• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_ncvip2RcZl1tjrwu3o5_r4_500.gifv

I... I don't even remember. Was this Dark Souls II?
I had a similar reaction. I've played DS2 more recently than 1 and 3, too, and I'm always blown away by how much of that game I've forgotten.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Has to be Final Fantasy Type-0 HD. The final boss is a scripted story fight as far as I can tell. Devoid of challenge.

I don't mind a scripted story fight as long as it has meaning and there was (preferably) a legitimate fight just before it, ala FFX.
That said, Type-0's final boss was just one of many issues I had with that game overall. So I agree.

JohnF

Jan 19, 2019
I don't mind a scripted story fight as long as it has meaning and there was (preferably) a legitimate fight just before it, ala FFX.
That said, Type-0's final boss was just one of many issues I had with that game overall. So I agree.
Right. I don't mind a scripted fight if there's a real one right before it... but this game doesn't have one hah. Very strange decision.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I think it might be the King of the Wild Hunt, just an annoyance more than the ultimate threat. After 100+ hours, you want a mind blowing battle, both pyshical and pychological challenge. The expansions had better final bosses.
Oh yeah. It was really an easy fight. You spend the entire game hidding from him. The fight against the witches was way more difficult.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Spoilered this one since it's so recent I'd feel mean

I'd have been happier if the game ended with Trilla, instead we got a must-lose Vader boss fight which just felt like lazy fan-service in a game that otherwise was perfectly standalone. He wasn't even mentioned until then! Even the Grand Inquisitor would have made more sense and felt more earned, IMO.

Also I love Mass Effect 3 but even I'll admit the final boss essentially being a rando commonplace enemy was really funny out of context

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I liked the final boss of Bioshock. At the very least, it was better than "defeat a bunch of enemies" like on 2 or Infinite

DIE2DqF.png

Lore-wise, maybe Necron(FF9)? It's too out of left field to resonate with the rest of the story and just feels sorta out of place.

Not to say its design isn't neat. The setting is cool anyways.

Necron is death incarnated in a game about life. It makes every sense in the lore and people criticizing it didn't understood what's going on in FFIX.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I came in to say Calamity Ganon, but honestly, while that encounter sucked, it wasn't significantly worse than the other horrible bosses in the game. They make a great study on why Zelda bosses are traditionally "puzzles" to be solved and not typical combat exercises.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah. It was really an easy fight. You spend the entire game hidding from him. The fight against the witches was way more difficult.
I think it's also because you learn little about him so the battle is also emotionally unengaging. I kind of feel like Avalach and Eredin should have turned out to be one in the same and it's the deceit is apart of the hunt or the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Spoilered this one since it's so recent I'd feel mean

I'd have been happier if the game ended with Trilla, instead we got a must-lose Vader boss fight which just felt like lazy fan-service in a game that otherwise was perfectly standalone. He wasn't even mentioned until then! Even the Grand Inquisitor would have made more sense and felt more earned, IMO.
The former *is* the final boss though? The other thing is just an action setpiece. It's like complaining Metroid's final boss is the bit where you have to escape.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Necron is death incarnated in a game about life. It makes every sense in the lore and people criticizing it didn't understood what's going on in FFIX.
No, I get it. The mage dolls and genomes can't fight fate, etc etc, necron represents fate/death. Like, I get it, it's just not explained or introduced well. Necron as a concept comes out of nowhere. It's connected thematically but not explained well enough in the narrative. And I wouldn't mind that so much if the rest of the story were as abstract. It's like if the final boss of FF7 was MOTHER NATURE or something like that.

Don't tell me I don't understand 9's themes lol

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I liked the final boss of Bioshock. At the very least, it was better than "defeat a bunch of enemies" like on 2 or Infinite

Nah. He sucked. Just because he had some half-assed lore thrown in doesn't make it good.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
also the final boss of gears of war 1 for me, mostly because in my game he glitched out and stood there so i just shot him in the face until he died

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The former *is* the final boss though? The other thing is just an action setpiece. It's like complaining Metroid's final boss is the bit where you have to escape.

That's part of why it was underwhelming to me, though. You take down Trilla, the big bad of the game, only for her to immediately be cut down by someone who is a complete stranger to the main character. It just kinda soured it in retrospect, for me, and ruined the sense of finality. It'd be more like if you beat Mother Brain in Super Metroid and SAX popped up out of nowhere, landed the finishing blow, and chased you off.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Fable 2's final boss is the worse. You can literally shoot and kill him during his big end speech. So bad.

JohnF

Jan 19, 2019
No, I get it. The mage dolls and genomes can't fight fate, etc etc, necron represents fate/death. Like, I get it, it's just not explained or introduced well. Necron as a concept comes out of nowhere. It's connected thematically but not explained well enough in the narrative. And I wouldn't mind that so much if the rest of the story were as abstract. It's like if the final boss of FF7 was MOTHER NATURE or something like that.

Don't tell me I don't understand 9's themes lol
Mother Nature as the final boss for Final Fantasy VII would be hilarious. Fingers crossed for its eventual inclusion in Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Eternal Flame

Oct 26, 2017
Your Dreams
DIE2DqF.png

Lore-wise, maybe Necron(FF9)? It's too out of left field to resonate with the rest of the story and just feels sorta out of place.

Not to say its design isn't neat. The setting is cool anyways.

This is the very first thing that pops in my mind. I was like why is this the end boss? Also I think I beat him on the first try which for me is also kinda disappointing, but this thing is status effect king so maybe a lil bit of luck was involved. But even without Ultimate weapons you can put out a lot of damage compared to low enemy hit points in this game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe they should have just called him Death.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I usually count their final stage with their final battle, and even then all bowser fights in mario, 2d or 3d are better than him taking a bath and you using a non mario attack to kill him without really touching him. And still SMW, SM64, SMG1 and 2, NSMBwiiu, 3dland, 3dworld and SMO all feel appropiately epic or have a fun mechanic like his battle being an actual stage.
And that final volcano stage, that stage has to be one of the worst thibgs to even be in a mario game.
So in summary, yeah, I would say thats VERY different to the majority of Bowser's showdowns. Being 3 hits its not what makes one of thrm bad or good, is everything that surrounds it.
Not sure if I agree with NSMB and 3D Land having better finales (because I forgot those games) but I agree on the rest.

Corona Mountain was an awful level and kind of accentuated the worst parts of Sunshine.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Having just replayed Bioshock, I was reminded of just how bad the final encounter with Fontaine/Atlas was. Essentially, he's a palette-swapped Big Daddy whose basic attacks follow theirs, and he can be dispatched even easier as you're not strafing around cramped quarters. You can even cheese the encounter by spamming the grenade launcher and/or the chemical thrower. Definitely a let-down final boss in an otherwise fantastic game.

What are yours, Era?
With Fontane, you could enter his boss arena without triggering him. So you could set dozens of those wire traps before the fight even began, and since he started every fight charging right after you, well... *zap*

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I came in to say Calamity Ganon, but honestly, while that encounter sucked, it wasn't significantly worse than the other horrible bosses in the game. They make a great study on why Zelda bosses are traditionally "puzzles" to be solved and not typical combat exercises.

Yeah, I'd actually say that the bosses in Arkham Asylum and BOTW in general were pretty underwhelming, so the final boss wasn't really a let down as much as just more of the same.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Mother Nature as the final boss for Final Fantasy VII would be hilarious. Fingers crossed for its eventual inclusion in Final Fantasy VII Remake.
In the end of FF IX, you going through the memory of the world and all the bosses/guardians look like they're from hell, and you reach the origin of life, meeting the grim reaper or a lord of death, doesn't feel too out of place but maybe they should have been more clear. He was originally called Hades.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Calamity Ganon in Breath of the Wild.
Hate to say it but yeah, this is exactly right. I love the actual mechanics of the fight, but it's too easy, Calamity Ganon's design is super lackluster, as is the setting of the fight, frankly. I wish it stayed in the throne room.

Beast Ganon is the flipside of the coin. The environment it takes place in is amazing, the design is great, the fight is a fucking cakewalk, a complete victory lap, mechanically. Should've been outstanding but the boss feels like it doesn't work properly. He doesn't target you, he doesn't fight you, he just kinda wreaks havoc.

...Yanno, if that was the intention, that's kinda interesting.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gongora from Lost Odyssey was so underwhelming that he became synonymous with an underwhelming villain for me and my friend. We would refer to them as a "Gongora" for a while.