• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You really can't go wrong with pixel art. It's impressive how since we transitioned beyond pixel art, art has decreased quickly and everything is a hit or a miss, or at least divisible. And gets dated quickly. But pixel art don't suffer from that. It just works right out of the box.

So, if you unsure about your art style, just go with pixel art. If you can't make a pixel art game look good, you won't manage to make another art style look good either.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a LOT of ugly pixel art. It's easy to mess up and very hard to get right. There's a lot of talent out there though..

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's actually the opposite, pixel art is something really hard, you need to conceive what you want with reduced details and make sure that people other than you understand what exactly did you draw.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think it's more that we remember the pixel art that looks great 30 years later, which proves it can be timeless, but we don't tend to discuss the stuff that was bad at the time too. A bit like how the discussion of 8-bit games tends to revolve around a very small fraction of those games today.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
www.resetera.com

Are there any examples of bad pixel art?

Okay. This might be a hot take (and probably wrong), but generally all pixel art is fine. I can't think of an example of pixel art that is objectively bad. I'm sure that some exists, but I haven't seen it. What is the worst pixel art in gaming? Edit: You folks are fast. Also, delete if this...

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
This is just not true. Pixel art can be ugly as hell and there's people who can manage to make gorgeous stuff in other styles and would be unable to do pixel art at all.

In fact, I'd even say that making pixel art look good is REALLY difficult.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, there is definitely some ugly pixel art out there.

It's lovely when done well but it takes quite a bit of skill to make it look and move right.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should look up the term "pillow shading," OP
a7146ec21ca0b0963ac5c964aabeaa29.jpg

pixel-art-tutorial-in-depth.png

now you will recognize it all the time

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
www.resetera.com

Are there any examples of bad pixel art?

Okay. This might be a hot take (and probably wrong), but generally all pixel art is fine. I can't think of an example of pixel art that is objectively bad. I'm sure that some exists, but I haven't seen it. What is the worst pixel art in gaming? Edit: You folks are fast. Also, delete if this...
Somebody in that thread had the audacity to suggest Celeste lmao

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Youre correlating pixel art with stylized art.

Bad looking art comes in all flavors

Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about. There are lots of ugly pixel art games. If your pixel art is based on bad art, it'll look ugly. If the animation is janky, it can look ugly. If the pixel art itself is just badly done, it can look ugly

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So, if you unsure about your art style, just go with pixel art. If you can't make a pixel art game look good, you won't manage to make another art style look good either.
You make pixel art sound like bottom of the barrel here but at this point, it's a style that you choose and not hardware constraints. If you choose it you have to execute well or it's damn terrible. Just like any art style.

It's not like "can't paint? try crayons!"

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God no there are plenty of sprite based games that look bad, even outside of art style taste or execution.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
McPixel_Steam.jpg

It's called pixel ART for a reason. There's a lot of choices you have to make.

You could also mix pixel sizes, which a lot of indie games do nowadays.
Hh2l6.png

I can't find many good examples right now, but I have seen stuff like this happen with the game HUD and menus:
maxresdefault.jpg

Edit:

But I agree with OP's suggestion that it's easier to make something in pixelart look good than any other art from. You are taking advantage of how the users might read the information, after all. You need to be clear, but you don't have the same "suspension of disbelief" luxury with other artstyles.

That said, if you REALLY can't do art... you might want to hire someone else for that role, regardless of the game being pixelated or not.

Last edited:

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I can agree to an extent that pixel art is harder to mess up but it's not the sure fire way to make a beautiful game like you're implying

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
oh no, about 99% of pixel art sucks a lot. I know, because I'm part of those 99% :(

Nov 11, 2017
For me pixel art looks mostly good unless they introduce modern effects into it. Things like depth of field, blur, bloom look god awful when combined with pixel art aesthetic.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Mother Russia Bleeds is one of the most ugliest pixel art games I've ever seen (sorry, no hard feelings).

Mother_Russia_Bleeds_American_1200_675_81_s.jpg

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I actually think most pixel art is ugly nowadays. Devs use it as it can be cheap, but good pixel art is both expensive and time consuming. Owlboy, Celeste, Hyperlight Drifter, Sonic Mania, Blasphemous, Eastward, etc. all look incredible, but there are so many bad looking pixel art games that get released nowadays.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Op, have you ever tried pixelart? (or 3D modeling?) I used to do 32x sprites, and it's freaking hard to do something that looks good.
I can promise you it's way easier to do a 3D model that looks reasonable than good Pixel Art.