• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
pkJRk0b.jpg
Damn, Square Enix is going all out to hype us up for Final Fantasy VII: Remake 2!

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
ok someone plz summon holy cuz I don't wanna die from a meteor explosion

Oct 27, 2017
say what you will about 2020 at least the secretly psychic japanese high school student saved tokyo from the death meteor

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
Are we due an impact, statistically? I remember people used to say we were due a pandemic and then Covid-19 appeared...

well, massive impacts like what helped wipe out all the dinosaurs (except birds) are really rare and the rocks are so big we'd notice one coming, i wouldnt worry being caught off guard by one. what are actually concerning are smaller ones but still very destructive impacts like the one that laid waste to Siberia (Tunguska) in 1908.. they happen much more frequently (varied estimates from anywhere to once every 50 years to once per millenia, in any case its not millions of years), and are harder to spot early (a size of only 50-200 meters), especially if they come from the sun's direction and are obscured by its intense light. good luck to anyone living in a city hit by one. or the coastal areas if one hits the ocean at full speed... the regional devastation would be total, and could come with no warning.

as a side note, every square meter of earth is impacted every day (iirc), they're just tiny impacts so we dont experience them. some miniscule space rocks most likely fell on your roof while you slept.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I count myself lucky to have seen a meteor explode over the North Sea, by coincidentally looking out my window at the right moment.

For a second, it was like someone turned on a backup Sun.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
www.cnet.com

A bright fireball over Tokyo explodes with force of 165 tons of TNT, and a soundtrack

A space rock reportedly causes a sonic boom as it crashes into our atmosphere over Japan.

Space is scary.

This is how religions and myths get invented. Some crazy-ass awe-inspiring phenomenon like this combined with some lucky timing for some individual(s) who had just asked "give me a sign" or were about to be conquered until a typhoon drowned the entire enemy flotilla , or an earthquake swallowed the enemy army.

We all live through one or two ridiculous coincidences that might feel like supernatural intervention to a believer. Those believers then spread the story with full faith and certainty. Others just lie for their own gain or out of a pathological need for attention. Multiply this by tens of millions of lives over a thousand years and you have yourself a full-blown greek/norse/inca/egyptian/chinese mythology.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Fireball that lit up Tokyo sky confirmed as meteor after pieces found

A fireball that brightened the Tokyo sky earlier this month has been identified as a meteor after fragments were found in a neighboring prefecture, a Japanese national science museum says.

A fireball that brightened the Tokyo sky earlier this month has been identified as a meteor after fragments were found in a neighboring prefecture, a Japanese national science museum said Monday.

The meteorite, which landed on a condominium in Narashino, Chiba Prefecture, is believed to have originally had a diameter of a few centimeters but likely broke into two pieces, according to the National Museum of Nature and Science. The pieces weigh 63 grams and 70 grams, respectively, it said.

A female resident of the condominium, who was awakened by a loud noise in the early hours of July 2, discovered a rock fragment in the common corridor just outside her room later that morning.

Upon learning news of the fireball, the woman kept the fragment thinking it might be a meteorite.

An impact mark on the handrail in the corridor led to the discovery of a second piece of rock in the courtyard two days later. Metal in the second piece had rusted due to exposure to rain, turning it brown.

uzPN4AUl.jpg

S24r1NSl.jpg