• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think of British cuisine?

• I'm British and I like it

Votes: 231 29.1%
  • I'm British and I'm neutral towards it

Votes: 73 9.2%
  • I'm British and I don't like it

Votes: 28 3.5%
  • I'm not British and I like it

Votes: 124 15.6%
  • I'm not British and I'm neutral towards it

Votes: 123 15.5%
  • I'm not British and I don't like it

Votes: 127 16.0%
  • I don't have enough experience to make a judgement

Votes: 88 11.1%

• Total voters

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I like the majority of those but only if done right which can be rare. British restaurants are more of a problem than the food. Where I stay all I have to choose from is the usual chains selling the same stuff and smaller places trying to copy them. Fish and Chips for example is usually pish when I get it. I nice one is rare but delicious.

Haggis is great if it's good haggis but again more often than not it's shite.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It's the British way of life, steal things from all over the world and bastard it.
If not stealing things to take back to Britain, invade everywhere else and cause loads of problems

You could say that about a lot of countries. I guess you don't want to talk about food though, just have a pop.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I often see the opinion that British food is inherently bad, or at the very least 'low' on the scale of modern cuisine. I personally feel that this a stereotype often perpetuated by those with little experience of the cuisine.

So, now that you've seen what British Cuisine 'is', what are your thoughts on the food of this fine soon-to-not-be-EU country? What are your experiences with it? What are your favourite (and least favourite) dishes? Do you have any further questions? For Brits: What other foods that I haven't listed here would you recommend?
Probably accurate but in any case, I reckon that's true. The stuff listed is either not actually British (Nando's lol), awful (Haggis), or pretty eh (kidney pie, fish and chips).

That said, some of the best food I've eaten was in London though it wasn't "British" food.

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone saying haggis is shit needs their head kicked in.

Also, everyone needs to try a pizza crunch. Its a deep-fried pizza slice. Absolutely amazing stuff.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a while since I've visited the UK, but damned if I'll never forget my first full English breakfast.

I like a lot of traditional British cuisine since it's simple, savory fare. Hey, you like meat with bread and/or potatoes and all permutations thereof? I do.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't really tried it but it seems extremely meat forward with most dishes.

Also have 0 interest in trying things like Haggis though.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
5a8d63787708e95a1b24cce5-1536-768.jpg

Pie and Mash with some Jellied eels is what i grew up with

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Everything there looks awful except the tikka (which is arguably Indian food) and the desserts.

When I want meat in a pastry, I visit Latin American cuisine. I certainly don't need or want kidneys or blood in my mouth.

Living in Texas, we have zero need for something like fish and chips when we have superior fried chicken options. Fish and chips is boring af

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
British food's fantastic these days. With respect to the OP, modern British food has moved far beyond traditional meat 'n' two veg or stodgy foods. There was a period where we aspired to make cuisine akin to the French but a lot of chefs are now being inspired by our own produce and are also bringing a lot of traditional dishes into the modern era.

Oct 27, 2017
I love roast dinners and a good chipper but outside of that I'm really not a fan of much of the cuisine within the British Isles.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
What sausages did you try? Asking because there's a wide gap in quality between price-levels when it comes to our sausages. A proper Cumberland made with a majority of pork is incredible but you can definitely find some absolute stinkers when it comes to sausages.
I only tried to store brands (Tesco, Sainsbury, and a couple more, the more expensive ones) but the common theme was meat minced waaaay too finely, which gave it a kind of artificial texture, kind of like a chicken nugget almost, and some really bad spice mix in it.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I'd pit our desserts against anyone's at the very least. Rhubarb Crumble is the resurrection and the light.

The rest is fine but not good as others.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scottish here. Great seafood and meat. Salads not so much in the "natural" environment and so our veggies tend to be root, starchy etc. But nowadays you can get everything.

Our baked goods are really good - savory and sweet pastries, soups, stews, pies etc. Haggis is legit delicious. Our fusion foods - Indian, Mediterranean especially are great - fast food versions of those cusines' standards. And our fish and chip shops really will deep fry your kebab, as seen in Infinity War easter egg.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I only tried to store brands (Tesco, Sainsbury, and a couple more, the more expensive ones) but the common theme was meat minced waaaay too finely, which gave it a kind of artificial texture, kind of like a chicken nugget almost, and some really bad spice mix in it.

Cheap ones that come from greasy spoon cafes, hotel buffets and School lunches are the worst.
I've never been a sausage fan because of the latter, but an expensive gourment sausage is ok.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
English breakfast and chicken tikka masala are the only things I like from OP. I guess British food is not my thing.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im american, when i visited england 3 years ago I really enjoyed the amazing fish and chips. A delicious apple sausage sandwich. Sheapards pie, bangers and mash, and it was all pretty delicious. But I felt like I could get much of the same food in the u.s. so it wasnt a massive leap in cultural cuisine for me

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where's scotch eggs, pork pie, jaffa cakes, hbb nobs, battered sausages, cornflake tart, butterscotch tart, trifle, spotted dick, jam roly poly?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Fish and chips is of course superior in Scotland, where haddock is common while in England they use cod. EDIT: I've been told here that the north of England does haddock.

Shame on the OP for not including scotch eggs or bridies.

Isn't curry the main British food now? :-)

Holborn-Dining-Room-009.jpg

Last edited:

Fluffhead14

Oct 27, 2017
never been, but fish/chips, chicken tikka masala, and shepard's pie, from places ordered here across the pond, are all delicious.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Fish and chips is of course superior in Scotland, where haddock is common while in England they use cod.

Shame on the OP for not including scotch eggs or bridies.

Isn't curry the main British food now? :-)

Southerners seem to use cod for some reason. We use haddock here in the north east(Grimsby/Cleethorpes, which does have some of the best chippys) too.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I think British food is great and it represents the culinary tradition of the only ethnicity that I as a waspy American can even weakly claim as my own. I like pies and fried stuff. Fish and chips is peak comfort food, rivaled only by american style fried chicken. I ate a duck in a pub once, and in another in Scotland I had haggis, which I enjoyed very much. Flat beer is comforting, as is barley malt whisky, and pairs well with a dank wood paneled cellar. Mince pies are very very good, especially during the holidays. Indian food is among my favorite cuisines which the wet islands have a propensity to appropriate. I went to a kebab shop and loved it. I understand what is referred to by the term "chip butty." Mushy peas are good. My grandmother routinely makes us eat shepherd's pie and I even sometimes like it. I'm sure I'd cotton to the idea of eating beans for breakfast. The line is drawn at marmite which is industrial runoff repurposed as toast lubricant

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Something else that's common in Britain but gets disapproving looks in the US every time it's mentioned: beans on toast. A classic, simply, cheap and tasty lunch.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
French/ American here, spent about 2 weeks overall in England across 2 different trips, trying various things.

Went from downright terrible to barely meh mostly, but I decided to be generous and rate it "neutral".