• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think of British cuisine?

• I'm British and I like it

Votes: 231 29.1%
  • I'm British and I'm neutral towards it

Votes: 73 9.2%
  • I'm British and I don't like it

Votes: 28 3.5%
  • I'm not British and I like it

Votes: 124 15.6%
  • I'm not British and I'm neutral towards it

Votes: 123 15.5%
  • I'm not British and I don't like it

Votes: 127 16.0%
  • I don't have enough experience to make a judgement

Votes: 88 11.1%

• Total voters

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I grew up for a while in England and I'm still a fan of the stuff I used to eat there: bangers and mash, fish and chips, shepherd's pie, etc.

However my favorite are motherfucking SOLDIERS which I never see mentioned when talking about British food.

Soldiers refers to sticks of toast and they're typically dipped in a soft-boiled egg. Fucking amazing. I remember when I moved to the U.S. and asked for a soft boiled egg at a restaurant and they were like "Wut?"

fullsizeoutput_7c45.jpeg

astro

Oct 25, 2017
English person here.

It's fine, nothing spectacular. The very best things are cooked breakfasts and Sunday roasts (vegan for me, but still great).

AmericanKirby

Aug 31, 2018
Inside your house
Burger here. A lot of people in America say British food is shit, but from what I've seen of it, at worst it seems more just kinda boring than outright bad. It definitely seems to fall more in the category of unpretentious comfort food than anything.

British food may not be exotic or interesting like Italian, Spanish, Chinese, or Indian, but at least it's not Scandinavian food. Now, if you want an example of a culture's food being all around shitty, just look at Scandinavia. When your culture's biggest culinary claims to fame are rotting fish fucking doner pizza, you know you've fucked up.

Also, it's not mentioned in the OP, but I'd love to try Scottish deep-fried pizza because I hate myself and society and I want my heart to give out by age 30.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Every country I've been to has had great food. Same with british food, I don't like everything, but there are some great dishes.

If you haven't actually been to a country and eaten at a good local place, then you should honestly stfu about the food. Reading online or hearing from friends how disgusting some countries food is while they eat microwave stuff from the gas station triggers me like crazy.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I grew up for a while in England and I'm still a fan of the stuff I used to eat there: bangers and mash, fish and chips, shepherd's pie, etc.

However my favorite are motherfucking SOLDIERS which I never see mentioned when talking about British food.

Soldiers refers to sticks of toast and they're typically dipped in a soft-boiled egg. Fucking amazing. I remember when I moved to the U.S. and asked for a soft boiled egg at a restaurant and they were like "Wut?"

fullsizeoutput_7c45.jpeg
No offense, but afaik that's for kids in Britain.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

fullsizeoutput_7c45.jpeg

There shouldn't have been a problem ordering a soft-boiled egg. That's a common thing here (I ordered them quite frequently).

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Man I love our food, I've worked out of country for a long time and craved some stuff.

Live in a seaside town so fish and chips at stellar here.

My roasts are tremendous, as are my Yorkshire's.

Fry up and black pudding never gets old.

Mint sauce is from the gods, as are Marmite flavour crisps and bourbon biscuits.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You could say that about a lot of countries. I guess you don't want to talk about food though, just have a pop.

I think the devil is in the details though. Britain's WW2 rationing and how it destroyed its cuisine for years afterward was already mentioned, and there's also Britain's status as a huge imperialist power for centuries resulting in massive importation of their colonial subjects' foodstuffs and subsequent integration into the diet of the mainland. Contrast that with a country like the US whose culinary heritage is almost entirely one of immigration. Immigrants adapted dishes from their homeland to fit the social climate and ingredient availability of where they lived, and those dishes became widespread enough to become a part of America's cultural identity.

Now this isn't to harp on Britain or anything like that, circumstances like these can't really be controlled and despite the jokes Britain does have a food culture worth exploring. Just that it's not as simple as "you could say that about a lot of countries."

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Fish and chips is of course superior in Scotland, where haddock is common while in England they use cod.

Most chippys here have the choice, Haddock is cheaper, which is probably why you have it in Scotland :P

When I lived in Sheffield, our local Fish and Chip shop was owned by Sean Bean's nephew. He was obsessed with his uncle and had a series of Sean Bean themed menu items.

The one that always cracked me up:- The Sean Bean Burger
Not a bean burger, but a beef burger. Always struck me as a missed opportunity.
They also had the Boromir special, which was a Burger topped with "Lord of the Onion Rings"

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of British did tastes better when home made. Very few pubs can beat my Sunday roast and most puddings in restaurants are bland as fuck, especially apple or rhubarb pies/crumbles.
Obviously there are exceptions.

But at least we don't use Granny Smiths as a cooking apple like they do in the USA. I always assumed American apple pies would be nice, considering the proverb. Turns out the pastry has more flavour than the filling.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have yet to find a cuisine I don't like. I'm not British, but they make the ultimate comfort foods. There is nothing better than a Sunday roast on a cold winter day. Fish and chips is one of the best bar foods, because it's simple and amazing. The only knock against it is how heavy it is. Definitely not summer food.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
I've always loved these types of videos. Gary Whitta introducing the Kinda Funny guys to British snacks. Some of the reactions are priceless.

Bora Horza

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I know the reasons why, but I find it funny that our produce is world class, but our food is considered crap by so many countries!

Has square sausage been mentioned? That stuff is divine, from cheapo stuff to expensive butchers sausage, it all goes so well with a morning roll, butter and broon sauce 😄

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Most chippys here have the choice, Haddock is cheaper, which is probably why you have it in Scotland :P

When I lived in Sheffield, our local Fish and Chip shop was owned by Sean Bean's nephew. He was obsessed with his uncle and had a series of Sean Bean themed menu items.

The one that always cracked me up:- The Sean Bean Burger
Not a bean burger, but a beef burger. Always struck me as a missed opportunity.
They also had the Boromir special, which was a Burger topped with "Lord of the Onion Rings"
lol

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Been back in the UK for about 6 months now and fucking hell I missed having a chippy tea. Few pints of delicious ale and a few bags of scratchings/crackling before hitting up the chippy round the corner for a large chips and gravy, 2 scallops and 2 jumbo sausage.

Oct 28, 2017
More Scottish food since it never gets mentioned when people say British, because we all know British means English.

Cock a leekie soup! Its chicken and leeks, pretty simple, but so goddamn tasty. I prefer it to the traditional vegetable broth you get, especially if it includes barley.

Cullen skink! Fish chowder soup, traditionally made with either cod or basa fillet. I absolutely adore this but its always so expensive, which is such a shame. I always wonder why fish is such a ball-ache in cost here when we have miles of coastline. Guess its just sold abroad for better profit.

Tablet! A sweet made of almost 100% sugar, with some condensed milk and butter added to the mix. This stuff will punch your teeth out, but it so incredibly good. Melts in your mouth.

Clootie dumpling! Suet, oats, flour, dried fruit such as sultanas and currants, along with some things like cinnamon. Made into a dough, wrapped in a cloth (cloot = yer mammies cloth, or apron, or any cloth around the kitchen really) and slammed in the oven for a while. Comes out as an incredibly delicious cake, even better when shallow fried in a frying pan for a few mins on each side to put some extra crisp and warmth on a slice.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
Once on a trip to the UK I was so tired of fries with everything, so I ordered spaghetti bolognese. I got a small bowl of bolognese and a big plate of fries to go with it. :-3