• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

For more information, refer to the Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org

Camp Hyrule - Wikipedia

Camp Hyrule was an annual online virtual camp that was sponsored and moderated by Nintendo of America. It first opened in the summer of 1995, and emerged as Nintendo's biggest online event. Camp Hyrule, which was usually held in August, allowed Nintendo fanatics to chat, play online games, and win prizes under the supervision of Nintendo employees and Nintendo Power columnists. The camp's name is eponymous to the fictional land of Hyrule, a prominent and recurring setting in The Legend of Zelda series. The last camp was in 2007, with no plans to host another Camp Hyrule.

I think Super Mario Broth will love this.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't heard the name Camp Hyrule in aaaaaages. Very cool.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Fun fact, I am the winner of the 2006 Koopa Award; the award given to the camper with the worst spelling.

Yes, I spent the entirety of Camp Hyrule 2006 bad-spelling-shitposting to guarantee myself the award lol.

May 25, 2019
London
The stuff we used to do as kids to pass the time in the summer before online multiplayer was easy and commonplace

I think Camp Hyrules hey-day was around the start of the GameCube era

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Super nostalgic.

I remember all the role-playing at Camp Hyrule 2000 -- seemed like half of the camp was part of an ever-evolving Zelda storyline, each with their own characters. Pretty much the Zelda MMO we never got, lol.

It was also fun being able to talk directly to the NOA staff, they were hilarious.

I absolutely remember this being a thing, but I never attended for whatever reason...I think I was too old by the time I heard of it.

Did you have to pay to attend?
And how did you choose what events you wanted to attend?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely remember this being a thing, but I never attended for whatever reason...I think I was too old by the time I heard of it.

Did you have to pay to attend?
And how did you choose what events you wanted to attend?
It was all free. It was a flash-animated map that changed between day and night over the course of a week. You could click on various destinations like the bonfire, tennis courts, Clock Town, etc, and each was a chat room. The moderators were Treehouse staff, the same people who localize games. There were ongoing mysteries, and minigames you could play. I remember everyone was really pleasant too. Maybe we were all just more relaxed back then, lol.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Another reminder of how much cooler the internet was before everything was centralized to Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Reddit, etc.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, was there not a Camp Hyrule in 2001 and 2002? A Camp Hyrule 2001 could have hyped the GameCube launch, i.e. Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Wave Race Blue Storm, Super Smash Bros Melee.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I just miss the NSider Forums in general. I also didn't join this as a kid, but heard how fun it was. I thought the NSider Forums had volunteer moderators too back then or some sort of similar program.

Aug 15, 2020
This is a throwback. I am already falling down a rabbit hole of looking for NSider forum and AOL Keyword: Nintendo archives.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
In an alternate timeline where these continued, Summer 2019 would've made for a neat Camp Hyrule. There could be a Mario Maker 2 construction zone, Gareg Mach Monastery from Fire Emblem: Three Houses, the Windfish's Egg from Link's Awakening, the Last Resort from Luigi's Mansion 3, a stadium from Pokémon Sword and Shield, etc -- even a campsite looking forward to Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
I won Camp Hyrule in 2005! I still have the "Stumpy" T-Shirt they sent the winners.
6aN9qrG.png

UQoDH8t.jpg

Last edited:

Buffum

Nov 17, 2017
Last edited:

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh fucking hell I completely forgot about Camp Hyrule.

Aaahhh the sudden nostalgia is killing me!

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, wow. I consider myself decently knowledgeable about Nintendo and have never heard of any of this. This is awesome.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Wow... I'm really surprised I never heard of this or "attended" any of the years it was open. I wasn't the biggest Nintendo kid then but I still had all the portables and Gamecube haha.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This thread literally just activated neurons that hadn't fired in 20 years.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It was surprisingly immersive -- I recall the individual chatrooms in each themed area also had their own art to establish the sense of place. I remember most of the Treehouse staff would frequent the bonfire - that was the most popular gathering place and they got to know the recurring campers, form running jokes, etc. The Zelda-themed areas were awesome -- all of these superfans congregating to discuss OoT and MM lore, lol.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man the Loudhouse on AOL... those were the days. I won so much stuff. Still friends with someone from those days, actually. NOA Amy and Travis were the best!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Camp Hyrule 2000 took place mere months before Majora's Mask and Pokémon Gold/Silver released in North America. Nintendo fans were eating good that season.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Some of my best Internet memories are from my days at the Nintendo NSider forums.

Great times.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
This was always so fun each year. I believe content from the events were always posted in Nintendo Power the month after.

If I'm remembering correctly, there was a year that connected to a Mario Golf on GameCube that used codes. Pretty cool!

Dopply

Nov 27, 2020
I never thought I'd see any of this again. Good memories. Bless the Internet Archive.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I've had a lot of that stuff personally archived on my old site for like a decade, lol. But yeah, it's cool to revisit that kind of stuff. Wish Nintendo had... any sort of official community.

Buffum

Nov 17, 2017
I've had a lot of that stuff personally archived on my old site for like a decade, lol. But yeah, it's cool to revisit that kind of stuff. Wish Nintendo had... any sort of official community.
Do you have anything we don't? If you do, PLEASE consider sharing it on the Internet Archive a lot of people would love to see it!

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Do you have anything we don't? If you do, PLEASE consider sharing it on the Internet Archive a lot of people would love to see it!
As far as I can tell, everything I have is there. I just never thought about anyone else really giving a shit, lol.

Edit: For some extra context, back in the early 2000's Nintendo had a private Metroid themed community that was connected to Nsider/Camp Hyrule/HTS/the short-lived Nintendogs community. When it closed most of the users moved over to a new site (though we actually bought Nintendo's old domain for that community too), and we re-used all the Camp Hyrule games for our own "Camp Zebes" events for years. I think for a long time you could find it fairly easy through Google (like, first couple results), but we never got much traffic from it. Those days are loooong gone too, and I'm not even sure that stuff is indexed anymore, lol.

Last edited: