• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So, a new Harry Potter game has been announced right in the middle of serial escalation of vileness from JKR transphobia (quite a feat in itself, considering her past record, but that's not the point of this thread). Among the usual bad faith arguments to justify purchasing the game, a familiar one has been popping up more often than usual; one that is rarely, if ever, actioned. Not even a warning is ever issued for it, let alone a ban; of course, this is probably why it's so popular, as opposed to other arguments that would get actioned.

Yes, I'm talking of the "think of the poor devs" argument, phrased in a handful of variants with the same underlying sentiment ("it's unfair to punish the people that worked on this game", etc.). Again, this is nothing new: it's been used to justify (and sidestep discussion of) vile shit in videogames since the dawn of time (see Kingdom Come: Deliverance, The Last Night, Cyberpunk 2077, etc.).

I think both the argument itself and the lack of moderation about it seems to arise from a fundamental misunderstanding of how game development works and how most developers profit from game sales or will have their livelyhood affected by their sales (news flash: in the case of AAA games with dozens or hundreds of salaried devs, barely at all). Much has been written in this forum about the validity of this argument as a whole, often by devs themselves, but few of it seems to ever be heeded, or have any kind of long-term impact whatsoever on either its usage or moderation.

To throw my two cents, as a dev myself: I feel offended every time someone uses fellow devs as a shield to justify their own purchasing decisions. Please do not pin your support of vile people on any of our livelyhoods; I'd rather change jobs than be the excuse for people to e.g. keep funneling money into Rowling's pockets.

That said, I shouldn't, and won't, speak for all devs. And so, I'm calling to both developers and mods to have a discussion about it, on this thread, and hopefully reach some kind of conclusion.
- To devs, I ask you to please share your thoughts on whether you think the argument holds water, both practically and morally.
- To mods, I ask you to please listen to devs, ask them any questions you may have, and take a lasting decision whether to include it on the TOS, and have it affect future moderation about it.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Well said. I don't really have anything to add, I agree with everything you wrote and I just want to give this thread more exposure.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You don't just have my sword and axe, you have the entire armoury.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's the argument of bonuses. I'm not in development but I've worked on projects with salaries and bonuses.
But attaching bonuses to sales is a stressful manipulative tactic when sales don't indicate a great, well made product.
Bonuses often do not trickle down either, to people who have to stay late. Bonuses often do not go to the hundreds of contract employees these companies have.

Bonuses are also *extra* pay and not guaranteed and choosing not to buy a game is not robbing people of bonus.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this really boils down to people are different.

Some devs probably just see their work as "just a job" others might be more passionate about it.

Jason Schrier said there are people at Avalanche who are extremely troubled by JK's statements.

I think there are a lot of Harry Potter fans who are struggling right now to separate their love for the series because for a lot of people (myself included) Harry Potter was a big part of growing up, and the reality that JK is a nasty TERF.

And honestly the game Avalanche is making looks incredible, but I can not in good conscious support that game because of what JK is doing. Again, the timing for this is probably awful for Avalanche, but looking at youtube I don't think they are actually going to be hurt. The Harry Potter trailer is the most viewed trailer from yesterday's event, and most people are unaware or do not care about what JK has said.

Right now "think about Avalanche" feels like a scapegoat for people to convince themselves it's ok to buy the game, despite the knowledge this puts money in the pocket of JK.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rowling is a worthless sack of shit.

Now that that's clear, you're making a bit of a false equivalency here. In the examples you cited, the problem stems from the devs themselves (vavra being racist, CDPR pr being transphobic, etc), and using that argument is indeed probably in bad faith.

Here though, the problem lies exclusively with the property creator and not with the devs at all, so in this specific case, the argument has at least some merit.

I know feep posted about a dev from avalanche he knows and assuring folk that not buying this will probably not jeopardize the team's future, but you can't blame some people for thinking of the devs. I did, and I don't care about this game at all. I'm not saying there aren't people doing it in bad faith, I'm just saying it's possible some do it legitimately.

Dev Response: LordHuffnPuff @ Twinbeard

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
It almost never holds water.

I have seen some colleagues (not in marketing, obviously) at other studios comment that they know there's a controversy over their games but they want people to buy their games because they've just spent five years on this piece of art and they'd be personally bummed if nobody saw it, that's so much time out of their life, etc. I have seen a narrower segment complain (softly, for fear of reprisal probably) that their bonuses are tied to sales milestones. More often though it's tied to metacritic score thresholds, which is a different discussion.

That said, many devs on the technical side could easily find other jobs. Maybe not other jobs in games, at least not right away - the job market is overheated in this industry - but other tech industry jobs. Where this gets muddier is when you get into folks on the writing/art/&c. side where jobs can be nigh-impossible to come across regardless of where you look. I have friends that have been out of work for months due to coronavirus.

The tl;dr is that nine out of ten times this is garbage. In the case of this game because it's the IP holder and not the devs, I definitely went "ah jeeze, feel bad for those guys." It's not going to influence my purchasing decision but I did think of the devs.

Last edited:

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The entire "but the jobs" argument is morally repugnant, and it gets applied outside of video games too every time a company ever faces negative consequences.

Dev Response: Taker34

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Nobody should give a crap about the developers. It's not anyone's obligation to keep them employed or whatever (putting aside that no game boycott ever did anything remotely severe)... or is there a single person out there, who feels personally responsible when a developer goes bankrupt because they hadn't bought their games?! No, because it's fucking ridiculous!

Somehow in every Kingdom Come, THQ or the last WB thread shitshow people feel the need to bring that up. Imagine being half that compassionate towards the marginalised and actually affected groups. They aren't because they're trying to justify their behavior. This is some alt right level delusional justification which no one here wants to even hear. Just say like it is, that you don't care about trans issues, get your perma ban or get lost.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To throw my two cents, as a dev myself: I feel offended every time someone uses fellow devs as a shield to justify their own purchasing decisions. Please do not pin your support of vile people on any of our livelyhoods; I'd rather change jobs than be the excuse for people to e.g. keep funneling money into Rowling's pockets.
Thank you!
Thanks for articulating this on such a good manner.
I think you are 100% right here.

Oct 27, 2017
While I agree with the premise the call to ban people that use that argument seems a bit over the top. Shouldn't it be enough when it get's refuted?

Also on the other side the jobs of the developers are actually at stake if their game fails because of a controversy that's out of their control. So it's not like they're actively profit from it like the actual rights holders but it's not like it has no effect on them either.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Very well said OP.

This also reminds me a lot of the times that a company have done something terrible, and you can bet your ass that if anyone says "I hope they go bust" you'll have an employee from that company (or someone in a facsimile role elsewhere) chime in and say "Oh so you hope I lose my job?"

Yes. If your company is actively doing harm and you know that, then yes? Your skills are transferable and are probably deserved elsewhere. Your job doesn't need to continue to exist at the expense of a shitty corporation hiding their sexual abusers.

Sorry I definitely went on a heated tangent there.

May 19, 2020
Employees at AAA studios have been paid for their time regardless of whether I buy their game or not. That argument has always been bullshit for big games.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed with everything you said. I think a lot of that argument is people selfishly wanting to excuse them buying a game they want to play. It's really not worth the "benefit" to the devs.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you for this. I really hate when people use that as their excuse because they need their video games.

TojoT

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for making this thread.

You are absolutely right, and hopefully more people will understand/accept this when it's coming from a dev. Also agree that these statements should be moderated.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I can definitely see where the OP is coming from in this specific case, however, I personally am very cautious in criticizing where people work and how they make their income because society is not constructed in a way that always gives people a moral choice. This is much more easily demonstrated outside of video games where e.g. companies with military-ties may employee thousands of people, some of which are in positions with zero power and low wages. Similarly, I would never tell a single mom who happens to be working for a company that contributes to excess CO2 that she can 'just get another job' because of treachery occurring at the top level of the organization. To me that's misguided and unfair.

It's also unrealistic to suggest that this is a matter of weighing the individual livelihoods of employees against the suffering of marginalized people, because these groups are often not mutually exclusive. That is, we often find marginalized groups working in low-wage, low-power positions within organizations that cause harm to those very groups. It makes it a complicated problem and one that's not a lot of fun to think about, because often there is no easy answer other than the systems at play (usually including capitalism), are fucked.

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It's just extraordinarily bad faith because the people who use this defense do not give one single solitary fuck about the devs and are just, as you say, using them a shield. It's an even worse defense than "I separate the art from the artist" (read: I don't give a fuck about this issue and it doesn't affect my opinion of the game or its creators).

"Think of the devs."
Nah, think of the victims of racism, transphobia, etc.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the logic of the argument is flawed, but I also don't think those comments should be actioned by mods? Mods aren't moral arbiters, and I don't really feel comfortable with them actioning someone for saying that they're still excited to buy the Harry Potter game. People make dozens of justifications every day to continue to do things they know in the back of their mind they probably shouldn't be doing anymore, it's an inherently human thing to do. There's a discussion to be had, but something about that just feels off to me personally.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Rowling is a worthless sack of shit.

Now that that's clear, you're making a bit of a false equivalency here. In the examples you cited, the problem stems from the devs themselves (vavra being racist, CDPR pr being transphobic, etc), and using that argument is indeed probably in bad faith.

Here though, the problem lies exclusively with the property creator and not with the devs at all, so in this specific case, the argument has at least some merit.

It's the exact same case. In these cases, the argument simply permutates of "think of the other devs that also work in the game but are not actively or publicly hateful". The argument holds the exact same amount of merit whether it's about innocent devs beholden to Vavra's racism, or innocent devs beholden to Rowling's transphobia.

I know feep posted about a dev from avalanche he knows and assuring folk that not buying this will probably not jeopardize the team's future, but you can't blame some people for thinking of the devs. I did, and I don't care about this game at all. I'm not saying there aren't people doing it in bad faith, I'm just saying it's possible some do it legitimately.

It's possible to do it legitimately, although it requires the monumental leap of logic of caring about a very hypothetical future danger to developers's wages more than about very real and current danger to minorities's lives. Needless to say, it would still be profoundly misguided, and it needs to stop too.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
There's the argument of bonuses. I'm not in development but I've worked on projects with salaries and bonuses.
But attaching bonuses to sales is a stressful manipulative tactic when sales don't indicate a great, well made product.
Bonuses often do not trickle down either, to people who have to stay late. Bonuses often do not go to the hundreds of contract employees these companies have.

Bonuses are also *extra* pay and not guaranteed and choosing not to buy a game is not robbing people of bonus.
I don't think this is a realistic outcome since boycotts (at least in games) tend to not be that massive, but I guess a hypothetical argument would be not just about bonuses but that some monumental failure would lead to a studio closing? 🤷‍♂️

I dunno, boycotts are fine to me. If you feel you are supporting a person or idea by purchasing a product, you will inevitably be affecting someone 'innocent' in the process. The idea is more to send a message about that central person, topic, idea, whatever and voting with your wallet is often a good way to do it.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I would be prefer ERA mods to please warn users who use this rehtoric first before banning them. If they do it again then ban them but some people are legit dumb. E.g. Me. lol

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I don't care too much what the admin's verdict is on this as long as it's a verdict. Either ban all discussion of Harry Potter, or establish that it's still okay to like Harry Potter. Choose one or the other, make it clear, and stop the mess.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Dev: It doesn't really hold water in most cases. You nailed the reasons - The devs themselves, rather than the company owners, aren't usually hurt or benefitted based on sales.
I know of some publishers and developers that give bonuses based on sales/revenue/performance- But these are usually to lead people and are quite rare (I mostly see them in big mobile publishers, like Voodoo.)

Also - Fuck JK Rowlings.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Thanks for bringing this up Weltall Zero, Feep also brought that up today/yesterday in another thread. So thanks to both of you and also Kyuuji, you are pretty awesome and make this forum a much better place.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I haven't been paying a lot of attention, but there are people making this argument? Devs get paid whether you buy or not.

Would you support a war crime with "think of the soldiers" argument?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I would be prefer ERA mods to please warn users who use this rehtoric first before banning them. If they do it again then ban them but some people are legit dumb. E.g. Me. lol

I agree 1000% with this. Warn them, and if they insist, ban them (I'd actually like for that to be policy for many "minor" transgressions that may come from genuine ignorance). But for that to happen, it first has to become an actionable offense registered in the TOS.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
The thing with moderating the argument like you want is that in the end this is about how people justify buying the game. You can't warn or ban people for arguing in favor of buying the games the want.

Dec 4, 2018
While I agree with the premise the call to ban people that use that argument seems a bit over the top. Shouldn't it be enough when it get's refuted?

Also on the other side the jobs of the developers are actually at stake if their game fails because of a controversy that's out of their control. So it's not like they're actively profit from it like the actual rights holders but it's not like it has no effect on them either.

Read my mind. I don't understand what a ban accomplishes here. I think there are some generalizations here that do nothing to help understand the problem. I think this is an interesting topic to research whether it be industry or academic.

I'm also surprised some of the severe opinions don't include the platform holders (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Google, Etc..) I also think the publishers (the group giving Rowling money) should be the target of these criticism.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the exact same case. In these cases, the argument simply permutates of "think of the other devs that also work in the game but are not actively or publicly hateful". The argument holds the exact same amount of merit whether it's about innocent devs beholden to Vavra's racism, or innocent devs beholden to Rowling's transphobia.

It's possible to do it legitimately, although it requires the monumental leap of logic of caring about a very hypothetical future danger to developers's wages more than about very real and current danger to minorities's lives. Needless to say, it would still be profoundly misguided, and it needs to stop too.

I suppose.

I can't criticize any dev that feels uncertainty about their future and keeps working for avalanche for the moment. I will keep an eye on the thread to see if more devs chime in, for sure.

At any rate, no game is more important than people's rights. So there's that.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Let us not ignore the fact that this is literally whataboutism, e.g. "but what about the devs who innocently work on the game?"

We've seen bans for exactly this behaviour, so surely the precedent is set?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I haven't been paying a lot of attention, but there are people making this argument? Devs get paid whether you buy or not.

Would you support a war crime with "think of the soldiers" argument?

Sometimes multiple people per page, in both the new Harry Potter game thread and the thread about Mermaid's response to JKR. Don't want to name and shame, but here's a post of mine replying to a couple of them.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

You sound thoroughly convinced. :)

I can't criticize any dev that feels uncertainty about their future and keeps working for avalanche for the moment. I will keep an eye on the thread to see if more devs chime in, for sure.

And if any such dev wants to post here about their woes, I'll be glad to listen to them! Until them it's at the very least weird to state "I can't criticise [hypothetical that hasn't happened]".

Oct 29, 2017
In situations like this, people say "think of the devs" so they don't have to say "we just want to be entertained, and fuck everything else."

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You sound thoroughly convinced. :)

And if any such dev wants to post here about their woes, I'll be glad to listen to them! Until them it's at the very least weird to state "I can't criticise [hypothetical that hasn't happened]".

No, I am. I was thinking about what in the end would amount to useless semantics on my part when I wrote the post, and this is about something much more important than any of that crap. So yeah.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It truly sucks that Rowling is a vile person. I think Harry Potter is far beyond just the author of the book at this point though. Those books were a huge part of my childhood, and my friend's first job in game development is working on this game, and I'm really excited for him. I'll definitely be buying it.

I was talking to two other friends about the game yesterday and I brought up the Rowling conversation in relation to the game. Neither had any idea of what a TERF was. And I realized that if the game it's good is going to sell absolute bonkers no matter what. Era is not the average consumer. If people here don't want to buy the game for Rowling reasons, and the talk around the game always reverts to this, I think that's good. It's not really a thing elsewhere, and it's definitely something as many people as possible should be aware of and angry about. Avalanche will be just fine.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The easiest most honest answer is that the Harry Potter game looks really cool and a lot of Harry Potter fans want to play it without people looking down on them from Mt. Moral Superiority. Which is unavoidable, so you should just own it. You think a game looks cool and you'd like to play it. That's the reason everyone is even on this website in the first place. Problematic media or art made by problematic people have existed since the dawn of man and it's gonna go on long after we are all gone. Own it, acknowledge it, do you want with it. If people are gonna hate you because you thought Ion Fury was really good, then whatever.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The 'think of the devs!' argument is something we see time and again. But when deployed in opposition to criticism of bigotry, where it's an attempt to seize the moral high ground and use developers as a high card to dismiss criticism, and worse, to imply that those arguing for empathy are somehow the ones being careless, it's concern trolling. It's worse than that, it's weaponising people's call to stand up for something important and attempting to cover it in mud and drag it down so it can be silenced. We've actioned posts like this today, but if you see them, report them. Hell, pm me if you want and I'll do it myself, it'll only save me time. If we haven't been fast enough to address these posts and get the members that posted them out of important and sensitive discussions, then I apologise. The defence of 'don't punish the devs for a creator's bigotry!', that is conveniently never deployed when someone, for example, says 'I'm not buying it because the frame rate sucks!' is not made out of concern for livelihood, it's just kneejerk opposition masquerading as such.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
For me, it's difficult to say, "I won't support X because of X's past transgressions," while also continuing to support Y even in the face of Y's transgressions. So, like, I don't buy this Harry Potter game because of JK Rowling's awful shit, but still buy Assassin's Creed? But then say I swear off Ubisoft and this Harry Potter game, but still buy the Last of Us 2 or any game made under stressful conditions for the workers. Swear off those and what am I left with? Nintendo games? But Nintendo has been anti-consumer for a while, so I guess I should only buy indie games. But capitalism is evil, so I really shouldn't buy anything at all. It's the same when I buy products that are cruelty free. I pause and think, but I'm still using technology made in Foxconn or Nikes made my child labor. This is why it's difficult for me.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Keep in mind that there have been questions about Rowling's transphobia since as early as 2018, maybe before then. I'm not blaming anyone for wanting to hold on to their jobs, especially given our current economic climate. But anyone at Portkey / WB who felt strongly about this has had a long while to jump ship.