• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the site of a church torn down by East Germany's communist rulers, a new place of worship is set to rise that will bring Christians, Jews and Muslims under one roof – and it has already been dubbed a "churmosquagogue".

The foundation stone of the House of One in Berlin will be laid at a ceremony on 27 May, marking the end of 10 years of planning and the beginning of an estimated four years of construction, and symbolising a new venture in interfaith cooperation and dialogue. The €47m building, designed by Berlin architects Kuehn Malvezzi, will incorporate a church, a mosque and a synagogue linked to a central meeting space. People of other faiths and denominations, and those of no faith, will be invited to events and discussions in the large hall.

"The idea is pretty simple," said Roland Stolte, a Christian theologian who helped start the project. "We wanted to build a house of prayer and learning, where these three religions could co-exist while each retaining their own identity."

More at:
www.theguardian.com

Christians, Muslims and Jews to share faith centre in Berlin

€47m building will feature a church, a mosque and a synagogue all linked to a central meeting space

Throw the book at me if old

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But what bar will their leaders all go to on Saturday nights?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I can only hope this successfully promotes tolerance and friendship between those of different faiths.

are there any examples of something similar being attempted, of bridging the gap between different religious communities?

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
e048d4feeb820d3599df962773ea58d8379684b1_hq.gif

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's a project for many years now in the planning and construction, so it is kind of old news.
Fantastic project, I just wished modern buildings weren't usually so blocky and repellent:

csm_rendering-house-of-one_d650189500.gif

It looks like the modern interpretation of a medieval fortress tower with embrasures.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
I can only hope this successfully promotes tolerance and friendship between those of different faiths.

are there any examples of something similar being attempted, of bridging the gap between different religious communities?

Well withdrawing from Eastern Jerusalem, Golan Heights, West Bank and lifting the siege on Gaza would do a whole lot more than this, like a ton more.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a project for many years now in the planning and construction, so it is kind of old news.
Fantastic project, I just wished modern buildings weren't usually so blocky and repellent:

csm_rendering-house-of-one_d650189500.gif

It looks like the modern interpretation of a medieval fortress tower.
Looks like a Nintendo console lmao

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Things like this make me so fucking happy. ;w;

Bosnia's capital Sarajevo is a prime example & so are some other cities/towns. Sarajevo has an Ashkenazi synagogue (the 3rd biggest in Europe), the Husrev-begova mosque (which was built in the 16th century & is drop-dead gorgeous), the catholic cathedral Srca Isusova & the Old (Serbian-)Orthodox church. They're not all in the same building, but it's not like they're super far apart either so Sarajevo & most other parts of Bosnia I've been to feel very mixed when it comes to religion. Bosnia has a shitload of problems, especially with crooked politicians, governments & police forces, but the religious & cultural diversity & how people usually (of course you've got your islamophobic or anti-semitic or just plain anti-religion shits everywhere) will not treat you any different no matter your religion is something I'll always love about it.

which Christian denomination?

I imagine it'll be protestant/evangelical, we don't have too many catholic churches up north or at least not as many as further south. :0

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
Definitely, there is a lot of bullshit happening that needs to be addressed, and I hope I wasn't being insensitive to that situation.

Oh no not at all. I just don't think this does anything tangible really, we've been building churches right next to mosques in Lebanon for decades and we still hate each other.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
which Christian denomination?

Always curious considering "Christian" doesn't mean too much on its own lol

Catholicism and Protestantism are Germany's two predominant Christian denominations. It'll either be a Protestant representative, becaue Berlin is mostly Protestant (it is however also the seat of a Catholic Cathedral) or both denominations will have a representative in this church. I think that will actually be the case, as I have that somehow in my memory. Ecumenism is pretty common in Germany. I'll look it up though.

Shaft

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

This is the first source I can find, but can confirm this is real: https://justalittlefurther.com/just.../cathedrals-mosques-and-temples-in-paramaribo

A mosque, temple and a church next to each other in Surinam. It works. No reason as to why it shouldn't. Been that way a long time. Hate is dumb.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Republican Party houses GOP leaders, Qanon conspiracies, Evangelical values, and drumpferism.
Sadly their synergies promote the opposite effect.

Jan 13, 2018
I think it was the 1991 Tom Clancy novel The Sum of All Fears that ended with Jerusalem being arranged like this, with neutral Swiss Guard to keep the peace if needed. 🤷‍♂️

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I like this! Hopefully everything is kosher between the groups.

This is good.

As far as I know there is nothing wrong with a mosque sharing a building with another religion, I'm pretty sure it's happened before, there might be an issue if they shared a praying space. (e.g. it wouldn't be acceptable to do your prayers where there are crosses/depictions of jesus all around you)

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Not really diggin the design of that building but the idea is cool as hell.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a really good idea and hopefully leads to more interfaith dialogue and acceptance. But good god that building is ugly.

Edit: I hope they got very good security at all times. I can easily see a far-right or Islamist terrorist attacking this place.