• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
UPDATE: If you're reading this more recently, keep in mind that this thread was originally written long before the Activision Blizzard controversy came to light. Had I written this now, none of the ActiBlizz characters would be featured. Fuck Bobby Kotick & fuck Activision Blizzard.

Happy Black History Month, Era! To celebrate the month, I thought I should do a day for various black characters in games. Each week will be dedicated to a specific genre, with a different character per day. If you missed a week, don't sweat it. You can either check below or the threadmarks for a link to said week.
    • Day 1: Twintelle (ARMS)
    • Day 2: Nagoriyuki (Guilty Gear)​
    • Day 3: Sean Matsuda (Street Fighter)​
    • Day 4: Leroy Smith (Tekken)​
    • Day 5: Zasalamel (Soul Calibur)​
    • Day 6: Jacqui Briggs (Mortal Kombat)​
    • Day 7: T.J. Combo (Killer Instinct)​
    • Day 8: Baptiste (Overwatch)​
    • Day 9: Roland (Borderlands)​
    • Day 10: Lifeline (Apex Legends)​
    • Day 11: Marina (Splatoon)​
    • Day 12: Alyx Vance (Half-Life)
    • Day 13: Demoman (Team Fortress)​
    • Day 14: Avery Johnson (Halo)​
    • Day 15: Sheva Alomar (Resident Evil)​
    • Day 16: Rodin (Bayonetta)​
    • Day 17: Cherry Hunter (Streets of Rage)
    • Day 18: Shinobu Jacobs (No More Heroes)​
    • Day 19: Cere Junda (Star Wars)​
    • Day 20: Aveline de Grandpré (Assassin's Creed)​
    • Day 21: Billie Lurk (Dishonored)​
    • Day 22: Barret Wallace (Final Fantasy)
    • Day 23: Nessa (Pokémon)​
    • Day 24: Abdonis (Ring Fit Adventure)​
    • Day 25: Cyrus (The Elder Scrolls)​
    • Day 26: Clementine (The Walking Dead)​
    • Day 27: Doc Louis (Punch-Out)​
    • Day 28: Vivienne de Fer (Dragon Age)​
    • Day +1: Have Black Characters Be Voiced By Black Actors​
    • Day +2: Improve Options For Afrocentric Hair Styles​
    • Day +3: Take The Time To Depict Black People Properly​
    • Day +4: Hire More Black Executives & Developers​
    • Day +5: Cut It Out With The Stereotypes​
    • Day +6: Don't Be Afraid To Make Darker-Skinned Black Women​
    • Day +7: Make More Black Characters In General​
I've already decided most of the characters, in case you're wondering. And here are the criteria...
  1. The character cannot be ambiguously dark-skinned.
    • This mainly applies to the likes of Elma (Xenoblade), Ramlethal Valentine (Guilty Gear), & Steve (Minecraft).
  2. Only one character per franchise.
    • Otherwise Final Fantasy would dominate the RPGs & More section with two from Pokémon.
  3. The characters have to have originated from a video game.
    • This mainly applies to the likes of Black Panther, Miles Morales, Storm, & Cyborg.
    • The character can be from an established multimedia franchise if their point of origin is still a video game.
But all the same, I'm gonna go into details about these characters, what I like about them, & what I don't like. And keep in mind, my critiques don't mean that I hate the characters by any means (otherwise they wouldn't be on the list). I'm just bringing up how I think the developers can improve their representation of black people going forward. With that being said, here are the top-voted characters for each week. The RPGs & More section is still being voted on, so that'll be added when voting concludes. But as for the other three, they're shown below. And if you want to learn more about their respective weeks, the links are both at the top of this post as well as the threadmarks. Anyway, here they are.

WEEK 1: TOP-VOTED FIGHTING GAME CHARACTER

DAY 1: TWINTELLE (ARMS)

Switch_ARMS_characterart_06.png

Let's be honest, you all knew I was gonna start with the Silver Screen Queen who should have been the ARMS rep in Smash Ultimate (not hating on Min Min, mind you, she's the 2nd best pick they could have made). And as many of you are aware, Twintelle is one of the few instances of melanin in a Nintendo game (lord knows Smash Ultimate could used some). Regarding her story, Twintelle started her career in the spotlight as part of the same record label as Ribbon Girl. But according to Biff (the announcer for ARMS), she eventually decided to pursue a career in acting, so she & Ribbon Girl parted ways in terms of them working together. This soon led Twintelle to establishing Twintelle Productions, eventually resulting in a productive career as a world-famous actress in the world of ARMS (thus earning the aforementioned moniker). To address the obvious elephant in the room, Twintelle is the only known character who possesses the ARMS gene that had said gene materialize in the form of her hair rather than her actual arms. Twintelle also possesses the ability to slow down time around her opponents, which helps Twintelle stand out compared to her fellow combatants (Fun Fact: That mask is a free mask issued by ARMS Labs & is meant for being able to take control of said extendable limbs, as the arms would be more-or-less useless without the mask being on). This fact has caught the interest of ARMS Labs, who have tried & failed to have Twintelle come in for examination.

stLi7p5.jpg

Twintelle always comes dressed to impress, fitting considering her status as a top-tier actress.

As for her design, Yabuki's team at Nintendo EPD Group 9 (in cooperation with Nintendo of America & Nintendo of Europe) did a great job with Twintelle. She's probably the 2nd biggest fan-favorite of the ARMS cast (at least in the West, Ninjara is in 2nd over in Japan), behind only Min Min. As far as her design is concerned, it's a great one. Twintelle skin complexion jells perfectly with her white sleeveless shirt, which is styled extravagantly in a way that shows that she takes her fashion very seriously. And on that topic, her shoes are basically sneaker heels are the perfect expression of her duality of form & function. Normally I'm not big on characters wearing heels in fighting games (namely for practicality reasons), but I'm known to make exceptions when they thematically fit the character in question. And the symbolism of Twintelle's sneaker heels are so great that I'm willing to make such an exception here. As for critiques that I have with Twintelle, I have two. One, I wish that they gave Twintelle a bit more muscle. Canonically, Twintelle hits the gym quite often & is actually stronger than series poster boy Spring Man. As such, I wish that Nintendo took a cue from Street Fighter & let her have a decent amount of muscle for her regular arms.

87Hpuh9.jpg

Even with her normal arms, Twintelle benches more than Spring Man.

Another issue I have is with her voice actress. Because ARMS did all of its voice recording in Japan, Nintendo EPD Group 9 stuck with actors in the general area of the studio. In Twintelle's case, she's voiced by French singer Adeyto Rex Angeli. Having white actors in PoC roles seems to be a recurring problem with Nintendo (Claude, Cyril, & Dedue being recent examples for Nintendo's characters of color), one that I hope is addressed going forward. And even outside of Nintendo, Twintelle is far from the only character who has this problem (even of the characters I have planned). To take a bit of a tangent to focus on the topic, the most famous example of this is Nadine Ross from Uncharted (she was in the running to be listed under Action), being voiced by Laura Bailey. While granted, Laura was cast prior to Nadine's design being finalized, she should have been recast when Nadine's design was locked in. Going back to Twintelle, while this isn't a big problem with Twintelle specifically, I wish that there were more black women with darker skin. There are some examples in gaming already (one will be talked about later in the month), but there should be more. But that goes more into colorism in games, which is a topic that was covered in beautiful detail by our own celes (who was actually among the people who helped me out with this thread). Please check out her thread when you get the chance.
www.resetera.com

Colorism in video games (Open spoilers)

Before I start: I just want to make it clear that you can like a character, game, an artist, a publisher, etc. in isolation while still acknowledging that looked at within the greater context, that thing you like might be contributing to the reinforcement of harmful stereotypes or imagery that...
I guess Twintelle being more sexualized than the others does fall into colorism to a degree, but one could also attribute that to her profession as a film actress (but even then, the argument remains). Thankfully ARMS doesn't sexualize her too much, & the degree to which she is sexualized never feels degrading to her character. But if that's thanks to NoA & NoE's assistance with Twintelle's creation or because of the game's E10+ rating preventing things from going too far is unknown. Still, it's something to consider & an issue that I hope is fixed in the near future. Though regarding Twintelle as a whole, she's a great character who I hope gets a chance to shine even more in the future, both within ARMS as a franchise & hopefully as a character in the next Smash game (because Smash's lack of melanin is getting annoying at this point).

WEEK 2: TOP-VOTED CHARACTER FROM SHOOTERS

DAY 12: ALYX VANCE (HALF-LIFE)

QBb2cfn.png

Half-Life is a series that means a lot to a ton of people, one that took years until it got a new entry. But when it finally got a new game, not only did it become the marquee game for VR, it also pushed Alyx Vance to the forefront (with the game being named after her). Originally the secondary protagonist behind series protagonist Gordon Freeman, Alyx made her debut in Half-Life 2 & became an equally iconic character up to the aforementioned Half-Life: Alyx (where she took center stage). That being said, I should preface this with the fact that there are spoilers for Half-Life: Alyx in this post. So only read the lore part if you're either already played Half-Life: Alyx or don't mind being spoiled.

azrIAUa.png

Alyx's family photo, one of the few things to survive the Black Mesa Incident.

Alyx Vance was born to a black father (Eli) & an asian mother (Azian), living at the Black Mesa Research Facility's dormitories. When Azian was killed during the Black Mesa Incident, G-Man ended up saving Alyx from the chaos (Alyx was a little girl at the time, so she doesn't remember much of the incident). From then on, it was on Eli to raise Alyx on his own (likely at Black Mesa East) during the Combine's reign over the world. She even built Dog (a sentient robot body guard), who always knows where Alyx is, when she was a kid (a testament to her hacking skills). It didn't take long for Alyx to join the resistance once she became an adult. Hell, she was already doing reconnaissance missions by age 19 & helping with citizen evacuation to Black Mesa East when she was 24. She's plenty capable on all fronts. But as for Alyx as a person, she's generally an optimistic woman with a bit of a sense of humor. But her friendliness shouldn't be mistaken for passiveness, as she doesn't take shit directed at her or anyone else she cares about (just ask Dr. Mossman). Though even in Dr. Mossman's case, Alyx's hostility towards him was eventually addressed (more on that later). Speaking of which, onto the lore.

7YEup07.jpg

Alyx during the events of Half-Life: Alyx. Not much to say here considering that this is concept/promotional art.

Going into the events of Half-Life: Alyx (five years prior to Half-Life 2), Alyx & her father Eli were captured by the Combine after the latter came across info regarding Combine's superweapon. Russell (a mechanic with the Resistance) breaks out Alyx & later saved her dad, who he knows will die in the future (which he tells Alyx about). Although he promises to avert this, we don't know what changes Half-Life: Alyx will bring about to the timeline (more on that later). From there, they went to the Vault to contain the superweapon mentioned earlier, only to find out that one of its prisoners was a Black Mesa Incident survivor. Alyx though it was the protagonist of the other games (Gordon Freeman), but it was actually G-Man. He basically does a "No you" to Alyx's request to get the Combine ship off-world, instead taking Alyx to the future so she can save her father by killing the Advisor (who kills Eli in the future). After that, G-Man puts Alyx in stasis despite her wishes to the contrary. Given how recent Half-Life: Alyx is, there's no way of knowing how much the timeline will be changed by the events of the game. The rest of the discussion will be about the original timeline.
Alyx ends up helping Gordon Freeman quite a lot over the course of Half-Life 2, right from the first chapter where she takes down the CPs solo (though their united front is cut short when Kleiner's device screws up & teleports the two apart after they visited his lab). Hell, Alyx is actually the one who gives Gordon his Gravity Gun. And while she was separated yet again in their assault on City 17 via kidnapping at the hands of the Overwatch Soldiers, she was still able to help Gordon where she could. Alyx even reached some kind of truce with traitor Dr. Judith Mossman to get herself, her dad, & Gordon out of lock-up. But right at the end, Alyx was frozen in time via the Dark Energy explosion while G-Man got Gordon out. Though don't worry, the Vortigaunts do end up saving Alyx in the events of Half-Life 2: Episode One (though the primary reason she survived was due to G-Man getting her out right before the Resonance Cascade was destroyed). Fortunately, the two weren't split up for the majority of this game as well as Episode Two, as they were trying to get out of City 17 (which they barely accomplished) in the case of the former. For the latter, Alyx got injured after an encounter on the way to White Forest following their train ride out of City 17 going sideways (she does recover thanks to some Antilon extract). But that wasn't the end of her troubles, as she had to watch helplessly as the Advisor killed her father. Dog does deliver the beatdown on said Advisor, but the damage was already done. So yeah, Alyx went through quite a lot. But if the rest of her story is any indication, she's strong both physically & mentally. It's just a shame that we never got to see what happens afterwards.

aDtW1Zo.png
0C9HyoA.png

Considering that Half-Life: Alyx is a prequel, the fact that her design didn't change much over the years makes sense.

Alyx's designs have remained mostly consistent over the years, likely due to the fact that her most recent appearance (Half-Life: Alyx) was a prequel to her debut game (Half-Life 2). Her design is short, sweet, & to the point. A zip-up hoodie, a leather jacket, fingerless gloves, jeans, & boots. Alyx's skin is somewhat lighter than you'd expect from most black women given her biracial heritage, but you won't catch me questioning one's blackness (especially given that her face model is Jamil Mullen). Though simple on the surface, there are little details that speak volumes about her character. The hooded sweater Alyx wears under her leather jacket is adorned with the Black Mesa logo & branding, a callback to where she grew up. The box-like necklace she wears belonged to her late mother, so that serves as a reminder of what she lost (even she was really young at the time of her mom's death). Even the fact that the right sleeve of Alyx's leather jacket is duct taped together shows that she isn't one to throw something out so easily (this is more of a detail from the original Half-Life 2 rather than Half-Life: Alyx, where Alyx's jacket was in-tact). Outside of that & her right arm bandage in HL2, Alyx has practical elements such as her green belt (which holds her gun & EMP Tool) & her headband holding her hair back from getting in front of her face. Basically the name of the game with Alyx's design is practicality. And while that doesn't exactly make for a very detailed design section, it does its job & does it well. Plus it helps that she isn't really sexualized, one aspect of colorism in games that Valve dodged with Alyx's design. So yeah, good job, Valve. As mentioned before, sometimes less is more.

Alyx is another case where I have very few complaints. There is something to be said about there being very few dark-skinned black women in gaming. But Alyx's case is justified given her mixed heritage (& again, I'm not here to question one's blackness). Funny enough, her first VA (Merle Dandridge) was also half black & half asian (her mom was Korean) & was originally gonna return to voice her in Half-Life: Alyx. But she sadly didn't return, replaced by Ozioma Akagha (also a black actress). So for both VAs, there's no issue of having a non-black actress. Likewise, Alyx avoids most of the colorist pitfalls of black women in media thanks to her more friendly personality & her design not being overly sexualized. So yeah, Valve did great with Alyx as a character.

WEEK 3: TOP-VOTED ACTION GAME CHARACTER

DAY 17: CHERRY HUNTER (STREETS OF RAGE)

yYq77dq.png

I was about to start writing Cherry's section in the thick of the winter storm. But thankfully my internet is back now, so I can continue with my research with no roadblocks. Anyway, Streets of Rage 4 ended up being a breakout hit & a solid-ass revival for the franchise. Along with that were a number of newcomers, one of which is actually the daughter of a series veteran. I'm talking about none other than the rock-&-roll pogo brawler Cherry Hunter. To be honest, I didn't really pay too much attention to the game when it first came out. But once people sang the game's praises as well as seeing Cherry as a character in action, I knew I had to start paying attention. And I'm glad I did, because both her & the game as a whole are great. Granted, I could have gone with Adam Hunter (her father), who's been around since the first game. But on top of there not being a ton of black women in games, her not being a police officer (more on that later) gave her the edge over her old man automatically. Also, I would normally wait until 8-9 AM CST to post this. But since I have no idea if Xfinity is gonna maintain their internet or not in the morning, I figured it'd be best not to risk it & post this section now. This won't be a regular thing, but more of a preventive measure so you can enjoy Cherry's section on schedule. So anyway, let's get to the write-up.

ZmYuqif.png

You seriously thought they would take you bribe, Mr. Y? Really?

The story section is probably gonna be shorter than you're used to since Streets of Rage doesn't have a shit-ton of lore. But I should probably preface this with a bit about her father, series veteran Adam Hunter. Adam was in the original Streets of Rage game & actually quit his police force due to the corruption within. Though ironically enough, he returned to police work via Special Forces despite now having a daughter. Cherry actually inherited a lot of her father's fighting prowess, but didn't really want to follow in her dad's policing footsteps despite being quite the daddy's girl (good on you for not joining the police, Cherry). Until the events of Streets of Rage 4, Cherry was a guitarist for Wood Oak City's. Though when Blaze sent the call to fight the new incarnation of the Syndicate to Adam, it was Cherry who ended up answering due to her dad being busy with another assignment. If this scenario of Adam being busy & someone else in his family taking up the call sounds familiar, it's because her uncle (Eddie "Skate" Hunter) did the same thing in Streets of Rage 3 after rescuing his brother in 2. And I guess this makes sense within the context of Streets of Rage 4, as Cherry actually has more in common with her uncle mechanically than her father in the sense that she's a fast-but-weak character (A.K.A. right up my alley)……which would explain why Skate didn't return but Adam did (he's an unlockable character). Anyway, being the only character in the game who can run, the game-plan with Cherry is to get in & out of trouble with quick strikes when you do get in close. It's actually quite a rush (no pun intended) playing as Cherry & it complements her energetic personality well. It was alongside the team of old & new fighters that they were able to take down the Y Syndicate (the name of the new group), led by Mr. Y. So yeah, not too bad for her first outing.

hsXKWSi.png
FvoCqMO.jpg
VJu7LC3.png

Her design is just too good, plain & simple.

Beat-em-ups take a lot after fighting games in their design logic in that they have to communicate everything you need to know about the character at a quick glance, originally out of necessity since you need to decide to who play quickly since you spent a quarter to play. Obviously that's not very common these days now that everyone's moved to console & PC play, but those same mindsets are very much in play today when it comes to the genres that dominated the arcade scene. And even though Cherry Hunter is a child of the console era when it comes to the beat-em-up genre, she's very much one of the best examples when it comes to character design in the genre (or in general, honestly). Everything about Cherry's outfit, from her loose & torn yellow t-shirt to the black tube top underneath to her ripped jeans to her black shoes, everything about Cherry's design screams "rock star". Though the bandages around her arms & her pleasantly-surprising amount of muscle remind you that she's still a very capable fighter. Actually, this is something that I appreciate about Street Fighter's women, as sexualized as they tend to be (especially as of recently). I even love Cherry's hair, which are big poofy dreads with a magenta fade down to the tips (living up to her namesake). She even rocks her guitar into battle, which adds to the rock star look. Even the use of yellow & black is a uniting element between the other playable members of the Hunter family throughout the series, which is a cool touch. If you're expecting me to tear into a specific element, I don't really have anything. It's just a fantastic design. Granted, I'm not too sure about he significance of her black necklace, but it looks great & lines up with the black tube top. Not to mention that she isn't objectified in a way that takes away from her character, so that's a plus. Either way, the devs fucking nailed it with Cherry's design. And the sprite work done for Cherry is top-tier, which I didn't expect to be any different given how well the other characters were handled.

fPBDWfM.png

Case in point about yellow & black being the uniting Hunter family colors. But yeah, welcome to the Streets of Rage family, Cherry.

I have literally no complaints about Cherry, none. Like I said, normally I'd give some sort of critique about the game, be it some instance of colorism or the voice actor not being black. But here, nothing. Granted, the lack of a VA mention is due to the lack of voice acting in the game, but that's besides the point. They absolutely fucking hit it out of the park with Cherry Hunter, & I couldn't be happier. I did warn you this would be shorter than usual. But honestly, I'm glad it was. There's not much more I could add without feeling like it drags on. Go play Streets of Rage 4 if you get the chance, you'll thank me later.

WEEK 4: TOP-VOTED CHARACTER FROM RPGs & MORE

DAY 22: BARRET WALLACE (FINAL FANTASY)

I mean, come on. He's quite literally one of the most iconic black characters in gaming (probably one of the most iconic characters in gaming period). Hell, I'm pretty sure most of you immediately thought of Barret when this whole thread started (& not just because of the fact that he was in the banner). And that's for a multitude of reasons, a good chunk of which is that Barret is one of the earliest party members in one of the most prolific games of all time…..a game that just got part of its story remade just last year. Granted, Final Fantasy has a decent assortment of black characters. Hell, Final Fantasy could do a decent job of carrying the RPG section on its own. But I did limit myself to one per franchise. And I couldn't pick anyone but Barret to represent the franchise in this thread. Normally I would go on a long-winded introduction for Barret. But as I said on the day I posted Billie Lurk's write-up, Barret doesn't need an introduction. So let's get to it. I better not fuck up.

I know what you're wondering, "How can anyone with a gun for an arm call themselves a parent". Well, Barret's actually a damn good father.

Before the events of Final Fantasy VII, Barret Wallace lived in Corel (a forested mining town) whit his wife Myrna. But when she fell ill to an unspecified illness, Barret agreed to help Shinra build a mako reactor just north of his town alongside Dyne (who needed some convincing). He did just that & helped the Turks sneak in, but they ended up destroying the reactor to retaliate against Avalanche. Barret & Dyne tried to escape in the ensuing chaos, but both were gunned down by Shinra troops. This left Dyne at the mercy of a cliff, grabbing onto Barret's right hand……which Scarlet proceeded to shoot. So now Barret's down a right hand & Dyne is presumed dead, leaving behind his daughter Marlene (who Barret would soon adopt & raise as his own). From there, Barret would get a prosthetic adapter from Sakaki that would allow Barret to use various weapons in exchange for his missing forearm & join Avalanche as one of its leaders to take the fight to Shinra. Originally he worked with the main Avalanche group with Biggs, Wedge, Jessie, & Tifa. But after various disagreements, Barret & Co. would split off from the main Avalanche group & establish their own cell with the people in question over in Sector 7's Seventh Heaven, all the while raising his newly-adopted daughter. From here the events of Final Fantasy VII are put into motion, but most of you know the drill by this point. Cloud is hired as a mercenary to help Avalanche with blowing up some mako reactors, becomes the first member of your party besides Cloud himself, they have a run-in with Shinra, Barret & the group befriends various party members along the way (including Red XIII in Barret's case specifically), and they chase down Sephiroth all the way from Midgar to the Northern Cave. Though along the way, Barret would eventually revisit his hometown. Or to be more specific, they would visit North Corel, which was established by the survivors of the mako reactor explosion that Barret helped put into motion. It was actually here (or at least in prison) where he would reunite with Dyne, now rocking a gun-arm on his left arm that he used to enact the Gold Saucer massacre. As it turns out, the loss of his family drove Dyne mad to the point where he just wanted to destroy the world, hence why he went on a murderous rampage. Hell, Dyne nearly pointed said rampage towards his daughter upon learning that she survived in a twisted thought process that his wife shouldn't be alone in the afterlife. Though after being defeated by Barret, Cloud, & the others, Dyne would throw himself off a cliff to his death. With his homecoming as well as the general journey of Final Fantasy VII, Barret had a long quest of his own, both literally & emotionally. And given that the remake seems to be taking a new uncharted path, there's no telling how much these events will differ in the remake.

Barret's quite fun to play in the remake, actually. He's also fun in the original, but so is everyone due to the turn-based combat. The remake's combat system makes things more specific for each character, hence the more focused praise.

Mechanically, Barret focuses on long-ranged attacks with a couple of melee attacks for good measure in both the original game as well as the remake. In the original, Barret is more of a defensive character due to his weapon, stats, & Limits (at least initially). But eventually you can change this by using Barret's ultimate weapon (Missing Score), which allows for more material slots, thus opening up more options without losing his damage potential. His two Limits (Agermax & Catastrophe) add to his sheer amount of firepower. In the remake, a lot of that is still true. But given that the remake is more of an action RPG, Barret's gun-arm can be used to reach enemies that Cloud, Tifa, & Aerith otherwise couldn't. As per his initial defensive role in the original game, Barret has the highest durability of all the remake's party members & a lot of health. His unique attack varies depending on what kind of weapon you have equipped. For ranged weapons, it's Overcharge (which buffs damage & fills your ATB gauge faster). For physical weapons, it's Overrun (Barret charges forward, hitting any enemies in his way, then ending with a huge AoE ground smash). Because of his high durability, Barret can serve as a support role pretty well, especially with abilities like Lifesaver (which has Barret take on his allies' damage) & Steelskin (which makes him tank all damage coming his way). Basically the remake goes through lengths to establish Barret as the rock of the team, both emotionally & in combat. Speaking of which, Barret is very much a bleeding heart, especially once he joined Avalanche. He's fully committed to the cause of the organization & cares deeply about the teammates of whom he goes into battle with. Unfortunately, this passion can backfire depending on the situation, as it has on a few occasions. But all the same, Barret maintains a strong sense of justice Barret is also very much capable of sincerity, something he often shows with his daughter Marlene. But the gung-ho attitude part comes from the localization basing much of his personality after Mr. T, which is very much a black stereotype. The remake retains a fair amount of this stereotyping, but we do see the more sincere side of Barret more often as well as that passion being more genuine & not stereotypical. From what I've been told, this is more in line with how the Japanese performance is handled. And given that his English VA in the remake (John Eric Bentley) is very much capable of delivering such a performance, this is something that I'll chalk up more to the localizers than the actor.

The changes between Barret's classic & remake designs are a classic case of the little things eventually adding up.

Barret's design didn't change TOO much between the original & the remake. A lot of the same design elements are consistent across both, from Barret's gun-arm to his brown sleeveless leather jacket to his green cargo pants to his brown gloves & boots. He even retains the skull tattoo on his left arm, even if the actual details & placement on the left arm differs between the two (on top of a new tattoo design, said tattoo is lower on Barret's arm in the remake). Barret maintains a short flat-top, one with straight hair for some reason. I originally thought this was a quirk of the remake, but I realized that this was a thing in the original as well upon further inspection of Barret's OG concept art. Not sure why that's the case, but whatever. Lastly, the make-up of his gun-arm differs between the two. It's more of a stub with a gatling gun at the end, but the barrels are much more detailed & longer in the remake. Hell, there are even slots for Materia in the remake's take on the gun arm. Not to mention the addition of the sleeve coming from the gun arm, likely to hide whatever scars that are still there. Plus I'm liking the black sleeveless shirt he now wears in the remake. But outside of that, Barret tends to wear sunglasses for a good chunk of FFVII Remake. But honestly, I'm not a fan. Like, the glasses themselves are nice, but Barret looks great already. No need to hide those eyes behind your shades. Not to mention that they make no sense to be worn at night anyway (obviously not all of FFVII is at night, but you get my point). But yeah, as mentioned before, sometimes less is more. And Barret still stands as one of Nomura's best character designs. Though you could probably say the same for most of FFVII's major characters, so I'm glad Barret is among the better examples of this…….even if I wish his hair was curlier. I know I skipped his Advent Children design. But given that he didn't have a huge role in that anyway, I figured it'd be best to focus on his OG & remake designs. Basically he trades his brown vest for a white one, now wears a mesh shirt (kinda like what Young Zeku wears in SFV), & braided his hair back. For what it's worth, I do like the braids. But something about that version of Barret felt......off to me (not just the shirt, a design decision that I wasn't a huge fan of). So yeah, focusing on the OG & remake versions here.

I guess Cloud really did grow on Barret, though more so vice versa.

Funny enough, I covered most of my criticisms throughout this write-up. The Mr. T-inspired personality that the localizers put on Barret in the original FFVII still plague the character to this day, & it's made all the more annoying when Barret actually breaks away from the stereotype. John Eric Bentley has shown to be more than capable of a more true-to-the-JP-version performance, so I'm not sure why they don't just let John do his thing. This has actually been a point of criticism for both the original & especially the remake from black fans for a while (myself included). Hell, one of our own (Urban Scholar) actually did an article on the subject of how Barret was handled in FFVII Remake that I highly recommend you read which goes into further detail about his flaws than I could.
arstechnica.com

Decades later, these remakes haven’t fixed their racial representation issues

Final Fantasy VII and Trials of Mana both have problems portraying people of color.
But that aside, Barret definitely doesn't disappoint. He's a deep character with a complicated past that shaped him into the hero he is now. He's an icon through-&-through, and he's definitely earned the title.

Outside of that, here are some of the things that various games can improve upon with regards to how they represent black people. I won't go into too much detail as this is basically extra credit. Not to mention that I may tackle similar topics in deeper detail next year, so think of this as a sneak preview of what I'm considering for 2022 (unless I decide to tackle black representation in games from a different angle). That plus I want to give myself a bit of a break compared to the long write-ups I did over the course of February (a lot of which I had to stay up late to finish) as well as the bonus stuff I did for the first week of March. And thank you ahead of time for taking the time to read it all.

BONUS WEEK: THINGS THAT SHOULD BE IMPROVED WITH BLACK REPRESENTATION IN GAMES

DAY +1: HAVE BLACK CHARACTERS BE VOICED BY BLACK ACTORS

1161995_v9_aa.jpg
MV5BNWM0MTUyNTktYTRlNS00M2E3LWE2YzItZmFhMzE1ZmVlMTljXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjkwMjM2NTI@._V1_UY1200_CR165,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
main_Kimberly_Brooks.jpg

I'm sure you noticed a trend with a solid chunk of the characters on this list that said characters tend to be voiced by non-black characters. Nadine Ross is probably the most infamous example of this (& one I've mentioned before), being voiced by Laura Bailey (all due respect to Laura, but Naughty Dog should have recast the character as soon as Nadine's design was finalized). In Nintendo's case, most of their PoC characters are voiced by white actors, which is disappointing to see. That's not to discredit the work the actors put in to bring these characters to life, a lot of them did great work. But in an industry that tends to prioritize white actors, it'd be a great effort to give black actors a chance to shine with the few black roles that exist. Of course, this isn't to say that black actors should only voice black roles. My point is that there already aren't a ton of black characters in games. The least the industry can do is to offer such black actors the few black characters that are there, as there isn't nearly enough room to do otherwise with the characters available. This also extends to other PoC roles. Going back to Nintendo, Fire Emblem: Three Houses had a number of Arabic-coded characters, but all those roles were given to white actors. Of course, this isn't a trend that's exclusive to Nintendo, as even the likes of Clementine & Demoman are voiced by white actors. So it's generally something that I hope improves going forward. Looking at Guilty Gear Strive, I hope that Nagoriyuki & Giovanna are voiced by black actors. But given how they made sure to get a black VA for Venom in Xrd Sign, I'm not too worried on this front. Though you get my point overall, let these talented black actors get their time in the sun.

DAY +2: IMPROVE OPTIONS FOR AFROCENTRIC HAIR STYLES

1*WHEbj8Yf-0Eu_DAGuNvBsQ.jpeg
vanessa-le-femhair3-765x1024.jpg
AnimalCrossing-Hair.png

This can be interpreted in one of two ways. I'll get the obvious one done first, there should be more attention paid to the available options with regards to afrocentric hair styles. We don't all have straight hair, short curly hair, a big afro, & cornrows. We all have a wide assortment of hairstyles that should be taken into consideration. And some games feel content in only giving us the bare minimum, if anything at all. Hell, it took an update for Animal Crossing: New Horizons to give us more than a couple of options with regards to potential hair styles (afros weren't even available at launch). On this front, I have to give Capcom credit for expanding the number of options for black hair styles in Monster Hunter World: Iceborne. Urban Scholar actually goes into further detail on the topic (as well as skin tones, something I'll go into detail on later this week) here.
jrous001.medium.com

Dear Video Games Character Creators You Still Need Work

When you’re a person of color, creating an avatar with your skin and hair is often frustrating. Why is that? And are there answers to this?
Though while I'm on the topic of hair & black people, there's one other thing I'd like to address. *ahem*, UNLESS THE CHARACTER IS OLD, CUT IT OUT WITH THE CONSTANT USE OF WHITE HAIR FOR BLACK CHARACTERS!!!!!! I get that Japanese games like to do non-realistic hair colors for everyone, from blue to green to red to purple. But it says a lot when a solid number of the characters in this thread have white hair while still being young. At least with the likes of Leroy Smith from Tekken & Sojourn from Overwatch, they're pretty old, so their white hair makes sense. But I don't see why the likes of Twintelle or Shinobu couldn't have brown or black hair. And if I may go off-topic for a bit, please give black characters brown eyes more often. That's not to say that black people can't have blue or green eyes, but they're far from common. It just sticks out to me for the likes of Sojourn, Twintelle, Nagoriyuki, & many more.

DAY +3: TAKE THE TIME TO DEPICT BLACK PEOPLE PROPERLY

EfbHPy3XsAc7MGQ
black_hands_by_shortybat_dcq9i47-pre.png

ALL CREDIT FOR THESE IMAGES BELONG TO SUGARYACID (who's no longer on Twitter) & SHORTYBAT FROM TWITTER & DEVIANTART RESPECTIVELY!!!!!
I've brought this up a few times throughout this thread, but one of my biggest pet peeves is how artists (especially for Japanese games) depict black people with lighter unicolor lips & the same skin tone for their palms. The latter of which is more of a recent annoyance for me when it was pointed out to me not too long ago, but it's begun to stick out like a sore thumb. And so far, only Arc System Works (at least of the Japanese developers that I can immediately recall) put in the effort to include these features......& only for Nagoriyuki for both (Giovanna has a darker top lip, but no lighter palms). And even then, Nagoriyuki's lips were only fixed after they got (justified) criticism for how his lips were originally. Us speaking up about how we actually look is important, as the Nagoriyuki fix proved that the developers do listen. But what's equally important is to put in the proper research to get this stuff right from the get-go. Perhaps there should be more black people in the industry to help draw attention these things ahead of time, but I'll get to that in due time. Anyway, in the case of the lips, said bright unicolor lips are typically a remnant of an offensive racist caricature that's better left in the past (not forgotten, mind you, as people need to remember to never do that again). But the palms part is mostly a thing that goes a long way towards making black people feel properly represented. Of course, these aren't the only things that should be done (hence why this bonus week exists), but they're definitely on the list.

DAY +4: HIRE MORE BLACK EXECUTIVES & DEVELOPERS

Ramone+Russell+mh31Tnr-UkBm.jpg
Sarah-Bond-head-of-Xbox-partnerships-E3-2019.png
DrewBEManPic.jpg
lbjIX84S_400x400.jpg
b6017668de.jpg.webp

As you can probably tell, Sarah Bond is the only prominent recent example who I could immediately recall when I started writing this yesterday (3/3/21). And Sarah most certainly deserves the praise she's gotten thus far, especially given the success of Xbox Game Pass. There are other examples as well, such as former Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aimé (though I'm not exactly fond of his pro-police rhetoric), Ramone Russell from Sony (he works on the MLB games), Andrew Augustin (formerly of EA, but he went on to create Notion Games), Tim Lewinson (development director for Apex Legends over at Respawn), & Dinga Bakaba (director for Deathloop). But it shouldn't be only them. Hell, a lot of the issues with black characters in games (both covered so far & soon to be covered going into the week) can stem from the fact that there aren't a ton of black people in positions of power throughout the industry. I don't just mean executive positions like Sarah, but also in development positions. Looking at the Overwatch 2 behind-the-scenes presentation at BlizzConline, I only recall seeing one black developer. Of course, this is only a snippet of the entire development team. But my point is that we should have more diverse people in positions of power (not just black people, but other people of color as well) to make sure that said minorities are properly represented & that our voices remain heard. And in general, more diversity in the workplace is never a bad thing. This ties back into the thing about the need for more afrocentric hair styles. As was pointed out in this thread, having more black developers & executives would likely result in suggestions like checking barber shops for ideas. This also ties into tomorrow's subject, but I'll leave that for then. All the same, I'm sure you get my point.

DAY +5: CUT IT OUT WITH THE STEREOTYPES

latest
maxresdefault.jpg
latest
DvHeGCWUwAAjDgY.png

Since celes already wrote an amazing thread on the topic of colorist stereotypes, I won't go into too much detail on the topic as she already beat me to it back in January. In case you don't feel like checking the Twintelle write-up, I'll provide a link here. I'll also throw in another article on black women being able to be soft, as it also ties into the topic of today & is generally a great article.
www.resetera.com

Colorism in video games (Open spoilers)

Before I start: I just want to make it clear that you can like a character, game, an artist, a publisher, etc. in isolation while still acknowledging that looked at within the greater context, that thing you like might be contributing to the reinforcement of harmful stereotypes or imagery that...
ashiamonetb.medium.com

Yes, Black Girls Are Allowed To Be Soft

“The most disrespected person in America is the Black woman.
These colorist stereotypes do plague the industry, from the hard-as-stone black woman, darker-skinned women always being sexualized to the point of taking away from their characters, & the whole "darker skin = evil" stereotype found in the likes of Kingdom Hearts, NieR: Automata, & even Persona 5 Strikers. But a solid chunk of the characters talked about in this thread are also plagued with a colorist stereotype of some kind. This is especially true with Vivienne, whose hardcore personality & inability to show any sort of softness is very much rooted in the "tough as nails black woman" stereotype. Vivienne far from the only one plagued with these kinds of stereotypes, as Nadine Ross is yet another prominent example of this. But they're just but two example that was covered in the thread (seriously, read it, it's fantastic). Of course, that's not to say that black women can't be tough, but showing more range of emotions would be appreciated. The main solution to this would be to, as mentioned yesterday, get more black developers, writers, & executives (especially black women). While Project Athia has me excited for one of the few leading black ladies in a AAA project from a Japanese developer, the fact that it's being written by a white guy has me concerned for if it'll avoid the aforementioned stereotypes. It doesn't help that there are so few major female writers in the industry, let alone black women. So yeah, the topic of yesterday is pretty much the overarching issue for a lot of this. And of course, I also mean straight-up racist stereotypes, like the racist spirit battles in Smash Ultimate that still haven't been addressed (especially now that the Pyra/Mythra update proved that base game spirits can be altered, something that was left for debate when Spring Man & Twintelle's spirit battles weren't updated with the then-newly-added ARMS tracks). Even if the Villager one was due to a last-minute change to said Villager's alt and the DK one was a result of him & Mr. Sandman being bosses in Punch-Out Wii, they should have taken the time to fix it. And there's really no excuse for Diddy being the rep for Dee Jay. Of course, Smash Ultimate isn't the only example of racist stereotypes, but it's one of the most prominent ones in recent memory (especially considering that it's the only modern fighting game besides DBFZ without a black character, which makes matters worse). But seriously, cut it out. It's annoying.

DAY +6: DON'T BE AFRAID TO MAKE DARKER-SKINNED BLACK WOMEN

407024ba6e7798a8ad75e09387b55f0f.png
dataimagejpegbase649j4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAkACQAAD4QCeRX-b458d97f876de0fa03a1fad2f04eba00.jpg

Another thing I noticed over the course of the previous month. While there were quite a few black men who were darker-skinned, I could probably count the number of darker-skinned black women on one hand. Of course, this isn't me doubting one's blackness in any way for the characters I talked about, but rather me asking for more skin tone diversity amongst the black women we see in games. That's not to say that we don't have any dark-skinned black women in games, as we have the likes of Shinobu from No More Heroes &, in the near future, Sojourn from Overwatch 2 (seriously, why did it take until what I assume will be 2022 for Overwatch to finally get a black woman?). What I'm asking for is more of them. And if the concern is how to properly convey light being shined on their skin, easy, do some research or (better yet) hire more black people who will know more about the subject. Black people come in all shades, & it's time that the industry show that for black women.

DAY +7: MAKE MORE BLACK CHARACTERS IN GENERAL

KMhf1n.jpg

This is probably the most obvious takeaway from this thread, but sometimes the obvious thing is the most important one. Yes, there are more & more black characters being created in gaming today. But it's not happening fast enough, especially not with protagonists. This is especially true with black women, who we sadly don't get a ton of in gaming even compared to the guys. You may get the impression that there are a ton of black women in the industry, but there aren't (well, not as many as there should be). I mainly made a conscious effort to highlight prominent black women in this thread where I could because they deserve it. Of course, this also means respectful representation (which is still a prevalent issue for black characters in games), which goes into the other topics I've covered throughout the week. The last thing we need is a monkey's paw wish in that we get more black characters, but they're all offensive stereotypes with no attention paid to making sure their features are portrayed correctly & are also voiced by white actors. Still, representation matters, & the industry should get the memo on that. Fighting games today are starting to make some semblance of an effort to make good on this (see Guilty Gear Strive & Samurai Shodown, though Darli Dagger is more sexualized than I'd like), but then you have Smash Ultimate being the sole outlier with over 80 characters & not a single black character (at least DBFZ has the excuse of not having any options, which is a complaint I'd raise straight at Toei & Toriyama's faces).......& racist stereotypes in-game to boot. All this can be mitigated if we, as mentioned before, get more black people in the industry making decisions & speaking for us. We have a lot to bring to the table, & it's well past time to be allowed to show that.

Last edited:

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy Black History Month !

I wish Twintelle was the ARMS rep in Smash, i love her design, but since there's a lack of black characters in Smash, she was the obvious choice in my opinion.

Last edited:

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
Zasalamel from the Soul Calibur franchise is on my list of faves. I have no Idea why I cant post the link to a pic, but still.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Lemme know when we folks are catching hands form both Dudley and Balrog

Edit: Oh one per franchise.. Boxer all day!

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'll be in here with snacks at the table.

Let's goooooo~!

I'm also pleased that thanks especially to recent trends, we can look forward to the likes of Team Brazil (KOFXIV) and Nagoriyuki.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread Neoxon ! Looking forward to reading about the other characters you touch on. Happy Black History Month as well.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent thread idea Neoxon . Excited to seeing the different characters/discussions around them.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Great thread Neoxon ! Looking forward to reading about the other characters you touch on. Happy Black History Month as well.
The thread still pails in comparison to the work you did on your colorism thread. But I am still grateful that you're helping out when you can.

Excellent thread idea Neoxon. Excited to seeing the different characters/discussions around them.
Thanks, I figured that I should do something big to celebrate Black History Month (especially since it's been a while since my last big thread project).

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Nice, first day of Black History month.
Twintelle is great, and she has a cool style to her. Also, fighting with her hair is badass. Maybe someday she'll be in smash...

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Nice, first day of Black History month.
Twintelle is great, and she has a cool style to her. Also, fighting with her hair is badass. Maybe someday she'll be in smash...
Her best chance is if Yabuki is allowed to pick another ARMS character like he did for Min Min. If Sakurai makes the choice himself, he'd probably go for Ninjara or maybe Spring Man (leaning towards the former).

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Thanks so much for making this thread, lovely and amazing idea for Black History Month!
Can't wait to see what's next!

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Yo I'm here for this. What a great idea!

I'm hoping for some deep cuts from fighting games.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to play ARMS sometime - Twintelle seems like a pretty dope character.

Can't wait to see who the next reveal is!

All I'm saying is of Zas doesn't get a shout out, I'm flipping a table.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to play ARMS sometime - Twintelle seems like a pretty dope character.

Can't wait to see who the next reveal is!

All I'm saying is of Zas doesn't get a shout out, I'm flipping a table.
Twintelle is a lot of fun. I couldn't get into ARMS gameplay wise but they have some excellent characters.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Awesome character breakdown of Twintelle, Neoxon. To this day, I'm still salty that MIN MIN was chosen over her for Smash Bros Ultimate.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread idea and writeup, Neoxon. Looking forward to the future entries.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
I thought of Grace from fighting Vipers, is she the first time the character selection screen defaulted to a black character?

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread, Neoxon and I'm locked in.

I'm so glad that you started with Twintelle. I really wish she was the ARMS rep for Smash, no offense to Min Min. I hope to see more of her, actually. Please don't let her be stuck in ARMS.

Also, I wonder if you're going to touch on Vanessa Lewis...for obvious and not so obvious reasons.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Pretty sure she's not gonna make the list so I'm just gonna praise my favorite here!

latest

Such an amazing queer character, Mileena's woman bringing the splits and the Tandi Iman drama to her moveset, doesn't really fall in any stereotypical sexualization ever since MKX.

My true bitter queen of Edenia, please come back in the next game s2

(Also, fuck Jacqui haters).

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought of Grace from fighting Vipers, is she the first time the character selection screen defaulted to a black character?
Grace is awesome.

Speaking of Sega, Jonathan Blade from Eternal Champions is another notable black fighting game character. And instead of being from the US like in most games, he's from Syria.

maxresdefault.jpg

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Pretty sure she's not gonna make the list so I'm just gonna praise my favorite here!

latest

Such an amazing queer character, Mileena's woman bringing the splits and the Tandi Iman drama to her moveset, doesn't really fall in any stereotypical sexualization ever since MKX.

My true bitter queen of Edenia, please come back in the next game s2

(Also, fuck Jacqui haters).
Isn't she Egyptian?

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Can definitely say I'm looking forward to watching this thread grow over the next month with more black characters. As someone who hasn't played ARMS before, and doesn't really follow the game, that was a very insightful read on Twintelle. I was aware of the character from other threads, but not too familiar with her, so this helped a lot.

One fighting game character I'd like to highlight is Bruce Irvin from Tekken:

DNNc5zlVAAA3vHp.jpg

He was never my main, or a super important character, but I did like using him for his Muay Thai fighting style, and I thought he had one of the more notable backstories in Tekken 2. I don't see him returning to the series again after Josie and Fahkumram were introduced as his replacements in Tekken 7. But it's worth noting how a couple of his endings involved inspiring young black kids with martial arts, which is something I wasn't used to seeing at the time in games, movies, TV, etc. I wish they had leaned more heavily into that part of his character, rather than make him Kazuya's right hand man in Tekken 6.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
Oh I didn't forget about those two. And thanks for clarifying, though aren't the Edenians similar to the Egyptians?

No problem! Actually Edenia seems pretty diverse. Kitana, Jade, Sindel, Jerrod and Rain are Edenians too. I think Edenia takes different influences from Middle-Eastern, East Asian and Indian cultures.

So anyone who doesn't like her is a racist?

Of course not. I'm refering specifically to the racists that centered all their criticisms on her being black. If you were around some communities where MKX and MK11 were being discussed, you'd have come across hateful messages on a daily basis. Gamefaqs for example. It was more rampant when MK11 launched.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread. Hopefully Capcom brings bad an aged up Sean with some sauce for SF6