• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think of British cuisine?

• I'm British and I like it

Votes: 231 29.1%
  • I'm British and I'm neutral towards it

Votes: 73 9.2%
  • I'm British and I don't like it

Votes: 28 3.5%
  • I'm not British and I like it

Votes: 124 15.6%
  • I'm not British and I'm neutral towards it

Votes: 123 15.5%
  • I'm not British and I don't like it

Votes: 127 16.0%
  • I don't have enough experience to make a judgement

Votes: 88 11.1%

• Total voters

Plum

May 31, 2018
So I often see the opinion that British food is inherently bad, or at the very least 'low' on the scale of modern cuisine. I personally feel that this a stereotype often perpetuated by those with little experience of the cuisine. As such I thought to make a thread detailing what exactly 'British food' means before asking you what your opinions on it are.

So, what is 'British food'? Well, it's hard to really pin down a specific 'type' of food that Brits eat; we are, overall, a very multi-cultural society when it comes to our food, even if a lot of it isn't exactly 'traditional' foreign cuisine. However, here are some good examples of dishes that are highly popular in Britain, most of which originated from the country:

Fish and Chips - Self Explanatory. Usually served with either 'mushy' peas or garden peas (if you're boring)
Screenshot_20170828-182631.jpg

Shepherds Pie - Lamb Mince & Gravy with a Mash Potato & Cheese Topping (or Cottage Pie if you're using Beef)
recipe-image-legacy-id--554479_11.jpg

Toad in the Hole - Pork Sausages encased in a large Yorkshire Pudding
toad_in_the_hole_with_86283_16x9.jpg

Full English Breakfast - Combination of a Bacon, Sausage, Eggs, Baked Beans and the optional Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Hash Browns, Black Pudding (Blood Pudding) & Fried Bread. Mostly fried, but can be cooked other ways
image.jpg

Sunday Roast - A roasted meat (Beef, Lamb, Chicken, Pork are the usuals) served with roast potatoes and a variety of vegetables and sides including Parsnips, Brocolli, Peas, Stuffing, Yorkshire Puddings, Cabbage, etc
map1.jpg

Steak and Kidney Pie - A beef steak and beef kidney pie with a puff pastry topping
site_21_rand_1576653511_stockfood_318983re.jpg

Chicken Tikka Masala - Made by British Bangledeshi chefs in the early 20th century, this curry dish has become a quintessential part of the British diet. It's a relatively mild curry with a creamy sauce.
img71955.768x512.jpg

Greggs Sausage Roll - Greggs Sausage Roll
Sausage-Roll_615.jpg

Cheeky Nandos - It's just like one day you'll just be with your mates having a look in jd and you might fancy curry club at the 'Spoons but your lad Calum who's an absolute ledge and the archbishop of banterbury will be like "brevs lets have a cheeky nandos instead" and you'll think "top. Let's smash it."
2-chicken-medium-with.jpg

However, not all British food is found so commonly throughout the entire country. A lot of foods are primarily found in certain regions of the UK. These include:

Cornish Pasty - A (usually spiced) meat and vegetable pastry found in the South West of England (in counties such as Cornwall and Devon)
classic_cornish_pasty_67037_16x9.jpg

Welsh Rarebit - 'Cheese on Toast' but with various spices and sauces blended in including mustard, cayenne pepper, paprika, and ale. From Wales (duh)
Welsh-Rarebit-1.jpg

Haggis - Offal (heart, liver, lungs, etc) minced, mixed with oatmeal, onions, suet, and seasoning before being lined with the animal's stomach. Usually served with neeps (mashed turnips) and tatties (mashed potato). A Scottish dish.
haggis1.jpg

And, of course, there are the deserts which include:

Blackberry and Apple Crumble - A mixture of Blackberry and Apple topped with a 'crumbly' mixture of fat, flour and sugar (other fruits and combinations are used)
recipe-image-legacy-id--393505_11.jpg

Bread and Butter Pudding - Buttered bread baked with raisins and a custard mixture
breadandbutterpuddin_85936_16x9.jpg

Eton Mess - A Trifle-like desert consisting of a mixture of broken-up Meringue, Strawberries, and Double-Whipped Cream
eton-mess.jpg

Scones - A baked pastry sometimes filled with fruit and served with Jam and Cream
fruit-scones.jpg

And there's the many, many varities of cake:
Battenburg Cake
320px-Battenbergcake.jpg

Sponge Cake
250px-Cake_competition_%2814287027130%29.jpg

Chelsea Bun
300px-Chelsea_bun.jpg

Welsh Cake
300px-Closeup_of_Welsh_cakes%2C_February_2009.jpg

Colin the Caterpillar
200px-Colin_the_caterpillar_cake.jpg

As you can see a lot of British food goes for meats, vegetables, pastries, etc. If I had to describe it I'd use the word 'hearty'; very few dishes are particularly refined but they more than make up for it in how 'filling' and tasty they can be. However, I would personally say that I wouldn't want to eat British food every day as the flavours do tend to blur together after a while. Due to the heavy rationing of WW2 our ability to 'spice up' our dishes was hampered quite significantly, and I guess that could explain why we're such fans of cuisines that are not our own.

So, now that you've seen what British Cuisine 'is', what are your thoughts on the food of this fine soon-to-not-be-EU country? What are your experiences with it? What are your favourite (and least favourite) dishes? Do you have any further questions? For Brits: What other foods that I haven't listed here would you recommend?

Last edited:

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
At this point 'British food' is just a bunch of dishes we've taken from around the world and bastardised.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I spent an year in the UK. I really like the sheperd's pie and the steak pie. Fish and chips is fine depending on the place (but let's be honest it's 5AM drunk food). Your sausages are absolutely disgusting, the sunday roast is definition of "meh". The other things i tried, tikka masala chicken and sausage rolls were ok, cornish pasty definitely not my thing.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I dig fish and chips, mash potatoes and making things into pies. Full english is bomb AF and I've been eating blood sausage since I was a kid.

I'm american and I like it. Wish fish and chips more ubiquitous around nyc.

Oct 25, 2017
I spent an year in the UK. I really like the sheperd's pie and the steak pie. Fish and chips is fine depending on the place (but let's be honest it's 5AM drunk food). Your sausages are absolutely disgusting. The other things i tried, tikka masala chicken and sausage rolls were ok, cornish pasty definitely not my thing.
Shepherds pie is literally my favorite food I'd say.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
you're forgetting something OP ;^)

pK5aSEg.jpg

iconic

That's true, but I'm not sure I'd call it 'British' food. Not sure what to call it, really.

At this point 'British food' is just a bunch of dishes we've taken from around the world and bastardised.

I mean the OP is filled with dishes where that is not the case. We definitely have our own cuisine even if we tend to eat the cuisine of other's (or our version of that cuisine) more.

I spent an year in the UK. I really like the sheperd's pie and the steak pie. Fish and chips is fine depending on the place (but let's be honest it's 5AM drunk food). Your sausages are absolutely disgusting, the sunday roast is definition of "meh". The other things i tried, tikka masala chicken and sausage rolls were ok, cornish pasty definitely not my thing.

What sausages did you try? Asking because there's a wide gap in quality between price-levels when it comes to our sausages. A proper Cumberland made with a majority of pork is incredible but you can definitely find some absolute stinkers when it comes to sausages.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
You got me with the last one... a true British staple.

But yeah most "British" food is varying degrees of okay to crap and the things we do best are bastardised versions of other people's food. Indian, Chinese, even Nandos tbh.

Oct 31, 2017
By the way, fish and chips was brought to the UK by Jewish immigrants about 150 years ago. Which probably explains why it's one of the better things we eat.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the OP is filled with dishes where that is not the case. We definitely have our own cuisine even if we tend to eat the cuisine of other's (or our version of that cuisine) more.

Not really. Fish and chips is a Jewish dish and things like the spices in haggis and pasties are inherently not British.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pasties are just sad empanadas. About the best thing I can said about British cooking is that at least you respect your offal.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
So much food of the OP is not British wtf.

What dishes? I know stuff like Fish and Chips, Tikka Masala, Nandos didn't originate here but I thought to include it since it's so quintessential to the British food experience (well, I included Nandos for the joke).

Not really. Fish and chips is a Jewish dish and things like the spices in haggis and pasties are inherently not British.

I acknowledged that some didn't originate here but dishes such as Haggis and the Cornish Pasty definitely did. What I described is just their modern iterations now that spices are more common, that doesn't make them "not inherently British."

nded

Nov 14, 2017
British food never struck me as outright offensive as is the stereotype, just very plain. Stodgy is the word they'd use, I think.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
There's good British dishes. But from my experience travelling and staying in over 30 of the 50 American states (including Alaska and Hawaii), Canada, Mexico, South America, Japan, China, Thailand, UK, France, Spain, Italy and Switzerland, UK is the country I'd identify from all those I just listed as having the most "Ehhh" overall food.

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I don't see spotted dick there, OP, I'm disappoint.

Having been born and raised in London to Filipino parents, British-originated food has a lot of similarities in terms of the style - it's not fancy cuisine that will win many awards but it's warm, filling, homely stuff. English fry-up after a long evening, Sunday roast with yorkshire puds, a bag of chips with a battered sausage or saveloy, grabbing a scotch egg or pork pie from Tescos or even just getting a pasty or sausage roll from Greggs, it's stuff like this that I'd miss if I ever moved away, since very few countries' cuisines have equivalents that have that same feel.

Last edited:

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Those are some of the saddest desserts ive ever seen, especially that bread pudding. Id be ashamed to serve that.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
im certain that i would love and appreciate the wide range of brown substances offered by the culinary scene of the british isles were i to visit

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
Not a Brit, but I'm into it.

I make a mean Toad in the Hole with bangers and onion gravy myself.

I'd love to try an authentic full English breakfast.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
If you guys can claim chicken tikka masala then can we claim pizza? Sorry, Italy.

We're not claiming Tikka Masala m8, it was invented by British-Bangledishi chefs in Britain:

The origin of the dish is not certain. Some trace the origins of the dish to the South Asian community in Britain. The Multicultural Handbook of Food, Nutrition and Dietetics credits its creation to Bangladeshi migrant chefs in the 1960s, after migrating from what was then East Pakistan (now Bangladesh). At the time, most of Britain's Indian restaurants were owned and run by Bangladeshi chefs, who developed and served a number of new inauthentic "Indian" dishes, including chicken tikka masala. Historians of ethnic food Peter and Colleen Grove discuss various origin-claims of chicken tikka masala, concluding that the dish "was most certainly invented in Britain, probably by a Bangladeshi chef". They suggest that "the shape of things to come may have been a recipe for Shahi Chicken Masala in Mrs Balbir Singh's Indian Cookery published in 1961"

I should probably edit my OP with that info now that I think about it.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Irish so we share a lot of the same foods.

Cumberland sausage can go to hell. Irish sausages are way better.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The great British traditions of "pastries" and "pastries but with meat in them" speak to me, certainly. It's not far removed from American comfort food. I enjoyed most of what I had when I visited the UK. Haggis included - though it was probably fake shit I enjoyed that nice mineral undertaste.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I want it all! (well, I'm not sure about the blood pudding, but I'd give it a try at least once).

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Has Nando's really been included in this list of Britist food.

A: It's a South African chain
B: It's Portugese food.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

It's the British way of life, steal things from all over the world and bastard it.
If not stealing things to take back to Britain, invade everywhere else and cause loads of problems

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I was brought up on Sunday roast, bangers and mash. It's alright but I tend to eat Italian food mainly now, plus I turned veggie in my teenage years.

Chip butty needs to be tried by anyone who hasn't though, with butter of course.