• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think of British cuisine?

• I'm British and I like it

Votes: 231 29.1%
  • I'm British and I'm neutral towards it

Votes: 73 9.2%
  • I'm British and I don't like it

Votes: 28 3.5%
  • I'm not British and I like it

Votes: 124 15.6%
  • I'm not British and I'm neutral towards it

Votes: 123 15.5%
  • I'm not British and I don't like it

Votes: 127 16.0%
  • I don't have enough experience to make a judgement

Votes: 88 11.1%

• Total voters

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Been back in the UK for about 6 months now and fucking hell I missed having a chippy tea. Few pints of delicious ale and a few bags of scratchings/crackling before hitting up the chippy round the corner for a large chips and gravy, 2 scallops and 2 jumbo sausage.

So good. Chippy chips and gravy is the food of kings.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
Been back in the UK for about 6 months now and fucking hell I missed having a chippy tea. Few pints of delicious ale and a few bags of scratchings/crackling before hitting up the chippy round the corner for a large chips and gravy, 2 scallops and 2 jumbo sausage.
Everything here is fine until you mention scratchings. I hope to god you're not talking about pork scratchings:
516S8xKeNbL.jpg

That shit is so nasty anyone eating those should be sent to the old bailey and then the tower of London. Can't have people like you corrupting the next generation into eating those ugly pieces of pig's arsehole.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Everything here is fine until you mention scratchings. I hope to god you're not talking about pork scratchings:
516S8xKeNbL.jpg

That shit is so nasty anyone eating those should be sent to the old bailey and then the tower of London. Can't have people like you corrupting the next generation into eating those ugly pieces of pig's arsehole.

They are good, as is pork crackling

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
516S8xKeNbL.jpg

Crackling is much better imo but damn, crack open a bag of those bad boys with a porter or a stout and you're onto a winner. Or Bacon Fries. Shit, most pub snacks are boss level.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I'd like to experience more of it.

The wife and I have been watching that British Baking Show on Netflix and we constantly laugh and cringe at some of the stuff. Half of it looks awful, and half of it looks like the same exact thing just in a slightly different form. Tons of random fruit in the middle of stuff, meat pies all over the place, and hilarious decorations at times. The flowers and just random stuff stuck into/on top of the "bakes" crack us up.

The hosts sometimes call the final products "amazing" and "beautiful" and we're sitting there going "uhhhh...that looks horrible".

Actually makes me curious how crazy American food looks to others.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Pork scratchings are amazing until you get that one where your tooth just sinks into the lump of fat.

Well done crackling on roast pork is amazing.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'd like to experience more of it.

The wife and I have been watching that British Baking Show on Netflix and we constantly laugh and cringe at some of the stuff. Half of it looks awful, and half of it looks like the same exact thing just in a slightly different form. Tons of random fruit in the middle of stuff, meat pies all over the place, and hilarious decorations at times. The flowers and just random stuff stuck into/on top of the "bakes" crack us up.

The hosts sometimes call the final products "amazing" and "beautiful" and we're sitting there going "uhhhh...that looks horrible".

Actually makes me curious how crazy American food looks to others.

Those programs have a very particular style to what they are a cooking : Twee as fuck.
It's like weird subculture of home cooking

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TBH curry is now considered British too.

But i cant escape those fish&chip pangs , one whiff of that deep fried fish batter and im done.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Good British food is really good, but we rarely make the effort to eat really good food.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
What really counts as British these days - fish & chips, yorkshire pudding, bangers and mash, tikki masala, pot pie, etc. I'm into all that.

I'll forgive them Marmite, mushy peas and spotted dick.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this that imperialism I keep hearing about?

Hah, you say that, but honestly, our curries are better then where it originates from. Yes i might be bias, but i frequently experience visitors from India/Pakistan that cant believe how great our curries are.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
My impressions from the few weeks I've been there. Full English Breakfast is the best, delicious and keeps you from feeling hungry for hours.

Fish and Chips is half shit. I went to the reportedly best places in a few cities, and while the fish was really good, the chips were always terrible. Greasy, soggy, disgusting. I felt like there's a rule that they must be terrible to make up for the great fish.

Sunday roast was pretty good. Nando's was decent, I was Calum. Scones are nice. Yorkshire Pudding is forgettable, wasn't good but not really bad either.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Oh, I recently tried some Irish Bangers.......the texture was AWFUL. Made me feel a bit queasy.

Are they supposed to be super soft/mushy in the center???!

I like my sausages/meats crispy and tougher to the bite.

Oct 28, 2017
Having lived in London on-and-off for several years, I can confidently say that the food is God-awful and, every time I'm here, I spend most of my time yearning for the food back home. Even the Fish and Chips are terrible compared to home.

Golden

Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Hah, you say that, but honestly, our curries are better then where it originates from. Yes i might be bias, but i frequently experience visitors from India/Pakistan that cant believe how great our curries are.
Total nonsense! You can get nice Indian food in the uk, but the generic curry house food, tends to be way too oily. It is cooked without much love for a customer base which is not very discerning. Ive never met an Asian in the uk who prefers it to their families home-cooked food.
I have had a lot of fantastic, memorable food in India, and would not rate the uk curry house above it.
At the top end however, there are some fantastic Michelin starred Indian restaurants in London. My favorite is quilon.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Not British but I've lived in the UK for a few years now.

At it's best, traditional British recipes are great comfort food. But if not done well they can just be bland and stodgy. A lot of dishes are better for home cooking rather than eating out at a restaurant, in my experience.

And British desserts are fantastic. I think someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread, but sticky toffee pudding is absolutely delightful.

Recipe-for-Sticky-Toffee-Pudding.jpg

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
British food is good if you get it from the right place, I've had some terrible sunday dinners and some mind blowing ones. Same with fish and chips. I've had fish and chips from places that have been amazing and others that have tasted like a sloppy mess.

Beef wellington is my favourite dish. I love it.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
If you want proper British food, head up North. The South can't cook for shit and is probably why so many people who are saying they've been to Britain (I.e only London) say the food is garbage.

I hate the ideas of patriotism, countries, jingoism and such but I am willing to die on this hill

Oct 31, 2017
Total nonsense! You can get nice Indian food in the uk, but the generic curry house food, tends to be way too oily. It is cooked without much love for a customer base which is not very discerning. Ive never met an Asian in the uk who prefers it to their families home-cooked food.
I have had a lot of fantastic, memorable food in India, and would not rate the uk curry house above it.
At the top end however, there are some fantastic Michelin starred Indian restaurants in London. My favorite is quilon.

I am reminded of the bit in one of the Discworld novels where Vimes discovers that the curry called Vindaloo in Ankh Morpork means "mouth-scalding gristle for macho foreign idiots"

That said, you can get excellent Indian food in London at quite reasonable prices.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

That's partially true, but goan curries are still the king imo. Pork Vindaloo, Fish Curry and Sorpotel are the GOAT curries.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I definitely love the full breakfast and tikka masala while I was there, but other than that I found a lot of it bland. I guess I also like Sheppard pie too. Everything I tried while there I liked, I just wouldn't put it on top of the list of things I would want to eat every day.

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If you want proper British food, head up North. The South can't cook for shit and is probably why so many people who are saying they've been to Britain (I.e only London) say the food is garbage.

I hate the ideas of patriotism, countries, jingoism and such but I am willing to die on this hill

tenor.gif

You will not die alone on that hill in the North, brother.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Northern Independence now!

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Allow me to extol the virtues of the original Hull Pattie and Chips. Throw on some American Chip Spice (invented in Hull) and you have a meal fit for, well, I'd say kings but we helped start the civil war so.

500-hullpatt.jpg