• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Ardyn in FFXV. Such a great character, but disappointing final boss fight, especially for a FF game

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Dying Light.
Absolutely garbage story, with the main protags and antags being some of the worst I've ever had to deal with, redeemed with some of the funnest gameplay I've ever had in a zombie game.
Despite being an incredible expansion that improves the game a lot, The Following suffers from piss poor writing, as well as (if canon) destroys any point of trying to finish the fucking expansion.
Thank god dying light 2 has actual writers this time around, and a real budget. Spring gonna be a good ass season.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Bayonetta 2's boss was a pretty huge step down from the fabulousness that was the first game's ending sequence, which is understandable. But it's still a little disappointing because there are at least half a dozen setpieces in Bayonetta 2 that are more exciting than the final boss.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
zeus in GoW 3 is a pretty weak final boss in my opinion, especially if we compare him to the final battle of GoW 2 :v

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
x7jh7gG.png

This button from Rage.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The main appeal of the final boss is that it's climatic in all the right ways. I
It's just a forced shuffle that is trying to one-up Ocarina. The great thing about Ocarina is how dark and dramatic its climactic fights are. TP tries to impress you with "look we can do this!" But it feels emotionless to me and it also feels clunky as hell the way you keep beating him and then he just tries a different form, not only 3 times but 4 times. In Ocarina you keep thinking he's truly dead. He's passed out, and uses his last strength to bring the castle down with all of you. Then it's quiet and you get real gameplay where you walk around the crumbled castle and he jumps out at you, twisted and desperate and he transforms into an imposing monster. In Twilight Princess, you beat him, cutscene, you beat him again, cutscene, you beat him again, cutscene and it is just poorly executed on top of Ganon not having a natural place in the story.

It really feels like he's just goofing around until you finally stab him in his stupid white circle.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The robot phase of calamity ganon is good. The pig in the plain is just a whatever set piece, but it's still got good music and feelings in the end
TP's is pretty lame yeah. Fighting zelda was dumb.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Armored Ventus Nightmare in Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance.

Talk about an anti-climactic battle to end the end. Young Xehanort should have just been the final battle of that game.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Every major boss fight in Horizon is the same square robotic missile platform enemy, just in different states of functionality, right? I'm not crazy?
Not true, but the dlc with the ultimate robot beast is the best boss in the game. I remember fighting it and thinking it felt like a Souls boss. Never figured a way to take it down easily like the other big robots.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
All Uncharted games except the second one.

But the second uncharted boss is terrible. Uncharted 4 is a bit disconnected from its gameplay, but I thought it was a much more exciting finale than shooting blue exploding tree tumors.
Dark Beast Ganon in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was very underwhelming.

He just stands there, occasionally turning slightly in a futile attempt to attack you with an extremely slow and narrow beam attack that is almost impossible to get hit by, while you effortlessly fire arrows into giant targets that are painted on his enormous stationary body for you.

Came into this thread with this boss in my mind. Pretty disappointing as I honestly think zelda games tend to have some great and climactic final bosses. Final boss in botw felt like a warm up to the true final boss, and then it just ended. What a let down.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Calamity Ganon I was cool with just because I saw it as basically a massive interactive cutscene - first two forms were the real battle, field 'battle' was just an epic cutscene you played out rather than a simple QTE. At the time I presumed one of the reasons he was so simple was to avoid making someone redo the entire previous battle if you died on Calamity Ganon, certainly still think that's a possibility.

Rage 'boss' is certainly up there, FFIX's would be as well (maybe if they had just swapped the final two bosses it would have been fine - the 'suprise!' final boss just becomes a random minion boss).

I suppose I'd put Katana Zero's in here - it's a fun enough fight, but you beat it and the game is over at that point when it seems like you're only halfway through. Hopefully gets rectified with content additions.

CaptainDreads

Nov 7, 2017
Insert any "final boss is a QTE" from that fad in the early/mid 2010s
The two which immediately stick in my mind are Shadow of War and Dying Light.

Although, having now being reminded in the thread, I honestly thought Dark Beast Ganon from BotW was some kind of joke I didn't get.

Edit: Ooh actually I guess Gradius should probably take this. The final "boss" is just a brain which can't attack you at all.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina of Time Ganon.

Fucker is barely twice your height and slower than molasses. I fully expected GIGANTIC Ganon standing in the lava and towering over the platform, slamming down on it and trying to tilt you into the lava. Instead, I got some smallboi that I can beat with the megaton hammer and iron boots on. A super disappointing end to an otherwise fantastic game and my only real gripe about it.
Oh man, I so disagree with this. Sure the fight is easy, but everything else about that fight to me is fucking amazing. The world is crumbling around you, he puts up the fire wall, and basically says "this ends now, you and me." To me, it's less that Ganondorf is in his "final form" and more that he's sort of lost control, it's his true form, not his best - so he's way more powerful, but a lot more sluggish - like Vegeta powering up too much and losing all of his speed.

I don't know - that fight is just legendary to me. The lighting, the beastly appearance of who was once a handsome dude, the stuff with Zelda - it all feels very legendary to me. Probably more than any other Zelda game, in fact.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Halo 3 for me. It's the only one I've played through(forced myself through it).. and I was so disappointed in the final boss. Probably one of the dullest games I've completed. Multiplayer was pretty fun tho.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the second uncharted boss is terrible. Uncharted 4 is a bit disconnected from its gameplay, but I thought it was a much more exciting finale than shooting blue exploding tree tumors.

Came into this thread with this boss in my mind. Pretty disappointing as I honestly think zelda games tend to have some great and climactic final bosses. Final boss in botw felt like a warm up to the true final boss, and then it just ended. What a let down.
At least the second game has a real boss, the fourth one is a QTE fest.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
For me Yu-Yevon in FFX was pretty anticlimactic. I understand that the final boss was probably Jecht but fighting that weird pokemon-like thing was kinda meh.
The last boss in Horizon: Zero Dawn was pretty crappy too. They have such amazing enemy design and just make us fight one of the same machines we already downed before.

Nov 17, 2017
It's just a forced shuffle that is trying to one-up Ocarina. The great thing about Ocarina is how dark and dramatic its climactic fights are. TP tries to impress you with "look we can do this!" But it feels emotionless to me and it also feels clunky as hell the way you keep beating him and then he just tries a different form, not only 3 times but 4 times. In Ocarina you keep thinking he's truly dead. He's passed out, and uses his last strength to bring the castle down with all of you. Then it's quiet and you get real gameplay where you walk around the crumbled castle and he jumps out at you, twisted and desperate and he transforms into an imposing monster. In Twilight Princess, you beat him, cutscene, you beat him again, cutscene, you beat him again, cutscene and it is just poorly executed on top of Ganon not having a natural place in the story.

It really feels like he's just goofing around until you finally stab him in his stupid white circle.
I disagree. It really shows that Ganondorf is this incredibly powerful foe as he should be. He won't go down so easily. It feels like a multi form boss in a JRPG and feels like a true final boss.

Ganondorf tests you in all your abilities which is a great mark of a final boss. He tries everything in his arsenal to defeat you. It really highlights that he and Link are two embodiments of the triforce, two sides of the same coin because everything Ganondorf challenges you to, Link can also do in some way. The parallels are really great and it's just cool to see Link and Ganondorf fight on the same level. Choosing the human form to be the last fight was perfect.We never saw Link and Ganondorf clash swords and stare each other down face to face like that outside of the Spaceworld Demo and now we actually got to do it. In fact, I prefer final bosses where you are fighting someone on the same level as you as opposed to a big mindless monster.

Also anyone who thinks Ganondorf was forced into the story really needs to replay the game. He's foreshadowed and introduced fairly early in the game and the plot doesn't actually make sense without him. Aonuma even stated that they were wanting to have Ganondorf to tell the story of what happened after Link goes back to his time in OoT's ending since the game before (Wind Waker) showed us what happened to the one Adult Link sealed in the future. That's another argument entirely though. Obviously we fundamentally disagree on this boss fight and I doubt either one of us will budge lol

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
There a lot of good answer here:

Mine would be Grandia 2, the game wasn't super challenging at all, but the last boss wasn't able to hit me once.... I destroyed him.

Nov 17, 2017
Dark Beast Ganon in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was very underwhelming.

He just stands there, occasionally turning slightly in a futile attempt to attack you with an extremely slow and narrow beam attack that is almost impossible to get hit by, while you effortlessly fire arrows into giant targets that are painted on his enormous stationary body for you.
I still can't believe they didn't go for the obvious thing and have you climb Ganon to attack a weak point.

I imagine a version of the fight where he's still pretty slow but he's sending Guardians after you and spewing that purple goop you see throughout the game to get in your way. Zelda summons those big glowing targets but instead of it just doing straight damage, it stuns Ganon, making him fall down for a long time. Then you climb onto his back and destroy one of those malice eyes which damages him. Repeat maybe twice and then do the finisher like how they already have it. Wouldn't be that much harder but it'd feel like he was actually trying to kill you and use more of the game's mechanics.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yu Yevon is more of a storytelling component in the framework of a "fight", ie making the player use the battle mechanics to deliberately kill off the aeons instead of just showing it in a cutscene. I really wouldn't consider it the Final Boss.

Same general premise behind King Allant in Demon's Souls.

Edit: Removed spoiler tags because thread is tagged.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Final Boss of FFIX: Necrid
Cannot believe they went with him instead of Kuja. I still dont know who he is.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I love BOTW and will defend it to the death for its decisions in game design in all but one aspect. Its final boss. The last fight with Ganon is childs play and too visually and mechanically similar to literally every other ganon fight. If we had other bosses to compare in the game it might have made it easier to deal with but the fight is really bad and then the pig boss is boring too.

Compare that to stampeding Ganon in Hyrule Warriors and having to take him down with combos and light arrows or the fight at the end of Ocarina and it's night and day.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Aside from a few already mentioned like Gold Atlas and Titan Joke or the QTE 'fights' again Sauron, the one that stands out to me is Suikoden 4. Suikoden tends to have a final boss fight against one of the True Runes which are magic objects that govern life and order in the world, with the main character using being the holder of one of those objects. 1, 2, 3, and 5 all end on a fight against one, either a user morphing with them to face you or the physical rage of the rune coming to life to knock to it senses. 4 you instead fight a tree. Not a cool evil tree like Exdeath from Final Fantasy V, just a tree the dorky villain used to make the destructive canon shells that the ship battle use.

I get it similar to the previous entries in the series, but like 4 in general it just doesn't fit with the series precedent.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Having just replayed Bioshock, I was reminded of just how bad the final encounter with Fontaine/Atlas was. Essentially, he's a palette-swapped Big Daddy whose basic attacks follow theirs, and he can be dispatched even easier as you're not strafing around cramped quarters. You can even cheese the encounter by spamming the grenade launcher and/or the chemical thrower. Definitely a let-down final boss in an otherwise fantastic game.

What are yours, Era?

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and the
Oh, we finished funding and time for this game! Let's put back the very same battle with Kain again, who will notice it?

Also, the final boss of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

And yes, I know that
if you do NOT free the four titans the last boss is harder... but that's a bad argument, as, let's be honest... WHO would not free the four titans?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I was gonna say I remember Sonic Generations pretty fondly except for that final boss which sucked complete ass.
The final ~15% of the game (Planet Wisp and onwards) just complete falls flat on its face. Sonic Team very clearly ran of time to make the finale enjoyable in any possible way. A complete mess.

If I ever go back to that game I'm thinking I may just stop my playthrough once I finish Rooftop Run.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Also anyone who thinks Ganondorf was forced into the story really needs to replay the game.
I played it twice with redemption in mind, thinking that now that I accept what happens beforehand, I'll appreciate it more.

However, exactly like the first time as much as I think the climb into the Hyrule Castle kinda works, I'm halfway through the Ganon battle before I was like "this doesn't do it at all for me."

And it really is just that sense of the "ganondorf shuffle" on top of how he undermines what Zant was being built up to be prior to the Twilight Realm part. But I can't stress enough how poorly paced the multiple forms are. It just feels like a battle that's constantly starting and stopping, and unlike Ocarina of Time or even Skyward Sword there isn't any forward momentum to drive each form into the next. I always said that as much as Skyward Sword was mediocre it felt like a more consistent experience than Twilight Princess did. The finale of that game included running down the spiral to Demise's lair with hundreds of enemies coming at you, because you need to stop a ritual in the making. You're then held back by Ghirahim who puts you up in the air with himself, until you put him back down to the ground, but once that happens his mission is done; the ritual was completed, and Demise is about to return. That was good pacing whether you liked Demise or not.

In Twilight Princess you just go up to the castle which is decently fortified, you enter the throne room where Ganon sits but hasn't really been doing anything but trap Zelda there (he is not even here to get the Triforce even though he would have had it with Link right then and there). So he plays his evil-dude card and make Zelda his puppet. You fight that, his Twilight-ified essence turns him into a beast. Okay, epic enough. You kill the Beast in a Beast vs Beast fight and it's cool. Now Midna attacks Ganon with her Fused Twilight form and somehow gets him warped to Hyrule field. You get down there too and Midna is apparently dead because Ganondorf has her Fused Magic in his hand on a horse. You fight him horseback to make sure he's dead I suppose (not that he seems to have anything partiuclary he's doing anymore), with Light Arrows. You get him off his dumb horse and fight him Mano Y Mano.

I mean, it's really just a series of fights with a contrived development between every turn. And there isn't that easy premise of "You must stop X thing from happening". By the time you get to the end of the game there is no central conflict left anymore. It's just Link vs Ganon. Midna vs Ganon. Ganon is strong man, oh no, he must be stopped. Extremely flat entry in the Ganondorf history.

In Ocarina of Time the undercurrent to the whole fight was that the future has been fucked becuase of Ganon's reign. You must stop him because he screwed up the entire world. In Twilight Princess you already fixed the Twilight tears in the world of light not even halfway through the story, and Ganon's role is as the guy that set that plot in motion. He doesn't rule Hyrule even. He's just the sniveling evil bastard that played a trick on everyone and you're just kicking his ass to make sure he doesn't bother anyone again. It's just lame.

Last edited: