• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How feasible could it be?, no weapons of any kind. Just punches, kicks, throws, choke holds.etc. If any weapons were to be used at most you'd get a baseball bat, nunchuks, a knife... Dropped into an urban jungle, skyscrapers, zip-lines, schools, retail stores, amusement parks. Do you think it could work?, I think it would be interesting since they wouldn't be able to snipe you from afar and it would force combat to be toe to toe, mano a mano.

Is it a terrible idea?, should a dev still my idea? :B

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
It could be great

They should also have increasing stats like speed and attack power that go up as you defeat enemies in order to encourage players to fight.

It could start with people with normal human abilities. Then, at the end, the final two players fight like in DBZ

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I think there should be some sort of gear for the sake of loot... or maybe not.

I guess it's feasible, but the map probably wouldn't need to be as big.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
yeah dude I've been waiting for a Battle Royale take on Chivalry for years

I think there's a lot of potential in a melee-focused BR but I'd want something like Chivalry's combat system, or Dead Island's optional analog combat system, to have something more to do than mash at enemies and block when it's their turn to mash.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
How feasible could it be?, no weapons of any kind. Just punches, kicks, throws, choke holds.etc. If any weapons were to be used at most you'd get a baseball bat, nunchuks, a knife... Dropped into an urban jungle, skyscrapers, zip-lines, schools, retail stores, amusement parks. Do you think it could work?, I think it would be interesting since they wouldn't be able to snipe you from afar and it would force combat to be toe to toe, mano a mano.

I feel like this would be a mode in one of those Goofy battle royales. They'd have to do some crazy gimmicky stuff to make it a standalone game.

Or at least i think so. If you just drop on a map and you're fully prepared from the start, it will be kinda boring. Would there be some side objectives?

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Not quite the hand to hand combat you speak of but there is a game with souls like combat that attempted this with a lower player count.
It's called Egress. It was pretty rough around the edges and I don't think it's doing to well on Steam.

I do like the idea however. Better executed and in a larger scale.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I just struggle to see an implementation that isn't ruined completely by third-partying. Maybe it could work.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure I saw an Asian online game similar to this idea, I only saw a short video but looked like it was martial arts battle Royale with swords and stuff. Can't remember the name so cant find the video...

With good enough combat it could definitely be a great thing, I'd at least try something like that as I'm more interested in melee combat than ranged usually.

OP
OP
pixelation

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this would be a mode in one of those Goofy battle royales. They'd have to do some crazy gimmicky stuff to make it a standalone game.

Or at least i think so. If you just drop on a map and you're fully prepared from the start, it will be kinda boring. Would there be some side objectives?
Yeah I think it could also work as a complementary game mode on one of the big BR games, but I also think it could work as a standalone game.
Not quite the hand to hand combat you speak of but there is a game with souls like combat that attempted this with a lower player count.
It's called Egress. It was pretty rough around the edges and I don't think it's doing to well on Steam.

I do like the idea however. Better executed and in a larger scale.

Well that game looks interesting, but I wouldn't want to have any attacks that can be performed from far away ( I saw some flying fireballs?), and also it would be set in a modern time, lots of style and cool music. Lots of customization options for the characters.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
yeah dude I've been waiting for a Battle Royale take on Chivalry for years

I think there's a lot of potential in a melee-focused BR but I'd want something like Chivalry's combat system, or Dead Island's optional analog combat system, to have something more to do than mash at enemies and block when it's their turn to mash.
I would be very in to something like this.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it works as well because there's very little incentive to actually run up to enemies and fight them. To have a fight at melee range, both players have to consent to a fight and engage each other. If one person doesn't want to fight, they can just run away.

This is different in shooter games with ranged weapons because only one person has to consent to the fight. Combine that with the fact that the person who initiates the fight has a first-mover advantage over the enemy, and the game theory just works out such that fights happen all the time.

I suppose you could work around this by having very strong incentives for engaging and/or punishments for being a coward, but It's probably not a simple problem to solve without it feeling very artificial.

Oct 25, 2017
NC
Gang based Battle Royale that takes place in a large metropolis. Complete 3d brawler with heavy attacks, light attacks, grapples, throws, environmental attacks and whatnot. Use the combat system from Def Jam Fight for NY in it. Select a fighting style for your character before you begin a game. Something like that could work wonders.

Edit: and for squad battles have team up grapples too for co-operative incentive.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The Culling was melee only IIRC. It was fun but the support from the devs was trash.

Oct 27, 2017
Gang based Battle Royale that takes place in a large metropolis. Complete 3d brawler with heavy attacks, light attacks, grapples, throws, environmental attacks and whatnot. Use the combat system from Def Jam Fight for NY in it. Select a fighting style for your character before you begin a game. Something like that could work wonders.

Get The Warriors license for this

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC there is one in China.

Here:
https://www.abacusnews.com/digital-...egrounds-chinese-martial-arts/article/2144368
Imagine PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds crossed with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon -- a battle royale game where guns are replaced by swords.
That's Swordsman X, a new title for PC from Cube Game that just finished a closed beta test. It takes the formula of games like PUBG -- 100 players scavenging for weapons, killing everyone else to become the last one standing -- and combines it with martial arts elements from Chinese martial arts stories, known as wuxia.
So instead of driving a jeep through the desert avoiding bazooka fire, you dodge flying daggers while riding through a bamboo forest atop a stallion. You can also walk on walls, bounce off trees, and slash your enemies while lunging and twirling like Jet Li.
wb4_cropped.jpeg

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Does the "no weapons" include swords and other bladed weapons? I can't see a melee only BR working without them.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BR = Lots of players = Large map.

Melee only combat on a large map = lots of running around to get close to someone.

It is an awful idea. Unless you are doing BR for like 10-20 people.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Anarchy Reigns as a Battle Royal,

Woooo boy I'd be all in.

A Dynasty Warriors BR would be interesting as well. Movesets would be tied to the weapons you find. Maybe also find items that summon ai guards that follow you.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
It better not be first person because no one has really figured out how to do first person hand to hand combat yet.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
It could be great

They should also have increasing stats like speed and attack power that go up as you defeat enemies in order to encourage players to fight.

It could start with people with normal human abilities. Then, at the end, the final two players fight like in DBZ
I really dig this idea.
First thought that came to mind. Even if it isn't exactly what the OP is asking for

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
I always thought that a Battle Royale game based on the movie Battle Royale would be great. I always liked the weapon selection and distribution method from the movie.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
My favourite part of Apex Legends so far is just running at an enemy and kicking them to death, so count me in.