• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Yakuza historically has had some pretty gross depictions of Chinese people (one being so offensive they actually changed it for the official Chinese version) that this group was apparently okay with, but the voice actor saying a brief nice message to a person who once read the word "Taiwan" from a Google analytics page is a step too far, lol

Maxroy

Dec 5, 2019

Who is Kiryu Coco? What did Kiryu Coco did?

Come on OP, it's not that hard
Kiryu Coco was a Virtual Youtuber from the popular Vtuber Idol agency Hololive, she chose the name Kiryu as she's a huge fan of the Yakuza games.

Since her debut in December of 2019 she was a victim from constant harassment from Chinese viewers for a myriad of reasons from being of interracial descent in real life, un-idol like in character and most notably 'recognizing' Taiwan as a country while reading analytics on one stream. Since the Taiwan incident Hololives parent company stuck by her even if it meant having to forfeit entering the Chinese market (they had to close their growing Chinese branch soon after).

At the start of June she announced that she would be graduating and leaving the group on July 1st (on good terms with her own reasons) which encouraged messages from across the globe from Xbox Game Pass to her favourite voice actor.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Asking a genuine question here...

Do the majority of the Chinese people sympathize with with the CCP?

Yes.

Vast majority of Chinese people agree with the position of the Chinese government on the Taiwan issue.

I genuinely wonder if this will gain traction beyond pirate sites and if it makes Sega step in. I can't tell with this stuff anymore.

Sega won't step in. Yazuka hasn't offically released in China anyways.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Talk about an inflated sense of self-importance. A fucking pirate site isn't moving the needle in world-politics nor is Sega going to be sad to lose illegal downloads of its game.

AvianAviator

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jun 23, 2021
While the OCP is heinous, I think it's kind of funny that this haughty stance is coming from a piracy website, of all things.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza historically has had some pretty gross depictions of Chinese people (one being so offensive they actually changed it for the official Chinese version) that this group was apparently okay with, but the voice actor saying a brief nice message to a person who once read the word "Taiwan" from a Google analytics page is a step too far, lol
This is my main take away from this. Like their "morals" are all over the place.

CCP bootlickers continue to be huge pieces of shit.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Imagine if writing a tweet to a Vtuber becomes a more effective piracy protection than Denuvo.

Barrakketh

Sep 1, 2020
A hololive alumni

She also said Taiwan and the CCP flipped their shit.
I'd like to bring this up even though it has already been said in this thread: she didn't even say Taiwan. She showed the analytics page for her YouTube account where Google showed Taiwan as its own country.

For extra irony the salty trolls have to use a VPN to access YouTube from their own country since YT is blocked in China so the little shits probably contributed to the Taiwanese viewer count.

OldManLi

Banned
Mar 31, 2021
User Banned (permanent): racism
Man, do we have another coutry population that get offended at the same rate as Chinese? I swear, i never encountered more manbabies than Chinese.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Sega to apologise or "kill" Kiryu in 3...2...1...
Seriously, I expect Sega to bend over on this one, remember when they had one line of dialogue in Yakuza 6 in the hostess club that referenced Taiwan? No? That's because it was patched out super quick after China banned the game for a time.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Seriously, I expect Sega to bend over on this one, remember when they had one line of dialogue in Yakuza 6 in the hostess club that referenced Taiwan? No? That's because it was patched out super quick after China banned the game for a time.
Sega bending over for a piracy site? What?

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It's a piracy website. They're not paying Sega anything so no reason to respond. This is actually a positive for them.

Last edited:

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I guess if you wanna get your game off a Chinese pirate site, just say something nice to her lol

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
- Youtuber says Taiwan is a country
- Chinese folks are angry
- Yakuza voice actor sent nice message to Youtuber.
- Chinese pirate site said they are not illegally hosting the game in retaliation.

?

Nov 1, 2017
In defense of most Chinese citizens agreeing with CCP, they've been indoctrinated since birth and if there was any realistic chance of me getting dragged to a gulag for slave labor and "reeducation" I'd probably agree with everything the CCP said as well.

These particular CCP bootlickers are pathetic shitbirds though, but the idea of "we won't pirate your game now" is quite funny. Unfortunately it can spread towards legitimate resellers refusing to stock the games as well.

Tomba

Mar 10, 2021
so if a pirate chinese web banned yakuza....they're actually helping Sega?

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
That forum does distribute pirated games, but also does some localization and modding. The original statement is that localization efforts on the series will stop.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
The fragility of the CCP chills is quite hillarious but also sad.

Being constantly brainwashed by the ruling party is just disgusting.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
In defense of most Chinese citizens agreeing with CCP, they've been indoctrinated since birth and if there was any realistic chance of me getting dragged to a gulag for slave labor and "reeducation" I'd probably agree with everything the CCP said as well.

These particular CCP bootlickers are pathetic shitbirds though, but the idea of "we won't pirate your game now" is quite funny. Unfortunately it can spread towards legitimate resellers refusing to stock the games as well.
I don't even think that most Chinese people care about geopolitics. There is still a huge portion of Chinese that are poor and undereducated, and the middle class Chinese are just trying to get by. It's not like trust in the government is always absolute either, there has been a lot of criticism for how they handled coronavirus.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
- Youtuber says Taiwan is a country
- Chinese folks are angry
- Yakuza voice actor sent nice message to Youtuber.
- Chinese pirate site said they are not illegally hosting the game in retaliation.

?
That's the gist, except for that first bullet point, she never actually said the name Taiwan iirc, only showed it on screen in her viewer analytics page.

On top of that, the only reason her viewership from Taiwan was so high was because Chinese viewers have to VPN to Taiwan in order to view youtube...

Real stupid to harass her for months for that.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Asking a genuine question here...

Do the majority of the Chinese people sympathize with with the CCP?

This seems like a weird move for pirating website.
Yes, the CPC is popular, which shouldn't come as a surprise given that they can be reasonably argued to have uplifted millions of people out of poverty and turned China into a rising power on the world stage.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
And by now also killed and tortured millions of people.
Never said they weren't authoritarian, in fact it's their popularity that allows them to get away more brazenly with these sorts of abuses since people will just turn the other way or justify it in some way. If they weren't popular, the CPC's iron grip on China would've collapsed long ago

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if threatening to stop pirating the game is as scary as they think it is.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
who knew the best way to fight against piracy was having anyone involved with the game saying free hong kong

Status
Not open for further replies.