• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think of British cuisine?

• I'm British and I like it

Votes: 231 29.1%
  • I'm British and I'm neutral towards it

Votes: 73 9.2%
  • I'm British and I don't like it

Votes: 28 3.5%
  • I'm not British and I like it

Votes: 124 15.6%
  • I'm not British and I'm neutral towards it

Votes: 123 15.5%
  • I'm not British and I don't like it

Votes: 127 16.0%
  • I don't have enough experience to make a judgement

Votes: 88 11.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
1200px-Deep_Fried_Pizza.jpg
I have never considered doing this before, but marmite on pizza sounds amazing. This almost looked like it, which is why I'm quoting you.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
question from a non-brit to brits, why are sunday roasts so 'heavy'?

the quantity overall and the proportion of meat is akin to an annual thanksgiving dinner...........and that's only every other sunday in Britain?

Many Pubs/Pub style restaurants now do a Carvery which is a kind of help yourself Sunday lunch/buffet but they do it most days now.

Oct 28, 2017
Now all I need to find is somewhere that sells square sausage and good potato scones. Found shit ones in Morrisons.

I know a guy who lives in Newcastle and he drives up to Glasgow often, leaving with a big freezer bag full of square sausage every time. He can't get enough of the stuff.

Most of the times I used to get a half battered, I don't think I ever had a full sized one.
You could get pizza slices battered.

pizza-crunch-resized.jpg

This is getting my mouth watering like hell.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
question from a non-brit to brits, why are sunday roasts so 'heavy'?

the quantity overall and the proportion of meat is akin to an annual thanksgiving dinner...........and that's only every other sunday in Britain?

The Sunday meal was a celebration of many things, getting to have a day off, getting to eat meat again after fasting on Friday, having a big meal after church. Traditionally you'd throw everything into the oven before the church service then it'd be ready afterwards.

Certainly doesn't need a large meal though!

Sorry, OP. I've lived here for years, and the food (generally) seems a bit on the tragic side. It's so bland, and stodgy, and heavy. Not that I'd ever tout my own country as a good example either, but I think you have to grow up with this stuff to think fondly of it (overall). I voted "neutral" because they can be done nicely (quality meats, fish, etc.), but generally they're just...not. And that's what people seem to eat and enjoy here. Come Dine With Me is not satire, apparently.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I like that some decent chefs are revisiting British foods like pies and puddings, because I think we actually have some decent stuff to offer. Good country pubs with regionally-sourced meat and ales brewed on-site are also a treat. I've eaten an excellent ox-tail suet pudding and drunk a brilliant beer, sat in a quintessential English country garden with people playing boules nearby. That stuff is legitimate.

We also live very close to an excellent farm shop, which is where we'll go to get good meat and vegetables.

Broadly speaking, though, I'll visit a chippy maybe once a year, and I grew up with two vegetarian parents, so I don't have any real affinity for roast dinners. My wife's family are much more into that stuff, and honestly I enjoy a restaurant-grade roast dinner occasionally, but homemade ones are never great. And that goes for a lot of the British "staples". When they're done really well, they can be delicious, but you wouldn't want them every day - not least because most of them aren't very nice when they're cooked at home.

I also lived in France for quite a few years as a teenager, and their cuisine is in a different league.

EDIT: I forgot Black Pudding and Haggis, which are both amazing.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Report back on how it went if you could :) I'm always interested to hear how other places/people make dishes like that. Nothing'll ever beat my own mum's roast dinners but that's beside the point lol

I can report back that it was fantastic. When they said sunday roast, they meant it. Roast, carrots, potatoes, yorkshire pudding... I thought I was man enough to do mussels beforehand, but the roast was more than enough. I'll always have a soft spot for british food, because it's pretty much the same stuff my Irish grandmother made. I might have to go back next Sunday.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Gonna get a Greggs pasty in honour of this thread OP.

Have you tried the Vegan Sausage Roll yet? I honestly prefer them to the regular ones.

I can report back that it was fantastic. When they said sunday roast, they meant it. Roast, carrots, potatoes, yorkshire pudding... I thought I was man enough to do mussels beforehand, but the roast was more than enough. I'll always have a soft spot for british food, because it's pretty much the same stuff my Irish grandmother made. I might have to go back next Sunday.

Sounds great!

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished planning out my trip, gonna be 3 days in London (already picked out the restaurants i wanna go to)
I want to bring back some microbrew beer to my brother since he loves stouts (unsure of the other types, maybe he likes ales??). I can only bring back 1 liter to the states per customs to avoid taxes and stuff. I was thinking of hitting up UTOBEER in the borough market since that's where I'm going day 1 when I fly in

Anyone been to UTOBEER or can recommend some good stouts or just microbrews sold in single cans?

Last beer he had was either a milk stout or something with grapefruit?

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After living in another country for three years, I never ever want to return to British food. I do miss chips from a fish and chip shop but do I miss heart attack inducing English breakfasts and bland Sunday roasts? Nope.

EDIT: Based on the results I am convinced most British people here either don't travel much or travel and stick to McDonald's. I don't see how one could travel and eat food from other countries without feeling disappointed in English food.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i'm not a huge fan of british food

op did miss the best local food though

glamorgan sausage
felicity-cloakes-perf1xjxy.jpg

a vegetarian sausage made from caerphilly cheese, leaks and breadcrumbs

delicious

Red UFO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm British and I think British food is pure shite. It's a lot of hassle and tastes of fuck all.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished planning out my trip, gonna be 3 days in London (already picked out the restaurants i wanna go to)
I want to bring back some microbrew beer to my brother since he loves stouts (unsure of the other types, maybe he likes ales??). I can only bring back 1 liter to the states per customs to avoid taxes and stuff. I was thinking of hitting up UTOBEER in the borough market since that's where I'm going day 1 when I fly in

Anyone been to UTOBEER or can recommend some good stouts or just microbrews sold in single cans?

Last beer he had was either a milk stout or something with grapefruit?
Beavertown is a good London brewery so try pick up some of their stouts. Kernel also do fantastic beers but only come in bottles.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
All of this looks disgusting except the chicken Tikka masala.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Why's it called a sausage? Seems more like a pasty. Looks great though!
One thing I learned since living in this country about food.
a) Everything is pudding
b) If it's not pudding, it's probably called sausage.

Even speaking to locals they can never explain to me what exactly is the definition of either - it's just arbitrarily used for 'food stuff' as people see fit it seems.
I don't mind it so much for puddings - but sausages are pretty bottom of the barrell point for the local cuisine here, having lived in Germany for a few years prior to this I really miss having access to quality sausages here at times.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
Somehow I missed this thread.

Grew up 3 doors down from a decent chippy so that was always a solid staple, hard to beat. I'm a big fan of your typical northern fayre, so just about owt where gravy's a big focus; roast dinners, toad in't hole, pies, pasties, etc, etc, etc.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
I've lived in the West Midlands all my life and I'm disgusted with myself that I'm only just finding out about Welsh Rarebit. Seems like an excellent evolution of cheese on toast.

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm a southerner who had a holiday up in Scotland for my birthday this year.
On that trip I discovered that haggis is absolutely dope!
I had it as part of a full Scottish breakfast. Kept me full all day pretty much. Liked it so much, that I'm sad I won't be able to find it in Wiltshire

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is this?

It looks like a venereal disease, but I'm kinda into it 😘

"Lorne" "Square" or "Sliced" sausage depending on where you are. Has a sort of grainy, chewy texture, is usually way overcooked. It's salty, sort of like a combo of bacon and generic sausage. If it's cooked properly it's a great addition to any breakfast meal/sandwich, but it's usually turned into solid coasters so I've learned to avoid it unless I'm cooking my own.

In Scotland it's often served with:

Bacon
Fried egg
Black Pudding
Potato Scones

The latter is the thing I most associate it with but it varies from region to household.

It's usually:

ground pork/beef
Rusk (twice baked bread or breadcrumbs, but one of a million stale bread based fillers)
Seasoning

You mix it up and press it into a loaf pan. Then you cut slices as needed. It's a bit like scrapple only not as disgusting.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a southerner who had a holiday up in Scotland for my birthday this year.
On that trip I discovered that haggis is absolutely dope!
I had it as part of a full Scottish breakfast. Kept me full all day pretty much. Liked it so much, that I'm sad I won't be able to find it in Wiltshire
Yep, that was me three years ago when visiting Edinburgh and Glasgow, loved it. Haggis, neeps and tatties is on point.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
British Breakfast is a crime against humanity.
The bread sucks real bad.

You got Salt and Vinnegar chips (or "crisps"), and that's it.

There's probably some regional stuff that tastes great and that I never tried, but god help you with your most common stuff.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Square sausage is also perfect for a George Foreman. Just toss is in and fuck off for 10 minutes and when your back it's cooked just right.

Although my perfect breakfast is potato scone, black pudding and brown sauce on a morton's morning roll. Moving to Newcastle I'm kinda upset there's no morning rolls quite the same, crunchy exterior and fluffy on the inside. Here most rolls are kind stottie imitators large dense white baps which are pretty good but nothing beats those fresh corner shop morning rolls. Used to have one filled with space invaders on the way to school.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
"Lorne" "Square" or "Sliced" sausage depending on where you are. Has a sort of grainy, chewy texture, is usually way overcooked. It's salty, sort of like a combo of bacon and generic sausage. If it's cooked properly it's a great addition to any breakfast meal/sandwich, but it's usually turned into solid coasters so I've learned to avoid it unless I'm cooking my own.

In Scotland it's often served with:

Bacon
Fried egg
Black Pudding
Potato Scones

The latter is the thing I most associate it with but it varies from region to household.

It's usually:

ground pork/beef
Rusk (twice baked bread or breadcrumbs, but one of a million stale bread based fillers)
Seasoning

You mix it up and press it into a loaf pan. Then you cut slices as needed. It's a bit like scrapple only not as disgusting.
Wow! Thanks for a great and informative answer. That's really interesting! 😊

.. But it really does not sound like my kind of thing. 😅

That sticky toffee pudding I saw mentioned earlier tho, meow 🐱

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
Visited the family home up in Cumbria this holiday and the food is still depressing and heavy. Nothing but pies and sausages. I was practically begging my dad for a simple bowl of vegetables (without potatoes). THe only thing I missed were the Sunday roasts with puddings and thats because my dad actually seasons the meat. And the local chippy, but my brother and I were pretty hammered so methinks it was alcohol fueled nostalgia.
So glad to be back home where there's good food.

TonyMartial11

Banned
Mar 5, 2019
Most British food is immensely improved with a little bit more spice.
Otherwise extremely bland tasting.

Theres a reason a cheeky Nandos is the best thing on that list.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It's all hearty stuff that can taste great when done well but you get sick of it quickly.
Same with German, Dutch, Swiss etc.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
I'm British and I like it, but I'll always go for something foreign because there are so many good options here.

British breakfast rules tho. Phwoar.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Scotch Eggs are dope. Same with HP Sauce and malt vinegar on chips. Full English breakfast is not my thing, get those beans and black pudding out of there. For the most part the signature dishes are pretty good and satisfying on their own, but they get old fast.

Last edited:

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
I'm American but I make a full English Breakfast a few times a year. I'm sure it's not the same as real English Breakfast but it's as close as I can achieve with what's available to me locally.

Everything else on the list I would eat and probably enjoy. I've been researching Toad in a Hole and Sunday Roast recipes (mostly Yorkshire Puddings, never had anything even close to that).