we had a daycare/ child care class for student parents. which imo is a great thing to have.

As in a class to teach students who are parents the basics? That seems like a good idea.

Over here, some public schools have something similar, but for all students. They are given a mechanical baby which in all senses is like a real one: it cries, needs diaper changes, have to be feeded, receive pats for gases, and so on. And their grade depends on well they take care of the "baby". Progress is track by a matching bracelet that cannot be taken off till the proyect ends. Taking the bracelet off or letting the baby "die" leads to a automatic F.
Thankfully, I dodged that bullet as I ended up going to a Commerce specialized, but public, high school.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
If your well off it's probably not a big deal having a family. But to some it's a huge financial burden. Some will have children. Some will die alone and be the end of their family lineage.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
As in a class to teach students who are parents the basics? That seems like a good idea.
yes
Over here, some public schools have something similar, but for all students. They are given a mechanical baby which in all senses is like a real one: it cries, needs diaper changes, have to be feeded, receive pats for gases, and so on. And their grade depends on well they take care of the "baby". Progress is track by a matching bracelet that cannot be taken off till the proyect ends. Taking the bracelet off or letting the baby "die" leads to a automatic F.
Thankfully, I dodged that bullet as I ended up going to a Commerce specialized, but public, high school.
lol i thought that kind of thing was only on TV

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico
lol i thought that kind of thing was only on TV

Nah, it still happens in real life :P Some years ago, it was a obligatory full year class and instead of a robotic baby it was with two eggs (yes seriously). Then the funds arrived and the robotic babies came in, and it was phase down to a 1 semester class in the schools that received more equipment, or a elective for the ones who just received residue funds. One of my friends was in one of those schools,and sent me a pic of the thing. I'll see if I can send it via DM because it doesn't let me upload it here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No specific judgement of your friends intelligence. Just made me think of idiocracy.

3411aa64-3ba4-4e57-90a1-a56c99ee305a_text.gif

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
it's only natural for the grandson to impregnate some at 16 too.

if it doesn't happen then the laws of nature don't work

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This was probably very common back 150 years ago when kids were marrying and having kids at 15.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
What the hell. Was that in Turkey?

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
_92826987_lethbridgefamily.jpg

eldest is 96 her daughter is 75 whose daughter is 59 whose daughter is 39, and her daughter is 20
[/SPOILER]

So the ages they gave birth are 19, 20, 16 and 21? The 16 is the only one the really raises eyebrows to me. I know lots of people that graduated high school, got married and didn't go to college and started families by the time they were 20.

/shrug If it works for them, I"m not going to judge them. Is this a cultural thing? As an American, I'm not really sure how other cultures approach starting a family.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell. Was that in Turkey?

Of course not. Paris, France.

Something like that would have been impossible in Turkey. Not only Turkey's average the age when people have their first sex is the highest among the world, Turkey is also one of the countries that have the least amount of sex.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
and then he'll be a great grand-father by 46 and then a great great grandfather by 62. it sure is crazy living in the 1800's.

Mungan

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Good for him, I hope he gets to know his grandchild properly. I never got to know any of my grandparents because they all died when I was little.