• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
Cashing a check while black.
Cleveland man alleges racial profiling after bank refuses to cash check, calls 911
Paul McCowns tells Cleveland 19 he went to the Huntington branch inside Giant Eagle on Biddulph Ave in Brooklyn on December 1st.

"I had got a new job. I worked there for about three weeks," he said.

McCowns said this was the first check from his new job with an electric company.

He was asked for two forms of ID, which both he and bank employees confirm he provided. The bank says McCowns also provided a fingerprint, per bank policy for non-Huntington customers who wish to cash checks.

According to McCowns, bank employees started looking at the computer screen and questioning the transaction.

"They tried to call my employer numerous times. He never picked up the phone," he said.

The paycheck was for a little more than $1,000. Tellers told him they couldn't cash it. So, McCowns said he left the bank.

"I get in my truck and the squad car pull in front of me and he says get out the car," McCowns said.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

"We reached out to the bank. A bank rep said there have been 11 cases of fraud at this branch in just the last few months. The rep said the tellers were being hyper vigilant."

I don't see how this helps their argument. 11 cases of fraud in a few months? How many legit transactions did they do in those months? 500? 1000? 5000? 11 is a ridiculously low number.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Any excuse to deny us the same privileges others get in this country without ever having to think about it.

Bank tellers are being "hyper vigilant" about the 12th potential transaction fraud in how many months? How about the black people in this country having to be hyper vigilant about being black in america when everything we do, even the most mundane and innocuous, is viewed under a microscope? It's exhausting. We just want to be left the fuck alone so we can live our lives unmolested.

Last edited:

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
See I want to try to see it from their angle but after 2 ID checks and a finger print check and you still think a black guy cashing $1k is suspicious? Foh

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL why is he trying to talk to them like they're friends? Yo bro, check it out sorry for throwing a chair at you but check it I fought two Black guys last week!

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
2013-05-10-notracist.jpg

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017

Suspended? It seems they are kind of tolerate discrimination and racism seeing as they didn't fire dude.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
White manager calls police on black kids for shoplifting, but they have the receipts
Ukiah Swain is the mother of four teenage boys who were harassed by a manager at a Kroger's in Mesquite, Texas last week. Swain told Dallas Fort Worth's NBC5 that the manager at that store called the police on her teenage sons after they purchased snacks at the store. Why did he call them? For shoplifting. Why did the manager single out these black male teens? According to 16-year-old Zavarion Swain, the manager told him "We've had problems with people like you before."

When the police arrived, the teens produced the receipts, freshly printed, but still received a trespassing warning. This means that for one year, any one of these kids can be arrested at the discretion of either the manager or the police if they step foot inside of that Kroger establishment.

Zavarion's mother, Ukiah, then confronted the manager, who laughed and told her that he thought they looked like they could be shoplifters. After posting a video of the aftermath to Facebook, local news picked up the story and Kroger's has quickly gone into damage control mode, promising "sensitivity training" to all staff in Northern-Texas Kroger stores, as well as saying that they have "rescinded" the complaint against the kids.
Manager calls police on young teens AFTER they purchase snacks

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
The cops still issuing a trespassing warning instead of saying anything to the manager is fucked up.

This will keep happening until fines are dished for wasting the cops time.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I would ask for something as far as their reasoning as to why they looked like shoplifters. If they brought up race, then it's a 100% nope, not issuing a trespassing notice/warning. Not only that, I'll make sure to include that in my report that the kids were being profile because of their race.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
They better fire that officer at the very least. I hope this gentleman gets a good attorney and sues the department. There's no logical reason whatsoever that a person sitting behind a private property sign should even be addressed on whether they belonged there or not. Then detained for further questioning. WOW.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I'm honored to have made this list. It took alot of days of hard work, focus, dedication, and sleepless nights.

I wanna thank my parents for motivating me and having my back every step of the way. I wanna thank the Universal Creator for giving the this opportunity in life. I wanna thank my fans for supporting me unconditionally.

I never thought id make it here and I'm living proof that if you work towards it, you can achieve it!!

Thank you all so much! Thank you!!

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017

The "manager" said he wouldn't refund his ticket because he flashed a flashlight in the theater?...I hope AMC swaps out all of management at that theater, and fuck the black cop saying "why didn't you just show the ticket?"

I'm honored to have made this list. It took alot of days of hard work, focus, dedication, and sleepless nights.

I wanna thank my parents for motivating me and having my back every step of the way. I wanna thank the Universal Creator for giving the this opportunity in life. I wanna thank my fans for supporting me unconditionally.

I never thought id make it here and I'm living proof that if you work towards it, you can achieve it!!

Thank you all so much! Thank you!!

Are you thee Phoenix Man???

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
is this legit becoming a thing? what even does this mean?
It means she was uppity and didn't respect his authority and do 100% of what he told her to do even though it was wrong. I honestly believe if a police officer told you to jump off of a building and you didn't comply you would be charged with resisting an officer without violence.

I don't think these people receive training anymore; or they definitely aren't present and learning. Something like this should never lead to an arrest of a victim. Surprise, people are going to be agitated and distressed getting a weapon pulled on them. They may not be calm. Their job as an officer should be to deescalate that; reassure them things are being handled, ask what they need and if there is anyone they can call on their behalf to look after them.

But they just don't care about serving the community. Putting your hands on a victim after something like this, forcing them to the ground and arresting them does the exact opposite!

It's REALLY telling that a black woman calls in a valid report on someone brandishing a weapon at her and gets arrested. Yet all these white women can just make any sort of nonsense call of made up junk in their heads to sic the police on black people and they don't even get so much as a talking to.

Our lives are meaningless until systemic racism is actually acknowledged and addressed!

Faux Edit: Just went to read the article and I take back my training comments. Let this sink in, the officer who instigated this was a field training officer. Yeah... so they do receive training and this is the quality and extent of that. If the dept. gave a shit they should probably re-train all the officers he's 'trained', but there's no guarantee the next field training officer won't be just as bad.

Sorry for the rant I'm just really upset.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why can't people fine police departments in case of such incidents? It would simplify things:

- Case of discrimination and racist behaviour by policemen
- Huge monetary fines in similar cases
- Police force more careful in judgment

Annoying Old Party Man

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Who are the people who are going to fine the police departments, and why are they immune to institutionalized racism?

What I'm saying is - why don't the people (and their families) of the incidents of racism have more legal leverage against the police departments? Police seems to be above the law - and it is fucked up. A policeman/woman should be really afraid of being fined for such a kind of behaviour.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm saying is - why don't the people (and their families) of the incidents of racism have more legal leverage against the police departments? Police seems to be above the law - and it is fucked up. A policeman/woman should be really afraid of being fined for such a kind of behaviour.
Because the law will also take the police's side. The law also discriminates. It doesn't just come down to the police.

Annoying Old Party Man

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because the law will also take the police's side. The law also discriminates. It doesn't just come down to the police.

That's what I'm saying - it's fucked up. There should be a clear distinction between those two, so people - especially in countries like the U.S. could be protected from such a kind of Police Force.

Oct 25, 2017
It means she was uppity and didn't respect his authority and do 100% of what he told her to do even though it was wrong. I honestly believe if a police officer told you to jump off of a building and you didn't comply you would be charged with resisting an officer without violence.

I don't think these people receive training anymore; or they definitely aren't present and learning. Something like this should never lead to an arrest of a victim. Surprise, people are going to be agitated and distressed getting a weapon pulled on them. They may not be calm. Their job as an officer should be to deescalate that; reassure them things are being handled, ask what they need and if there is anyone they can call on their behalf to look after them.

But they just don't care about serving the community. Putting your hands on a victim after something like this, forcing them to the ground and arresting them does the exact opposite!

It's REALLY telling that a black woman calls in a valid report on someone brandishing a weapon at her and gets arrested. Yet all these white women can just make any sort of nonsense call of made up junk in their heads to sic the police on black people and they don't even get so much as a talking to.

Our lives are meaningless until systemic racism is actually acknowledged and addressed!

Faux Edit: Just went to read the article and I take back my training comments. Let this sink in, the officer who instigated this was a field training officer. Yeah... so they do receive training and this is the quality and extent of that. If the dept. gave a shit they should probably re-train all the officers he's 'trained', but there's no guarantee the next field training officer won't be just as bad.

Sorry for the rant I'm just really upset.
All good, just keepin it 100

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People out here still showing their ass.

I would love to have heard that cop ask that lawyer that question. I hope he cuts his balls off with that civil suit.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It really makes you feel alone. Like there is no way in hell I can trust in law enforcement, or even the kindness of strangers, which is other courtesies white people have.