• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018

Steve Saylor is a video game accessibility consultant and media editor of Can I Play That

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
That's really heartwarming to see, and I'm glad that it has such great accessibility options!

For someone more knowledgable than me, I actually don't know what accessibility options exist in Last of Us Part 2, are they such powerful tools that they can allow someone who's blind to be able to play this game? What kind of changes does that even entail exactly? I don't really have the ability to internalize what that might even be, something like the game making a noise when you run into a wall or something?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
That's really heartwarming to see, and I'm glad that it has such great accessibility options!

For someone more knowledgable than me, I actually don't know what accessibility options exist in Last of Us Part 2, are they such powerful tools that they can allow someone who's blind to be able to play this game? What kind of changes does that even entail exactly? I don't really have the ability to internalize what that might even be, something like the game making a noise when you run into a wall or something?

Yes

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I saw this in the review thread and yes it is an emotional video to watch.

What intrigues is what this means for other Sony's 1st party studios for their future projects. Furthermore, with the advent of 3D audio, what other new features would be made available to legally blind players is an avenue absolutely worth keeping an eye on.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Would love to see someone make a video review on the accessibility options specifically. Would love to know more about how someone blind like him would experience this

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The good thing about this is Sony's studious typically share technology, so I can see these options coming to most (maybe all) of their games going forward.

itshutton

Nov 1, 2017
Such a small thing to most, but clearly such a massive thing to some. Surely every developer should take note.

I don't mind saying that this made me cry.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Accessibility options are always great. As a colorblind gamer, it frustrated me to no end that most of the colorblind options implemented tint the whole world to something unrecognizable to address colorblindness. A full screen filter is not a solution and barely improves the distinguish-ability of colors while throwing off the whole color balance of the game. There are two ways to address this issue: make sure your highlights can be distinguished at grayscale, or offer customization options to change ONLY the highlight colors. I really blows my mind that these problems sneak through development teams of 500+ people, since a good 30+ people are likely colorblind.

I don't know how ND addressed colorblind issues, but the fact that they have included so many accessibility options is to be commended. Kudos to them.

May 17, 2018
Would love to see someone make a video review on the accessibility options specifically. Would love to know more about how someone blind like him would experience this

Greg Miller on Kinda Funny mentioned that someone told him ND were able to test a literally blind playthrough based on all the sound and controller options. Pretty wild!

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is fucking amazing and should be standard in an many games as possible. I understand that not everyone has the budget to do this but it should be a thing from all the big Developers/Publishers. Good on you Naughty Dog.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Accessibility is wonderful and I'm so happy they've put so much effort into it. Everyone should be able to play everything, and it's great some studios are working very hard to make that possible.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
his video has a lot of footage of the kind of things that really helped. enlightening stuff

Last edited:

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should make this tech open-source. It's nice they did it for this game but if they're going to keep the work for themselves it's useless. Most teams are never going to have the budget and resources to do incorporate all these accessibility settings into their own games, but now everyone's going to try and judge other game's approaches to accessibility to this one's which is pretty unfair.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is awesome to watch

It makes me very happy and also makes me feel incredibly privileged.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I know this isn't what you asked for but someone did do a review on them
caniplaythat.com

The Last of Us 2 — Deaf/HoH Review

"The Last of Us 2 is the game of a generation. Not in its narrative and artistic beauty, [...] but in its accessibility." Check out our review here.

BlueJay

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible stuff from Naughty Dog. Increasing accessibility should be one of the industry's priorities moving forward.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this in the review thread and yes it is an emotional video to watch.

What intrigues is what this means for other Sony's 1st party studios for their future projects. Furthermore, with the advent of 3D audio, what other new features would be made available to legally blind players is an avenue absolutely worth keeping an eye on.
I am curious about this too, I hope accessibility features like that are filtered into ALL of their FP titles

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The high contrast mode really drives home the fact that letting people play your game > artistic integrity. You lose almost all of the art assets by providing such an option, but people who would otherwise not be able to play your game are able to enjoy it. Naughty Dog doing absolutely incredible work here and I desperately hope all AAA devs dedicate a similar amount of time to creating such robust options.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It's great. I'm glad with stuff like this and obviously the likes of the Adaptive Controller that accessibility has become important.

Long may it continue!

Future Gazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is wonderful. Props to Naughty Dog, hopefully many more devs follow suit.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The good thing about this is Sony's studious typically share technology, so I can see these options coming to most (maybe all) of their games going forward.

I really hope so but I don't expect it.
Uncharted 4 already had a bunch of accessibility options, stuff that I'm pretty sure didn't Cary over to GoW, Horizon or Days Gone.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm sure some remember when Stevie Wonder talked about wishing to play games someday during the VGA's.

Glad we're finally getting there.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's an awesome work from ND. I know that this kind of features are not applicable to every game, but It would be great that at least slow paced / story focus games tried to include this features.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Super fucking heartwarming. Standout work from Naughty Dog. Every other developer should take note.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I hope this becomes an industry standard. The more people who can enjoy this medium the better. Tech shouldn't leave people behind it should be helping them forward.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Absolutely beautiful! The video made me cry. It's such a heartwarming video! We need more games with more accessibility options.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
I work in web and app development and accessibility support is always a core part of what we develop, and I find it very frustrating when other sites and apps don't have even the most basic support for accessibility.

It can be difficult to build in support, especially on older web platforms and frameworks that haven't been built with it in mind and there's a lot of tech debt - but it's such a crucial piece of work to ensure that all users can have the best experience possible, that it needs to be one of the foundational pieces of any development project.

To see the level of work that's gone into what ND have delivered here is no small feat, and is surely industry best. Other development teams need to take note and follow suit.
Seeing some of the reactions to this really bring home how important this work is.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I really hope so but I don't expect it.
Uncharted 4 already had a bunch of accessibility options, stuff that I'm pretty sure didn't Cary over to GoW, Horizon or Days Gone.

That is true, and it shows that Naughty Dog did grow on the options, they always had also a good selection of options in the sound and screen field.
Other studios from Sony like Santa Monica or not this far.

Maybe that will change now while they are under the PS Studios brand.
Some standard wouldn't be bad for the studio line.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Bravo Naughty Dog. Accessibility features like these need to be an industry standard.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
This is why threads about giving some games an easier mode, and the recent thread about Demon Souls "Casual Mode" and people going off on how their precious little product might appeal to other people fucking pisses me off, it doesn't even effect them.

This here is amazing and inclusive, I know it's not just about difficulty.